Royal Snobs?

It's possible to dislike the changes but still like RCCL. It's only 1 (2) ships so far.

Now if they go that way for the whole fleet they will lose me as a customer.

I'm not mad about it, I realize others like that kind of dining, and RCCL of course is free to cater to whatever demographic they wish.

But they're not catering to me. I go on cruises to have a different experience from land. A big part of that has always been the traditional dining. I am opened minded and have tried other types of dining, including NCL. I still prefer traditional, in fact that's a big reason we've sailed Royal more in the last few years.

I think it would be virtually impossible to roll this concept out fleetwide.

How do you know it's going to be absolutely amazing? I think it sounds awful and will avoid it. They are copy cats of NCL and must feel NCL is stealing some market share from them so they are trying to get that back. I also like no formals on NCL so I hope RCL follows suit on that too before my sailing on RCL later this year. I will look to see the re

views and perhaps change my mind but I wouldn't book it.[/QUOT Sounds more like the upscale approach that Disney has with different dining rooms with a different approach to food and you rotate between them. Don't think Royal is out to copy NCL.

Edited by squadron
typing and spacing errors.

I think it would be virtually impossible to roll this concept out fleetwide.

I was actually thinking about this last night, trying to brainstrom a way it would be possible. The only thing I could think of would be having each level of the MDR on Voyager through Oasis Class ships become its own mini-themed MDR. Would probably work best on the Oasis Class ships where you can't climb down between levels of the MDR from within the restaurant. That's really the only way I could figure out to make that work... and even still, it would take a lot of work.

That said, I think it's something they could consider if it is a wild success on the Quantum Class.

Some people just love to complain and some just arent good with change.

Possibly the best, most accurate post of the day!

Like it or not the days of free or as RCI says complementary dining is on the way out. Within the next several years there will be no complementary options only for a fee option.

Yes this includes windjammer!

Appears cruising is soon to be far more expensive.

You say this with such authority, and yet.... there are still plenty of complementary places to eat. In fact, they're adding more to Quantum. Never say never, but I doubt they'd ever get rid of ALL complementary options. Can you imagine the uproar? Pretty sure they would not want to deal with that PR nightmare.

However...very high on the list of what I really enjoy about a cruise is the traditional MDR set-up. We LOVE sitting at a large table and getting to know the people with whom we share evening meals. Based on what RCI has released, there is not REALLY five "included" dining options every night. One of them is reserved for suites or higher...one is formal every night (OK...maybe we go there one or two nights since they currently have "formal" nights). That leaves three...and one focused on "comfort food". When I think of comfort food I think of chains like Cracker Barrell, Black-eyed Pea, etc. (not exactly something to excite me on a cruise). Another focuses on Pan-Asian style food. It sounds like the menus will basically be the same every night in those places. So you see...for us it eliminates a very significant reason we like cruising. Therefore, this class will not be for us.

Last time we did a set seating and weren't cruising with friends our table mates included folks who either didn't speak English, didn't return after the first night, or wouldn't participate in any sort of conversation. Plus, given the number of threads where people ask how to get a table for just 2, it would seem there are as many or more people who prefer NOT to sit with strangers.

Hmm... Cracker Barrel.... have you seen a complete menu from the "comfort food" place yet? Something tells me it will not be like Cracker Barrel. But whatever, you've made up your mind I guess.

Even if the menus don't change from night to night... you won't eat everything on the menu the first time you visit a particular place will you? So seems like there will still be plenty of variety to choose from over the course of a cruise.

I would never cruise on this ship or any ship that offers this dining plan. Suite guests and formal attire would get the best meals and the rest of us would get comfort food like meatloaf and mac & cheese or Chinese food. This promotes the return of the classes type cruising.

Of the five complimentary, full-service restaurants, the 128-seat Mediterranean/California-influenced Coastal Kitchen will be for guests in suite accommodations only. Another, The Grande, designed as a nod to classic European ocean liners, will require formal attire nightly.

The other complimentary eateries are the American Icon Grill, serving comfort food; Chic, where a contemporary menu includes a focus on proteins; and the Pan-Asian Silk

Hmm... Cracker Barrel.... have you seen a complete menu from the "comfort food" place yet? Something tells me it will not be like Cracker Barrel. But whatever, you've made up your mind I guess.

The menu's are all available on the RCI site.

It was the same way with Oasis. There was even a group formed here called NOOTS that meant something to the effect of Never On Oasis of The Seas. Im willing to bet 90% of those members have sailed an Oasis ship now and love them.

Some people just love to complain and some just arent good with change.

I love the new ideas and the new Quantum ships. I only hope they eventually homeport one in FL, preferably Pt Canaveral, so in a few years maybe the prices will lower some and I will get to experience one of these amazing ships.

Heck, Ive still got to go on an Oasis class first.

While never a NOOTS, I had very serious doubts about the Oasis, I really didnt know how a ship that big could work, but it works very well (for the most part). I have been on both Oasis and Allure now and they make the Voyager Class seem outdated.

I am not raving about this concept, but I have looked at the menus and they look pretty good. I see enough variety of things that I would like that I could definitely make it through a week or more without having to go to a specialty restaurant. There are some times now when on a ship, none of the mains look good so I end up eating at Windjammers, now at least I will have restaurants to pick from

I still have some doubts about NorthStar, mainly because I dont see how they can rotate enough passengers through

Like it or not the days of free or as RCI says complementary dining is on the way out. Within the next several years there will be no complementary options only for a fee option.

This will be fleet wide and the MDR will either disappear or will have a nightly charge!

Rember the outrage when the first specialty restraunts were announced!

Most recently rember that Johnny Rockets started as a complementary option!

Just something to think about!

Someone already tried this with EasyCruise in Europe about 9 years ago and it didnt work. Someday in the future, it may happen again, but probably not for a while.

Of course the cruise lines are going to try and make every penny they can, they are a business. And yes, there is a lot less included than there used to be, but go look at the relative price of a cruise 30 years ago. Cruising is much cheaper now than back then.

WOW - well that's what Royal Caribbean say, isn't it!

If you have not seen the brochure with the options try to do so, this looks a natural progression for the company that introduced the dining options that Oasis and Allure have.

Everyone cruises for different reasons, everyone likes different styles of dining, every cruiser has different preferences - it's a good job too, or the world would be very boring.

We will probably not cruise on the Quantum class ships from the UK but will do so at some point from the US or a European port that is not Southampton (not a Southampton issue, a driving one for me).

The dining options look very good and we can't wait to try them for ourselves to see whether or not we like them. When planning a cruise we take account of all the costs involved before committing - so if we choose a restaurant with a covers charge, that is our choice. RCI have not, yet, done away with inclusive eating.

Someone already tried this with EasyCruise in Europe about 9 years ago and it didnt work. Someday in the future, it may happen again, but probably not for a while.

Of course the cruise lines are going to try and make every penny they can, they are a business. And yes, there is a lot less included than there used to be, but go look at the relative price of a cruise 30 years ago. Cruising is much cheaper now than back then.

Easy Cruise was a a low budget cruise where you paid for a cabin and then paid for everything else as you went along from what I Know, Easy cruise ships overnight in most ports to allow people to eat ashore.

These where the party ships of the Med to start then the Caribbean as you say did not last very long. UK tv did a programme called Cruise With Stellos and as I remember everything was orange.

I wanted to say something pithy and funny about this post, but sadly I assume this is an early April 1st joke.

I respect your comments and your right to make them.....

It seems as though many posts fall within 2 categories; 1. those complaining about increased options and/or dislike and 2. those complaining about others complaints.

RCL is exploring and providing new options for its current, loyal cruisers and attempting to attract adventurous, new cruisers with non-traditional cruising aspects. Those who have avoided cruising may be attracted by new amenities never before seen, or a break from long-standing cruise aspects that were not appealing to some. Loyal cruisers may scoff at the idea of a breakaway from the status quo in terms of dining and entertainment and may getaway to alternative ships and/or vacation providers. Others may bask in the radiance of a new experience and be allured by an oasis that provides a quantum leap from tradition.

I hope this post is not interpreted to be a complaint about those complaining about other's complaints....;)

Edited by mbjboyle

I have seen many RC loyalist knocking NCL for the longest time because of the Freestyle Dining concepts and multi-venue eateries.

Now that RC is copying NCL with that format, it suddenly becomes "Amazing"...

Exactly! For every poster being a "snob" and complaining about some of the changes being made by RCI you have one (at least) who is drinking the RCI kool-aid from their customized glass with a gleaming likeness of Adam Goldstien (or whatever his name is).

And yes, there is a lot less included than there used to be, but go look at the relative price of a cruise 30 years ago. Cruising is much cheaper now than back then.

Is there really less included food wise than there use to be though? I heard horror stories of main dining room only or room service and if you were over 10 minutes late to dinner you were out of luck.

I would not like that.

This will be fleet wide and the MDR will either disappear or will have a nightly charge!

Rember the outrage when the first specialty restraunts were announced!

Most recently rember that Johnny Rockets started as a complementary option!

Just something to think about!

I understand that we're all just speculating, so those who disagree, so be it. But I happen to agree with this post. I think its all very carefully orchestrated, in small steps that the customers will accept - but I think the "end game" is exactly that. Virtually ALL dining AND entertainment to eventually be "for fee." In addition to Johnny Rockets, now Cafe Promenade is converting to an upcharged venue.

Here's what I posted on another thread:

I think this is a very strategic move for RCI, the primary reason for which is being not noticed, they hope. I believe there are 18 dining venues as a part of this program on Quantum. Only 4 of the 18 are no-upcharge venues, leaving the other 14 for cruisers to pay additional for (I'm including the suites-only venue in the "pay additional for list.) Those 14 include Cafe Promenade, which has been a free venue until this point.

I predicted a while ago that the rise of the "specialty restaurants" with ever-escalating upcharges was a subtle step 1 in the cruise lines move away from a "food all inclusive" model. Additionally, there is a growing list of "for a fee" entertainment options. "Dynamic dining" is a huge step 2 on this path. They're eliminating entirely the concept of the "main dining room" and moving to an "all specialty" model. So as to not rock the boat TOO much, 4 of those specialty restaurants will still be "free" with your cruise, but the large majority - including previously free venues - will require an upcharge.

I think in another 10 years, give or take - we'll see the time when the "cruise price" buys you nothing more than your cabin - just like a land-based hotel. All food, all entertainment will end up being additional cost above that. Personally, I don't like that direction at all.

I understand that we're all just speculating, so those who disagree, so be it. But I happen to agree with this post. I think its all very carefully orchestrated, in small steps that the customers will accept - but I think the "end game" is exactly that. Virtually ALL dining AND entertainment to eventually be "for fee." In addition to Johnny Rockets, now Cafe Promenade is converting to an upcharged venue.

Here's what I posted on another thread:

I've seen more than one person mention Sorrento's and/or Cafe Promenade becoming an upcharge venue, but both venues are clearly marked as "COMPLIMENTARY" on the Quantum dining website.

Edited by mattwright

but I think the "end game" is exactly that. Virtually ALL dining AND entertainment to eventually be "for fee."

I would not like it either but I just dont see it happening. If it does, my cruising days are OVER! I cant imagine Im alone in that thinking either. The inclusions are what seperate a cruise from a regular land based vacation at Disney or elsewhere.

I would never cruise on this ship or any ship that offers this dining plan. Suite guests and formal attire would get the best meals and the rest of us would get comfort food like meatloaf and mac & cheese or Chinese food. This promotes the return of the classes type cruising.

Of the five complimentary, full-service restaurants, the 128-seat Mediterranean/California-influenced Coastal Kitchen will be for guests in suite accommodations only. Another, The Grande, designed as a nod to classic European ocean liners, will require formal attire nightly.

The other complimentary eateries are the American Icon Grill, serving comfort food; Chic, where a contemporary menu includes a focus on proteins; and the Pan-Asian Silk

Patsfan78.... take a look at the menu's on the Quantum website then come back and give us your thoughts? Reading this, I don't think you've seen the menus.

It seems as though many posts fall within 2 categories; 1. those complaining about increased options and/or dislike and 2. those complaining about others complaints.

RCL is exploring and providing new options for its current, loyal cruisers and attempting to attract adventurous, new cruisers with non-traditional cruising aspects. Those who have avoided cruising may be attracted by new amenities never before seen, or a break from long-standing cruise aspects that were not appealing to some. Loyal cruisers may scoff at the idea of a breakaway from the status quo in terms of dining and entertainment and may getaway to alternative ships and/or vacation providers. Others may bask in the radiance of a new experience and be allured by an oasis that provides a quantum leap from tradition.

I hope this post is not interpreted to be a complaint about those complaining about other's complaints....;)

LOVE LOVE THIS!! I hope folks were able to "catch" your cruise line comparisons. ;)

The menu's are all available on the RCI site.

Yes, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/american-icon-grill/

And that doesn't look anything like the Cracker Barrel "comfort food" menu to me. ;)

No, it's not. Read the press release or go to the Royal website. Cafe Promenade will continue to be included at no extra charge.

I love RCI! I don't love every single thing, but for the most part I love the company, I love the ships, and I love the experiences I've had on board.

That being said, I'm a bit sick of seeing all the "Royal Caribbean you disappointed me" with regards to the new dining options announced yesterday.

You know what, Royal took a chance on something new and fresh, and the ship in its entirety is going to be absolutely amazing. Dining will be different than before, but so what, its a new ship and a new concept. If you're not willing to "GET OUT THERE" Royals slogan, and try something new, then maybe you should turn in your seapass card and go buck with Norwegian.

This ship is going to be STUNNING, you're hesitant, fine... try it first then critique.

Lets talk about how excited we are about ALL OF THE NEW DINING CHOICES ON QUANTUM INSTEAD.

Wow ... so if we enjoy traditional dining in a MDR as opposed to every night/every dining room being a form of MTD we're now to be considered "snobs"?????

I understand that there are many who are excited (and that's cool with me)about the new stuff but based on what I've seen on ships, there are as many who do like traditional dining. Not sure that makes us hesitant. We like what we like as much as you like what you like :)

For years, thousands of us have supported cruise lines - often filling ships of the line during the off-season of the younger crowd RCCL looks to attract. If there are changes fine but we'd hope RCCL would not turn it's back on us and will continue to have ships in the fleet that do accommodate the traditional diners among us.

And there will be the "snobs" who will say the dining options are not enough for them.

In my opinion I would rather have 18 dining options as announced by Mr.Goldstein than have 2 options. If i don't like one option I can move along to the next.