Guarantee 'ocean view'

fraj1

Hi - looking for some advice- I've never booked a 'guarantee' cabin before - looking at maybe doing a guarantee ocean view on journey - anyone any experience to share?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We returned yesterday from our first Azamara cruise - on the Quest. It was also our first time to use an ocean view guarantee booking.

For us, it went well. We knew at the time of booking that we could been assigned a cabin in any one of a number of grades, including "obstructed ocean view", which means 'behind the life boats on deck 6'. Those cabins are also the smallest on the ship at 143 sq. ft. (We met a man who was traveling with his wife in one of them. He said it was very tight with 2 people in that cabin.)

We also knew that we might not know our cabin assignment until just before leaving for the cruise.

As it turned out, we were assigned cabin 4019 about two months before departure. It is rated as a category 05 cabin, just at the beginning of those that are considered mid-ship. We were very pleased with how it worked out for us. Disclaimer: your results may vary. :confused:

If you are willing to risk getting one of the "obstructed ocean view" cabins then an ocean view guarantee can save you quite a bit of money.

We returned yesterday from our first Azamara cruise - on the Quest. It was also our first time to use an ocean view guarantee booking.

For us, it went well. We knew at the time of booking that we could been assigned a cabin in any one of a number of grades, including "obstructed ocean view", which means 'behind the life boats on deck 6'. Those cabins are also the smallest on the ship at 143 sq. ft. (We met a man who was traveling with his wife in one of them. He said it was very tight with 2 people in that cabin.)

We also knew that we might not know our cabin assignment until just before leaving for the cruise.

As it turned out, we were assigned cabin 4019 about two months before departure. It is rated as a category 05 cabin, just at the beginning of those that are considered mid-ship. We were very pleased with how it worked out for us. Disclaimer: your results may vary. :confused:

If you are willing to risk getting one of the "obstructed ocean view" cabins then an ocean view guarantee can save you quite a bit of money.

If you are prepared to accept the lowest in the cat you book its great. Our first Azamara we booked a GTY ocean view and got a mid ship balcony. Second one (end of April 2014) booked an inside GTY with a great deal, got a 05 midship on deck 4. Our friends booked gty OV and got a great midship balcony on the same sailing.

Love Azamara ;)

Yvonne

If you are prepared to accept the lowest in the cat you book its great. Our first Azamara we booked a GTY ocean view and got a mid ship balcony. Second one (end of April 2014) booked an inside GTY with a great deal, got a 05 OV midship on deck 4. Our friends booked gty OV and got a great midship balcony on the same sailing.

Love Azamara ;)

Yvonne

If you are prepared to accept the lowest in the cat you book its great. Our first Azamara we booked a GTY ocean view and got a mid ship balcony. Second one (end of April 2014) booked an inside GTY with a great deal, got a 05 OV midship on deck 4. Our friends booked gty OV and got a great midship balcony on the same sailing.

Love Azamara ;)

Yvonne

Hudandpug,

Sorry for going off topic, but i have to acknowledge the brilliance of you Beef Stroganoff posting/thread. It's a real pity it got removed.

Hudandpug,

Sorry for going off topic, but i have to acknowledge the brilliance of you Beef Stroganoff posting/thread. It's a real pity it got removed.

Thanks Norn iron

It was a bit of fun with a reality twist, the originator of the review must have objected. Something had to be said, still should. I was rather surprised it was removed given that extreme reviews (low/high star) are often critiqued.

Nevermind I won't try that again! I may try the moan button though;)

Yvonne

PS. Sorry for the double post, just noticed, no idea what happened, I did an edit and hey presto, now I look, two posts:confused:

Edited by HudandPug

• 3 weeks later...
Hi - looking for some advice- I've never booked a 'guarantee' cabin before - looking at maybe doing a guarantee ocean view on journey - anyone any experience to share?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We had a guaranteed ocean view last year and were allocated 4050, a category 5 cabin (there are only about 4 category 4 ocean view cabins). It was very quiet but was in a great location just near guest relations and the stairs up to the mosaic cafe and main dining room. Worked out well for us.

Have booked GTY in the past & have been allocated an obstructed view cabin & been very happy,BUT on my last was allocated "an ocean view "on deck 3 & absolutely hated it ! Tiny porthole,no artwork or mirror on the walls,plain miserable.Paid to be upgraded.Honestly thought those cabins were for crew !

As I understand it, in the UK, if we book a GTY, we have to accept the cabin given to us and cannot request a change. I once think I read that if I booked through a US agent I could ask for a change - am I dreaming or is this correct?

As I understand it, in the UK, if we book a GTY, we have to accept the cabin given to us and cannot request a change. I once think I read that if I booked through a US agent I could ask for a change - am I dreaming or is this correct?

That is also my understanding

Thanks for all these responses - good to get a balanced view - I seem to have read of US changes to rooms allocated too and was wondering if it was possible in the UK.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I once asked about changing GTY rooms and price drops that seem to be readily available to US customers.

The TA I asked, sounded confuddled and handed me to a senior who said, as far as changing rooms that is not usually possible as the GTY price is much lower reflecting the acceptance of what you may get. Nor is it usually possible to benefit from price drops, unless, the booking is cancelled and then rebooked, some TAs will work this for you. There was some general discussion around this.

I got the feeling that it's a mixture of TA culture norms and restrictions around the actual booking system available to UK TAs.

Not sure how this would apply if booking direct through Azamara

Yvonne

Edited by HudandPug

Thanks for all these responses - good to get a balanced view - I seem to have read of US changes to rooms allocated too and was wondering if it was possible in the UK.

My understanding is no it is not possible, the reason I was given was the UK based systems do not allow this. In the end I've just booked a guarantee this week (it was certainly the guarantee price) through an overseas "scanning" site and was able to choose my room on the final page of the booking process.

Normally we do not do guarantee but thus was an extra last minute decision and the price was the difference between to book or not to book.

I don't know about changing cabin but I do know that if there is a price drop you will get it if booked through a US agent but not if booking is with a UK agent.

Some cruise lines won't let us use a US TA but Azamara will.

The price used to be better when booking in the US but now is virtually the same or slightly better in the UK. All depends on the exchange rate!

We have used a US agent when booking a cruise way in the future as if we need to cancel our deposit is fully refundable (UK you loose the deposit).

We booked a gty and were given our cabin on the phone by the azamara agent.....i was very disappointed with the cabin and asked if there was anything we could do....she said she could remove the cabin assignment and allow the cabin to be assigned by the 'home office'

We are very happy with the cabin assigned by the office

We were originally assigned the end cabin (balcony) which had horrible reviews

We were moved to midship.

Not sure i would go gty again as i think we would have been disappointed in the first cabin

I don't know about changing cabin but I do know that if there is a price drop you will get it if booked through a US agent but not if booking is with a UK agent.

Some cruise lines won't let us use a US TA but Azamara will.

The price used to be better when booking in the US but now is virtually the same or slightly better in the UK. All depends on the exchange rate!

We have used a US agent when booking a cruise way in the future as if we need to cancel our deposit is fully refundable (UK you loose the deposit).

Two friends who have booked one with Celebrity and one with UK TA have both just received without any problems price drops one also after final payment. I don't see why Azamara should be any different.

I have also had a guarantee cabin changed, but only after some negotiation!!!

Two friends who have booked one with Celebrity and one with UK TA have both just received without any problems price drops one also after final payment. I don't see why Azamara should be any different.

I have also had a guarantee cabin changed, but only after some negotiation!!!

That's really interesting, thank you for the info. This must be a fairly new thing.

I am surprised that they received a reduction after final payment. How did they get it? Was it an actual refund or OBC?

That's really interesting, thank you for the info. This must be a fairly new thing.

I am surprised that they received a reduction after final payment. How did they get it? Was it an actual refund or OBC?

A few years ago I wrote to RCCL and Celebrity about the differences in the way UK and US passengers are treated and that was when I was told that UK passengers can claim for price drops even after final payment. My friend who is going to the Baltic in May has been given a refund on her credit card, this was with Celebrity.

Hope this helps:)

A few years ago I wrote to RCCL and Celebrity about the differences in the way UK and US passengers are treated and that was when I was told that UK passengers can claim for price drops even after final payment. My friend who is going to the Baltic in May has been given a refund on her credit card, this was with Celebrity.

Hope this helps:)

This was part of the discussion I had with my TA. The only way they could do it was to cancel and rebook, all of which depended on how full the ship was. They also pointed out that due to the commision etc set up for TAs over here (UK), compared to various laws that govern some things in the US, it was a whole different industry.

Maybe a TA or someone like Bonnie :) may enlighten us on the amazing world of the US versus UK travel agents commision, and more importantly, starting sell price from the CLs.

Just a thought ;)

Yvonne

Wow UKTOG wish I knew about the overseas 'scanning' site! I've just taken the plunge and booked my first GTY ocean view on the back of all the helpful comments but would be much happier knowing which cabin I had!

Have booked GTY in the past & have been allocated an obstructed view cabin & been very happy,BUT on my last was allocated "an ocean view "on deck 3 & absolutely hated it ! Tiny porthole,no artwork or mirror on the walls,plain miserable.Paid to be upgraded.Honestly thought those cabins were for crew !

:) "footnote"

Booked via UK TA a GTY O/V & that was what I was assigned prior to boarding.

BUT when on the Quest & saw the cabin was really disappointed,it was AWFUL.

(see above)

Went directly to reception & paid an upgrade fee of I think about $300 to be moved to an O/v on deck 8.

Have booked GTY in the past & been allocated an obstructed view which in my opinion is fine.

We recently booked at the last minute a GTY inside and were upgraded to an oceanview obstructed view which, although smaller in size, was a great gift given that we had natural light all day long in the cabin and a partial view of the sea. GTY oceanview to an obstructed oceanview might be considered a downgrade, but inside to an obstructed oceanview, in my opinion, is a gift. Thank you gods of Azamara, because despite the smaller cabin than we had initially planned for, we had an amazing cruise with natural light and views we hadn't ever expected!

Thank you to the OP for raising this question. I too have often wondered about the guarantee cabins, whether they be OV or verandah. I've never really priced them out because I'm dead set on a verandah. Is there that much of a savings booking a guarantee cabin? It may be something we consider in the future.

Thank you to the OP for raising this question. I too have often wondered about the guarantee cabins, whether they be OV or verandah. I've never really priced them out because I'm dead set on a verandah. Is there that much of a savings booking a guarantee cabin? It may be something we consider in the future.

Mwc

When we booked the INSIDE TO VERANDAH special it was a GTY in essence ....in that we took the cabin they assigned....and yes...I think that was a considerable savings ....

We're booked on the Journey b2b August 8 and 20 in an OV guarantee. The price difference between the guarantee and a balcony was approximately $2000 per person per cruise, for a total of $8,000. For us, that's a significant amount of money. It will pay for another cruise. So we decided to take the chance.