Moderno

doodlesinkentucky

We chose Moderno on the Jade for our anniversary dinner last February. Very good meal. The salad and cheese bar is very expansive, but don't fill up on that. The meats that come out are wonderful and they just keep coming. The service was excellent and a nice bottle of red wine was perfect. We had early reservations and almost had the place to ourselves which was perfect for a romantic dinner.

Enjoy!

I didn't care for the meat. The salad bar and sides were good. The drinks were very strong but I had to argue with them for my free drink I was promised due to booking an early dinner time.

The table next to me had their free drinks Same deal as mine. But they said to us they were offered them no problem

They never came around after the first time with the meats. And I thought the meat taste and quality was a little off

As I said the salad bar was good I should have gone up again.

First, go hungry because you'll be offered a lot of food. I agree that the salad bar is very good. The meat....some of it is very good, some just OK, some I could have skipped. Love the grilled pineapple. We went 2 times on our first Gem cruise, went again last fall on the Gem and probably will go on our next NCL cruise.

Going on the Gem in April and wondering what your thoughts are on the Moderno restaurant. Have not tried this yet. Looks good!:)

For us, the Moderno was "okay".

However, we made the mistake of eating lunch a few hours before.

I'd say, if and when you are going to pay extra for the Moderno,

go there hungry, or it's not worth going.

I enjoyed modern each time I went

Been there about 4 times although the first was the best since it was a new experience

I wouldn't fill up on the salad bar because you wont have room for the endless array of meats and chicken

Only negative were the desserts

Ice cream needs to be on the menu

Its the perfect ending to a perfect meal

BTW I heard NCL is moving the location of moderno in the future

That's a good thing because on the Gem you hear a lot of noise from surrounding areas

Enjoy!!

We were on the Breakaway in Dec and Moderno was very good..Went on the first night of the cruise and they gave a complementary bottle of wine with dinner..Going on the Breakaway in two weeks and look forward to dinner at Moderno again.

We dined at Moderno on the Breakaway - OUTSIDE at sunset, it was fantastic and super fun!

Moderno is very good, even for picky kids like mine. We tried most everything, and the salad bar is truly awesome.

Can someone tell me about this free drink for early dinner time thing? Hadn't heard of that, is it on all ships?

It had something to do with making a 6 or 630 reservation I believe. Scout it out online before your cruise and if it if offered do print out where you saw it. It had nothing to do with the buy 3 specialty restaurant deal or the bottle of wine if going to cagneys the first night or whatever they offer

It was a totally different offer. If you recall moderno used to be the tex mex place where they would bribe you with a free margarita at dinner so you would go there.

I have no idea if this offer is still around but the other table knew all about it just like I did. It was just that the waiter had selective memory at our table.

Edited by Crusin6

I have seen other comments that you can request meat cooked to your preference. We have not done this so I can't confirm personally.

Yep, I prefer medium-rare to medium. My wife likes medium well. We told our server upfront and they would bring her out a plate of 2-3 meats at a time. Then they would ask her what she wanted more of and do it the same way. Where mine were medium rare off the spit table side.

Going on the Gem in April and wondering what your thoughts are on the Moderno restaurant. Have not tried this yet. Looks good!:)

For us, it has become our favorite alternative dining choice. The service is outstanding, the meats wonderful and a great selection and the salad bar is not your usual salad bar. We would not miss it.

I like Moderno, the staff did not seem to mind getting the meat to us the way we liked. The two times I went the beef was done med/rare by default. I wanted a little more medium, they made it happen.

I feel the salad bar is different, but it too is my favorite on the ship.

How 'bout the roasted carmelized pineapple? I want to make that at home.

Been several times on different ships. Not a fan. It's kind of 'gimmicky' like Teppanyaki. Usually the meats are dry and overcooked. Last time they brought out a tiny, tiny slice of sugared pineapple, which I love. They kept slicing paper-thin pieces and giving them to me. I would eat it in one bite and ask for more. It was ridiculous. I suspect they didn't have anymore and since it was late didn't want to cook another one. Done with Moderno.