When was your first Princess Cruise?

h20skibum

Dawn Princess, Mexican Riviera, November 2007 for our 33rd anniversary, balcony stateroom. This is a story I love telling, so my apologies if it's long and/or boring!

I had wanted to take a cruise pretty much all of my life; my husband refused, especially after watching "The Poseiden Adventure". :)

In January of 2007, he insisted we get passports. I dragged my feet, objecting all the way but finally did it.

About six weeks later, he handed me a folder with the cruise information and a "Surprise! Happy Anniversary!" Not only had he done this, but he went to both of my bosses (I was working two jobs at the time) and requested time off for me; he made all of the arrangements behind my back, including the night-before-accomodations. Included with the cruise information was a link to the Princess website with instructions on how to access our cruise plus the Princess webcam. He also gave me the gift of planning and dreaming during all those months leading up to the actual cruise.

One of the greatest vacations I've ever taken, and not just because it was a cruise. He did so much work to do something he was reluctant about just to please me. He's a keeper!

Like others on this board, I am now hooked.

We sailed on NCL in 2011 and are going to Alaska on Grand Princess this August with our son and his wife for their first-ever cruise. Planning a Panama Canal full transit in two or three years (can't cruise like you all do!) and will do that one on Princess as well.

Thanks for asking this question!

Edited by mammajamma2013

As a kid, I did a Carnival Cruise to Mexico I think. And another on the S.S. Azure Seas (I think it was). BUT, the first REAL cruise, that I actually remember and enjoyed as an adult was a 10 Day r/t SF to Alaska on board the old Regal Princess, which was the sister ship to the old Crown Princess, which looked exactly like the photo below. I wrote a lengthy review 10 years ago on Cruise Critic, but I believe the review is gone since the new Regal Princess starts sailing soon.

I promised myself 10 years later I'd cruise back to Alaska, and now I am in about 55 days. :)

aby5ube9.jpg[/img]

Our first cruise was on the Costa Classica in 2005. We were not impressed with the ship but still had a good time. We wanted to try something newer so we took our first Princess cruise on the Coral in 2007 and did the Panama Canal partial. We were hooked right away and the Coral Princess is still my favourite ship so far. I love the mid size ships.

Our first Princess cruise was on the Diamond, January 2007 to the Mexico.

This was our first cruise in almost eight years after having our daughter, who is a cruise addict and will be on her 20th cruise next month.

This was also the one that started the absolute madness! :D

My first cruise on Princess was aboard this ship (still my favourite), the venerable Island Princess, in August 1994. Departing from Southampton with calls in LeHavre, Lisbon, Tangier, Gibraltar, Cannes, Livorno, Civitavecchia. and ending in Barcelona.

Oh, yeah, I shoulda included my room #: F275. And they were real keys, not key cards!

IslandPrincess_sc2083.jpg.41f5206c6e130571e462db6716273480.jpg

Edited by rdsqrl

First Princess cruise was 2005 on the Caribbean. Room B529. We did the eastern Caribbean in the summer.

First every cruise had been a few years earlier on Disney Wonder during our daughter's spring break. A 4 night event that took us to their island and Nassau. Daughter still only has one to her name, we will take number 9 this summer.

Fun question. I'm loving the stories!

1999 on the Costa Victoria to the Carribbean. It was for our 25th anniversary. My husband did not want to go and our children "shamed" him into taking me. On the third day we were sitting at the back of the ship enjoying a drink when he turned to me and said, Never knew how much I'd love this. We have been cruising ever since. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary on board the Grand in April for a 15 day Hawaiian.

Edited by cruisealot54

Our first ever cruise was on the Norwegian Caribbean Line's Skyward in 1973, a combination late wedding trip and dh's med school graduation. Next was in 1991, when we took daughters on Big Red Boat to celebrate dh's return from Saudi Arabia and Desert Strorm. Finally--our 1st Princess cruise was in April, 1993, on the original Crown Princess to western Caribbean, for our 20th anniversary. We'll be taking our 10th PCL cruise in May--love them, and we do "escape completely" while on the ships....:)

First Princess cruise was on the Fair Princess 1989 Scandinavian cruise. First cruise I ever took was in 1984 on the same ship when she was the Fairsea. I was also on the Fairwind the day Princess executives came to look at the ship and announced that they would go ahead and purchase Sitmar.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk 4

4 days after 9/11. Out of Vancouver. A lot of ships were parked here as floating hotels. We were filled to the rafters of cruisers from other lines that weren't going anywhere. Princess saved a few vacations that week.

Edited by Cruise Junky

1997 on the Sea Princess. I took my mom. It was a Western Caribbean cruise. The Sea Princess was pretty new at the time and was lovely.

Maybe that was 1998, since the Sea Princess was launched in January 1998...:)

Our first cruise ever was on the Crown Princess, in November 2007, when we did the Southern Caribbean Explorer itinerary out of San Juan. We have cruised every year since, exclusively on Princess Cruises, so we can "Escape Completely, on The Consummate Host". Keep up the good work Princess!

Edited by cruisincdns

But I'll never forget my first Princess Cruise - it was Vancouver-Alaska roundtrip on the Dawn Princess on September 14, 2001.

We didn't even know if we'd be sailing or not until the day before - nerve-wracking...

I remember sailing past the X Infinity as she was moored, going nowhere as she was being used as a floating hotel for the passengers who couldn't fly home.

I am surprised you were able to sail only 3 days after 9-11. We got off the brand new X Infinity in early August. I was working in downtown Vancouver in August/September 2001 and looked at the Infinity tied up at Canada Place for at least two weeks after 9-11.

First Princess cruise was on the Caribbean Princess B2B 7 day Eastern then Western Caribbean out of FLL August 2006. Now with 13 Princess cruises in total (stating 14/15&16 in a week) we have only done three non Princess cruises since the first (and second) Princess cruises in 2006.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

My first Princess cruise was in August 1998 on the beautiful Regal Princess. to.Alaska.....I still cruise on her now as the Pacific Dawn.

Some changes I know, but still lovely to me...

kind regards, Lorraine :):):)

I am surprised you were able to sail only 3 days after 9-11. We got off the brand new X Infinity in early August. I was working in downtown Vancouver in August/September 2001 and looked at the Infinity tied up at Canada Place for at least two weeks after 9-11.

First Princess cruise was on the Caribbean Princess B2B 7 day Eastern then Western Caribbean out of FLL August 2006. Now with 13 Princess cruises in total (stating 14/15&16 in a week) we have only done three non Princess cruises since the first (and second) Princess cruises in 2006.

Terry

I was also in Dawn, I was just a day off. We took a lot of Celebrity passengers. It might have been because it was a short Alaska trip just to Ketchikan so there would have been a lot of locals on it that didn't need to fly

My first cruise was in 1971 from Yokohama, Japan to Siberia USSR. It was more transportation than a cruise. Later that summer I took a ship from Odessa to Istanbul. Still not much of a cruise, but more like transportation. Both were on Soviet ships. ( i took the Trans Siberian to Moscow.)

Our first Princess cruise was in Oct 2008 on the Star out of San Francisco to Mexico for 10 days. I still rate it as one of the best cruises. Every night there was a huge party in Skywalkers. That never happened again!

My first Princess cruise was Christmas 2001 on the original Ocean Princess to the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale. My first cruise ever was on the original Holland America Veendam (sister ship to the Prinsendam) from Vancouver to Alaska roundtrip on September 8, 1979 (the day the original Vancouver Whitecaps won Soccerbowl). Therefore, I missed the parade in downtown Vancouver!! And in those days everyone could come on the ship to see you off. So, I had my mom, dad, brother, sister, 4 cousins, 2 girlfriends and 2 co-workers who came onboard to wish me Bon Voyage. My how things have changed............ As you can see by my signature, I am a dedicated Princess girl!:) Bon Voyage!