Pacific Coastal Cruises - Pricing???

jaspersmommy

I've been thinking about booking a Pacific Coastal cruise for about 5 years now and have never gotten around it. I have been sailing Celebrity, and of course, now that I've decided to do a spring 2015 Pacific Coastal cruise, it appears that Celebrity won't be doing any more of them after 2014!

I've looked at Princess itineraries and there is a 10-day Pacific Coastal cruise in April 2015 that I'm interested in. I feel pretty safe that I will enjoy Princess and am willing to give it a try.

I was surprised at the prices for this cruise - they seemed high. I've been reading that the Pacific Coastal cruises are not a really big draw, so I'm hoping that the price will come down a little as the sailing date gets closer. I know nobody can predict what will happen, but if anyone has taken a Pacific Coastal cruise recently, could share your experience of whether the prices held, or did they come down or go up?

Thanks so much!

I see similar scenarios on Celebrity as well. Even a September 2014 Vancouver to Hawaii cruise on Solstice still seems very high. I rarely book anything more than 90 days out and frequently only about 60 days out while we hunt for the best deal. We don't usually get the current big perks but we almost always get a rock bottom price.

Terry

Remember that this is a launch fare and it is very far out... In all probability, the fares will come down but no guarantee.

I just took a look at this cruise, Vancouver round-trip... As this is a unique itinerary, fares may not drop at all... For an inside, it is $1099 per peron.. Not too bad for ten days.

I am also booked on this cruise - at a recent Princess promotion here in Vancouver one of the reps stated that people don't want to fly/travel both ways and thus the Coastals are becoming more popular - like with all cruises the prices will change as the various catergories either sell or don't sell.

Cheers!

Dennis

Wow... thanks everyone for all your input. I didn't think I'd get any responses, so I really appreciate it.

I do want a suite and I see that some of the ones in which I'm interested are already gone. In view of everyone's comments, I think I'll book now. I'm totally unfamiliar with Princess, but I'm certainly hoping that I can lock in any price decreases that may happen down the road (before final payment date) as I can with Celebrity.

It's oddly scary booking with a new cruise line when you don't know their rules/procedures!

Thanks all for your help.:)

Wow... thanks everyone for all your input. I didn't think I'd get any responses, so I really appreciate it.

I do want a suite and I see that some of the ones in which I'm interested are already gone. In view of everyone's comments, I think I'll book now. I'm totally unfamiliar with Princess, but I'm certainly hoping that I can lock in any price decreases that may happen down the road (before final payment date) as I can with Celebrity.

It's oddly scary booking with a new cruise line when you don't know their rules/procedures!

Princess does the same thing as Celebrity & from this link you can download their Cruise Answer Book with lots of info about a Princess cruise.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page

No one has a crystal ball on pricing but if you want a specific cabin or category, book it now. Yes, prices do go down sometimes, but not always. I booked a 7 day CA coastal (rt fro SF going south) about 66 days before sailing. Got a great price on a cabin I wanted, as it seemed that the cruise was not selling well. Glad I didn't wait longer as my category is sold out. Have fun!

Princess does the same thing as Celebrity & from this link you can download their Cruise Answer Book with lots of info about a Princess cruise.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page

Astro - many thanks for the link. The Cruise Answer Book is exactly what I need.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I appreciate it. So far, you Princess folks are very friendly and helpful!

Thanks all for your help.:)

Because you want a suite, to me that would be even more of a reason to book it now as suites tend to sell out faster and there are not that many.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I am not sure where you got the info about the Coastals not being that successful. So far Princess has done VERY well with them and are almost always completely sold out months before final payment. Last Fall we were on a waitlist 2 1/2 months before sailing and it never cleared!! We missed the cruise and I was very annoyed at myself for not booking well ahead of time.

Also I just looked at the prices and for 10 days the prices are in par with other West Coast itiniaries.

We have done a number of 10 cruises out of SF to Mexico and this past year did a 7 day California coastal.

We always book way in advance, i.e., we are booked and have been booked since September for a 10 cruise in April 2015, from SF to Mexico again.

We book in advance directly with Princess, if the price drops we call Princess and get the new price. We book in advance because we like to select the cabin we like.

Generally the price does drop a bit when we book so far out.

We are elite on Princess and Celebrity. We find Princess, Celebrity, HAL and Cunard all very similar. Mention this because the OP was orginally thinking of cruising Celebrity.

Thanks everyone. I did lots of reading today, I think I will like Princess too after sailing only Celebrity now for a few years. From everything I've read, they seem very similar in many ways.

I went ahead and booked today. I'm really excited to go... I love the west coast.

Thanks again for everyone's input.