Docking Monte Carlo - Flying out Nice

McMer

Seeking Advice - We'll be sailing on Voyager next fall, ending in Monte Carlo with an arrival at 7:00am. We're trying to plan our flight deviations and are wondering if we would be able to make an 11:50am flight out of Nice. We're planning to extend the front end of this trip and would rather not add to the back end if possible. Is this doable and if so, would Regent transfers be able to get us there in time? Would we be better off setting up our own transfer? Appreciate any info from those who have been through this airport before.

Suggest that you select the flight that you want but have a back-up flight in mind. Regent will not book flights that do not allow enough time for a transfer (not sure what that would be in Monte Carlo). Then when you contact your TA or Regent Air you'll have an alternate flight -- just in case. Did your TA give you an idea of which flights Regent is contracted with out of Monte Carlo. Just curious.

Hope you have a few minutes to enjoy the fabulous views from Monte Carlo:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Seeking Advice - We'll be sailing on Voyager next fall, ending in Monte Carlo with an arrival at 7:00am. We're trying to plan our flight deviations and are wondering if we would be able to make an 11:50am flight out of Nice. We're planning to extend the front end of this trip and would rather not add to the back end if possible. Is this doable and if so, would Regent transfers be able to get us there in time? Would we be better off setting up our own transfer? Appreciate any info from those who have been through this airport before.

We did this but chose to stay overnight in Nice and leave the next morning.

We were on a deviation and when we docked in Monte carlo, we took a Taxi for the 15 minute ride to Nice...cost was $90.00 and this was 3-4 years ago. But at least the taxi was a Mercedes. ;)

Why are you going to pay for an overpriced Regent transfer?? By taking the deviation, you don't get included transfers and for sure a private transfer will be both cheaper and more timely as you can set the pickup time.

Your payed for Regent transfers will be at least $200 for two of you and remember threads where people recommended reliable private transfers. Really doubt anyone including Regent can tell you in advance the earliest you can get to the Nice airport. That information is normally provided on board when you get your disembark information and not something you can reserve in advance. Much better to plan ahead and have your transfer reserved months before you leave for Europe.

Have a great trip.

We did this but chose to stay overnight in Nice and leave the next morning.

We were on a deviation and when we docked in Monte carlo, we took a Taxi for the 15 minute ride to Nice...cost was $90.00 and this was 3-4 years ago. But at least the taxi was a Mercedes. ;)

Last time we took a limo service from Nice airport to the ship in Monte Carlo to took close to an hour. Taxi cost is about €90 ($130 US) Our limo was €130.

Nice is a relatively small airport and not difficult to manage to get thru. So, If you are first off the ship and in a cab by 8:30 am you will be ok. You are cutting it close, but there is little that might go wrong at this port, the road or at the airport. I would probably risk it, but it could be tense. Nice is a nice city to overnight in if you feel you need to stay.

J

31/425 R

(63/729)

It's a 30-min drive from the port in Monte Carlo to the Nice airport, so perhaps you could make a Noon time flight if you got off the ship and cleared customs quickly. But if you've never been to Nice, it would be criminal to miss it. The Nice-Monte Carlo area is one of the most beautiful areas we have ever been to. We spent a full 4 days there pre-cruise and wished we had stayed longer. It truly is gorgeous so I would encourage you to spent some time there if possible.

You could definitely make it, but I would book a private transfer so the driver would be sitting there waiting for me as soon as I got off the ship. We have used Alain @dreamtours.com twice. Very reasonable price, and very reliable. I am booking him again for our trip this summer.

Another option is to take the train from Monte Carlo to nice central train station. Monte Carlo train station is fantastic! It's much faster than driving, then you can get a taxi to nice airport. Much cheaper overall and you should have time. This is not a good option if you are not an independent traveler and want "door to door" service.

Wait a minute...... we need to back up a bit. You do not automatically lose transfers when you deviate! We deviate all of the time (now that it's free for platinum level:-). If Regent books your deviated flights, you will not receive a transfer if you are arriving earlier than one day before embarkation or flying out later than the day of debarkation. However, the OP is flying out the day of debarkation and should receive the included transfer.

Let's keep in mind that things change and not everything is spelled out on the internet. Two years ago we were able to get a transfer even though we were leaving one day early (at least 25 other people were doing the same thing). This has changed.

Also, there places where Regent transfers are important to have. One port is Rio. As I recently stated on another thread, we would have missed the plane if we did not have a Regent transfer. The plane was held due to the number of Regent passengers booked on the flight.

In general, assuming that you have plenty of time to get from your hotel to the port, you will be fine with a private transfer. However, some of us appreciate being taken care of from the moment we leave baggage claim in a foreign country until we are deposited back to an airport after debarkation. When you are paying $20K+ for a cruise, it is worth a couple of hundred dollars for piece of mind.

I suppose if we had our million frequent flyer miles back, we may feel differently:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Wait a minute......some of us appreciate being taken care of from the moment we leave baggage claim in a foreign country until we are deposited back to an airport after debarkation. When you are paying $20K+ for a cruise, it is worth a couple of hundred dollars for piece of mind.

I suppose if we had our million frequent flyer miles back, we may feel differently:)

I think the point really is that if you are paying $20k+ for a cruise that transfers should be included whether you deviate, fly a day early, or a day later...but Regent continues to complicate it by advertising everything is included when that is clearly not the case! I think $2000+ per night should buy you some "piece of mind" without having to worry about these type of details and open your wallet again and pay more

I think the point really is that if you are paying $20k+ for a cruise that transfers should be included whether you deviate, fly a day early, or a day later...but Regent continues to complicate it by advertising everything is included when that is clearly not the case! I think $2000+ per night should buy you some "piece of mind" without having to worry about these type of details and open your wallet again and pay more

I don't disagree that it would be nice...... except that Regent has approximately 300 couples arriving and it would be difficult to pick everyone up - whenever they choose to arrive. It could be the day before, two or three days before embarkation. And, the same happens at the end of the cruise....... long after the ship has left port. It logically will not work -- Regent would not have a Regent representative (that actually works for Regent) available when the ship is not in port.

As you know, Regent will take care of everything -- even if you deviate -- as long as you arrive and depart the same day as other passengers. Regent would have to charge a lot more to give individualized service. It could be akin to booking First Class on Virgin Atlantic or one of the airlines that provide private transfers for their passengers (and this costs more than $20K in most cases -- for two people -- and you are on the plane for less than 24 hours)

Regent is more inclusive than any other luxury line and we feel fortunate that we can make decisions that will enable them to take care of everything for us.

I don't know why Regent's air department would not get you off the ship and to the airport as early as possible if they could, or have you been told by them it would not be in their "regular" schedule of airlines with whom they contract?

I second Rachel's recommendation of Alain if you need a private transfer. Have used him multiple times over the years, and he was right on time every time. He has been recommended on this board for years and years. So quick and easy, get out of customs, and you go, no waiting for everyone to get their luggage and get on the bus transfer for Regent

While not questioning your reasons for leaving to get straight home, I agree with others that it is a shame to miss Nice, and/or MC if you've not been there. I almost always choose to stay in Nice, but love the hill towns surrounding both of them, and come early or stay a bit late to enjoy them. Nice always seems to have early flights to other cities to connect to the US, I was lucky my last cruise, when my flight was not until 12:30, and made it in good time, even sharing a ride with a couple whom we dropped off in Nice on the way to the airport.

Edited by jhp

Rachel: At your suggestion, we used Dream Tours a few years ago for some touring and then drop-off at Nice hotel. Worked very nicely.

This time we'll be flying up to Paris for some days before heading home. Since Regent is not doing the Monte-Carlo-Paris part of air (only Paris back to FL), I suppose we will need transport from ship to Nice airport. What time are you flying? Perhaps we can share Alain? (We had an employee last time, have never met Alain, though I remember that he was great during planning correspondence.)

Another possibility is to take the helicopter from Monaco to Nice Airport. It takes seven minutes and gets you there in the most scenic way possible. Cost is about 105 euros pp but worth it for the expedience and the experience.

Thank you so much. I appreciate all the input. I think your idea of a backup plan is an excellent one, Travelcat2. It's good to know that Regent won't book us with an impossible schedule.

Thanks RachelG for the recommendation for Alain@dreamtours.com. I agree with you all, it is usually much easier and better to set up your own transfer and we will contact them.

We have been to both Monte Carlo and Nice before (just for the day) but now that we are rethinking the situation, we might cut short one day on the front end of this cruise and add a night on the back end. It's good to know the distance and time frame that we're working with here, so thank you all again.