what kind of clothes for an Oceania cruise

6663KS

Hi everyone,

We are going on our first ever Oceania cruise, Temples and Treasures, departing from Bangkok April 1st. We aren't sure what type of clothes to pack. I don't mean what to pack... we are seasoned cruisers, but rather how fancy or casual. I am referring to when we are on the ship in the evening and at dinner. What exactly is country club casual? My husband doesn't like getting dressed up but rather likes polo shirts and cargo pants. Will this be OK or does he need a pair of dress pants? I like getting a bit dressy so I can dress up AND be taken out, haha.

Thanks in advance.

Sheila and Ken

Hi everyone,

We are going on our first ever Oceania cruise, Temples and Treasures, departing from Bangkok April 1st. We aren't sure what type of clothes to pack. I don't mean what to pack... we are seasoned cruisers, but rather how fancy or casual. I am referring to when we are on the ship in the evening and at dinner. What exactly is country club casual? My husband doesn't like getting dressed up but rather likes polo shirts and cargo pants. Will this be OK or does he need a pair of dress pants? I like getting a bit dressy so I can dress up AND be taken out, haha.

Thanks in advance.

Sheila and Ken

What u describe is perfect. Dress pants and sport jackets are superfluous. You may see a few men more dressed up but they will be in minority. Ladies are a mixed bag. For most of us nice slacks and top suffice. Some will be a bit more dressy but not necessary for u to dress up more unless u prefer some glitz in the evening

IMO and based on our recent O cruise, I do not think cargo pants are appropriate for the evenings unless dining in the terrace. I do not recall seeing any men wearing these on the entire trip and IMO they are out of place on O.

Dress slacks, khaki's etc. and a golf shirt would work but many of the men wore button downs to the specialty venues.

Just returned from Caribbean on Oceania. Vast majority of men wore buttoned shirts (long or short sleeves) and either khakis or dress pants in the evening. I saw no pants in the evenings that were less dressy than khakis...no jeans or cargo pants. A few collared golf shirts. About 20% wore sport jackets...mostly in the specialty restaurants.

Most people dress up for the specialty restaurants, with collared shirts and sports jackets for men, and typically dresses for the ladies. Cargo pants might be acceptable in the Terrance, but probably not for dinner. The vast majority of people do dress up a bit for the dinner meal, whereas breakfast and lunch are more casual. Country club casual does not include wearing your "tackies", save those for the shore adventures.

While not "necessary", the majority of men wore sports jackets in the specialty restaurants on our cruise (it may be less on Caribbean or Alaska cruises). Going to a specialty restaurant is like going to a very upscale restaurant in most cities -- you want to look good. I could tell that dresses were coming back in style -- guessing that 30+% of women wore dresses in Jacques (the only place where we were paying attention to what people were wearing as we were facing the entrance).

Daytime dress is just about anything you can think of (people do wear cover-ups for their swim wear inside of the ship). The worst thing we saw onboard was a few people walking around in bathrobes in the morning -- IMO, that is not something anyone wants to see.

While not "necessary", the majority of men wore sports jackets in the specialty restaurants on our cruise (it may be less on Caribbean or Alaska cruises). Going to a specialty restaurant is like going to a very upscale restaurant in most cities -- you want to look good. I could tell that dresses were coming back in style -- guessing that 30+% of women wore dresses in Jacques (the only place where we were paying attention to what people were wearing as we were facing the entrance). .

This is the sort of answer we got before our European cruise on O last year, and I was suprised that in fact people dressed way more casually than I expected in all venues.

What seemed to be the case was that there was a real mix from jackets and ties and cocktail dresses through to casual trousers and tops similar to what was worn during the day for sightseeing.

Let me add another occaison when people dress up. Breakfast is typically in the Terrace. But on Sunday, a very formal Brunch is served in the GDR. Much like dinners at the specialties, people were generally much better dressed for this occaison. Those wanting to dress more causally, or that had early tours to catch, typically skip this event and eat in the Terrace or other venues. The Brunch itself is typically exceptional.

While not "necessary", the majority of men wore sports jackets in the specialty restaurants on our cruise (it may be less on Caribbean or Alaska cruises). Going to a specialty restaurant is like going to a very upscale restaurant in most cities -QUOTE]

I strongly disagree! We have been on 5 Oceania cruises (3 Europe and 2 Carib) and have never seen the "Majority" of men in sports jackets in any venue including La Reserve. Just as some women prefer to dress up a bit because they like to, some men wish to wear sports jackets (or even a tie :eek:). It is a matter of personal preference. In my observation these gentlemen constitute a declining minority.

Pacheco18 and LH28 are correct. Dockers and sports or polo shirts are the norm for men. I have seen cargo pants a few times, too. Nobody really pays attention to what the guys are wearing below the waist as long as they are wearing something :D.

I think perhaps some of the posters are describing what they wish to see rather than what really exists.

Robbie

Edited by robbie21

We were on the Cape Town to Singapore cruise and the range of clothing varied from individual to individual. For the GDR you can get away with the cargo pants, but for the other restaurants a nicer pair of pants would probably make your husband more comfortable. It will be hot, so wear something comfortable for you. I would bring a sweater or wrap for the dining rooms because at times with the air conditioning it can feel cold. Most men wore dress short sleeve shirts or long sleeve shirts to dinner at the speciality restaurants. In the GDR polo shirts were commonly worn.

Neither do I but I have seen some on O and they always look out of place to me.

Guess we have been fortunate to have not seen men in sparkles :)

I agree they would be out of place on O unless they were part of the entertainment

Edited by LHT28

robbie21: How can you question or doubt what I saw with my own two eyes? At one point I was counting the number of men wearing suit jackets and women wearing dresses in Jacques (because someone stated in a thread that women nowadays are not wearing dresses unless they are extremely elderly -- not true btw). The type of dress that I would like to see is clearly not what I saw on Oceania's elegant new ship -- not by a long shot. However, the dress code is what it is and is the "minimum" required. We were cruising in the Mediterranean -- the weather was nice -- people were well dressed in the specialty restaurants.

Sorry that you got so upset about people dressing up in the specialty restaurants on our sailing. As I stated, it is not required.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have seen all forms of dress on Oceania from ballgowns, Tuxes, suits w/ties dockers, cocktail dress, casual dresses, 2pc skirt outfits etc...

You can wear whatever makes you happy except for jeans, t-shirts, shorts to dinner in most dining venues The Terrace is the exception

Each cruise will have different people and what they choose to wear

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We have seen all forms of dress on Oceania from ballgowns, Tuxes, suits w/ties dockers, cocktail dress, casual dresses, 2pc skirt outfits etc...

You can wear whatever makes you happy except for jeans, t-shirts, shorts to dinner in most dining venues The Terrace is the exception

Each cruise will have different people and what they choose to wear

Lyn

Could not agree more!

First let me say, I have not been on an O cruise in the Carribe.

I believe that many of the posters here have given a fair representation of how the majority of people dress on O cruises and the different venues. Some people push the bare minimums to the farthest extremes they can get away with, while others dress far more formally than required. The minimualist seem to get excited when it is pointed out, what clearly the majority are doing, whether required or not.

Hope these responses have been adequate for you, and enjoy your cruise. As you see, you and your husband will not be alone in whatever path you take! :cool:

robbie21: How can you question or doubt what I saw with my own two eyes? At one point I was counting the number of men wearing suit jackets and women wearing dresses in Jacques (because someone stated in a thread that women nowadays are not wearing dresses unless they are extremely elderly -- not true btw). The type of dress that I would like to see is clearly not what I saw on Oceania's elegant new ship -- not by a long shot. However, the dress code is what it is and is the "minimum" required. We were cruising in the Mediterranean -- the weather was nice -- people were well dressed in the specialty restaurants.

Sorry that you got so upset about people dressing up in the specialty restaurants on our sailing. As I stated, it is not required.

Well, you got me:o . If you counted you have objective data for one dining venue for one specific date. I was reporting my general perceptions and observations. I was making the point that your perceptions (and some others) simply did not jibe with mine nor with the experience of Lyn or Loraine and several other posters on this thread.

I would also point to the observation of jo-b above to show that some previous posters on this issue seem intent on setting a more formal dress standard than Oceania requires. On Oceania people really do dress nicely but not necessarily formally :). That is one of the selling points of Oceania - no formal nights. I understand that some feel the Oceania policy is too "lax" but it is what it is. See the previous discussions on "dress" jeans for the ladies.

Once again - wear what you want and what makes you and your traveling companion comfortable and happy within the general guidelines of the Cruise Line. Please don't try to impose your preferences on other travelers.

Edited by robbie21

Personally I hate these what to wear threads

There are no fashion police on board

Almost anything goes other than shorts or gym clothes or swim wear

Be comfortable and be happy

There will always be a few posters who think they make the rules about attire

I ignore them. So should the op

I was just going to say the same thing..we usually have dinner with the Captain and tho many people wear jackets, Stu is comfortable in dockers and a collared golf shirt no matter what restaurant we are in or who we eat with..who cares what you wear. we are from California and my husband doesnt even own a tie or dress jacket that fits him any more..he is a happy beach bum..

Even tho he or I would not wear jeans in the dining room just because..I have certainly seen them..

Jancruz1

BTW this will be our 17 cruise aboard Oceania on May 22

Edited by Jancruz

Although I agree with the gist of your point about some folks being too judgmental about dress standards and you certainly are entitled to "hate" these sorts of threads, they do serve a useful purpose to give folks like the original poster advice they are seeking which will help them feel comfortable on their cruise. Just three weeks ago, I posted a thread regarding dress prior to my second Oceania cruise. My post stated that I had forgotten how prevalent sport jackets are for men. The advice came back from several helpful folks who suggested that jacket wearers were in the minority, especially on a Caribbean cruise and that I can certainly feel comfortable leaving my jacket at home. I did so and was pleased with that decision.