How to avoid jet lag?

Sailing on the Radiance of the Seas on April 27, 2014. Flying from Boston to Chicago and then Chicago to Honolulu. It's a 10 hour 41 minutes flight. Any suggestions to help stay a awake for the 10 p.m. sailing which will be 4 a.m. my time?

Thanks,

Mary Anne

We flew to Honolulu from the east coast a few years ago. We've flown to Europe, but this was the most painful jet lag of all because they don't honor daylight savings and the time difference. We were so exhausted and sleep deprived that we ended up eating early and collapsing in bed, only to wake in the middle of the night. While staying up works for many, for us it didn't work. When we arrive, we freshen up, get settled at the hotel and go out to eat a bite...depending on the time of day, it could be a light meal or a full-blown lunch or dinner. We take a short nap of 1-2 hours..no more, but enough to satisfy that overwhelming feeling. We wake and freshen a bit and are able to enjoy our first night. We still go to bed early but we aren't awake in the middle of the night and we're ready to go the next morning.

We use to fly long haul a lot and found it was always a good idea to set your watch ahead to your destination's local time when you board the flight and to stay well hydrated during the flight. We used to try and sleep on the aircraft too, just so our bodies had some rest albeit out of our normal sleep pattern.

Everyone has jet lag differently I'm sure, but that's what worked for us.

You have three things going for you:

1. For whatever reason I've always found traveling west seems easier on the jet lag.

2. You are going on vacation and adrenaline should help keep you awake.

3. Jet lag doesn't really kick in for most people until a day or two after you arrive.

Coming back is another story.

I tend to have a terrible time sleeping on planes, and as a consultant who travels frequently I speak from much experience. Not for me, but for some, you can take a mild sedative or antihistamine on the plane to help you sleep. You could also try rearranging your hours somewhat in advance of your trip to compensate for the time change. Good luck.

I find just the opposite! East to West KILLS me! And, the "lag" hits me right away! We did this trip...and by 8pm I was dead....I HAD to go to bed! But, I was up at 4am, brighteyed and bushy-tailed!

If there is any early morning excursion you want to do, like a volcanoe at sunrise, the 1st morning is the time to do it!

We flew to Honolulu from the east coast a few years ago. We've flown to Europe, but this was the most painful jet lag of all because they don't honor daylight savings and the time difference. We were so exhausted and sleep deprived that we ended up eating early and collapsing in bed, only to wake in the middle of the night. While staying up works for many, for us it didn't work. When we arrive, we freshen up, get settled at the hotel and go out to eat a bite...depending on the time of day, it could be a light meal or a full-blown lunch or dinner. We take a short nap of 1-2 hours..no more, but enough to satisfy that overwhelming feeling. We wake and freshen a bit and are able to enjoy our first night. We still go to bed early but we aren't awake in the middle of the night and we're ready to go the next morning.

You make it sound like a coupon for a free sandwich ;)

Almost all of Europe does, in fact, "honor" daylight savings time. It's just not necesarilly on the same exact date as the US. For example, the US does DST on the second Sunday of March, but Europe mostly (all?) does it the last Sunday of March. Brazil does theirs in October. Same with Australia. New Zealand is, I believe, in September.

So many places, including Europe, DO follow daylight savings...but it's just not necesarilly at the exact same time.

Sailing on the Radiance of the Seas on April 27, 2014. Flying from Boston to Chicago and then Chicago to Honolulu. It's a 10 hour 41 minutes flight. Any suggestions to help stay a awake for the 10 p.m. sailing which will be 4 a.m. my time?

Thanks,

Mary Anne

Sorry but I'm still laughing about your "10 hour 41 minutes flight. I can do this because I'm leaving from Orlando, FL (MCO) 5pm Flying to Los Angles (LAX) then to Auckland (AKL) then Sydney (SYD) arriving 10:30 am 2 days later Due to crossing date line.:eek: 27 hour 55 minute flight. Edited by FLACRUISER99

We flew to Hawaii from NY last year and we slept a few hours on the flight there and had no problem at all adjusting to the time difference. We stayed up until 10 the first night but I'm sure with the excitement you won't have a problem, enjoy!!

You make it sound like a coupon for a free sandwich ;)

Almost all of Europe does, in fact, "honor" daylight savings time. It's just not necesarilly on the same exact date as the US. For example, the US does DST on the second Sunday of March, but Europe mostly (all?) does it the last Sunday of March. Brazil does theirs in October. Same with Australia. New Zealand is, I believe, in September.

So many places, including Europe, DO follow daylight savings...but it's just not necesarilly at the exact same time.

The OP was referring to Hawaii not honoring daylight savings time and the flight from the east coast to Hawaii was very long. The reference to Europe was that it was easier and had less jet lag than flying to Hawaii.

Are you flying the day of the cruise? The day before? What time do you leave the east coast? Land in Hnl?

Typically I book my flights for long travel as red eye flights so I don't have to worry about jet lag. Just sleep on the plane and arrive to your destination in the morning when you wake up. That has helped a ton when I have gone to the South Pacific. If you're going the day before it won't be a issue as you will have time to recover and relax on the island. If going the day your ship departs that will be more challenging. If it was me the day before I was to fly out I would try to adjust my sleeping by staying up late(Maybe all night so I can crash on the plane) or going to bed early to make up the difference. In the end my choice is always to suffer with out sleep and be exhausted at home vs. on vacation.

Here is what I would do.

The night before you leave go to bed at 8 PM and wake up at 4 AM. Then nap off and on during the flight. When you arrive Hawaii go outside and get some sun, enjoy your meals at the normal time Hawaiian time. Don't think about what time is it back home.

The same goes for the return sleep on the plane and eat at local meal times, get exercise and enjoy the day.

I fly on overseas flights and I never think what time it is back home. If the clock says 8 AM I'm eating breakfast even if its 3 AM back home. I go out and enjoy the sun and walk.

I try to build in layovers on my flights and use that to help adjust.

For instance this year I'm going to Brazil to take a TransAtlantic Cruise to Barcelona. My Father and I have a day layover in Mexico City which is 2 hours time difference from the West Coast and 2 hours time difference to Brazil. We are going to spend the day taking a 5 hour guided tour and then go to the United Airline Lounge before our flight.

We have a red-eye flight from San Francisco that leaves at midnight. So what I do is in the afternoon before the red-eye I will sleep for 1-2 hours and then sleep on the plane . I've done a redeye to New York and did this and it really helped me to adjust to New York's time as I arrived at 6 AM and just started the day and not even think that it was 3 AM at home.

We then leave Mexico City at 7:40 PM so I will stay up for 2 hours which will be 9:40 PM in Sao Paulo and sleep and wake up around 90 minutes before landing and begin the day in Sao Paulo at 7 PM.

Too many people look at their watches and think about what time it is at home. Or they go to sleep for a long time. If I'm tired I set an alarm for 45 minutes and take a "Cat nap".

When I arrive I take a bath or shower as hot as I can tolerate it (5 minutes for every time zone traveled) and it really works to get over the jetlag. Also having Saline Spray helps keep your nose moist.

Eat a healthy diet like Kefir Greek Yogurt in the days before your trip. Don't overeat on the plane.

Bring some fruit, nuts etc for the plane trip. Try not to drink lots of caffine. Drink lots of water and get up every hour and walk up and down the aisle. Do some stretching and foot exercises(circle the foot in one direction 10 reps then the other,point and flex).

Wear comfortable clothing such as Yoga Pants and bring along a mini toothpaste and toothbrush to brush your teeth, eyeshades, earplugs, your own headphones(I love Noise Cancelling ones) and if you have airline socks from a previous airline trip I wear these and take my shoes off when I sleep. I never walk barefoot on the plane or just in my socks I put my shoes on when I want to get up and walk.

Skip the movies and put on the relaxing music channel. You can get one glass of Red Wine or other alcohol as it can help you sleep along with a Sleeping Pill if you need. No Jetlag is a natural melatonin that you can get at your health food store or Trader Joes.

Take Airborne or EmergenC a few days before and onboard the plane. Don't drink any water that is not bottled, skip the coffee on the plane as the water may not be filtered.

Have a good trip.

Edited by travelplus

Keep hydrated on flight

Avoid alcohol

Wear comfy clothes

Watch some movie or tv

Try to relax

10 hour flight not that long. Enough time for Drink, Food, Movie, Snooze, Snack, Movie, Food, Landing soon.

When we flew to Hawaii a few years ago I reset my watch each time the pilot told us we were crossing a time zone so my body kept up with my watch. I never had any Jet Lag. I will try that again in Sept. when we fly to Vancouver and then sail to Hawaii. Will be different when we fly home from Honlulu