What do you think.. should I complain ?

Astona

Exactly! I've always gotten a laugh about the posts here from people who bought jewelry on a cruise that was "appraised" at 2-3X the price when they returned home. If it was true, we could all just cruise for free every year buying in the Caribbean and selling at home:rolleyes: Surprising how that just isn't happening when it shoud be so easy with all those incredible bargains!:D It's amazing how many people buy into their "local jewelers" "appraised value's" and don't realize they're just being told what they want to hear.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay :D

Oh and if you are looking for an absolutely great deal on jewelry, especially Tanzanite, shop at Ray's in St. Marteen. Best customer service, best prices. Love the stuff my DH has purchased for me there and no complaints here about the prices :D

OP : we have a saying here in the UK : caveat emptor : buyer beware.

The answer to your question is : no.

We have the same saying here in the USA...guess the OP is not familiar with it!!;)

At least she knows how to spell, lol. Does your rudeness validate you?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My reply that you quoted was to a poster who made some absurd comments that basically said ANYONE who EVER buys ANY jewelry was being "ripped off". It was not directed at the OP's post, in case you didn't notice???:rolleyes: Oh, I made a typo and left out an "e" in statement...... yeah I know how to spell it, but glad I gave you something to use in a lame attempt to insult me.

BTW, you said you stayed away from here because of of "snarky and rude" posts, but that's exactly what your reply to me was.

Edited by bouhunter

Curious how you think they manage to do that if they don't know what you paid. ???

And a higher than accurate appraisal is not great for the insurance companies; it actually hurts them because they're that "false" higher appraisal will cost them unfairly if a claim is made.

The higher the value, the higher the premium. You can rest assured the insurance companies will be making their money.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My reply that you quoted was to a poster who made some absurd comments that basically said ANYONE who EVER buys ANY jewelry was being "ripped off". It was not directed at the OP's post, in case you didn't notice???:rolleyes: Oh, I made a typo and left out an "e" in statement...... yeah I know how to spell it, but glad I gave you something to use in a lame attempt to insult me.

BTW, you said you stayed away from here because of of "snarky and rude" posts, but that's exactly what your reply to me was.

Yes, it was I who voiced my opinion that jewelry is a rip off. My opinion, to which you responded An amazingly ridiculous and ignorant statement”.

ignorant??? Really.:rolleyes:

OK, maybe you disagree with my opinion; however, there is no need for such a rude response.

It was totally uncalled for and out of line, and it seems like others are in agreement with me.

We commonly pick up the cruise line port brochures so we know where not to shop. It conveniently identifies the places that charge higher prices to cover their marketing costs to us cruisers.

If I am looking for good deals on jewelry, the Caribbean would be among the last places on my list. Way too many uninformed shoppers that raise the prices.

If I amon holiday and want to buy something because my wife loves it -then it is a wise thing to do, but if I thought I got a good deal - when I sobered up I would kick myself in the butt.

Even reputable insurance appraisers come in at a price at least two times real worth. It is a standard and well known practice. That is why items such as jewelry have multiple "prices" - re-sale value, wholesale value, retail value and finally and always much higher - insurance appraisal value. Don't ever pay appraisal value unless you know that it is well above "real" value. It is just the way the insurance markets work.

I'm a little confused as to why you are mentioning D+, also having 4 cabins and taking your adult children on a cruise every year have to do with your jewelry purchase?

You have a piece of jewelry that you absolutely love, enjoy wearing it and forgot about the 8%.

flaunting? :p

Very simple rule of thumb - Whenever, wherever, whatever the cost ..... when you buy jewelry, you are getting rip off .... no exceptions whatsoever.

When one chooses to voice such an all inclusive, "no exceptions" opinion stated as a "rule of thumb" "fact" that is uneducated and far too broad, it isn't necessarily rude when they're called out on it. :)

Edited by bouhunter

When one chooses to voice such an all inclusive, "no exceptions" opinion stated as a "rule of thumb" "fact" that is uneducated and far too broad, it isn't necessarily rude when they're called out on it. :)

Must be that now, according to you, I am "uneducated".

Maybe it is just me that finds you rude. In addition, I also find you offensive and confrontational.

You might want to make the distinction between "opinion" and "fact", as that is where the basis of your overall argument fails.

Also, when I find myself in disagreement with someone's opinion, no matter how absurd, I might mention that to me it is goofy, strange, ridiculous, however, I WOULD NEVER REFER TO IT AS IGNORANT.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

I love jewelry and love traveling but not together. My husband refuses to buy me anything at the jewelry stores in ports in the Caribbean and Mexico. He doesn't buy me expensive pieces anywhere but from our reputable jeweler here in the States. He says he trusts John and his knowledge and integrity, so whether it is emeralds in Cartagena, or opals in Australia, we don't indulge.

Must be that now, according to you, I am "uneducated".

Maybe it is just me that finds you rude. In addition, I also find you offensive and confrontational.

You might want to make the distinction between "opinion" and "fact", as that is where the basis of your overall argument fails.

Also, when I find myself in disagreement with someone's opinion, no matter how absurd, I might mention that to me it is goofy, strange, ridiculous, however, I WOULD NEVER REFER TO IT AS IGNORANT.

Whatever. Though I don't recall anyone voicing an "opinion" and stating it as "whenever, wherever, whatever.....no exceptions whatsoever......". :rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

Wait, I thought we (Americans) weren't buying Tanzanite because it is mined by slave children......is that not "true" anymore since its supply is being depleted?

I assume we must all make choices- what about "blood diamonds", clothes made in China, India, and other countries that have children labor and countries who oppress women?

Edited by Cruise a holic

Wow I really thought this board was for people to talk to other cruisers and get advise, I really wouldn't have thought people would be so rude in their replies.

I am just lost for words, even if you didn't think I had any ground to complain, you didnt have to be rude and attack me personally. Sad that people act like this. I hope no one treats you all this way.

Sorry that you felted attacked. Responders on these boards sometimes could be more tactful, but there are a lot of posts here that consist of posters complaining (or wondering whether they should complain) about matters that they should have known or would have known with some advanced research. Not everyone does a ton of research before a trip, but the general mantra on these and other cruise message boards seems to be "let the buyer beware" and I think that applies here. Its great to attend the informational shopping sessions but also very important to realize what they are - sales pitches. Obviously any sales pitch is geared to make you think you are getting the best deal but that may or may not be true. With that said, even if you don't get the absolute best deal, the key to any purchase is that you are happy with your item and felt that it was a good value. Obviously that applies here based on your description. So focus on the positive!

Analogy: have had a cruise on Oasis in July reserved since last year. I thought I got a great deal on two adjoining cabins in a prime location. Now that final payment has been made, the price is lower and I could have cruised for less. That does not thrill me, but that is how the game is played and everyone knows it (or should) although RCI does not expressly disclose that. I am still excited and I am OK with what I paid, thought it was a good value for what I am getting. No basis to complain!

Pay no mind to him LA CA GAL, He's trying to cyber bully you from Michigan.

Whatever. Though I don't recall anyone voicing an "opinion" and stating it as "whenever, wherever, whatever.....no exceptions whatsoever......". :rolleyes:

Don´t waste your time she Comes up on jewelry threads a lot to make such Statements.:rolleyes:

So you worked on a Cruise ship? Cool!!!

2,847 * 3.5 days (assuming I worked a 3/4 out & back cruise the average would be 3.5 days)

=

9964.5 days at sea

9964.5 / 365 days a year

=

27.3 years with no breaks

2014-1973 (poncho1973)

=

41 (well... I'm still 40 actually)

40-27.3

=

12.7 years of age when I began my career and I haven't taken a single day (except maybe Leap Days) off since!

I rock!

Edited by poncho1973