What do you think.. should I complain ?

Astona

All Diamond Internationals do not carry the same items. My wife likes Pandora bracelets and charms. So she bought one in St. Lucia at DI. She usually will pick up a charm for it that is maybe unique to the islands. Well last year she she saw a charm she wanted at DI in Grand Cayman and waited until we got to Cozumel. Well guess what.........the DI in Cozumel didn't sell Pandora products at all! She was disappointed, but got over it!

Edited by bigque

Send a letter to the cruise line and explain what happened and how you feel about it. Maybe even a suggestion of a change. If you are polite about it, I am sure they will read it.

Other than that, it's a life lesson. I thank you for telling us about it, you may have saved someone some grief.

Burt

The same type of thing happened to me on our first cruise. The "Shopping Consultant" on board told us to wait until Aruba to purchase jewelry and perfume as it would be much cheaper there. I needed to get my mom some perfume for a gift for dropping us off and picking us up at the airport. So we purchased it in Aruba at a "recommended" shop. Checked at other remaining ports on the cruise and paid about $20 MORE at Aruba than any other port. Then I learned about the cruise line/local shops relationship.

Ah well. My lesson learned: don't go to any recommended shops!

Seriously??? Is this post a joke? The first thing that raises my suspicion is why a D+ member would be going to the shopping lectures.;)

Two things: I am D+ and I love going to the shopping lectures. You can get up and leave any time you want; you are not forced to shop on land. However, the best part is the free giveaways. I have won at least four free lunches at Margaretville in Cozumel; 2 Cruise in Review DVDs; jewelry (OK trinket jewelry) and many other items. A free lunch in Margaretville is worth my time especially since I was not doing anything worthwhile anyway. I will be in Cozumel seven more times this year and hopefully I can win another free lunch. My wife and I always have lunch there, however, for some reason it taste better when it is free.:)

Duane

Guest maddycat
Seriously??? Is this post a joke? The first thing that raises my suspicion is why a D+ member would be going to the shopping lectures.;)

Right. I stopped going to those after my second cruise. I realized that the recommended shops were only recommended because RCI received a kick back.

Wonder how the jewelry store onboard the ships compare with those in port. Guess I will have to do some homework!!

On another note. Recently I looked at a bracelet in st Maarten. It was $2400. By the time I walked out the door it was down to $1400. I chuckled. Wonder what it is worth here!!!!

Wonder how the jewelry store onboard the ships compare with those in port. Guess I will have to do some homework!!

On another note. Recently I looked at a bracelet in st Maarten. It was $2400. By the time I walked out the door it was down to $1400. I chuckled. Wonder what it is worth here!!!!

My mom has always been a jewelry nut. All the years they were married , my dad bought her a lot and some really beautiful expensive pieces.

Through the years she has been to various jewelers and appraisers just to see what they are worth. Thought about selling a few of the pieces she never wears anymore or are really out of style.

The disparity between quotes she has gotten is amazing. Some quotes were almost an insult . you really have to do your home work when buying a really expensive piece.

Hmmm...."worth 2-3 times what I paid for it"...that must be their "line", as I, too, purchased a lovely tanzanite ring in Cozumel 4 years ago...was told the same thing. It was a spontaneous purchase, as we had rain that day and went shopping instead of spending our time at Nachi Cocum. The difference here? I was not looking for or shopping for anything at all, but this ring practically "jumped" out of the case and screamed "take me home"! So glad I did....and I SHOULD add it to my homeowner's insurance policy, but I will need to have it appraised to do that, and I am afraid I will be told that its value is not what I was told at DI in Cozumel. So...I wear it and enjoy it and would still be crying over it had I not brought it home. Nuff said...

My answer is no, don't be upset. You enjoyed a lovely cruise. Apparently you have enjoyed many if you are D+. You have adult children who enjoy traveling with you. You have a loving spouse. Considering all of this you have "wealth" beyond many's wildest dreams. Be grateful, move on.

No, I wouldn't complain.

After our 'last' experience 2 years ago in Diamonds International in Cozumel, I wouldn't pay 1 cent for a piece of their jewelry. It was so unbelievable bad, I wrote to Richard Fain when we re-boarded the ship.

I would be thinking my lucky stars that I made a purchase elsewhere. Enjoy your beautiful bracelet and don't worry about Cozumel.

:)

This such a fascinating discussion! The OP question was taken seriously by some, a joke by others, some responses were helpful while others were.... not so much.

My take is that you did get a good deal so enjoy your bracelet. Also remember that RCI runs a business to make money. They have "arrangements" with establishments in the ports to get you to visit them. They really cannot dis one over the other so it doesn't surprise me that they may not have given you complete info in the first port discussion.

Cruising has changed a lot over the past 25 years. Remember when it was "all inclusive?" Chalk it up as a lesson learned and know you'll be a little smarter on your next cruise.

Ok, I have a dilemma and I am not sure how to handle it. First of all, I am not sure if everyone knows that if you make a purchase from Diamonds International in Cozumel, you can get almost 8% back from the city by filling out a form and handing it in before you leave.

So last month my hubby and I went on a cruise and we had 4 cabins total, we are D+ and take our adult kids on a cruise each year. They love RCCL as much as we do or did. I go to all the port and shopping lectures to make sure I get the best deals; my hubby likes to buy me pretty sparkled things.

We attend the first port and shopping lecture and it was on Jamaica and Grand Cayman. They said that they will do the Cozumel talk the morning we get off the ship at Cozumel. So it’s all fresh.

Ok, so they go thru all the shops etc etc. My hubby and I get off the ship in Grand Cayman and he buys me this ‘OGM’ totally beautiful 24.8 ct. tanzanite tennis bracelet. It has 32 .75 perfect IC round AAA tanzanite’s, ELG cert and all. TOTALLY beautiful. It has actually appraised / replacement here in the states for over 3 times what we paid for it, which I almost couldn’t believe but I was added it to my insurance policy so I needed to know its real value.

ok, so we get on the ship, and enjoy our day at sea, and get ready to hop off in Cozumel. That morning we go to the Cozumel port and Shopping lecture. And the guide says, you will love shopping here, the values are amazing … if you make a purchase at Diamonds International here you get almost 8% back on your credit card. Shopping here is the best !! No one can beat the prices here with the almost 8% back.

I almost passed out. Are you saying that had I bought my tennis bracelet here instead of at Grand Cayam, I would have gotten almost 8% back ???? REALLY ?? I am the type who would wait and make sure that I get the most for my money. So I was really upset when I found this out.

Don’t you think that they are holding that info back from us. Its like not telling us so we don’t wait and shop in Cozumel instead of the other ports?

I was so mad, afterwards the port and shopping guide told me that they purposely hold that info back in case they (Cozumel) decided to change the policy at the last minute and RCCL doesn’t give out bad info; they that confirm it before they share that info so we don’t get off the ship with incorrect information.

What a bunch of crap. They purposely held that info until that morning so we would spend all our money on the other stops and then spend more on Cozumel.

Do I have a right here to be mad ?

One thing to note, the Port Shopping Guide (Was it Lucy?) is not employed by royal Caribbean, but pays RCI to be able to be on the ship. Also, DI does charge more in Cozumel Usually.

I think more than anything, it's just kind of a sad post. You read the OP and it appears that of all the wonderful blessings bestowed upon her, that when she looks at her beautiful bracelet, she gets a twinge of anger instead of an awesome memory of a wonderful cruise with her spouse and children. If the post is even real. Quite frankly, I think it could be a troll.

It reminds me of reading reviews at some of the most beautiful resorts in the world by some folks that can't get past the $15 hamburgers at the swim up infinity pool. That's the first thing that still comes up when they describe the resort.

It's likely that the memory/experience of this bracelet will be overshadowed by a presumed refund of 8% which may be imagined anyway (bracelet might not have even been in Cozumel).

:(

No.

FYI Jewelers in the US will amost ALWAYS appraise things much higher than what you paid. They don't want to tell you that you didn't get a "great" deal......Great for the insurance companies by the way.....

Curious how you think they manage to do that if they don't know what you paid. ???

And a higher than accurate appraisal is not great for the insurance companies; it actually hurts them because they're that "false" higher appraisal will cost them unfairly if a claim is made.

Curious how you think they manage to do that if they don't know what you paid. ???

And a higher than accurate appraisal is not great for the insurance companies; it actually hurts them because they're that "false" higher appraisal will cost them unfairly if a claim is made.

Quite a few years ago I inherited jewellery from my mother. I had the items appraised for insurance purposes and was charged a percentage of the appraisal value as a fee. I subsequently discovered that the value for insurance purposes can differ vastly from replacement value..... not sure if the same system exists in the US.

Wow I really thought this board was for people to talk to other cruisers and get advise, I really wouldn't have thought people would be so rude in their replies.

I am just lost for words, even if you didn't think I had any ground to complain, you didnt have to be rude and attack me personally. Sad that people act like this. I hope no one treats you all this way.

I have only read to this point before losing interest so I don't know what was said after this; however, I did not see any posts that were rude to you - only honest. You asked a question. No is the overwhelming answer and I guess most people would assume you would want to hear their reasoning. Personally, my answer to your question would also be no and I am also feeling compelled to give my reasoning.... But mainly I would love to see a picture of the jewelry...

Hi Astona,

You have a right to feel the way you do, but like other's have said, who knows if that same bracelet would have been on Cozumel - enjoy it!

That being said, I would like to validate you. I have read through this entire post. I'm appalled at some of the responses to you. Snarky and downright rude. Even suggesting that because you are a D+ why are you attending the shopping seminars? These certain people remind me of why I stayed off this board for 4 years. For the most part everyone is nice but there are several that are just bullies and vitriolic. Don't let them get to you. They are petty. Obviously they are jealous you, your diamond status, or that you have a husband that likes to buy you nice sparkly things.

For anyone to suggest First World Problems to you. How dare they??I would tell them - Look in the mirror BUDDY. Any of us who are lucky to cruise are more blessed than 99% of the world. We all have "First World Problems"

Enjoy your bracelet dahling and happy cruising!

Panda