Quickie West Coast repo on HAL

slidergirl

I've got a chance to do the 3 day repo from San Diego to Vancouver on the Westerdam or the 4 night on the Zaandam. I've never cruised on HAL. All I want to do is sit, relax, vegetate and sleep to recover from my rough winter tourist season (I'm in hospitality). The Westerdam sounds good to me - I don't need port calls in places I've already been many times. The Zaandam would be an extra $200 to stop in Victoria. I have done a couple of these quickies on NCL and Princess, so I thought I'd try HAL. Plus, the ship leaves from San Diego, so I could have lunch with some friends before embarking.

I do know that these little repos are different - not all the bells and whistles are offered sometimes, so I'm OK with that. Is there anything special about the Zaandam that would be worth the extra $200? I could spend an extra day in Vancouver for far less than that...

Any good ideas for places to just relax onboard? I'm going the cheap route and getting the cheapest inside - I'm solo and found that I didn't use the balcony the last few times I paid for it.

Is there anything special that I should pony up the money for? Is there a spa pass where I can pay and hang out all day in the lounging areas/plunge? I did like that on the other ones. I'm not going to do any special restaurants - the MDR and buffet are just fine for me for 3 nights and I eat vegetarian on trips anyway.

Edited by slidergirl

Have not done a repo on Hal..have on carnival and it was a nice cruise. Vancouver to long beach. I have been on the westerdam and the Zaandam. Like both ships..the westerdam is bigger and newer..and has a wonderful hydro pool and thermal chairs:). Think the hydro pool on the Zaandam is more like a larger hot tub.

Just booked the 5 dayer on the westerdam and am looking forward to the cruise...if had to choose for this type cruise I would probably go with the westerdam.

I would choose the Westerdam because of the wonderful Thermal Spa. You should be able to get a good price once on board (don't book before). Victoria is a beautiful city to visit but the price difference really isn't worth it, especially since you are sailing solo. Enjoy whatever you decide.:)

I've got a chance to do the 3 day repo from San Diego to Vancouver on the Westerdam or the 4 night on the Zaandam. I've never cruised on HAL. All I want to do is sit, relax, vegetate and sleep to recover from my rough winter tourist season (I'm in hospitality). The Westerdam sounds good to me - I don't need port calls in places I've already been many times. The Zaandam would be an extra $200 to stop in Victoria. I have done a couple of these quickies on NCL and Princess, so I thought I'd try HAL. Plus, the ship leaves from San Diego, so I could have lunch with some friends before embarking.

I do know that these little repos are different - not all the bells and whistles are offered sometimes, so I'm OK with that. Is there anything special about the Zaandam that would be worth the extra $200? I could spend an extra day in Vancouver for far less than that...

Any good ideas for places to just relax onboard? I'm going the cheap route and

getting the cheapest inside - I'm solo and found that I didn't use the balcony the last few times I paid for it.

Is there anything special that I should pony up the money for? Is there a spa pass where I can pay and hang out all day in the lounging areas/plunge? I did like that on the other ones. I'm not going to do any special restaurants - the MDR and buffet are just fine for me for 3 nights and I eat vegetarian on trips anyway.

It's a waste of time...

I would choose the Westerdam over the Zaandam.

Note -- there is no guarantee that you will get a pass as some passengers will stay on from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle -- I know as we have done the complete repositioning cruise several times.

On the Zaandam the thermo pool is nothing more than a hot tub -- same as around the pool.

Just a word of caution. Be prepared for rough weather. You don't say when you are going, but it really doesn't matter. I've done the Pacific Coast in May and September, and hit wonderful huge waves and storms both cruises.

The May cruise from Long Beach Northbound we were 6 hours late getting into Seattle because of the storm and large waves.

Actually the last one in September 2011, it was so bad, they slowed way down (noticeably slow) we were rocking and rolling so bad, anything that wasn't fastened down was flying all over the cabin. Glasses, bottles of water, TV remote, etc. We had broken glass all over our beds, floor, even in our hair. The Port of Astoria was totally closed, we just sailed slowly on by and continued down to San Francisco. The next day on our Tour of the Bridge, the 2nd in Command answered the question as to why we slowed way down and he answered "he was afraid the ship would break apart".:eek:

It's made me decide to not cruise the Pacific Coast anymore!

Just a word of caution. Be prepared for rough weather. You don't say when you are going, but it really doesn't matter. I've done the Pacific Coast in May and September, and hit wonderful huge waves and storms both cruises.

The May cruise from Long Beach Northbound we were 6 hours late getting into Seattle because of the storm and large waves.

Actually the last one in September 2011, it was so bad, they slowed way down (noticeably slow) we were rocking and rolling so bad, anything that wasn't fastened down was flying all over the cabin. Glasses, bottles of water, TV remote, etc. We had broken glass all over our beds, floor, even in our hair. The Port of Astoria was totally closed, we just sailed slowly on by and continued down to San Francisco. The next day on our Tour of the Bridge, the 2nd in Command answered the question as to why we slowed way down and he answered "he was afraid the ship would break apart".:eek:

It's made me decide to not cruise the Pacific Coast anymore!

Sounds like an interesting time!

May or September, we've found the seas vary so much: from smooth as a lake to Force 10 with 20 foot seas.

Astoria is often missed but the further south the better chances of good weather.

I too would recommend the Westerdam, just for the Green House Spa Thermal Suite alone if you want relaxation. I have done the last two years in a row on the Zuiderdam from San Diego to Vancouver. Last year the seas were calm as can be, the year before seas were not bad but the winds were causing us to miss our only port stop. On those 4 day cruises I have not had a problem with crowding in the Thermal Suites those from the full voyage that bought the pass generally are a bit tired of the Thermal Suite by the 4 day. If you want a 4 night repo you may want to consider the May 6th Zuiderdam :) over the three night Westerdam.

If you want the Thermal Suite, you want the Westerdam.

If relaxing out on deck is what you're looking for, the Zaandam Lower Promenade is a great place to sit and enjoy the sea all day.

The inside cabins on this ship---in general---are larger than on the Westerdam.

As far as I know the Westerdam cruise terminates in Victoria, BC. I don't recall that any HAL ship has done that previously, especially a Vista class with presumably 1900 onboard. If you want to spend time there, you have plenty of options, but flying out the same day as arrival might cost a bit more due to limited airline competion from the YYJ airport.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

As far as I know the Westerdam cruise terminates in Victoria, BC. I don't recall that any HAL ship has done that previously, especially a Vista class with presumably 1900 onboard. If you want to spend time there, you have plenty of options, but flying out the same day as arrival might cost a bit more due to limited airline competion from the YYJ airport.

David

You're right - it ends at Victoria. I can hop the ferry over to Vancouver. Or, if I'm in a hurry to get home, take the Victoria Clipper to Seattle. I'm not worried about flying out of Victoria.

I've done a northbound Coastal a few times, so I'm aware of what the weather can do. One time, it was warm and sunny enough to spend time at the pool outside!!! Another, it was keep on the fleece jacket the whole time. I've learned to just deal with whatever weather comes my way - I do that at home, too, where it can be snowstorm one minute and sunshine the next...

It's not a waste of time to me. I've got a very small window of time and a very small amount of money. I can go to Las Vegas for the same amount of money, but I'd rather do something different. I actually just enjoy the ability to be somewhere different and relaxing. Dealing 40+ hours a week with cranky, entitled, rude guests just wears on a person.

Thanks for all the info on the Westerdam. I'll be deciding in the next few days, when I find out if I can get those days off.