best time to buy coffee cards?

dsf3

When is the best time, money wise, to buy coffee (and soda) cards? Pre-order them? Buy them upon check-in before boarding? On the ship? Thanks!
No cost difference between pre-ordering or buying them onboard. Check-in is merely that...you cannot buy or change anything. Unless you want to pre-pay, you might as well just buy them onboard. The soda card can be purchased in any dining area/room, bar, lounge, or table set up in the Atrium and outside the buffet. A coffee card can be purchased in the Lobby bar on deck 5 or the International Cafe, depending on your ship.

No cost difference between pre-ordering or buying them onboard. Check-in is merely that...you cannot buy or change anything. Unless you want to pre-pay, you might as well just buy them onboard. The soda card can be purchased in any dining area/room, bar, lounge, or table set up in the Atrium and outside the buffet. A coffee card can be purchased in the Lobby bar on deck 5 or the International Cafe, depending on your ship.

Perfect, thanks!

When is the best time, money wise, to buy coffee (and soda) cards? Pre-order them? Buy them upon check-in before boarding? On the ship? Thanks!
No difference for the soda packages. The coffee card is $31.00 if ordered in advance or $33.35 if purchased on board ($29.00 plus 15% gratuity of $4.35). Last time we bought a coffee card on board in January of 2013, I believe they offered the coffee mug for $3.00. DW got one and has brought it on our three subsequent cruises but with coffee cards obtained by changing out our mini-bar.

I pre-purchased my coffee card for the Ocean Princess for our January 2014 cruise at a cost of $31. No mug offer, so I brought one from a prior cruise. Onboard the ship, the cards sold for $33., plus gratuity.

I brought along an old card from the CB which DH used for the premium coffee that use the punches.

Darcy

How do I pre purchase coffee cards? I don't see it on cruise personalizer.
It's not in your Personalizer. Here's a link (scroll all the way to the bottom): http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

As for charging a tax while in port, I found that they hand write the charge that you sign and enter it into the system after sailing. I don't know if that's policy or something the servers I've had have done.

So, how good of a deal are the coffee cards?

How much for a specialty coffee on board?

How many does a card buy?

Must each person have his own card, or can a couple share one?

The card has 15 punches. If you want extra shots, it uses more than one punch, but the basic latte, mocha, etc is just one punch, for either the small or large size (or your own mug)

Any number of people can share the card to purchase drinks. It's not politically correct to share for the free brewed coffee but some people do.

Sorry, I never look at the prices for the coffee, so that part I can't answer. I think the cheapest is around $2.75 but I always order a larger size.

The card has 15 punches. If you want extra shots, it uses more than one punch, but the basic latte, mocha, etc is just one punch, for either the small or large size (or your own mug)

Any number of people can share the card to purchase drinks. It's not politically correct to share for the free brewed coffee but some people do.

Sorry, I never look at the prices for the coffee, so that part I can't answer. I think the cheapest is around $2.75 but I always order a larger size.

So, does this mean that plain coffee is not free unless one has a card?

So, does this mean that plain coffee is not free unless one has a card?
There's plenty of free coffee throughout the ship: buffet, dining rooms, room service, etc. However, there's no free coffee in the Atrium/Piazza; only brewed or specialty coffee.

Pam, I am the least knowledgeable on this topic, but I thought brewed coffee did not need a punch - just the card.

Just the card if you bought that card on your current cruise. If it's a card left over from a previous cruise then it will cost 1 punch for brewed coffee.

Just the card if you bought that card on your current cruise. If it's a card left over from a previous cruise then it will cost 1 punch for brewed coffee.

You're right about leftover cards but you might get lucky...we just got off the Royal and had an old card - they didn't look once so we got brewed coffee all week - no punches. Also, on the Royal, you can get Gelato or a crepe (at Gelato's) for a punch.