What do you think.. should I complain ?

Astona

Folks, the replies in this post are all over the place. The original question was whether the OP should be upset that RCI didn't highlight the Cozumel "MoneyBack" program.

IMHO: no.

I was on a RCI cruise in Jun'13 that stopped in Cozumel and at that time RCI was highlighting the MoneyBack program (it was 6% back of purchase price, to be refunded in 45days). I bought an expensive men's watch at Diamonds International (one of RCI "recommended vendors"). I negotiated a great price with the store manager. The RCI Port Shopping Desk Manager happen to also be in DI when I was finalizing my purchase and he reminded me of the MoneyBack Program 6%...which the Store Manager agreed would apply to my purchase.

I can't tell you how pleased I was with my new watch and more importantly, the purchase price AND anticipated tax refund. Well 45days became 60, then 90, then 120days...no refund. I sent monthly emails to the RCI Port Shopping Manager (and DI) complaining. I considered the refund as part of my negotiated purchase price. In my emails, I suggested that RCI should not highlight a refund program (associated with their recommended Cozumel vendors) that they (RCI) have no control over.

Long story short: I finally DID receive my 6% refund...6months after-the-fact. I think RCI learned their lesson and now, no longer highlights this MoneyBack Program.

If you're interested: http://www.moneyback.mx/

BTW, the purchase price was $1000s less than local US jeweler price and more so with the refund...!!

Edited by CAPTQue

We popped into DI in one of our ports, and I found a ring almost identical to my wedding band (we were on our honeymoon). So just for giggles I asked for the price on it. I was astounded that they wanted to charge more than 3 times what we paid from my mother-in-laws respected jeweler back home. It stopped us from looking at anything else, knowing that we will get our best deals in good old NJ.

This thread has gone so far off the rails, that CC is likely to lock it.

So before that happens, I think people forget if you don't like what someone says on a regular basis, all you have to do is block them. I have with several people and it really helps my stress level.

There are enough knowledgeable people here that ignoring the few who irk me is not going to cause me to miss anything of value.

In internet speak, we call used to call that "plonk"-ing someone.

We popped into DI in one of our ports, and I found a ring almost identical to my wedding band (we were on our honeymoon). So just for giggles I asked for the price on it. I was astounded that they wanted to charge more than 3 times what we paid from my mother-in-laws respected jeweler back home. It stopped us from looking at anything else, knowing that we will get our best deals in good old NJ.

I have shopped for jewelry in most every major city and several foreign ports and the best prices in my experience where in NJ, just out side of Manhatten.

I worked there on contract for a year and found this jeweler with great prices. For years I bought my wifes diamnonds their over the phone as we live near Dallas. Had them appraised by a trusted local jeweler (who was not paid based on the value of the appraisal :-) )Great deals, better than anything we have seen on any of our cruises. Local jeweler offered to buy them for what I paid - They were sets, necklaces, bracelets, ear rings, etc. not raw jewels.

By the way I agree with the valley doll - anyone who buys jewelry is getting taken. More so than almost anything else. Good to know going in. I think it is an ego thing. Nobody has to buy jewelry. It's probalby near the top of Mavlov's pyramid.

Never be mad or second guess your purchase. It will drive you crazy thinking about it.

I was shopping in the islands for a new watch. I saw the exact watch I wanted but didn't buy it because it was our first stop of many islands. Once we left and hit the other islands, the watch I liked couldn't be found. I was so bummed that I didn't just bite the bullet and get what I wanted. Shopping around was not the answer for me.

I agree with others that each destination has their own specialties. What you can do is research each destination to see what you may want to buy. If you did some comparison shopping factoring in your Duty Free Allowance you can see if its cheaper to purchase the item back in the Sates or Abroad.

Remember you are only allowed up to a certain amount Duty Free and the you would have to pay duty. By the time you pay the duty I can assure you that you may be better off buying the item here at home.

For the most part when they say"You can only buy the item at our store" they just want the business. You may not find the exact same item but you can find something similar for a lot less.

Also you want to be sure that the store gives you the Official Certificate with the Retail Value printed that its indeed genuine. I've heard from a friend that one of her friends purchased what she thought was genuine Gold but it wasn't after she had it appraised at home.

You need to take as much precautions as possible so you are not just coming home with dead weight if you know what I mean.

Yes, you should be mad. It seems to me you have only yourself to blame. If it truely was an expensive purchase, you should have done your homework before you left home. Find out which port has the best deals? If you don't do that, then why would you expect to find the best deals. BTW, how do you know they had the same piece of jewlery in Cozumel? Do you think they herhaps charge more in Cozumel because of the 8% rebate? Perhaps you need to do some more homework before you write to Adam.

I agree and the response you may get from Adam is that we are sorry for your disappointment however Royal Caribbean is not responsible for the set prices that each store wants to set.

Its just like making a reccomendation to use a travel agent because your friend got a great deal. If you did not do your homework and booked the package for more and found one for less its your responsibility.

For instance I was in Livorno Italy and was walking around and came upon a restaurant offering a special rate if we were passengers on our cruise or if the crew wanted to eat. For 12 Euros they were offering a Pizza and Carafe of Wine. I shopped around and could not find a better deal so I went here.

I was glad I went to this restaurant as the staff was nice and there were locals eating at the restaurant as well.

Its called shopping around to find the best deal. When were visiting a port and want to buy something to take home we don't go to the first place we see because we know there are better deals to be had off the beaten tourist path.

If you can go deeper into the town away from all the tourist you would do much better.

Edited by travelplus

A couple of thoughts:

As a D+ member who cruises each year you probably have cruised enough to know that each port does things differently.

As a D+ member you probably have enough experience to know that if you see something that you like in one port it might not be available in the next port.

As someone who can afford to cruise and purchase expensive items you probably have plenty of shopping experience.

With that much background in cruising and shopping, I'd say you have no reason to complain.

The bracelet that you have is valued at 3 times what you paid for it….be happy.

Agreed. I knew i wanted Aquamarine earrings From Bermuda, NO WHERE ELSE, had to be from Bermuda... cause its a rare find there. i found the same type of earrings for cheaper in Cozumel, but didnt complain, cause i got what I wanted from where i wanted. I agree with poster above... as many cruises and shopping you dont really need to complain, I dont know what good it would do. You have a beautiful expensive ring and probably had a great vacation.

My husband refuses to buy jewelry on cruises, my wedding ring is enough.

As a husband who loves his wife very much and would gladly attempt to make her happy with an occasional physical purchase that would make her happy (like a lot of women, she does enjoy nice jewelry)...

a cruise port would pretty much be the last place I would ever buy her a piece of jewelry.

You have very little recourse if something goes South.

You have very little to guarantee you are getting what you think you are getting.

You are being nudged by only people that have VERY VESTED interests in you making some sort of purchase.

You are caught up in the vacation state of mind.

You are often thousands of miles from this remote location and despite what someone may think about their personal internet worth... your crappy review online isn't going to stop the next person from popping off their ship and repeating exactly what you did.

Edited by poncho1973

....and I SHOULD add it to my homeowner's insurance policy, but I will need to have it appraised to do that, and I am afraid I will be told that its value is not what I was told at DI in Cozumel. So...I wear it and enjoy it and would still be crying over it had I not brought it home. Nuff said...

Add it. How much would you cry if you had this ring you love and then lost it, and perhaps couldn't afford to have it replaced?

I think more than anything, it's just kind of a sad post. You read the OP and it appears that of all the wonderful blessings bestowed upon her, that when she looks at her beautiful bracelet, she gets a twinge of anger instead of an awesome memory of a wonderful cruise with her spouse and children. If the post is even real. Quite frankly, I think it could be a troll.

Meh. Many people are capable of multiple emotions based on one single thing. She loves the item AND wishes they had known about this refund. She is angry to not know, AND loves the item. It's not hard to have multiple feelings for many of us; it doesn't make the love for the item any less. Doesn't make the love for the cruise or family any less. I've worked out over the years that there are some people who are black and white. You love it purely or you don't; if you have questions or regrets, you definitely do NOT love it. That's not what it's like for those of us who can have multiple emotions.

That said, OP, I doubt the prices would have been the same! This is paltry compared to what you guys must have spent, but I wanted something at Cariloha in San Juan, decided not to get it then changed my mind by St Maarten. The item there was much more expensive.

Appraisal price is the price it would cost to replace the exact item. Of course it's going to appraise high, because the cost to replace something exactly, to have it made for you, is going to be high. If you were going to have it replaced in the same place you bought it in, it might very well appraise at the same cost or lower. I bet locals to those places with DI/TI don't buy their jewelry at DI/TI.

And appraisal value is not at all the same as the value you would get for selling it. Selling jewelry is a losing proposition. (unless you have something with lots of gold in it, and bought it when gold was very low, and sell when it is high) The two are entirely, completely different, and there should be no hurt feelings just because someone doesn't want to pay as much as it would cost to replace the item. Why wouldn't they just get a brand new item, if the prices were almost the same?

Wow I really thought this board was for people to talk to other cruisers and get advise, I really wouldn't have thought people would be so rude in their replies.

I am just lost for words, even if you didn't think I had any ground to complain, you didnt have to be rude and attack me personally. Sad that people act like this. I hope no one treats you all this way.

What kind of answer do you want to hear? That you should complain? To who do you think you should complain?

Anyways, the 8% back is probably on sales tax, so the price was probably the same at both places, and at Cozumel they added a sales tax which you would have gotten back some of it. So you actually probably paid less anyways.

As a husband who loves his wife very much and would gladly attempt to make her happy with an occasional physical purchase that would make her happy (like a lot of women, she does enjoy nice jewelry)...

a cruise port would pretty much be the last place I would ever buy her a piece of jewelry.

...snip...

I totally agree. I have a great jeweler here at home who is fair in his prices, and makes his own jewelry designs which are much nicer than anything I have seen in the mass produced products in the cruise stores.

I chatted with him a while ago and he mentioned that a few people have purchased what they though was a great product for what they thought was a good price, but really did not get anything special and paid more money than it would have been for him to sell it to them.

I never purchase anything that is sold to me as "buy it now or you cannot buy it again." Jewelry in cruise shops reminds me of timeshares, ripoff carpet companies, etc. who give you an ultimatum to "buy it now".