Books in the Library

Newbury newbie

Hi

My wife and I each have a Kindle, w. about 500(mostly free) books on each. I subscribe to Bookbub, Ereader and KEB, daily free/bargain book emails. I also borrow ebooks from the library. Bookbub and Ereader work w. all ereaders, KEB, kindles only.

Tom:)

On infinity most books are fiction and were published before 2004. There is also some travel guides and foreign language books. Currently. The library is closed and all books removed due to a code red that has been in effect for the last 3 days. iPad and kindle are the best way to go to get current stuff. Also. There is no take a book leave a book exchange like there is on royal Caribbean

I was on the Eclipse in January. I didn't visit the library as early in the cruise as I should have, but part way through the 14 day cruise, Celebrity completely stocked the 'Take a Book, Leave a Book' section as the shelves went from 'slim pickings' to absolutely crammed with brand new books. I found many great books to read and appreciated Celebrity providing them as I haven't made the jump to an e-reader as I don't read that much, but love to read while relaxing on a cruise.

Dianne

Every time we have seen the "take a book, leave a book" it is from passengers contributions, not the cruise line. Don't know why they would buy new books so that people could take them home with them. If it is Celebrity's book, the put stickers inside that say if you take it off the ship alarms will go off. Not sure that is true, though...

Does anyone know if there are any children's books on Equinox?

Harry Potter is considered by some to be a children's book. There is not a complete set but that is the only title I have ever seen that might interest our grandchildren.

I love my Kindle. I feel that it is one of the best products ever made. You can sit outside and read in the sun with no glare.

!

Well, I can't sit outside and read in the sun with my Kindle HD. I can with my old model. Kindles are great but be aware of what is important to you and what capabilities the particular Kindle model has. They are invaluable for traveling, that's for sure. I have at least 1000 hardbound books in my library and love the feel of a real book, but I confess when on the road, only a Kindle comes with me.

Edited by BosoxI

You don't have to pay if you are a public library cardholder. The last great bargain of our times! Kobo and Sony are the two e-readers that are compatible with libraries. Kindle is not, which might influence your decision to buy one. I never buy books.

My daughter checks out books for her Kindle from the local library. Check with your local library. I have had 3 different Kindles myself and have bought two for presents. I bought my dad one for his bday and he loves it.

Well, I can't sit outside and read in the sun with my Kindle HD. I can with my old model. Kindles are great but be aware of what is important to you and what capabilities the particular Kindle model has. They are invaluable for traveling, that's for sure. I have at least 1000 hardbound books in my library and love the feel of a real book, but I confess when on the road, only a Kindle comes with me.

The HD is more like a tablet/computer, not so good in the sun. Try making the background black and the text white, that helps a little bit. That's what I did at the beach with my Kindle Fire. I try to bring my regular Kindle for use in the sun.

ETA: I've owned a Kindle Fire, the Smaller Kindle, and original Kindle Keyboard 3G. I love my old Kindle 3G, with the keyboard. I have the case with the pop up book light. I'm sad to report that my original Kindle is on its last leg. I may just have to buy the Kindle Paperwhite next. Has anyone here used that style Kindle? If so, do you like it?

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

I would buy a Kindle or similar, the books in Eclipse's library were dire.. (we left yesterday)

Fine if you like the type of fiction where it's all about fantasy/science fiction/ fairies but very hard to find many modern authors, and 99% were American based.

I probably read around 8 books from the library and they took me ages to find anything different to the above. .

There were a couple of decent ones but with your kindle you get to load it before you leave home and once Amazon sees the type of thing you buy it suggests similar books to you.

ETA: I've owned a Kindle Fire, the Smaller Kindle, and original Kindle Keyboard 3G. I love my old Kindle 3G, with the keyboard. I have the case with the pop up book light. I'm sad to report that my original Kindle is on its last leg. I may just have to buy the Kindle Paperwhite next. Has anyone here used that style Kindle? If so, do you like it?

I bought the original Kindle the weekend it came out and know exactly what you mean about being sad when it finally gives up the ghost. I also have a Fire and the 3rd gen Kindle with the keyboard, whichever one that one was. I loved it and wasn't sure I would want a Paperwhite. Well, I got one as a gift Christmas before last, and I love it! I didn't think I wanted a light in it, but it really is nice not having to be dependent on a book light or lamp. I would say go for it, and if you really hate it you always have 30 days to send it back.

I work at a public library and agree that Overdrive and 3M e-books are great services provided by a lot of libraries. For those that like to read magazines, many public libraries now offer Zinio which offers free magazines that you can download to your device. All you need is a library card and a device to enjoy many great titles!

I work at a public library and agree that Overdrive and 3M e-books are great services provided by a lot of libraries. For those that like to read magazines, many public libraries now offer Zinio which offers free magazines that you can download to your device. All you need is a library card and a device to enjoy many great titles!

I love Zinio too - works well on all tablets (except Nooks) with the Zinio app. Once the magazines are downloaded, no internet is needed to view and read magazines. saves so much paper and money!!

I have the Kindle paper white too and love it - especially for reading in the middle of the night

Edited by librarylady19

We have been on the infinity and Solstice - I thought the selection of books left much to be desired. I have a lot of books loaded on my iPad with a kindle app. I get some from my hometown library before we go and I also go to a site called e pixel on my computer that has a lot of free books.

The fact that my library only supports Kobo or Sony readers must be an Ontario situation, or maybe a Canadian or even just a local thing. Many posters are fine with their Kindle. Interesting to hear about this. Anyway, I agree that e-readers are the way to go with travelling.

[quote name='MsSoCalCruiser']
If you go to Amazon's web site, they list their top 100 free books. That's right, free! I probably have at least 50 of the free books on my Kindle now. If you don't like the book you can just delete it. [/QUOTE]

You don't have access to just the top 100. Just do an Amazon search for free books and there are literally hundreds that come up, splittable down by Genre/Author etc. Only downside is you may never have heard of the author.

Happy hunting:).

[quote name='harz99']You don't have access to just the top 100. Just do an Amazon search for free books and there are literally hundreds that come up, splittable down by Genre/Author etc. Only downside is you may never have heard of the author.

Happy hunting:).[/quote]

I usually read histories, biographies, or old classics and many of the classics are free or 99 cents. If you're Prime, it's even better. Cunard is the only line I've traveled on that had a decent lirary, but on the Connie last week, I actually found several books of interest. Took a bit of searching, though. I'd rather hold a book than a Kindle.

The library is rather hit and miss. We have gone on embarkation and found some great books people have left behind, there is a section just for those but on the last 3, there was nothing - lots in spanish and german but nothing to read at all

Thank goodness for my kindle - I've read over 15 free books in the last couple of months and only had 2 that I gave up on - search amazon for kindle free books