7 nights inside cabin Solo I didn't like it!

cynt

So far people seem to be ignoring the major factor that is the weather.

A couple of years ago, in early December cruising the Bay of Biscay I knew I wouldn't be sitting out so booked an inside. (I never saw anyone in a pool :) ) Last December, for contrast, I went to South America, so I considered a balcony important.

To me it comes down to the amount of use the balcony will get.

My first few cruises were in insides, so I didn't know what I was missing, and as others have said, didn't spend a lot of time in my cabin staring at the walls.

I took a balcony on last year's transatlantic, and barely got to use it - the weather was rotten from the minute I stepped on board (to the extent that they emptied the pools). I spent about 20 minutes on it in my PJs, freezing to death, as we pulled into New York, and that was about it.

I've booked a balcony for this year's TA to see how it goes - we're taking a southerly route, so I'm hoping for some nice weather, but honestly, I'm looking at interiors again for whatever my next cruise turns out to be.

I wouldn't be bothered with an oceanview - a window that doesn't open doesn't do it for me. I feel it's neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red herring (as Miss Marple would say).

I may be eating my words in a few months once I've experienced a balcony in nice weather! Speaking of which is there a dress code for the balcony? I'll definitely wear *something*, but do you find neighbours spend a lot of time sticking their noses around the dividers?

My first few cruises were in insides, so I didn't know what I was missing, and as others have said, didn't spend a lot of time in my cabin staring at the walls.

I took a balcony on last year's transatlantic, and barely got to use it - the weather was rotten from the minute I stepped on board (to the extent that they emptied the pools). I spent about 20 minutes on it in my PJs, freezing to death, as we pulled into New York, and that was about it.

I've booked a balcony for this year's TA to see how it goes - we're taking a southerly route, so I'm hoping for some nice weather, but honestly, I'm looking at interiors again for whatever my next cruise turns out to be.

I wouldn't be bothered with an oceanview - a window that doesn't open doesn't do it for me. I feel it's neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red herring (as Miss Marple would say).

I may be eating my words in a few months once I've experienced a balcony in nice weather! Speaking of which is there a dress code for the balcony? I'll definitely wear *something*, but do you find neighbours spend a lot of time sticking their noses around the dividers?

Hi,:) I always wear something out on the balcony...even if it just

loungwear. Nope, most folks are not sticking their noses around

the dividers. Maybe if we are both standing out there at the same

time? We will say hello but nothing normally out of the ordinary.

Edited by Lois R

While I do like having a balcony, I recognize that on some ships and some routes, it's just not in the budget, and if I particularly want that ship/route, then I make the compromise.

For the Oasis and the Allure I would highly recommend the inside cabins near the "secret" public balconies on the aft. I tried one in October and it was literally five steps from my cabin door to a massive aft balcony, with loungers, chairs and tables, that hardly anyone else seemed to use - it was perfect for enjoying a glass of wine in the evenings, or just some quiet time at the end of the day winding down and watching the wake!

Do you recall the cabin number ?.....sounds like a great idea....thanks.

Great topic! I have been watching the various threads on studios on various cruise lines and how the price is great and you can socialize in the solo lounge.

The thought of being in a confined space with no natural light or fresh air is beyond my comprehension. I much prefer a balcony and have resigned myself to paying the price - which means cruising less often.

I'm thinking about doing a TA at some point and wonder about the practicalities of weather and rough seas going across the Atlantic - it might not be as enjoyable with a balcony as I think.

I am an introvert and quite enjoy my quiet time - especially on a balcony listening to the water. I don't need other people to energize me. I will go out and meet people and people watch as I sip a drink or read a book. But then I want my down time.

In my work at home I am constantly with people and need to be "on". I'm exhausted by the time I am able to take holidays. This is why I love cruising so much - I can do as little or as much as I care to! And for me the ship is just as much the destination as the ports.

I'm thinking about doing a TA at some point and wonder about the practicalities of weather and rough seas going across the Atlantic - it might not be as enjoyable with a balcony as I think.

I am an introvert and quite enjoy my quiet time - especially on a balcony listening to the water.

I think the choice in ship is important - whether there are nice quiet outdoor public spaces available or not. That's why I chose to go balcony-free this coming trip -- I found the Crystal ships have fewer crowds and lots of public spaces (like the one mentioned on the Oasis and Allure) that I could use in calm and comfort. Previous ships I'd been on didn't have many quiet outdoor spaces to use other than a private balcony, and I was very happy to have one on those ships.

Use the cruise critic or RCCL deck plans. The "secret" balconies are aft on decks 8 - 14 I believe, they are not on the floors with aqua theater suites. "Secret" balconies are both port and star so it shouldn't matter which side you get your room on. The balconies are not shown on the deck plans which is why they are "secret".On the ship just head down the long hallways aft and eventually you'll get to the door to the balconies which are to the side a little. Then you step out to a wrap around balcony that has great views of the aqua theater and the wake the ship leaves behind, probably room for 8-12 people out there. Another under-used area is the sun deck on deck 14 right below the pool deck. On the port side go all the way forward and you'll be on the forward most part of the ship overlooking the Helipad and great views again. The deck is always open and even when its night or windy all one needs to do is push the open door button to get in and out.

I am an introvert and quite enjoy my quiet time - especially on a balcony listening to the water. I don't need other people to energize me. I will go out and meet people and people watch as I sip a drink or read a book. But then I want my down time.

My TA last year went from Florida to New York to Ponta Delgada then Lisbon. It literally started bucketing rain the minute I stepped on board, and the weather got worse from there :) Between Florida and New York the pools and jacuzzis were still open, but no-one was using them because the weather was so bad, then we ran into a bad storm mid Atlantic, and they just closed them off altogether. I didn't even attempt going on the balcony most of the time because I felt it was too dangerous.

This year I've booked one again as we're doing a short loop around the northern Caribbean, so I'm hoping for "glasses of wine while lounging on my balcony, reading" weather before we start heading northeast.

The times I've had an inside cabin, and the weather is nice, I've generally just taken my book, a drink and some headphones out to the promenade deck. There are usually deck chairs around there, and most people see the headphones/book combo as a "do not disturb" sign (even if you're secretly just listening to the ocean).

I'm a friendly introvert (people mistake me for an extrovert, up until the moment where I need to disappear for a while to recharge because they're sucking all the energy out of me ;) ) - I found it easy enough to get "me" time in the public areas when I had an interior cabin.

Hope that's of some use to you!

It was 14729 - starboard side. Was a great location not just for the "secret" balcony, it wasn't too much of a hike to the stairs and could just run up the stairs to the pool deck and buffet. And despite being pretty high up and all the way aft, I never felt any "motion of the ocean" at all - in fact, I kind of missed that! - but that might of been because we had perfect weather all the way. I booked pretty much last minute so didn't have much choice of cabin but would now definitely booked a similar location again.

On the last sea day I did try and find the lower "secret" balconies (to get a better view of the Aqua show) but had trouble finding which other floors had the public balconies - I knew they were there somewhere!

Great topic! I have been watching the various threads on studios on various cruise lines and how the price is great and you can socialize in the solo lounge.

The thought of being in a confined space with no natural light or fresh air is beyond my comprehension. I much prefer a balcony and have resigned myself to paying the price - which means cruising less often.

In my work at home I am constantly with people and need to be "on". I'm exhausted by the time I am able to take holidays. This is why I love cruising so much - I can do as little or as much as I care to! And for me the ship is just as much the destination as the ports.

I've done4 TAs - one each direction Europe to Fort Lauderdale and one each way between Europe and South America. Was able to use my balcony a lot on all 4, even on a late December crossing. May have needed a fleece at the Europe for a few days but nearly always was able to use it. As for rough seas, only once had rough seas for part of a day on the crossing but definitely had very rough seas in both the med and Caribbean.

I have mainly booked inside cabins. Price is a major consideration. My joke is that I would cruise even if I had to in a lifeboat being towed behind the ship. I snagged a couple of 1A cabins on Carnival prior to the policy change a couple of years ago and I really did not feel much of a difference between an Inside and an Oceanview cabin.

Sailing in a balcony cabin might be different. I don't know, to be honest, I may be afraid to try it because I will not be able to go back. Maybe I will have the opportunity to try it someday. But, until then, I am great with an inside cabin. I just want to go.... :)

Edited by janetlm
typo

It was 14729 - starboard side. Was a great location not just for the "secret" balcony, it wasn't too much of a hike to the stairs and could just run up the stairs to the pool deck and buffet. And despite being pretty high up and all the way aft, I never felt any "motion of the ocean" at all - in fact, I kind of missed that! - but that might of been because we had perfect weather all the way. I booked pretty much last minute so didn't have much choice of cabin but would now definitely booked a similar location again.

On the last sea day I did try and find the lower "secret" balconies (to get a better view of the Aqua show) but had trouble finding which other floors had the public balconies - I knew they were there somewhere!

Thank you very much. I appreciate the information.

Use the cruise critic or RCCL deck plans. The "secret" balconies are aft on decks 8 - 14 I believe, they are not on the floors with aqua theater suites. "Secret" balconies are both port and star so it shouldn't matter which side you get your room on. The balconies are not shown on the deck plans which is why they are "secret".On the ship just head down the long hallways aft and eventually you'll get to the door to the balconies which are to the side a little. Then you step out to a wrap around balcony that has great views of the aqua theater and the wake the ship leaves behind, probably room for 8-12 people out there. Another under-used area is the sun deck on deck 14 right below the pool deck. On the port side go all the way forward and you'll be on the forward most part of the ship overlooking the Helipad and great views again. The deck is always open and even when its night or windy all one needs to do is push the open door button to get in and out.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the information.

I've never had a balcony. I don't have the resources to pay for more than an inside. I'd rather be on a ship in an inside, than not be on the ship!

I did enjoy the promenade cabin on Adventure, which didn't cost a lot more than a normal inside. It was nice to sit on the window seat and watch the people down below.

I am so glad I am not spoiled yet. Have had a few balconies at the right price but I like to sail often and like someone else said, "would rather sail inside than wishing I could be on a cruise balcony." I really don't mind the inside.

I am so glad I am not spoiled yet. Have had a few balconies at the right price but I like to sail often and like someone else said, "would rather sail inside than wishing I could be on a cruise balcony." I really don't mind the inside.

Spoiled? I don't think you understand what that means, LOL. Being spoiled isn't about having things you like or want, it's about not understanding or appreciating the time and/or work involved in getting them. People who sail in a balcony cabin (or a suite, or who drive a fancy car, or who are driven in a limo) aren't spoiled if they worked hard for what it took to get it - or at least understand that someone worked hard to give it to them.

I can enjoy the cruise regardless of the cabin type. While I prefer a balcony, I'm not going to pay twice as much to have it. It all depends on how much more it will cost.

One interesting thing about inside cabins. I find I sleep better because of the lack of light-- I just have to remember to set the alarm, otherwise I could sleep until noon! :D

I know I lucked out big time--I booked an obstructed OV gty for my SF-Hawaii-SF Christmas/New Years cruise on the Grand Princess and ended up with an upgrade to a balcony. I think the reason I got this upgrade was that they cruise wasn't selling all that well early/mid year. My cruise routine did change--this was the first cruise that I never ate breakfast in the dining room. I just loved spending early mornings and late evenings on the balcony in my own private space.

That said the cost of the balcony on this 15 night cruise would have been $1,800. I know I will need to go back to insides and ocean view cabins if I want to take longer cruises and continue to travel during the holidays. I always check the different prices on different levels of cabins and if there is a reasonable difference in cost I will do a balcony again. Faith

I recently sailed solo for the first time on a B2B. The first leg was a 3-night cruise and I booked an inside to see if I could stand it. For the second leg, I moved across the hall to a balcony.

I didn't find the inside as bad as I thought it would be, although I missed my balcony. What I loved, loved, loved, was having a cabin all to myself! Don't think there's any going back from that!

• 1 month later...
I recently sailed solo for the first time on a B2B. The first leg was a 3-night cruise and I booked an inside to see if I could stand it. For the second leg, I moved across the hall to a balcony.

I didn't find the inside as bad as I thought it would be, although I missed my balcony. What I loved, loved, loved, was having a cabin all to myself! Don't think there's any going back from that!

I totally agree! I don't think I'll be able to share a cabin. LOL!!

When I traveled with family we always booked an outside cabin. I booked an oceanview cabin when I began sailing solo. I definitely use my balcony! I'm an early riser and I enjoy sitting on the balcony to watch the sun rise. I also enjoy sitting on the balcony with a drink (or two) before going to bed. The sound of the waves is pleasant!

Great thread. I'm new to cruising, having not done so since I was a child, and will be going on a NCL cruise next week in a balcony. It was inexpensive - just $100 more than OV. I have this notion that I must have the ability for fresh air, and the OV and inside options just don't do it. I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions here, and really like the idea of continental breakfast on the balcony...will definitely try that next week!

Sent from my iPad

Great thread. I'm new to cruising, having not done so since I was a child, and will be going on a NCL cruise next week in a balcony. It was inexpensive - just $100 more than OV. I have this notion that I must have the ability for fresh air, and the OV and inside options just don't do it. I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions here, and really like the idea of continental breakfast on the balcony...will definitely try that next week!

Sent from my iPad

Be sure to be out on your balcony early in the AM as your ship sails into San Francisco--the view in to the SF Bay and sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is breathtaking.

Be sure to be out on your balcony early in the AM as your ship sails into San Francisco--the view in to the SF Bay and sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is breathtaking.

Thanks! I absolutely plan on doing that - yet another reason for a balcony...

Sent from my iPad