Taking food off the ship

woldridge

We just returned for an 11 day cruise on the Equinox. While in Cozumel we saw something we had never seen before. All bags (including purses) were hand search for food. Anything not commercially packaged was tossed in a large garbage bag. Beside the usual fruit, I saw children snacks (such as crackers and cheerios in baggies) dumped. The daily program forewarned about this, but this was the first time I have actually seen it done in the Caribbean. If you need to take food with you, make sure it is unopened in its original packaging. Pleading "my child needs that" fell on deaf ears.

Barb

That's weird. I have never seen them do a search as you get off the ship. I have only seen them do it getting back on (which is totally understandable why they don't want you bringing food back on).

We always take a box (unopened) of the mini fruit loops cereal with us for our little one to munch on during the day. So you're saying that they are taking those as well?

That's weird. I have never seen them do a search as you get off the ship. I have only seen them do it getting back on (which is totally understandable why they don't want you bringing food back on).

We always take a box (unopened) of the mini fruit loops cereal with us for our little one to munch on during the day. So you're saying that they are taking those as well?

If the cereal is in an unopened box I think you will be fine. I have been on cruises all over the world and have not actually seen them go through the bags. I have seen dogs used to sniff passengers and bags as they got off the ship, but these were actual people who had a table set up along with a BIG garbage can. If you had the food in a pocket you probably would be fine...it was just bags they were checking.

Barb

If the cereal is in an unopened box I think you will be fine. If you had the food in a pocket you probably would be fine...it was just bags they were checking.

Barb

They have no problem with food sealed in the original container. It is the fruits, vegies and meats that they don't want brought in because of invasive insects, plants and diseases that could decimate the eco system. When you smuggle that apple or banana off of the ship you are breaking ship rule and local custom laws.

If the cereal is in an unopened box I think you will be fine. I have been on cruises all over the world and have not actually seen them go through the bags. I have seen dogs used to sniff passengers and bags as they got off the ship, but these were actual people who had a table set up along with a BIG garbage can. If you had the food in a pocket you probably would be fine...it was just bags they were checking.

Barb

Oh my, I guess they give new meaning to not eating the local food because they are too scared to. :D

We put the cereal box in our bags, so I guess if they was to check, they would find it. I don't think I could put it in my pocket since that would kinda hurt with the pokey edges and all. :p (I leave the entire box intact and don't remove just the plastic with the food in it). Oh and yes, I'm talking about the little small boxes they have in the buffet area.

They have no problem with food sealed in the original container. It is the fruits, vegies and meats that they don't want brought in because of invasive insects, plants and diseases that could decimate the eco system. When you smuggle that apple or banana off of the ship you are breaking ship rule and local custom laws.

Good to hear. I can't imagine taking meats and stuff of the ship. I mean by the time you would want lunch, in the hot Caribbean heat...just plain ewwwww. :o

We were here just last week and the people at the terminal were checking bags as you got off of the pier. I only saw them taking fruits and veggies but honestly if they're deep down in the bag and they didn't look too hard. A woman next to me said she had bananas and when it was her turn they didn't see them so they let her threw. It's a really fast check.

I often wonder if anyone pays any attention to the CD who announces no foods etc. can be taken off the ship.

On the Legend last week, Willie Lee, the CD made the announcement stressing "...or cabbage" can be taken off. It was the talk of the day--why would anyone want to take cabbage off?? :eek:

He got a lot of people's attention!:D

We just returned for an 11 day cruise on the Equinox. While in Cozumel we saw something we had never seen before. All bags (including purses) were hand search for food. Anything not commercially packaged was tossed in a large garbage bag. Beside the usual fruit, I saw children snacks (such as crackers and cheerios in baggies) dumped. The daily program forewarned about this, but this was the first time I have actually seen it done in the Caribbean. If you need to take food with you, make sure it is unopened in its original packaging. Pleading "my child needs that" fell on deaf ears.

Barb

Very timely and very helpful advice - thank you!

:)

They were checking getting off the NCL Dawn last Friday..

We were in a hurry and luckily heading to Nachi, where we needed nothing.

I had only seen the checks coming back aboard, except a couple of ports.

I have no problem with any port protecting themselves from invasive problems.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

<snip>

Actually, HAL does allow food to be brought aboard. We have brought back deli sandwiches, lobster rolls, fruit, flowers and no problem. The problem is taking those things OFF a ship.

We were here just last week and the people at the terminal were checking bags as you got off of the pier. I only saw them taking fruits and veggies but honestly if they're deep down in the bag and they didn't look too hard. A woman next to me said she had bananas and when it was her turn they didn't see them so they let her threw. It's a really fast check.

SHAME on her. She had no business 'sneaking' that banana.

How would she feel if she carried ashore a bug that interfered with the ecosystem; if her selfish attitude of the rules don't apply to her and her banana contained bugs that destroyed some of their agriculture crops?

It would have been very tempting to report her. IMO

Edited by sail7seas