Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

My last trip on the Fascination my husband and I were in line at the buffet. Now I don't have a problem with people asking if they can just grab something they forgot. However there was this older woman who just butt in front of us and started filling her plate. I called her out on it her excuse was I'm an old lady (maybe 60ish) and platinum so I can do what I want. Instead of starting a argument I just let her go ahead of me.

There was a cruise we took years back on Celebrity Mercury where we found some very rude passengers. My wife is handicapped and walks with a large leg brace and has to release the brace to sit down. Several times passengers tried to take a chair out from under her as she tried to sit down in various places. One passenger jumped right under her as she tried to sit in the theater in the handicapped section. A passenger even pushed her out of the way almost knocking her down while getting on the elevator.

I will say in all these situations these people got to see how rude I could be when my wife is mistreated.

Lots of good ones listed here.

This was a new one for me. On a recent cruise we often ran into and held elevators for 2 women with scooters. On the last day, I noticed that they were walking next to me at the Walk for Wishes. Shocked, I asked them why they had scooters if they were capable of walking. They said they use scooters because it is easier to get around the ship on scooters than it is to walk.

I have seen something similar two times, one of them being on the Gem.

It is a shame for people to do that.

On my last Allure cruise. I was sitting in the front row of the lower balcony (the area that is in front of where you enter), right in the middle of the row (basically perfect seats). There was one open seat next to me. A group of three arrives and asks if both of us would move so they could sit there. I basically told them that I had arrived 20 minutes before to get this seat and was staying where I was.

At first I thought you were being rude by not moving over one seat, and then I reread it and it seems they were actually asking you to leave your seats and row so that they could have them?

There was a cruise we took years back on Celebrity Mercury where we found some very rude passengers. My wife is handicapped and walks with a large leg brace and has to release the brace to sit down. Several times passengers tried to take a chair out from under her as she tried to sit down in various places. One passenger jumped right under her as she tried to sit in the theater in the handicapped section. A passenger even pushed her out of the way almost knocking her down while getting on the elevator.

I will say in all these situations these people got to see how rude I could be when my wife is mistreated.

Oh boy the fur would have flew if they did that to my wife.

I know this is an old thread, but have to ask.....will you be ok when I come to dinner alone and do the same while you and your husband are sharing a table? When I vacation alone, I read while I eat. I have every bit as much right to a table to eat as you do, so am baffled by your hostility.

Hey I sometimes read while I eat even when I am sharing a table.

One thing that stands out reading this thread is that sometimes what one person sees as rudeness may be another's norm [possibly cultural].

a few examples stand out, letting an aged person precede you v an aged person 'pushing in".

if most in the Western world saw a person blowing their nose onto the ground they would find it disgusting to some cultures blowing it into a handkerchief and putting it in your pocket is, to say the least, strange.

One person complained about being asked to move seats so a group could sit together and seems to have found that rude, now if it was done nicely and politely and his "no" was accepted what's wrong with that.

Some complain about people sitting at a table reading, others find it acceptable.

We so need to accept that what we see as the norm for some, maybe many, isn't, then so much agro that goes on on this site may well disappear.

The young couple who didn't want to sit with old people reminded me of the time a couple walked up to our table and the woman said, "you'd think they would sit us suite passengers with better people."

You need a comeback line unfortunately you cant think of it on the spur of the moment. However:

"You'd think they would sit us suite passengers with better people"

"You don't come across as sweet more of a loudmouth madam"

or

"You are the rudest man I have ever met"

"You want to get out a bit more often"

Regards John

I know this sounds funny but when folks crowd the elevator, I am always afraid someone will step on my toes. When one is wearing sandals, well, it really hurts. :(

This is why department stores play "elevator music"; it's to calm you down so you stay awhile continuing to shop there.

In Dublin department stores they place "Riverdance" - USE THE STAIRS

Regards John

Heading up to our room after dinner on the Crown Princess....in an elevator with maybe 4 other people. We were nicely dressed, appropriate for Smart Casual night, no outlandish matching outfits or outrageous combinations, etc. One of the passengers on the elevator stood facing us as the elevator went up, looked us up and down, and said "Are you wearing those clothes all evening?". My reply was, "No, we're going to our room to change into our pajamas."

My DD's in-laws witnessed this on their December cruise: each morning they saw a man filling a mug with smoked salmon. Filling it. Every morning. After seeing it a couple of times, her FIL mentioned it to a captain, and they did notice that thereafter there was a crew member hovering near the salmon. The ship ran out before the end of the cruise. (What on earth could you do with that much?)

Generally, I don't notice a great deal of rudeness on cruises, but on our cruise this month, I had a rather unpleasant experience with a woman. We were on a your of the galleys with a small group. This middle-aged woman had evidently never gotten over her selection as "Most Outgoing" in her HS yearbook and kept up a LOUD running commentary on everything we were told ("That's how you make the rolls? That's fascinating! Have you tried those rolls? They are so delicious! I have two every night, and I never eat rolls. I can't decide whether I like the cheese rolls or the ones with the sunflower seeds, so I have one of each. And the butter! It's just the best! I wonder what kind it is and where they get it."). At one point I had to cup my hand over my ear to hear what the person giving the tour was saying since she was immediately behind me and never shut up. She then began to scream, "You guys are doing a great job with the vegetables! Thanks!" to some cooks in the back. I winced and covered my ear since she was yelling righ in my ear. She then asked me if I had had "a little too much fun the night before." When I asked why she was asking me such a question, she replied that I seemed sensitive to noise. I gave her the fish-eye and told her that I found people screaming in my ear to be vey unpleasant.

We had all taken the tour because we wanted to learn more about the backstage operations of the tour, not to hear her inane blather.

You say that the genlteman filled his mug with salmon every morning. He was observed doing this a 'couple' of times. So he did this act twice. Really; is this cause to call the captain who should really be concerned with directing the boat. GET A LIFE.

You say that the genlteman filled his mug with salmon every morning. He was observed doing this a 'couple' of times. So he did this act twice. Really; is this cause to call the captain who should really be concerned with directing the boat. GET A LIFE.

I think it's where he hid the bagels that concerned the poster more.

My three cruise-related peeves are:

1) Chair hogs. Hate them. We've cruised twice, both times on the Grand Princess and I was very glad to see a little table on the Lido deck staffed by a crew member where you could take the belongings of a chair hog, as long as that seat hadn't been used for at least 45 minutes. We used that table a lot! We're cruising with P&O in June and I believe that they aren't quite so pro-active on the chair hog front. That won't stop me moving someone's belongings if we can't find any deck chairs!

2) People who 'claim' a table for their party in the buffet whilst the rest go and get their food. I'm of the opinion that the tables in the buffet are solely for people who have already got their food and find it very irksome to have to wander around with a full plate whilst there are countless tables occupied by just one person who has no food.

3) Passengers being rude to crew-members. This, to me, is abhorrent and I do all I can to intervene if I feel that the poor crew-member is being abused unjustly. It particularly ashames me if the passenger doing the abusing is a fellow Brit.

Edited by wobblybob74

1) Chair hogs. Hate them. We've cruised twice, both times on the Grand Princess and I was very glad to see a little table on the Lido deck staffed by a crew member where you could take the belongings of a chair hog, as long as that seat hadn't been used for at least 45 minutes. We used that table a lot! We're cruising with P&O in June and I believe that they aren't quite so pro-active on the chair hog front. That won't stop me moving someone's belongings if we can't find any deck chairs!

2) People who 'claim' a table for their party in the buffet whilst the rest go and get their food. I'm of the opinion that the tables in the buffet are solely for people who have already got their food and find it very irksome to have to wander around with a full plate whilst there are countless tables occupied by just one person who has no food.

3) Passengers being rude to crew-members. This, to me, is abhorrent and I do all I can to intervene if I feel that the poor crew-member is being abused unjustly. It particularly ashames me if the passenger doing the abusing is a fellow Brit.

I would certainly agree with #1 and #3 above. I see no problem with a spouse or someone else holding a seat in the buffet. ...Now if it were a whole bunch of seats, that might be a different matter.

I would certainly agree with #1 and #3 above. I see no problem with a spouse or someone else holding a seat in the buffet. ...Now if it were a whole bunch of seats, that might be a different matter.

#2: Unless its a sea day we have our "stuff" with us 'cause we're either going to an excursion and don't plan on going back to the cabin after we eat Or just got back and no need to go to the cabin first.

Most people behave great on cruises. Sometimes we meet a person with verbal diarrhea like one previous poster described or someone literally pushing through the crowd waiting at the elevator in order to be first. That happened after a long land excursion when we arrived tired on a low floor in the ship. The pusher had no bags and did not look tired. Once we ate with a couple who ate a huge piece of bloody meat and afterwards put the wonderful white linen napkins right in the pool of blood on the plate.

One thing that stands out reading this thread is that sometimes what one person sees as rudeness may be another's norm [possibly cultural].

a few examples stand out, letting an aged person precede you v an aged person 'pushing in".

if most in the Western world saw a person blowing their nose onto the ground they would find it disgusting to some cultures blowing it into a handkerchief and putting it in your pocket is, to say the least, strange.

One person complained about being asked to move seats so a group could sit together and seems to have found that rude, now if it was done nicely and politely and his "no" was accepted what's wrong with that.

Some complain about people sitting at a table reading, others find it acceptable.

We so need to accept that what we see as the norm for some, maybe many, isn't, then so much agro that goes on on this site may well disappear.

One cruise we went to one of the trivia games, A group of people came over and asked us if they could sit there. We said sure we'll share the table, however next thing is their whole group of ten took over the table pushing us out altogether. No other chairs to sit so we just left. I don't mind sharing or giving up a place if there is another place for me to sit.

While I agree with your 1 and 3 - I don't agree with #2. I most often cruise with a group of family and friends. Anywhere from 18 to 26 people. They have ranged in age from 6 months to 85. I see nothing wrong with someone sitting down at a table for 8 and holding that table while someone goes and helps others and/or gets their food. Why would I want to sit with a stranger while my 3 YO grandchild has to find another place to eat because said stranger has decided they are entitled to sit there? Should we send that same 3 YO up to get their own food to make sure no one thinks we are table hogging or should we be a responsible parent and help the kid?

Ask if you can join. If no one else in my party is eating then sure - join us. If I can easily fill that table and more - no you can't join us. I want to spend time with my family, not a complete stranger. I also travel with just my DH and DGS so we have no problem then with people joining or us joining them.

Probably one of the most outrageous scenes I've seen on a cruise, was a food fight in the MD at dinner. It was a table of about 8 people, and they came in loud, drunk, and wearing gym type shorts and tank tops. The two women and even teenage kids seemed visibly embarrassed, but the obnoxious men didn't care. They were yelling and howling, as if in a trashy tavern. They then started seriously throwing food across the table at each other. To be honest, I was shocked and disappointed that the staff didn't kick them out.

My DD's in-laws witnessed this on their December cruise: each morning they saw a man filling a mug with smoked salmon. Filling it. Every morning. After seeing it a couple of times, her FIL mentioned it to a captain, and they did notice that thereafter there was a crew member hovering near the salmon. The ship ran out before the end of the cruise. (What on earth could you do with that much?)

Ask DD's in-laws if they can remember the color of the mug. On going on a hunch here that it might have been blue. ;)

While I agree with your 1 and 3 - I don't agree with #2. I most often cruise with a group of family and friends. Anywhere from 18 to 26 people. They have ranged in age from 6 months to 85. I see nothing wrong with someone sitting down at a table for 8 and holding that table while someone goes and helps others and/or gets their food. Why would I want to sit with a stranger while my 3 YO grandchild has to find another place to eat because said stranger has decided they are entitled to sit there? Should we send that same 3 YO up to get their own food to make sure no one thinks we are table hogging or should we be a responsible parent and help the kid?

Ask if you can join. If no one else in my party is eating then sure - join us. If I can easily fill that table and more - no you can't join us. I want to spend time with my family, not a complete stranger. I also travel with just my DH and DGS so we have no problem then with people joining or us joining them.

I was meaning more the tables for two, where one of the couple has bagged a table whilst the other gets the food. I don't expect a group of four or more to pass up on a suitable table as they can often be at a premium. I just don't see why my opinion is so unusual - surely it's bad manners to hog a table that somebody else needs as they have food and you don't?