First Ever Cruise - Explorer of the Seas

Hi folks.

for our 25th anniversary, my wife and I decided to try something different so we booked a 9 night cruise on EotS leaving from New York in May.

We have booked excursions already at each destination, and we seem to have all the paperwork required for the cruise itself.

I would be extremely grateful if folks could give us some tips/stuff to try/stuff to look out for whilst on this cruise. We have no idea of dress codes, those activities on board to pass cruising time etc. anything else we need to know on board?

Also, for a Caribbean Cruise, are inoculations required or just recommended?

We have paid our tips up front but does this mean we will feel 'awkward' on board when not tipping? Also, if we did decide to leave a server some extra, can we just give them dollars cash?

So many questions!

Congrats on booking one of our favorite ships.....just make sure you come to NEW JERSEY...not NY.....lol

No immunizations necessary

Great shows...great food...

Tipping.....no further tipping necessary unless you want to. You will NOT feel funny giving nothing further, as the staff has record of you pre-paying.

Your tips are prepaid, but....there are a few situations where tipping is not already covered.

1) Room Service (except 12 am-5 am when there is a $4.95 charge. Folks talk about $1-2 for a small order and $5 for a full meal.

2) Porters at the dock - $1-2/bag

3) Excursion guides - I'd say $5-10/pp depending on the cost of the excursion and the amount of participation by your "guide".

Tip is added to all bar service drinks, so no problem there.

Absolutely no need to carry money around on the ship. Lock it all up in your safe.

Tell us more about your precruise plans. What airport are you flying into? What hotel are you booked into? How are you getting to the port?

What ports are you going to what and excursions have you booked? All ports take US dollars. In any of your ports you will get much better value if you book private excursions.

When your cruise docs become available, READ them! You don't have to print them all, but there is lots of info in the docs....if you have the cruise brochure, it will have the same info....all about dress, tips, and anything else that is cruise specific.

In general, days are ultra casual...shorts/tees, etc....for dinner, long pants and collared shirt for men. Women are fine in capris/cropped pants, or skirts, sundresses, etc... If you do the "formal" nights, you'll want a suit for hubby and a cocktail dress for you. You could go as far as tux and gown!

No..you won't feel "awkward"....your tips are paid, and they know it!

for our 25th anniversary, my wife and I decided to try something different so we booked a 9 night cruise on EotS leaving from New York in May.

Explorer of the Seas was our first ever cruise too, sailing from Bayonne NJ. Since then we've been on several other Royal ships. We loved it so much and have very fond memories.

Which ports are you sailing to?

I would be extremely grateful if folks could give us some tips/stuff to try/stuff to look out for whilst on this cruise. We have no idea of dress codes, those activities on board to pass cruising time etc. anything else we need to know on board? Your "Cruise Compass" will note dress suggestions, but feel free to dress however you please. This daily paper will additionally list all onboard activities for each day as well as event time and location.

If you would like to see my video of an Explorer of the Seas 9-Night cruise, click on my YouTube link below...

Also, for a Caribbean Cruise, are inoculations required or just recommended? No need to worry.

We have paid our tips up front but does this mean we will feel 'awkward' on board when not tipping? Nope

Also, if we did decide to leave a server some extra, can we just give them dollars cash? I'm pretty sure that they won't compain:)

So many questions!

Have a great time and enjoy your cruise vacation!!!

Edited by mbjboyle

We have been on Explorer 8 times and love that ship. As others have said its in Cape Liberty Bayonne, much easier than NYC for us. Try the Beers around the world if you have time. The Cafe promenade has pizza and sandwiches 24 hours a day, like there is a lack of food on cruises! :D The ship is getting old but is still great! First time we did it we were concerned, the parking is in abandoned docks Saproano's anyone? Also don't forget Johnny Rockets, always a fun time for lunch. Washy Washy!

And speaking of dining, since I expect your cruise itinerary includes several sea days, know that you can have a sit-down (served) lunch in the main dining room on sea days. There will be a small menu to order from, as well as an extensive salad buffet (the famous "tutti" salad bar), and a few other hot dishes and hors d'oeuvres on the buffet. The tutti salad bar is delightful. You get in line and specify to the chefs what types of lettuces, vegetables, meats, cheeses, etc., you would like, and they toss it all in a bowl with your choice of dressing.

Another tip for Explorer and ships of her class is that the locker rooms in the fitness center have steam rooms and saunas at no extra charge, and full-size showers. Often, husbands will shave and shower there before dinner, leaving the bathroom in their cabin free for the wife to use.

Indoor hot tub in the fitness center in case of cool/bad weather.

Make a point to find the helipad, the Viking Crown Lounge (Dizzy's), the peekaboo bridge, and the mini golf/sports court/rock climbing wall.

Sit down breakfast in the MDR.

Ice show is a must.

For late light adult fun (about 10:30 pm), don't miss the Quest.

STOP, Don't do it. Cancel immediately! Your life will never be the same. My wife and I made a similar mistake back in 2008 and now we can't stop cruising. We are booked on the EOS for the end of September and it will be our 10th cruise (First with RC). We need help! It has changed our life for ever :D......... for the good!

You will make lots of memories. Have a great cruise! :)

Hi folks.

We have booked excursions already at each destination, and we seem to have all the paperwork required for the cruise itself.

I would be extremely grateful if folks could give us some tips/stuff to try/stuff to look out for whilst on this cruise. We have no idea of dress codes, those activities on board to pass cruising time etc. anything else we need to know on board?

Also, for a Caribbean Cruise, are inoculations required or just recommended?

We have paid our tips up front but does this mean we will feel 'awkward' on board when not tipping? Also, if we did decide to leave a server some extra, can we just give them dollars cash?

So many questions!

If you haven't already done it go and find your roll call here on Cruise Critic. You will meet others that you will be cruising with who can give you detailed information about their plans...

Also, during sail away either go up front on the helipad or as high as you can on the ship as the ship goes directly under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (links Staten Island and Brooklyn) and only clears it by a few feet...

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to return here to Cruisers Anonymous to discuss your addiction after you return !!!

Steve

STOP, Don't do it. Cancel immediately! Your life will never be the same. My wife and I made a similar mistake back in 2008 and now we can't stop cruising. We are booked on the EOS for the end of September and it will be our 10th cruise (First with RC). We need help! It has changed our life for ever :D......... for the good!

You will make lots of memories. Have a great cruise! :)

Lighthouse30. End of September? The 20th per chance? My dh and I junst booked the 20th. Would love to chat with others prior to. Going.

Wow!

thanks for so many replies with useful information.

We fly from Edinburgh via London to Newark arriving around 11pm local time. Staying at the Springhill Suites by the airport and cruising out of Bayonne at 4pm the next day. I assume the hotel can arrange a cab for us down to the terminal.

Ports of call and our excursions are -

Bermuda - Shopping Trip & Sightseeing

St Maarten - Anguilla Dolphin Encounter & Beach

Puerto Rico - Rainforest Walk to Waterfall

Haiti - Sandbar Island Getaway

Given its our first time we played safe and went with RC excursions.

I think this is the perfect sized ship for your first cruise. Big enough to explore, and small enough not to feel overwhelming.

Agree on Dizzy's; go for an evening drink, and enjoy the view of the ship at night.

We always take 50.00 in small bills for extra tipping staff, or tour guides. Will throw in an extra dollar when we get drinks at shows, etc. We also will tip for room service.

Bring a sweater, or a cardigan, I find the ships always tend to be on the cool side, and it will likely be windy at night.

We love the solarium, very peaceful way to relax, especially on sea days.

Activities will vary from the silly (belly flop contest), to quizzes. People here reccomend bringing a highliter to go through the activities for each day. There is a small library, and lots of bars/lounges where you can just sit and relax. There are also paid activities, like bingo. Every night they will have a main show that is timed around your dinner hour.

Dress- I like to dress up because I don't get to wear my fancy clothes every day. I would say work-causual seems to be a good way to go for the evening, and you can get dressed up more for fancy dress nights. There's always photographers who will take your photo (photos are usually pricey, but we will pay if there's a good pic).

The best part of cruising is that there's always something going on that you can't do at home. Even if you are reading by the pool, you don't get that experience reading on your couch. Go with an open mind, and have fun!

Don't miss the ice show (fabulous) and production shows.

For a nice quiet place to watch everything, try the Viking Crown Lounge where you can sit over a glass of wine and watch activities below and the water beyond!

In addition to the great suggestions you received from the previous posters I have a few more. There is a section in the Windjammer(buffet - deck 11) called Jade. You'll find a selection of Asian and sometimes other international foods(Indian etc.) at that Kiosk. Also in the Windjammer, you do not have to get in the first line. The food selection is repeated several times so if it is crowded, walk past the crowds and go to the 2nd or third set of plates and utensils and start there.

If you chose to tip extra, you do not have to use US currency. The staff will be happy to accept any currency.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by lakelorain

Love EX. Favorites are night time activities. 10:30 pm so be prepared to stay up those nights. 1 . 70's Street Party..casual. Get a seat early in the promenade in view of the overhead bridge or stand in front of jewelry store. Just a lot of fun to watch. Maybe 45 minutes total.

2 . Quest, 10:30 pm next to last night in the ice rink. Go early, bring a sweater, dress casual even though it may be a formal night. You can just watch and laugh or more fun to get in on the action. It is a fun time and a RC secret.

3 . love and Marriage Show.

Do be outside 20 minutes or so after the ship departs...amazing to go under the Verrazano Bridge. The Statute of Liberty can be seen from deck before you depart. And another picture shot is coming in or leaving Puerto Rico...Castle El Morro.

Walk around decks are 4 and 12 . Fun to watch pool fun from 12.

Johnny Rockets charge is $5 .95 each. Do it for lunch and go inside. A fun surprise awaits.

Ice show time is by your muster station listed on your seapass. Go see it then AND again by wait line another day. It is that GOOD .

Most important....read Cruise Compass before retiring so you can plan the next day. Breakfast times change between sea and port days. Read it all. Enjoy. Vicki

There's a lot of stuff to do while cruising from belly flop contests to the Quest and also your evening shows. Just check out the compass they leave on your bed every night and see what looks interesting to you! Make sure you post a review when you get back being it will be your first cruise it will be nice to see a "new" persons perspective! We are fairly easy to please people so overall have enjoyed our cruises. You will have some things you aren't impressed with but no big deal and some things will blow you away (like seeing the size of the ship the first time you cruise) Just go with an open mind don't expect perfect and you should have fun! We will be headed fro cruise #10 in 2 weeks can't wait!

Wow!

thanks for so many replies with useful information.

We fly from Edinburgh via London to Newark arriving around 11pm local time. Staying at the Springhill Suites by the airport and cruising out of Bayonne at 4pm the next day. I assume the hotel can arrange a cab for us down to the terminal.

Ports of call and our excursions are -

Bermuda - Shopping Trip & Sightseeing

St Maarten - Anguilla Dolphin Encounter & Beach

Puerto Rico - Rainforest Walk to Waterfall

Haiti - Sandbar Island Getaway

Given its our first time we played safe and went with RC excursions.

Springhill Suites is just fine. You are getting in late. To get the free hotel shuttle you have to take your luggage from the lowest level up the elevator to the free Airtrain to go to the P4 station for the shuttle pickup. Your other option is to pay for a cab to the hotel - probably in the $20+ range.

If you want to arrange a car service to the port, contact Dial7, Carmellimo, or Black Executive cars for a quote. It should be in the $50-60 range. A taxi would be about the same amount. Plan to get to the port before noon.

Your excursions sound fine. Labadee Haiti is basically a private island beach day with food provided, so if you want to save some money it is the one port where no excursion is really necessary to enjoy the beach day. You want to take the tram out to the Columbus Beach area.

Hi folks.

Make sure you are outside while going under the Verrazano Bridge with a drink in your hand. This is the starting point to your trip! Enjoy!