7 nights inside cabin Solo I didn't like it!

cynt

I just returned from my 7 night cruise. I booked an inside cabin solo for $500 on Carnival Sunshine. GREAT CRUISE! However, by day 3 and especially day 4 I longed for my balcony. I always cruise w/ a balcony on a 7 night cruise. I had an inside on a short 3 night cruise and a window on a 4 night cruise. All was GREAT!

7 nights w/out a balcony was TORCHER for me. I was on the Serenity deck 7 of 7 days. I didn't realize how much I used my balcony on a 7 night cruise. For me every day and every evening I was tracking up to the Serenity deck for my ocean view and to relax and enjoy the ocean.

Solo for a balcony was $1698, now I wish I would have paid it and had my balcony. I kept waiting for the price to drop so I could upgrade. I thought it would drop to around $1200. I was ready! But no price drop so I just stuck w/ the great deal on the inside cabin. No big deal, I'll never be in the cabin, I'll just shower and sleep in it, etc. But it wasn't for me. Next time I'll pay the premium for my balcony.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm the same way. I would not cruise without a balcony. My first couple cruises (with my then-husband, not solo cruises) were in an inside cabin and they were fine, but once we booked a balcony there was no going back! :)

Honestly, people tell me it would be a lot cheaper for myself if I got something that wasn't a balcony. I can tell you that I gave it all by three seconds of thought and continue to book my balcony. while I don't spend a ton of time in my room I want the time I do spend in my room to be enjoyable as possible. echoing the sentiments of the other cruisers, If I cannot afford a balcony then I cannot afford to cruise. Yes i will say it loud.. I AM A BALCONY SNOB AND PROUD OF IT!!!

I had a balcony one cruise because it was super cheap compared to an inside and will probably never again book one. For my next transatlantic I had the chance to switch to a balcony for 80€ less than what I originally paid for a studio cabin or add 70€ and upgrade to a mini-suite. I downgraded to the guaranty inside and put the money saved towards a third cruise next year.

For me it is the same like watching a movie inside your cabin. That is not what I pay airfare and cruise for. Getting some sun on public decks is much more entertaining. I can sit on a balcony by myself and read or watch TV at home, no need to do that while on vacation.

While I do like having a balcony, I recognize that on some ships and some routes, it's just not in the budget, and if I particularly want that ship/route, then I make the compromise.

For the Oasis and the Allure I would highly recommend the inside cabins near the "secret" public balconies on the aft. I tried one in October and it was literally five steps from my cabin door to a massive aft balcony, with loungers, chairs and tables, that hardly anyone else seemed to use - it was perfect for enjoying a glass of wine in the evenings, or just some quiet time at the end of the day winding down and watching the wake!

I much prefer to have a balcony than not. However if there isn't one available and the itinerary, date and ship work for me I will. I just have a different kind of cruise. When I have a balcony, I always (unless weather doesn't permit) have an early morning cuppa sitting outside on my balcony with a continental breakfast. Last cruise I got Avery late bargains (3 weeks before sailing - price reduced by just over 75%) but only insides left. Great opportunity to have a cheap additional holiday in the Arabian gulf and get away from the winter weather. I had to go up on deck for my breakfast instaed. Most folk were eating inside at the buffet, the aft pool area was very quiet and a little sun trap, albeit with a limited buffet but that worked for me instead. Yes it would have been great to have had the balcony, but it was better to be away at that time of year in an inside than not go at all.

I had an inside on a TA.... 13 nights.... no problem at all.... my philosophy is get me on the ship!! My next cruises are all insides too.... were the price to fall significantly I might jump to an Oceanview but my finances are such that I'd rather be on board than not. I book over a year out and get the lowest price pretty much that way.... it also gives me time to save.....

I've generally had inside cabins, as for the extra cost of a window I can have another weekend away (although for my 2 weeks booked for the summer it was only £100 more so that's worth paying), while the extra cost of a balcony would pay for another cruise in an inside cabin. Plus as I'm travelling on my own I'd rather be out and about with people around, than sat in my cabin on my own. This topic shows why cruises are so great though - you have the option to do what makes your holiday most special.

I went from a Inside with porthole, to Studio, to Balcony, and next booking is a Studio. If the upgrade differential is $250-$300 by October I will do it.

For me, the biggest improvement was having space to unpack.

In terms of the balcony itself, I did like it at night or in the middle of the night.

However, if I wanted to be outside, I would just go up to Spice H20 or one of the various decks.

I don't care for spending much time alone on the ship so the studio suits me well; but given the amount of upgrades that are sometimes available it is a nice perk

I guess the title should read I didn't like the INSIDE CABIN for 7 nights. I loved the cruise!!

I'm glad you had a good time :) I'm travelling solo on the Sunshine next month and so was just wondering if you have any advice/tips? Also, how did you find the evening dining situation? I could only get my-time dining as I booked late, so I'm hoping they are offering large tables to share so I can meet people to enjoy my meal with.

Loved the cruise. Sunshines a nice ship. A little chopped up but u get used to it. My tablemates were FANTASTIC! Best table mates EVER! Get to the serenity deck early n claim ur spot or wait til after 2pm n u can find a pretty good spot.

Remember to walk behind the lido deck buffet to the Asian n Italian place for lunch n breakfast. U can have real eggs for ur omelet just ask. Enjoy ur cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Last year I did a transatlantic with a balcony, this year I'm doing a transpacific without one, and I'm kind of interested to see if I really miss it or not. I still have an outside (window) cabin, though, and the cabins are the same size, so I'm hoping it won't matter much.

When I sail solo I prefer getting out of my inside cabin and to mingle. Sitting on a balcony by myself would me to lonely for me.

I Absolutely agree. I'm a people person and love to mingle.

I'm out of my cabin more than in my cabin w/a balcony or not. But what I realized on this 7 night cruise is that I'm at a much more relaxed and take it all in pace than w/ a 3/4 night cruise.

In the mornings when I want to laze around in the cabin, have breakfast on my balcony and watch the sunrise w/out having to get out of my pjs and get dressed I noticed how much I missed my balcony. During the day when I return to my cabin for a mid day nap, I could usually enjoy my balcony w/ a magazine or book and slip into my cabin when I wanted to stretch out for a nap or just sleep on my balcony. When I was getting dressed for 8PM dinner I would normally have a cocktail or two and enjoy the ocean and sunset from my cabin. This time I had to dress and go up on deck. I really missed my balcony in the late afternoons/early evening. I had been on deck all morning and afternoon. I just want to unwind and relax w/ my own private view of the ocean on my balcony - that 4pm-8pm slot of the day was killer.

I realized this trip I was out on deck every waking moment and it became irritating that I couldn't relax on my balcony like I would normally had done if I had my balcony. I slept more on the serenity deck than I ever have my 13 years in cruising. LOL!!

O, and know I could never do a TA in an inside. OMG! I would just move to the Serenity deck. LOL! Luggage and all!!

Great feedback on this topic! Keep it coming!

Don't use my balcony much during the day but I love it first thing in the morning and late evening. I also like sleeping with the door open, so I can fall asleep to the sound of the sea.

On Ocean voyages with lots of sea days, I'll often escape for a bit during the day to it, to get some quiet time away from all those people on the pool decks.

I don't miss the balcony hugely on port intensive cruises, but is really would on an ocean voyage. Sitting in an inside on busy sea days really doesn't appeal at all.

For me it is the same like watching a movie inside your cabin. That is not what I pay airfare and cruise for. Getting some sun on public decks is much more entertaining. I can sit on a balcony by myself and read or watch TV at home, no need to do that while on vacation.

Exactly the way I feel. I booked an Alaskan cruise just 2 weeks before sailing. All the insides were sold out (which is what I always book) so I went with an ocean view guarantee....Imagine my surprise when I opened the cabin door and it was a balcony. Have only "booked" a balcony 1 time and that was because it was cheaper than inside or ocean view. I don't go on a cruise to stay in my cabin. I am actually in it very little and by paying double price, most of the time.....I can sail more in an inside

So far people seem to be ignoring the major factor that is the weather.

A couple of years ago, in early December cruising the Bay of Biscay I knew I wouldn't be sitting out so booked an inside. (I never saw anyone in a pool :) ) Last December, for contrast, I went to South America, so I considered a balcony important.

To me it comes down to the amount of use the balcony will get.

Edited by saatuk

So far people seem to be ignoring the major factor that is the weather.

A couple of years ago, in early December cruising the Bay of Biscay I knew I wouldn't be sitting out so booked an inside. (I never saw anyone in a pool :) ) Last December, for contrast, I went to South America, so I considered a balcony important.

To me it comes down to the amount of use the balcony will get.

To me, the weather has not as much to do with it -- it's the fresh air and sound of the ocean that's more important - sort of like a big window.

As someone else said, I just want to be on the ship. The first time I had a balcony, I was cruising with a friend and I used it quite a bit. My upcoming cruise is a balcony and that's only because is was $150 more than an inside at the time.

I have two cruises booked next year: one is a balcony and one is an inside. I'd rather cruise twice a year in an inside cabin than once a year in a balcony. Luckily for me, I got a good enough price to get a balcony for one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App