Just got a great upgrade...I think!

towel-animal

Solo traveler here and had a studio booked on the Epic. Just called and was able to upgrade to a balcony for just $9.00! Category BD. Website says BD is wheel-chair accessible...guessing that probably just means a modified bathroom. Anywho, super excited!

A handicap room is much much bigger than a regular room as it needs ample room to move a wheelchair around the bed, doorway, seating area etc. Im surprised they allowed you to book it, unless you do use a wheelchair.

Solo traveler here and had a studio booked on the Epic. Just called and was able to upgrade to a balcony for just $9.00! Category BD. Website says BD is wheel-chair accessible...guessing that probably just means a modified bathroom. Anywho, super excited!

Cabin-wise, it's definitely a great upgrade. However, as a solo traveler, it means you will no longer have access to the "living room" - the private space for all of the studio folks.

If you are very outgoing, and don't mind missing out on that "solo" perk, I am sure you will be thrilled with your balcony cabin.

Either way, I am sure you will have a great time :)

BD can also be regular balconies. It is the category we normally book. Did they assign you to a specific room that is accessible?

A balcony and more space definitely a great upgrade..enjoy!

Cabin 12304...maybe I'm wrong about wheel-chair accessible then. Thought it applied to all category BD rooms.

Definitely not wheel-chair accessible. Looking at the deck plans, you need to see a indication. Cabin 12304 is a regular BD cabin.

Cabin-wise, it's definitely a great upgrade. However, as a solo traveler, it means you will no longer have access to the "living room" - the private space for all of the studio folks.

If you are very outgoing, and don't mind missing out on that "solo" perk, I am sure you will be thrilled with your balcony cabin.

Either way, I am sure you will have a great time :)

You will still be able to go to the "living room" for the Solo gatherings. They open the door and it is open to any solo travelers at that time

Have a fantastic cruise and congratulations on the upgrade!!!

Congrats! I did something similar for the Breakaway the week before sailing and you will be able to get in as djmess said. During the day you would need someone to get you in as they don't give non-Studio's access which is not a big deal as you really need it primarily for the solo get together.

NCL is having a very difficult time selling the ship. Epic prices have been dropping like a rock. They are giving away OBC and lowering prices like mad. Too many rooms to fill not just on NCL but the entire Caribbean.

NCL is having a very difficult time selling the ship. Epic prices have been dropping like a rock. They are giving away OBC and lowering prices like mad. Too many rooms to fill not just on NCL but the entire Caribbean.

This will be our 3rd time on the Epic, and this is the cheapest we have ever paid.

Congrats! I did something similar for the Breakaway the week before sailing and you will be able to get in as djmess said. During the day you would need someone to get you in as they don't give non-Studio's access which is not a big deal as you really need it primarily for the solo get together.

I didn't really use the lounge that much when I had a studio last year, so it's not really a loss for me. Very excited to be able to go out on my balcony at night and listen to waves!

To the OP, I think your upgrade is very cool and I was very happy for you. Have a great time on your cruise. This brings me to ask the readers out there how common is it to do this on your own. There are four of us sisters sailing on the Getaway in April. We are in two cabins, one mini-suite and one spa balcony.

I have noticed that there are still quite a few two bedroom family suites available and I am drooling over them, wishing there was a way we could afford to trade in our two cabins for the suite. If we try this on our own, is it even remotely possible that they could offer us a better deal then we would have gotten if we had booked it in the first place. I won't deny we are looking for a bargain.

Thanks for your help.

Hello, do you happen to know if the upgrade price was what you paid for your studio originally vs. what a balcony is now? (Which was my fee last year)

I am wondering if they always compute the upgrade price that way or if they lower it due to availability etc..

I ended up booking a studio on the Breakaway for October yesterday for about 1/2 of what it is today (either a promo or a fluke!) and will probably when time comes upgrade again like I did last year