Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 3)

Host Kat

I just found this thread and don't have time to look at many pages, but it looks like folks are wearing short and long dresses. We will be taking a cruise next year and it will be the first formal night for us. I have several floor length gown that I am thinking about....can anyone tell me if folks do wear floor length gowns? We will be on RCCL.

There is usually some long, mostly short and a few OMG that barely covers her butt on all our cruises.

I worn long only once because it was the only one I had at the time and I try to pack smart saving weight and space to fly to ports.

My DH and DS will be renting tuxes. Luckily, we are driving, not flying to the port, so I don't have to worry about packing light.:D

Thanks for the comments. I think I will pack one of my floor lengths since I won't wear them any other time.

Wow! 35$??? you really scored! I never seem to find dresses at Ross, do find accessories at times...

Believe it or not I have her beat. My mom found maxi dresses with sequins and embroidery at a thrift store and estimated they were about $10 each. It is impossible to tell they are not new dresses. One of them needs to be altered, not because of a fitting issue but because the top of three skirt layers is a weird material that looks better at the prom than a cruise ship's dining room. It is not a problem at all though because the dress is so cheap she can afford alterations by a professional.

Mom got a great idea for repurposing the fabric: Christmas decorations! It is all red, perfect for the holidays.

Unfortunately because of a weight restriction on the floatplane that will take me and Mom from Vancouver to Victoria after the cruise, I can only pack one dress. I was upset about that because Mom bought two dresses for each of us thinking we would both wear different dresses on the two formal nights. :(

After realizing she can't pack either of her fancy dresses because of the flight to Victoria, Mom went back to the thrift store and bought something I can't find at all on the Internet: a silk top totally covered with sequins in a colorful pattern. I could not believe how lucky she was to find one with sleeves. She also bought a pair of lightweight black pants there that are made of a dressy material to wear with it. That is the one good thing about being limited to 25 pounds of luggage.

This will be the first time we pose for formal pictures because we never had any tops or dresses with sequins before, thanks to the high prices of new ones. This is one of the reasons I am super excited about taking the cruise in 90 days.

Unfortunately because of a weight restriction on the floatplane that will take me and Mom from Vancouver to Victoria after the cruise, I can only pack one dress. I was upset about that because Mom bought two dresses for each of us thinking we would both wear different dresses on the two formal nights. :(

After realizing she can't pack either of her fancy dresses because of the flight to Victoria, Mom went back to the thrift store and bought something I can't find at all on the Internet: a silk top totally covered with sequins in a colorful pattern. I could not believe how lucky she was to find one with sleeves. She also bought a pair of lightweight black pants there that are made of a dressy material to wear with it. That is the one good thing about being limited to 25 pounds of luggage.

This will be the first time we pose for formal pictures because we never had any tops or dresses with sequins before, thanks to the high prices of new ones. This is one of the reasons I am super excited about taking the cruise in 90 days.

Will you be doing the float plane back to Vancouver? Are there lockers you can rent at the cruise port to leave behind some of your things to pick up on the return trip? I walk by the cruise port in Vancouver a couple of times per week most weeks I could look and see if there are lockers if the plan to is bring a float plane back to Vancouver from Victoria.

Will you be doing the float plane back to Vancouver? Are there lockers you can rent at the cruise port to leave behind some of your things to pick up on the return trip? I walk by the cruise port in Vancouver a couple of times per week most weeks I could look and see if there are lockers if the plan to is bring a float plane back to Vancouver from Victoria.

No, I will fly home from Victoria, so we can't use lockers at the cruise port.

However, flying in a floatplane instead of a helicopter is worth it. Floatplanes do not seem to exist anywhere else since I had never heard of them before, so I'm thinking of it as part of the Alaskan experience even though we'll be in Canada.

No, I will fly home from Victoria, so we can't use lockers at the cruise port.

However, flying in a floatplane instead of a helicopter is worth it. Floatplanes do not seem to exist anywhere else since I had never heard of them before, so I'm thinking of it as part of the Alaskan experience even though we'll be in Canada.

We have lots of floatplanes in Maine :) Jan

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r-m-richards-open-back-ruched-gown?ID=2212875&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DR & M Richards%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D43%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D26

I got this one in black at Marshall's this week for less than half the Macy's price. I like the blue color shown, but they only had black. I like it because it's lightweight and will save me some luggage weight. I'm only 5'2" and don't need to hem it as long as I wear my high platform dress shoes. It has a nice ruffle of fabric cascading down one side, and the lace shoulders are a little sparkly. It's cut large and is stretchy. I'm bringing it to Europe next month. :)

Hello ladies,

There is sale at Nieman Marucs.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/etemplate/ef1.jsp?eId=e2100001&N=4294907201&from=eventdi&rd=1&icid=home0a_SpreeSale_050415

Just brought these two.

I am off to Las Vegas.

Have a great day everyone :-)

M

They will look beautiful on you. I especially like the green one. Well, of course I'm a Wicked musical fan so I love green dresses!

I think I just read through about 22 pages to get caught up in this thread! SO many great dresses! My philosophy: if you love it, feel great in it, and it's appropriate to the occasion just wear it no matter your size or age!

Marie, I would love to see what your closet looks like! You have some fabulous dresses, accessories, and shoes! WOW!

CruisingGatorGirl, your silver beaded dress is to die for! It is now officially on my dress wish list.

I am heading out in a bit to attack the stores! Trying to find a great dress for my trip next weekend on the Grand to Alaska and hoping to find a steal for formal night. :) Thankfully, I have backups just in case the perfect dress isn't to be found.

If you are shopping with me today, may the shopping odds be in your favor!

Welcome to the thread..it's much fun and very helpful...Good luck with your dress quest:) As for me, I'll be doing some shoe shopping which can often be a challenge:D

Michelle

I think I just read through about 22 pages to get caught up in this thread! SO many great dresses! My philosophy: if you love it, feel great in it, and it's appropriate to the occasion just wear it no matter your size or age!

Marie, I would love to see what your closet looks like! You have some fabulous dresses, accessories, and shoes! WOW!

CruisingGatorGirl, your silver beaded dress is to die for! It is now officially on my dress wish list.

I am heading out in a bit to attack the stores! Trying to find a great dress for my trip next weekend on the Grand to Alaska and hoping to find a steal for formal night. :) Thankfully, I have backups just in case the perfect dress isn't to be found.

If you are shopping with me today, may the shopping odds be in your favor!

Welcome to the thread. It's much fun and very helpful. Good luck with your dress quest. :) As for me, I'll be doing some shoe shopping which can often be a challenge. :D

Dress shoes are the hardest things to buy. I got very lucky with my current pair because they were online exclusives a previous customer returned to the store. The shoes I wore at my sister's wedding caused me to suffer an abscess on one heel, forcing me to sit through the whole reception barefoot. That confirmed my assumption black dress shoes for my bad feet do not exist until I tried on Naots that were not even supposed to be at the store.

Even those shoes are not perfect. For a while my hammertoes hurt when I wore them. It could be a long time before I finally find a hammertoes-friendly pair.

Welcome to the thread..it's much fun and very helpful...Good luck with your dress quest:) As for me, I'll be doing some shoe shopping which can often be a challenge:D

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! Well, after seven hours (!) of shopping, I didn't find a dress I loved so this trip will be repeats. I did buy a ton of other clothing though. And discovered the store Daiso which charges $1.50 for everything and has a great selection of travel bottles and other goodies good for cruising.

Regarding shoes, the shoes I took with me last cruise for formal night were so uncomfortable I left them onboard. There is such a difference in walking around for 10 seconds in the store vs. wobbling around for a few hours on a moving ship! Also, I never go anywhere in new or even infrequently worn shoes without strips of moleskin in my bag. It is a lifesaver when those new shoes start rubbing in spots you didn't expect.

Edited by clickchick

Sorry you didn't find a dress:(but at least you didn't go completely empty handed:) I actually could'nt go shoe shopping yesterday but hope to go today!

I bought a pair of Audrey Brooke black satin dress heels for my daughter's wedding in 2008 and absolutely love them! Even with a 3in heel, they are comfortable enough for walking and even dancing! That brand seems to suit my wideish foot!

I looked at your blog and it's very well done! I bookmarked it so I can read more of it later:)

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! Well, after seven hours (!) of shopping, I didn't find a dress I loved so this trip will be repeats. I did buy a ton of other clothing though. And discovered the store Daiso which charges $1.50 for everything and has a great selection of travel bottles and other goodies good for cruising.

Regarding shoes, the shoes I took with me last cruise for formal night were so uncomfortable I left them onboard. There is such a difference in walking around for 10 seconds in the store vs. wobbling around for a few hours on a moving ship! Also, I never go anywhere in new or even infrequently worn shoes without strips of moleskin in my bag. It is a lifesaver when those new shoes start rubbing in spots you didn't expect.

Yes! I had a pair of Nine West basic black heels with a 3" heel that I wore until they about fell apart. So comfy! Oddly, the pair I left onboard last cruise were Nine West as well, but not nearly as comfortable.

And thank you for your compliments and looking at my blog! I started it in February after we were on our last cruise as a way to help me get over my post-cruise funk. :) I love making lists and writing so it seemed like a natural thing.

Sorry you didn't find a dress:(but at least you didn't go completely empty handed:) I actually could'nt go shoe shopping yesterday but hope to go today!

I bought a pair of Audrey Brooke black satin dress heels for my daughter's wedding in 2008 and absolutely love them! Even with a 3in heel, they are comfortable enough for walking and even dancing! That brand seems to suit my wideish foot!

I looked at your blog and it's very well done! I bookmarked it so I can read more of it later:)

Michelle

Sharon, that is a pretty dress! Would love it in either colour.

Great that it travels easily too.

Thank you so much Cruzisme!:)

PrincessMich, I have a feeling that Marie's dress closet is larger than my master bedroom! :D

Oh! And I should probably post photos of the dresses I am wearing on our upcoming cruise! :)

This one is from about 5 years ago, but I've only worn it once and it's super comfy! It's a size or so too big, but it fits well enough. :) And, there weren't any photos of me from that trip in it so figured it was time to recycle it! It was from Newport News which I just learned is now going to be exclusively available on cruise lines!

lace-sheath-dress-m.jpg?itok=jkpELVy2

Dress #2! I find any Calvin Klein dress fits like a dream and I can order online with no fit issues no matter the style. I bought this one a few years ago on eBay for $15! It has never been worn (still has the tags) so it's coming along this time! And this is clearly not me wearing it. :) Sorry about the massive photo!

Calvin-Klein-Black-Satin-Sheath-Dress.jpg

Edited by clickchick

disneynan: For some reason, I can't figure out how to do a PM. It's either too early or I already have vacation brain. :) My link is in my sig file, though!

Thanks, I will check it out when I get home from work!

Thanks, I will check it out when I get home from work!

The Private Messaging function does not work on here....it has never

been activated by Cruise Critic.

disneynan: For some reason, I can't figure out how to do a PM. It's either too early or I already have vacation brain. :) My link is in my sig file, though!

Private Messaging is not activated on here....never has been available

on CC.