Things just don't seem right with RCCL

The problems have been bountiful lately. I am now getting worried since I have printed my set sail nor luggage tags for my upcoming cruise! I think as soon as I see the website is back up and running I will print print print!!!!

One can still check in at the pier without a setsail pass or luggage tags, they are not mandatory.......

One can still check in at the pier without a setsail pass or luggage tags, they are not mandatory.......

Now we know who makes embarkation such a nightmare usually by holding up the lines dropping off luggage and getting checked in! :cool:

I had been unable to make reservations on the website for my upcoming cruise for weeks. Finally received an email response from RCCL yesterday that said the situation was resolved. I went on the site and had the ability to reserve and make changes......and now the whole system crashes.

I had been unable to make reservations on the website for my upcoming cruise for weeks. Finally received an email response from RCCL yesterday that said the situation was resolved. I went on the site and had the ability to reserve and make changes......and now the whole system crashes.

They heard you were on CC telling people to ignore the suggested dress codes! :D :p

Hubby works for Disney by way of ABC in NYC.

I know Royal's system can be frustrating, we have recently run into a problem which took 3 calls to Revenue Management to resolve.

Having said that, nobody, absolutely nobody has worse IT than Disney. In their case they just refuse to invest the $$$ to do it the right way. Take a look at the DISboards and read about the Magic Band/Fastpass mess over there. $1.5 billion and they still cannot make it run smoothly.

I'm not a big Royal defender. They have made some recent changes which do not make my Jim and I so happy, but they haven't fallen on the "stupid stick" like Disney.........yet.

That's exactly what I said without spelling out the name.... :D

I have never seen a company the size of RCI that cannot keep their web site up and functional. The CEO needs to walk into that department and fire someone...then tell the others he wants the problems fixed immediately. Normally it only takes one, maybe two, "public executions" in a department to motivate the others.

They can't be concerned about losing talent...because the people that have apparently are not talented enough to get the job accomplised.

R you serious? That is not how you run a company. You lead your employees with a vision to motivate them. You don't fire someone because there might be things going on that they are not aware of. Perhaps Adam can go ind out what's wrong, but to walk in ad fire someone? Seriously? Your comments remind me of the lady who just got bet up on HAL by the room service guy because she felt entitled!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cabin assignments really don't matter much anyway, it's not like they check to make sure you are in "your" cabin. We usually put 1 kid and 1 adult in each cabin but actually kids stay in one and adults in the other. As long as beds single/double is ok then it doesn't matter. They will give you "extra" keycards on request.

Now we know who makes embarkation such a nightmare usually by holding up the lines dropping off luggage and getting checked in! :cool:

I didn't say I check in without set sail pass or luggage tags, was letting someone that if they couldn't print them it was OK. Geez, lighten up!!!.......:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I agree that you always eventually get to a live person after going through the touchpad menu. But if you've never waited on hold longer than 10 minutes, then you're very lucky indeed!

She probably called C&A! HA!

Which, by the way, I always do. Just like Patti (cruisinfever) says, you get through faster with them. I haven't called the regular customer service line for years.

My TA told me a few days ago that with this "kids sail free" promo, the travel agent lines are a mess. She said they leave the TAs on hold for a certain length of time and then drop the call completely! So, we aren't the only ones with RCCL issues these days.

Edited by pcur

You are correct, and I had no idea that their system had crashed when I posted. However, for general questions about a booking that has been booked direct with RCI, calling C&A will always get you a quicker response than going through 1-800-327-6700.

Good advice for "normal" times...I do the same for both RCI and Celebrity. People on the Celebrity board have been complaining about waits of over an hour. I called the Captain's Club earlier in the week to make a final payment, and I was on hold for only a minute or two before a representative picked up.

I have never seen a company the size of RCI that cannot keep their web site up and functional. The CEO needs to walk into that department and fire someone...then tell the others he wants the problems fixed immediately. Normally it only takes one, maybe two, "public executions" in a department to motivate the others.

They can't be concerned about losing talent...because the people that have apparently are not talented enough to get the job accomplished.

WOW pretty obvious you've never run a company!! Or one in this century... finding good IT people are hard to find... and every large company, having a huge volume of data has problems. It happens to EVERY company... including Google, Apple, and Microsoft.

Really... take a deep breath... and try not to execute anyone!!!

PS... I corrected your spelling in your quote... LOL!! No reason to execute you over it!!

WOW pretty obvious you've never run a company!! Or one in this century... finding good IT people are hard to find... and every large company, having a huge volume of data has problems. It happens to EVERY company... including Google, Apple, and Microsoft.

Really... take a deep breath... and try not to execute anyone!!!

PS... I corrected your spelling in your quote... LOL!! No reason to execute you over it!!

I agree that saying the CEO should walk in and fire someone in the IT department to make an example of them is ridiculous.

BUT, if you're trying to claim that every large company has the same level of problems with their website as RCCL does, then you're just flat wrong. The amount of data that RCCL deals with is a drop in the bucket vs. operations like eBay, Amazon, or your examples of Google, Apple and Microsoft - and NONE of those websites is as poorly done or as unreliable as RCCL's is, not by a long shot. FWIW, I'm taking from the perspective of a 35 year career in IT myself.

Never knew RCL had a category listed for "BOYFRIEND", just saying....:eek:

I saw that too and immediately thought "What a tacky category to include for business matters like this...uuuuggghh..." :confused: :(

R you serious? That is not how you run a company. You lead your employees with a vision to motivate them. You don't fire someone because there might be things going on that they are not aware of. Perhaps Adam can go ind out what's wrong, but to walk in ad fire someone? Seriously? Your comments remind me of the lady who just got bet up on HAL by the room service guy because she felt entitled!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In a way...yes, I am dead serious. You are correct in that you lead employees with a vision and motivate them. But RCI has been having serious problems with their web site for months. A good leader holds people accountable while motivating. I find it hard to believe the the CEO of RCI is happy their footprint in the World Wide Web makes them look borderline incompetent. If nobody is ever held accountable then things rarely improve. I can give you a real life example. I ran the assembly operations for a manufatucting company some years ago. The process was very labor intensive because of the diversity of product. We even had an assemly belt. Every time we sped up the belt in an attempt to increase productivity the "feeder" would simply space the items further apart. We finally resorted to putting a sticker on the belt where we wanted the cartons and told him not to skip a sticker. I gave him two warnings when I saw "open" stickers. Then third time I just called him in my office and let him go. The next "feeder" never skipped a sticker.

I would even go as far as saying if the CEO is NOT aware of the problems then the Board of Directors should be asking him hard questions...because he is paid to know about those sort of things. Eventually it boils down to people. It really comes down to just a few possibilities; 1 - They are cheap and trying to "get by" with a limping site, 2 - The IT executive is not managing his staff correctly or 3 - The IT staff is not capable of fixing the problem. (feel free to offer another)

As to the poster that mentioned the government web site debacle...see my comment on accountablility. In business, just like life, things happen. But in business people loss their job when they do not perform...at least they do in the vast majority of businesses.

We have a cruise booked for next month with RCCL. I have cruised Carnival a few times and RCCl twice. Well they have listed my 13 yr old grandson as my boyfriend in my cabin. I can overlook that as we booked 2 cabins. Mine for my daughter and I and the other for the 13 yr old and 16 yr old grandsons. We did get that straightened out but for some reason they wanted an additional $300.00...No way that was going to happen! Then we had trouble getting each of us into the right cabins and they wanted an additional $300.00 to change them and add additional room keys. Today I tried to print out our documents and I see our reservations are listed at $300.00? What? $300.00 seems to be their magical number! So am I entitled to this price? I don't want to take advantage of them but if that is the rate now, hey, what the heck? You can't call them, well I guess you could if you have lots of time, as the wait is HOURS and then you may not be able to talk with a real person! I tried emailing them, but so far that has failed. As I was looking thru our cruise records they wanted me, a 65 yr old grandma to sign waivers for the Flow Rider....Uh, no, I don't think I'll be riding that thing! Now, I can't even log in to our cruise. I could go on but this is enough. Anyone know what's going on with RCCL?

Quick question, are your grandsons in a stateroom "next door", "connecting", or "directly across the hall from you and your daughter"?

The waivers need to be signed for the boys. Unfortunatley the website and the systems at the call center our down.

I agree they have a lousy website. A couple of weeks ago we had a dining reservation we cancelled at Chops but it kept showing up in my sister's reservation and we couldn't cancel it online. It took 3 phone calls by my sister and husband to get the mess straightened out and speak to someone who could actually take care of the problem. An hour ago I got online and now they can't even find my reservation even though we have paid in full over a month ago. If it doesn't show up again soon then I'll just have my TA handle the problem as I have shore excursions and dining reservations that are already paid for. Annoying and irritating with the 15 minute wait you have to endure before you can access the site again plus the online agent can't access your information either if you have been there less than 15 minutes. A security safety feature...I know....but still irritating when you have a problem and no one can seem to help you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The grandsons are in a connecting room. There is an inside door from our cabin to theirs. That was actually a nightmare to get them to list all of our names correctly, so we can have correct names on our key cards. The waivers have been signed. Unfortunately the web site is showing I have no cruise booked right now. This is not funny anymore, more like frustrating. Hope all of this goes smoothly, soon. Having second thoughts about RCCL.

The grandsons are in a connecting room. There is an inside door from our cabin to theirs. That was actually a nightmare to get them to list all of our names correctly, so we can have correct names on our key cards. The waivers have been signed. Unfortunately the web site is showing I have no cruise booked right now. This is not funny anymore, more like frustrating. Hope all of this goes smoothly, soon. Having second thoughts about RCCL.

Don't worry, everything will be fine. It says in the important update on the home page that the my cruises area is down.

It must be a real pain to experience an unexpected outage in your back-end system.:D:D Hope they get if fixed soon

LOL! Maybe the system got the Noro virus.:eek:

Edited by debfew

Their "Kids sail free" promotion seems to have caused an unprecedented amount of volume to an IT system that was problematic under a normal volume of traffic. Seems like neither the government or the private sector can design foolproof IT systems. Fortunately the private sector does a better job though, and the problems are not catastrophic.

FWIW, I was on the phone yesterday with C&A about a different matter, and the rep told me that apparently the KSF promotion wasn't set up so it only accepted just "Kids" who sail free, but would accept anyone who is booked as the third or fourth passenger in a cabin. Maybe the system crashed when they tried to fix that "loophole":o

I am able to find my cruise now. Printed out Documents, they have all 4 of our names correct but still have one adult and one child on each set. Guess this should be good enough. The RCCL confirmation is correct, now.