Ever heard this before?

swiss2619

I am stymied! Booked a cruise last June for this coming June '14. Got a $225. diamond balcony discount. Today there was a price drop for the cruise and they gave me the new rate, however, said I would lose $25. of the $225. diamond balcony discount. Never heard of this before - sure cuts into the price drop. Is this something new? RC rep says it's the last 4 or 5 mths if you get a price drop, you lose part of the balcony discount. ???? any thoughts?

Thanks, Swiss

I am stymied! Booked a cruise last June for this coming June '14. Got a $225. diamond balcony discount. Today there was a price drop for the cruise and they gave me the new rate, however, said I would lose $25. of the $225. diamond balcony discount. Never heard of this before - sure cuts into the price drop. Is this something new? RC rep says it's the last 4 or 5 mths if you get a price drop, you lose part of the balcony discount. ???? any thoughts?

Thanks, Swiss

Yes, unfortunately it's one of the new "gotchas" that Royal has introduced recently.

Yes, unfortunately it's one of the new "gotchas" that Royal has introduced recently.

Thanks for your response. What is annoying about it is the fact that someone who booked today get the same price I got PLUS a 300 OBC so i guess RC is telling us unless you want a specific stateroom, it doesn't always pay to book early. Lesson learned.

Thanks again!

swiss

Thanks for your response. What is annoying about it is the fact that someone who booked today get the same price I got PLUS a 300 OBC so i guess RC is telling us unless you want a specific stateroom, it doesn't always pay to book early. Lesson learned.

Thanks again!

swiss

Obviously you are before final payment as you received a price drop.

One option that may be available is for you is to cancel your existing booking and re book taking advantage of the $300 OBC. You would of course not be able to claim your D+ discount as those are not combinable but you would be $100 ahead.

This is provided that there is not a look back period on this promo.

Definately worth a call.

Same problem w/ booking early w/ a TA. I had lots of obc w/ my multiply cabins that I have booked and I've lost alot of obc (which I understand), but the cruiseline drops the price per person and the NEW booking gets all the perks, while mine windle away, it's really just a gamble when to book:rolleyes:

Same problem w/ booking early w/ a TA. I had lots of obc w/ my multiply cabins that I have booked and I've lost alot of obc (which I understand), but the cruiseline drops the price per person and the NEW booking gets all the perks, while mine windle away, it's really just a gamble when to book:rolleyes:

I look at it as "I book at a price that makes me happy" then I stop worrying about it. What price someone else pays doesn't really affect me.

Sometimes the price goes up so waiting is not always a good thing.

Tom

Thanks again!

swiss

Just curious, what was the $ price reduction. Is this new policy written/explained anywhere and the the level of B D vs. the price drop.

Loss of balcony discount dollars:

You get one amount for booking longer than 6 months before sailing.

You get $25 less for booking within 6 months of sailing.

If you change your booking (take advantage of a price drop) within 6 months of sailing, they take that $25 away.

I look at it as "I book at a price that makes me happy" then I stop worrying about it. What price someone else pays doesn't really affect me.

Agreed. What if Royal started calling people when the price went up and asked them to pay more? Some time you win, some time you lose, some time, it rains.

So if you happen to notice there was...say a $300 per person...drop in price you would not try to save that money?

We booked our upcoming cruise while onboard our last one and received $200 OBC. They recently had a price drop as when my TA contacted them he could get us the new price AND they gave us a state discount. In all our per person cost for the balcony went down by $350 per person...but we lost $100 of our OBC. How cares? I just save a net $600...that is enough to cover the zip lining we want to do in Honduras and then some.

Loss of balcony discount dollars:

You get one amount for booking longer than 6 months before sailing.

You get $25 less for booking within 6 months of sailing.

If you change your booking (take advantage of a price drop) within 6 months of sailing, they take that $25 away.

So the most you could lose in BD's is $25--not too bad.

So the most you could lose in BD's is $25--not too bad.

The latest "gotcha" is when you try to add a balcony discount to an existing cruise. Say you have moved from Gold to Platinum and are newly eligible for a balcony discount. You had an existing cruise and call Royal to apply the discount to the existing cruise. Royal now re-prices the cruise at the current price.

The latest "gotcha" is when you try to add a balcony discount to an existing cruise. Say you have moved from Gold to Platinum and are newly eligible for a balcony discount. You had an existing cruise and call Royal to apply the discount to the existing cruise. Royal now re-prices the cruise at the current price.

Would this be a new booking. If so, it could work to your favor, especially if it a price reduction and applies to new bookings.

Bob, maybe you can help me?

I booked Independence online the day they opened new dates last week. For some reason, my Diamond discount did not reflect on the invoice. (Maybe I wasn't logged in?) I didn't have time to call because I was leaving for a cruise on Enchantment (got off today) and didn't really sit with the Loyalty Associate during the cruise to add it. So what you are saying is if I call when I get home to add my diamond discount, if the price of that cabin has gone up since last week I will have to pay the higher amount in order to get the diamond discount applied?

So many changes...noticed no comment cards on Enchantment today, but the email survey was in my in box when I disembarked, I found the ship far less smoky with the new smoking policy and the loyalty ambassador informed me he is now a loyalty "associate" ...good thing I have cruise critic to keep me up to date!;)

Thanks for any info, Bob!

Bob, maybe you can help me?

I booked Independence online the day they opened new dates last week. For some reason, my Diamond discount did not reflect on the invoice. (Maybe I wasn't logged in?) I didn't have time to call because I was leaving for a cruise on Enchantment (got off today) and didn't really sit with the Loyalty Associate during the cruise to add it. So what you are saying is if I call when I get home to add my diamond discount, if the price of that cabin has gone up since last week I will have to pay the higher amount in order to get the diamond discount applied?

So many changes...noticed no comment cards on Enchantment today, but the email survey was in my in box when I disembarked, I found the ship far less smoky with the new smoking policy and the loyalty ambassador informed me he is now a loyalty "associate" ...good thing I have cruise critic to keep me up to date!;)

Thanks for any info, Bob!

I've seen one person report that their cruise was re-priced when they wanted to change their existing Platinum balcony discount to their newly earned Diamond balcony discount.

If I were you, I'd call C&A and try to get your balcony discount applied. I'm curious to see if they want to re-price the cruise. You could blame the lack of the discount on the malfunctioning website. Somehow, I think they would accept that.;)

Please come back and tell us how it goes.

I've seen one person report that their cruise was re-priced when they wanted to change their existing Platinum balcony discount to their newly earned Diamond balcony discount.

If I were you, I'd call C&A and try to get your balcony discount applied. I'm curious to see if they want to re-price the cruise. You could blame the lack of the discount on the malfunctioning website. Somehow, I think they would accept that.;)

Please come back and tell us how it goes.

We'll, I'm solid Diamond, have been for a while, so it's not a "new" situation, it's just that it didn't reflect my status when I booked. I usually call to book, but I did some booking on line as I was quickly trying to snag certain balconies ;) I will call Tuesday when I get back home from Florida, and report back here and let you know!