Princess Cruise Vacation Planner vs TA vs Self Book

hoosier_done_it

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner vs. a Travel Agent vs. Self Booking. I'd like to hear your comparisons of two or three of them.
I've never used a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner nor booked directly as I save 10-20% using one of a few high-volume Princess TAs who discount plus I get OBC and perks. Neither the CVP nor booking directly can come close, even if there's fare change... unless Princess is giving the cruise away. Edited by Pam in CA

I won't use a PVP, the turnover is high. I have recieved an email from one 2 weeks ago then last week recieved another email saying the she is no longer in that department. This has happened a couple of times over the last year. I need someone consistant.

I have done all three. Some TA's done minimum work to get a booking. I've always had do my own price checks. Some PVP are plain incompetent. I basically do all the leg work for the cruise before I call anyone.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

You will never pay more with a TA. A good one will give you a discount and/or OBC. Sometimes a high volume TA has group rates that can save you big bucks off the launch fares.

Until you have dealt with a TA enough to really really trust them, you do have to do your own homework. I check out the cruises as soon as they are released and choose the cabin I want, then book it through my TA (or book directly and transfer to TA - works the same). Then I check fares regularly to find sales, and my TA gets me the lower fare (with my same preferred cabin).

I don't know if the TA can get discounts (and especially combinations of discounts) better than I could myself, but she's the one on hold for hours -- I just send her an email and get the results!

I checked three local, four online travel agents and Princess. The cruise price was exactly the same and the inboard credits varied but only slightly. I ended up booking with the TA who took the most time to answer my questions. They did all tell me they have too many clients to monitor for price drops, so I've been checking daily myself.

I checked three local, four online travel agents and Princess. The cruise price was exactly the same and the inboard credits varied but only slightly. I ended up booking with the TA who took the most time to answer my questions. They did all tell me they have too many clients to monitor for price drops, so I've been checking daily myself.

Keep shopping, because the TA price should always be less. But you first have to find those who discount.

Everyone seems to be talking about TA's discounting. That's nice, BUT. . . be sure you are getting good service from your TA. Do they answer your questions fully and promptly. Can you reach them quickly when you have need? Do they offer good advice you never thought of asking for? Are they knowledgeable about the products they are selling?

The real value of a good TA is not the discounts they offer (although those are really nice!) but the services they offer, especially if something goes wrong with your cruise planning or execution. They keep records of what has transpired, what are your options, good upgrades available, and they will go to bat for you with the cruise line if need be.

But find a TA you trust and can work with and stick with them. Your best service comes from a positive mutual relationship, not just running from one aggregator to another for the "best deal."

Edited by TKS

Everyone seems to be talking about TA's discounting. That's nice, BUT. . . be sure you are getting good service from your TA. Do they answer your questions fully and promptly. Can you reach them quickly when you have need? Do they offer good advice you never thought of asking for? Are they knowledgeable about the products they are selling?

The real value of a good TA is not the discounts they offer (although those are really nice!) but the services they offer, especially if something goes wrong with your cruise planning or execution. They keep records of what has transpired, what are your options, good upgrades available, and they will go to bat for you with the cruise line if need be.

But find a TA you trust and can work with and stick with them. Your best service comes from a positive mutual relationship, not just running from one aggregator to another for the "best deal."

For myself, all I care about is the bottom line. How I can get us on a cruise with what we want for the lowest cost.

Anything else, I am comfortable with doing or finding out about myself.

Where I live (Kamloops , BC or Canada) I've never seen a TA discount any cruises . The discounted fares are similiar to sale fares that the cruise lines have at the time with the same perks.

Some TA's have access to software which notifies them of a price drop with the major cruise lines. They don't have to check for each client... the software sends a message and they can then check to make sure your original perks (obc, free gratuities or whatever) won't be offset by the drop. If it's all good, then they can make the change and get you the lower fare. My nephew just got $600 off his original price on an Alaska cruise and that's how he found out -- the TA notified him that he saved the money. Since the drop in price means a drop in TA commission, you have to find a good one who watches out for the client's best interests and who provides excellent service.

I always book directly with the cruise line. We go on a cruise when the prices are deeply discounted directly with the cruiseline. I do like to stay in control of my reservation. This is just what we do. I do check and have called Princess immediately and recd any addl price drops. I realize I may be missing some addl discount or OBC, but I am happy with Princess prices and just what we are most comfortable with. The first Princess cruise actually was booked with a TA and it was the most expensive we did back in 1999. Since then with the internet and immediate pricing we have gotten very good prices, the best being our 14 day Alaska last summer for 629 pp for an obstructed OV.

I won't use a PVP, the turnover is high. I have recieved an email from one 2 weeks ago then last week recieved another email saying the she is no longer in that department. This has happened a couple of times over the last year. I need someone consistant.

I turned down the first PVP because I saw no need for one. Then Princess assigned a new one. But when she asked if my husband was a veteran, I knew we had a problem since his veteran's OBC was already posted to our account. Same with stockholder's OBC.

I asked if she would monitor pricing and she did exactly what I had been doing, she checked the Princess website.

I also like to handle my own bookings, but perhaps it is time to find a good TA so Princess stops assigning a PVP.

Judy

I turned down the first PVP because I saw no need for one. Then Princess assigned a new one. But when she asked if my husband was a veteran, I knew we had a problem since his veteran's OBC was already posted to our account. Same with stockholder's OBC.

I asked if she would monitor pricing and she did exactly what I had been doing, she checked the Princess website.

I also like to handle my own bookings, but perhaps it is time to find a good TA so Princess stops assigning a PVP.

Judy

I am thinking that this position may be an enrty level for newcomers to Princess. :eek:

Of course the CSR's appear to be in the same boat. Even though some have never sailed on a boat. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We used the same PVP for almost 7 years until last fall when I received a form letter email notice that she had "left the department". I always felt she was a gem and I liked her a lot. I felt loyal to her after she had worked through a challenging cancellation/insurance/re-booking situation for us, going above and beyond normal customer service. In our case it was helpful to have an "inside gal"!

That being said, after seeing so many seasoned cruisers only used TAs I had planned on finding a TA when we were on the Royal's maiden Caribbean cruise last November.

I knew the maiden voyage would be packed with TAs and it was! I meet several lovely ladies and I was lucky and found the one who's clients are some of the VIPs here on CC. As soon as we returned home I transferred my bookings to her. So far our experience with her has been excellent - great discount prices, nice OBCs and I like her a lot, too!

I think I made a good choice following the cruise experts example. I still miss my delightful PVP but feel our new TA will serve us well. :)

We've been quite happy with our PVP. He's always been willing to take all the time necessary to answer our questions. While we always have to find any price drops, he has no problem processing them for us.

That said, we wouldn't mind recommendations for a TA to talk to and see what they could do for us. In Phoenix, AZ if that makes a difference.

I've never used a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner nor booked directly as I save 10-20% using one of a few high-volume Princess TAs who discount plus I get OBC and perks. Neither the CVP nor booking directly can come close, even if there's fare change... unless Princess is giving the cruise away.

I have either booked by myself or as in the last 3 used a PCVP. Luckily, she has been there for us. :) Always on the lookout for saving money!:D

Haven't seen Princess give away a cruise yet, but I can hope! :eek: Not really!

There are services that will do this for you. Cruise Critic has a new one, and there is a long-established net that will fish for your cruise [if you're good a mirror writing].

There are services that will do this for you. Cruise Critic has a new one, and there is a long-established net that will fish for your cruise [if you're good a mirror writing].
While Princess allows TAs to discount cruises, they cannot promote, post or advertise discount rates so checking online without requesting a quote means you'll see the same price. You need to ask for a quote.

As for the services, including the CC service, all they do is check for Princess fare changes. They don't check TA rates and when I've tried checking fares for my booked cruises, I get a "0" return.

Edited by Pam in CA

I have either booked by myself or as in the last 3 used a PCVP. Luckily, she has been there for us. :) Always on the lookout for saving money!:D

Red"]

Haven't seen Princess give away a cruise ye[/b]t, but I can hope! :eek: Not really!

Oh, but they did. Every cruise that was taken on December 14, 2013 and all those in January on the Ruby, were fully refunded as a credit to be applied to any booking in 2014. We availed ourselves of this, by booking a suite on one cruise and a balcony on the other (suites were gone). We got back almost $2000/pp and applied it to already booked cruises. It was quite a deal. :D

Hi Pam -

Want to thank you for bringing MedjetAssist to my attention. I have joined and am glad to patch this "hole" in the cruise insurance policies!

The welcome packet included brochures for their travel insurance offshoot "InsureAssist." Do you have any experience/thoughts about these products?

[sorry for off-topic post. Pam, you can email me at jazzbeauster gmail]