Cabin Category changes and Goldstein's Response

orville99

Not sure what I would get, but I certainly expect a If you don't like it you can p*ss off because don't need anyone like you response.

Oh, I don't like his response but you really didn't ask a question. You basically just told him you were going elsewhere. I'm actually surprised that he even responded since there was no request for action or question.

I love his response. It's judt the perfect answer to a list of complaints like the OP's letter.

I wished more businesses would be honest enough to tell a complaining customer to just walk away if it makes them more happy than to keep kissing their a$$.

Kudos to AG or his team for this response.

Well..........ouch!!! He sure did tell you what he thought of your e-mail!!!:eek:

I think I would of worded my e-mail different if this new policy was something I needed clarification or reasoning why it has been put in place.:o

After June 1, 2015, those cabins become D2's.

I have talked with Royal Caribbean about the changes and all d category balcony cabins that have a 3 cushion sofa that fold out to a bed will be called D1, all balcony cabins that have a 3 cushion sofa that does NOT fold out to a bed will be called D2. So if there are two people, you would just book a D2 which is the same room that your now call a D1. So in effect there is no change other than if this year your were in room 9610 (D1 with a non folding sofa) in 2015 you can still be in 9610 abut it will be called D2. No changes to the suites. If there are only two of us, I like the 3 cushion sofa , but I do not need to fold it into a bed, so what is the issue here.?

Edited by retird

Why would you want a sofa-bed if there are only 2 people? You don't get any more room, you just get the sofa bed instead of a regular sofa.

I could care less if my cabin (JS) has a sofabed or not...it's the location and availibility at the time I book..being told I can't book that cabin because it has a sofa bed :eek::eek:...Is this what the new policy means :confused:

Considering the letter was just a litany of complaints, the response seems appropriate to me. I hardly think a CEO is going to beg a customer to come back when they present a laundry list of what they don't like about the product. I'm surprised the OP didn't say "when you eliminated the pillow chocolates".

I have to agree. Sorry but it looks like you got the response you were looking for judging by the manner in which you wrote it.

Edited by Big_G

I would not have addressed my email as the OP did but I'm surprised at Adams response and tone. I do think he could have been a little more professional. He has some big ships to fill with more on the way. Why tick off your repeat guests for voicing their displeasure?

Does anyone know if the other lines like HAL, Princess, NCL or Carnival have this same structure? If so then RCI may just be following the pack.

Edited by cruisingator2

So because they are re-designating a cabin from D1 to D2 you wouldn't book it? Isn't it still the same cabin? :confused:

I think some are saying that the more desired locations are now unavailable for two people to book because the cabins are triples or quads.

Edited by cruisingator2

I have to agree. Sorry but it looks like you got the response you were looking for judging by the manner in which you wrote it.

Yep, the letter boiled down to a summary basically said "your product is increasingly crappy and we've chosen to look elsewhere in the future when we cruise."

Didn't really leave him much to respond to. Sure not the letter I'd write to ANY CEO, expecting some kind of favorable response. Did he want Adam Goldstein to personally beg him to continue to cruise with RCCL?

Pens and paper in the stateroom? Really?? :rolleyes:

So because they are re-designating a cabin from D1 to D2 you wouldn't book it? Isn't it still the same cabin? :confused:

Yes , RCI have confirmed that it is the same identical cabin with all the same amenities. instead of tom(ah)to it is now called tom(AW)to:)

I think the response from RCL is completely unprofessional. I am an owner of accommodation businesses and would never dream of responding like that. However, the issue is that there is so little competition in the cruise market because so many of the lines are owned by the same people. He says that these issues are typical of other lines, and he is correct, but only because the cruise lines are colluding to reduce standards.

There is no question that there is a large market for people who would pay a little extra for higher service and standards, but none of the cruise lines is prepared to offer this, a clear sign of a non-competitive colluding market. Unfortunately, competition regulators around the World continue to allow mergers which clearly are going to allow restricted competition and the cruise industry is a lesson in point.

I would not have addressed my email as the OP did but I'm surprised at Adams response and tone. I do think he could have been a little more professional. He has some big ships to fill with more on the way. Why tick off your repeat guests for voicing their displeasure?

Does anyone know if the other lines like HAL, Princess, NCL or Carnival have this same structure? If so then RCI may just be following the pack.

I agree...If I had been the one responsible for speaking in response for AG, I would have opted for taking a different tone. JMHO.

I'm sorry but I really don't get it. There are a gazillion cabins that can be booked by 2 people. The cabin isn't changing just it's category.

I really think Mr. Goldstein responded appropriately. If you aren't happy, maybe it's time to sail on other lines. <shrug shoulders>

Marine philosophy; step back, adapt and overcome. :D

I'm guessing this reply actually DID come from Adam - because he was totally unimpressed with the tone of the letter.

Take a look at this blog post from Adam, and it explains well what kind of response this person got from him:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/why-the-styleof-customer-feedback-is-important/

I think some are saying that the more desired locations are now unavailable for two people to book because the cabins are triples or quads.

Exactly, and the restriction doesn't just apply to D1's. It applies to every cabin that can sleep more than two - and that's about 50% of all the cabins on a ship.

I could care less if my cabin (JS) has a sofabed or not...it's the location and availibility at the time I book..being told I can't book that cabin because it has a sofa bed :eek::eek:...Is this what the new policy means :confused:

But if they let every couple who wants to book cabins that can accommodate 3 or 4 early in the booking cycle that could shut out people who need a cabin for 3 or 4. It is a little like only letting people without handicaps book accessible cabins only after a certain date. I can understand what they are trying to accomplish here. It does makes sense.

It seems to me, IF there is a policy change, that the change is that they will no longer book 2 people into a room equipped to accommodate 3 or more. I suppose this would allow them to maximize the amount of people on the ship. I know I have a cousin who wanted to book a holiday sailing and didn't because there were no more 3 person cabins and she couldn't afford to accommodate her family of 5 in three 2 person cabins. At some point, for many non holiday vacation week sailings, I would imagine D1s with the sofa and higher price tag will not sell at all (more upgrades:confused:)

Anyway, Orville, I found your email a little antagonistic, and I suppose that might explain a slightly more defensive response. But I feel like he's got a point; this product is being differentiated from the companies other products (Celebrity, Azamara etc) If it's not for you anymore, then it's just not for you...there are many fish in the sea, but clearly, many economic experts have determined that this is the best way for the company to position their products for the market they want to engage, and remain profitable for stock holders.

On Valentines day, I'll make the analogy that this is a little like a romantic relationship where one lover keeps complaining about the failings of the other, but the other has no interest in making changes....it's time to face it: "He's just not into you";):p

Edited by Familygoboston