Oriana in rough seas

simonpjd

Have a look at this.

http://uk.screen.yahoo.com/cruise-liner-rides-rough-seas-212554990.html

It shows Oriana pitching in rough seas off Spain.

Remember stabilisers do not stop pitching but they do help ease rolling.

Watch closely and if you are affected by sea sickness take note. See how the cabins amidships and not too high are barely moving. That is where to try and book your cabin. Note how the up and down movement is far worse right forrard or aft - that is where the late payers will be as they are just allocated a cabin and those will be the last booked - or they will be when everyone takes a look at this.

As it happens we are just back from a trip to Antarctica on a ship less than half the length of Oriana and the whole ship was up and down like a yo yo. So well done Kwells as we were OK.

BTW someone once thought that it was worse forrard. I think this shows that it is just as bad at both ends!

Yes, we were on the Oriana last May in a low midship cabin on E deck and slept soundly through one very turbulent night in the North Sea when others were suffering.

We are going on the Oriana again in June and have booked midship E once again, asking not to be upgraded!

Edited by Scriv

Note how the up and down movement is far worse right forrard or aft - that is where the late payers will be as they are just allocated a cabin and those will be the last booked
Haha that's true... mostly :)

I have to book my vacations many months and sometimes over a year in advance. My wife and I book a cabin as far aft as we can get.... one reason is because we quite enjoy the ride... although on occasions, not falling off the bed when the seas are high has been a challenge!

VP

Didn't P&O add a "duck tail" to Oriana during a dry dock? - if so, it hasn't cured the ship's tendency to pitch…….

Any duck tail wouldn't have much effect in those kind of seas, it would need to be as long as the ship to notice a difference I would have thought. But in gentler seas the current duck tail may be beneficial.

Oriana has always been one of the worst P&O ships for pitching; I've had rough weather on her twice and am just glad I'm a good sailor! Booked an aft balcony cabin in July when it'll probably be OK, having said that it's one of the most forward aft cabins so it's almost midships.

Have a look at this.

http://uk.screen.yahoo.com/cruise-liner-rides-rough-seas-212554990.html

It shows Oriana pitching in rough seas off Spain.

Remember stabilisers do not stop pitching but they do help ease rolling.

Watch closely and if you are affected by sea sickness take note. See how the cabins amidships and not too high are barely moving. That is where to try and book your cabin. Note how the up and down movement is far worse right forrard or aft - that is where the late payers will be as they are just allocated a cabin and those will be the last booked - or they will be when everyone takes a look at this.

As it happens we are just back from a trip to Antarctica on a ship less than half the length of Oriana and the whole ship was up and down like a yo yo. So well done Kwells as we were OK.

BTW someone once thought that it was worse forrard. I think this shows that it is just as bad at both ends!

Hasnt it always been the case that lower midships is the most stable location?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hasnt it always been the case that lower midships is the most stable location?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Indeed, lower midships, centre of the pendulum, or is it the fulcrum, no good at science anyway, steady as she goes !!! On our April 13 Arcadia cruise we are midships on E deck, partially obstructed view, right next to mid ship lifts. We don't need a balcony on that one, out of the door, down the apples and pears and on the big balcony @ ye olde promenade deck, all in 30 seconds. Way to go.

Edited by NSWP

Watching that video I was more alarmed by how close to the rocky shore she is those conditions:eek:

You would not want to lose an engine or rudder there!!

Like Costa Concordia, close to the rocks. !!!

• 1 month later...

Now, I was on Oriana during that. Seems that some of the staff were taken ill as well as passengers. I found that it all seemed to die down after a few warm cognacs from Andersons.

Seriously though, it certainly looks a lot worse in the video than it felt and I had a forward cabin - others may tend to disagree.

It got a tad worse after we turned north to traverse the Bay....