can you cruise with sinus infection?? leaving soon!

nickd508

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are set to cruise Saturday on the Reflection, and flying to Miami on Friday. She found out she has a sinus infection, and is taking antibiotics currently . Is it still ok to cruise? We are so excited for our first cruise, and I feel bad she has this. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will it make motion sickness worse? This is bad timing for sure!

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are set to cruise Saturday on the Reflection, and flying to Miami on Friday. She found out she has a sinus infection, and is taking antibiotics currently . Is it still ok to cruise? We are so excited for our first cruise, and I feel bad she has this. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will it make motion sickness worse? This is bad timing for sure!

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

No motion sickness for me on a cruise last year.......You are going to love the Reflection, our cruise in Feb was excellent.............

She can sail with a sinus infection. And with antibiotics she should be fine by next weekend. The greater concern will be flying if she is still congested. She may want to talk to her doc if she's not feeling better by Wednesday. Can't say if it will affect motion sickness. But she may want to check on this also with her doctor.

If she is currently on antibiotics she should be feeling a lot better by next Saturday. However, if she doesn't show improvement by Tuesday evening she should get back to the doctor. The flight will likely be harder on her than the cruise. I recommend saline irrigation, either using a neti pot or even just a product like "simply saline" (available at most drug stores) a few hours before flying. Also a nasal decongestant to help keep her ears clear.

If her inner ear is affected by the motion of the ship, I suggest either ginger pills or Bonine (non drowsy form of Dramamine).

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately , she cannot take decongestants because of a mitral valve prolapse . Her doctor does not recommend those, or anything that might speed up the heart rate. I'm hoping saline spray on the flight , and her usual daily allergy pill will help, as well as using earplanes. Never tried them before, but have read good stuff online. Not a whole lot of options for the plane. I really hope she doesn't have pain on the flight.

She has bonine and ginger for the cruise . I agree the flight may be the harder part. We really don't want to cancel though, so praying she feels better, and can handle the flight.

Thank you kindly for the replies!

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately , she cannot take decongestants because of a mitral valve prolapse . Her doctor does not recommend those, or anything that might speed up the heart rate. I'm hoping saline spray on the flight , and her usual daily allergy pill will help, as well as using earplanes. Never tried them before, but have read good stuff online. Not a whole lot of options for the plane. I really hope she doesn't have pain on the flight.

She has bonine and ginger for the cruise . I agree the flight may be the harder part. We really don't want to cancel though, so praying she feels better, and can handle the flight.

Thank you kindly for the replies!

I suggest that she ask her cardiologist if he would allow her to use Afrin nasal spray. I am very familiar with MVP and the risks.

Additionally, she could use an herbal inhalant....Olbas Natural Inhaler. I do not do the herbal thing, but this is the exception...suggested originally by my wife's audiologist. I tried it and it actually works extremely well.

Edited by ghstudio

Just so you no, the cruise line has no interest in folks with a run or the mill sinus infection or even a head cold. It is GI issues and Flu that will cause some difficulties.

Hank

Agree with Hank. All they really care about are GI & Flu issues.

LuLu

~~~

Thank you ghstudio. Do you know where I might purchase the herbal inhalor? I will ask her to call her cardiologist , as well, in regards to the afrin. I feel bad for her , because she is stressed out, and worried about feeling okay through the flight. We are both excited, and hoping for the best!

Thank you ghstudio. Do you know where I might purchase the herbal inhalor? I will ask her to call her cardiologist , as well, in regards to the afrin. I feel bad for her , because she is stressed out, and worried about feeling okay through the flight. We are both excited, and hoping for the best!

The stress is more likely to harm her then using an inhaler/spray once 1/2 hour before the flight..but good to check with cardiologist :)

Check google for sources....the obas.com web site says it's available at whole foods (never looked), but we've found it occasionally at other stores.

I was recovering from a sinus infection last time I cruised. I found that using a sinus wash every day the week before I went (I prefer the squeeze bottle over a neti pot) really helped. I was going to suggest strong decongestants too, but I see that she can't take those. Sinus infection while on antibiotics isn't going to be contagious to anyone. I don't think it is even if not on antibiotics. So, this is not the type of thing the cruise line would care about.

I hope you both have a wonderful cruise!

.......and her usual daily allergy pill will help, as well as using earplanes. Never tried them before, but have read good stuff online.
Don't know if they work for everyone, but I find earplanes really helpful in preventing ear pain when descending.

I noticed that they were a lot more expensive to buy in the airports than in a local store (like most other products sold in airports).

Something that really helps, if the flight attendants are willing to do it for you, is to place a few paper napkins into the bottom of two plastic cups, pour a little boiling water in (just enough to soak the napkins, not enough to have loose liquid in there) and hold them over your ears.

The steam opens up the ear channels. This is a common solution used for babies who experience ear pain on flights.

But with coach as crowded as it is on airplanes these days, I think the flight attendants would be more likely to do it for adults in first class than for adults in coach.

Then of course there are the old standard methods of relieving ear pressure oneself, such as yawning, swallowing, chewing gum or sucking on candy, pinching the nose and blowing gently.

Don't know if they work for everyone, but I find earplanes really helpful in preventing ear pain when descending.

I noticed that they were a lot more expensive to buy in the airports than in a local store (like most other products sold in airports).

Something that really helps, if the flight attendants are willing to do it for you, is to place a few paper napkins into the bottom of two plastic cups, pour a little boiling water in (just enough to soak the napkins, not enough to have loose liquid in there) and hold them over your ears.

The steam opens up the ear channels. This is a common solution used for babies who experience ear pain on flights.

But with coach as crowded as it is on airplanes these days, I think the flight attendants would be more likely to do it for adults in first class than for adults in coach.

Then of course there are the old standard methods of relieving ear pressure oneself, such as yawning, swallowing, chewing gum or sucking on candy, pinching the nose and blowing gently.

Thanks for posting about the cups and earplanes suggestions - we'll try anything that helps. My DS has problems on most flights and actually had an ear infection on our last trip to the States - very painful indeed; resulted in him vomiting several times during the flight. Our GP has prescribed decongestant medication to take for a week prior to our next flight, and antibiotics/steroids to bring with us in case it turns nasty again.

OP - We found swimming only exacerbated his congestion problems and our GP has since recommended using earplugs when venturing into the water (this may help your GF ;)).

see your chiropractor-one adjustment and it gets your sinus track flowing correctly - just some thing from someone who use to have chronic sinsus problems.

Start your ginger at least 3 days before you go.

Back from the Reflection sailing 2 weeks now, you will love your time.

Earplanes are fantastic!! For our last two cruises, we had to fly to Europe to meet the ship. Both times I had a sinus infection. Was on antibiotics week before I left, used saline solution an hour before take-off, and the earplanes according to instructions. I couldn't believe how great they worked. Felt no ear pressure at all. Very reasonably priced at Wal-mart.

I too suffered with sinus congestion and headaches and all the wonderful misery to go along with it for years. Although it might be too late for you to have done before the cruise, I just had an in office procedure called Balloon Sinuplasty. It has really helped my condition. Ask your ENT doctor about it. It just might do the trick. Good luck...

Phil

I had a sinus infection for multiple years. Recently I took a course of one antibiotic and then a course of another antibiotic....for other conditions...and as a byproduct it cleared up my sinus infection disappeared. So much for war stories though....none of this helps the op.

At this point they need treatment for the symptoms....not a cure...and with MVP and presumably afib, it requires a treatment that is safe....and many have been suggested. I don't think an in office(?) surgical procedure is what the op was looking for.....

Thanks, everyone! This is a great site!

Loracpin2, glad to hear about the earplanes . my girlfriend did buy some. Did you have any facial pain\ headache when flying? She's read some horror stories online about flying with bad sinuses. I need to keep her away from that stuff lol. Seriously though, it is a concern, and want to be as prepared as possible .

Okay, if we haven't all medicated her enough, :)you might ask the Doc for a prednisone pack. This steroid greatly reduces the inflammation in the sinus cavity and its membranes. It can also be given as a shot so she doesn't have to remember to take all of those little pills each day.

I suggest that she ask her cardiologist if he would allow her to use Afrin nasal spray. I am very familiar with MVP and the risks.

Additionally, she could use an herbal inhalant....Olbas Natural Inhaler. I do not do the herbal thing, but this is the exception...suggested originally by my wife's audiologist. I tried it and it actually works extremely well.

Not to be a spoil sport here, but I used Afrin and it caused my heart to beat so fast, and i fainted. :eek: so not sure why it happened, but if op's friend has heart issue, or MVP, maybe Afrin wouldn't be the best?

Oh, and I have had lots of sinus issues, and truthfully, most don't require antibiotics. Best thing many is allergy pills and or wht others have suggested , irrigate sinuses with the proper saline solution Seems to give me a great deal of relief

Edited by 4cats4me

Not to be a spoil sport here, but I used Afrin and it caused my heart to beat so fast, and i fainted. :eek: so not sure why it happened, but if op's friend has heart issue, or MVP, maybe Afrin wouldn't be the best?

Everyone reacts differently as well as other medications they are on which control heartbeats such as ace inhibitors, beta blockers, etc. that's why I suggested talking to cardiologist.

I'd be careful with prednisone...it interacts with some blood thinners.

Btw..I'm not a doctor or a pharmacist, just someone familiar with MVP and afib....

Edited by ghstudio