Free upgrade taken away 3 days before cruise begins

I read this thread earlier and I was just browsing the CAS benefit webpage and saw this at the very bottom.

"In the rare event that an extenuating circumstance arises after a Member is upgraded, Royal Caribbean reserves the right to withdraw the upgrade to accommodate another guest’s cruise vacation."

They've got it all covered, haven't they.

They've got it all covered, haven't they.

Of course they have it covered.

And really, would expect otherwise? Imagine is a guest books a balcony, and at the last moment their original cabin develops some awful plumbing issue that requires an extended period to repair, so that paid guest cannot stay in their original balcony cabin. By then, all balcony and higher are filled (as usual). While the displaced guest and all the others paid balcony rates, one balcony is currently assigned to a C&A member who only paid for an OV. Logically, who would it be most reasonable to downgrade back to an OV? Surely not the guest who paid for a balcony cabin and lost their handpicked cabin:eek:.

In the OP's case, if I understand correctly, they are to be back to the exact same cabin they booked. Had they really gotten an authentic upgrade two weeks ago, odds are that old cabin number would have been assigned to somebody else in the interim. If they bounced back to the same OV cabin, a computer glitch somehow seems more probable.

I'd be a bit bummed if it happened to me, but easy come, easy go.

I have no entitlement nor claim because I booked originally an outside . I just want to have a comprehensive explanation from RCCL why they told me at the telephone- yes it is 8130, why the balcony showed up for 2 weeks on their webpage, and why all of these goodies were reversed......

This is the screen shot , taken April 10th. Hope it works to post it:

cnlarfbfih4px763d.jpg

If I would have gotten this, I would have immediately completed the on line check in AND sent a copy of this to my TA to have them MAKE SURE of all the details and get you the same kind of confirmation that they probably gave you when you made the original booking.

I have just checked the availability of balcony cabins: in the E1 cat 8130 and 3 others are still available!

Ok, here we go with the Diamond Plus desk answer. The gentleman really wanted to help me figuring out what has happened. Since it is an international RCCL Frankfurt booking his hands are tight and only they and the TA control the booking. He has no possibility to change or retrieve something. He made the impression to me of a very helpful employee. but my (their) handicap is that the TA and resolution in RCCL Frankfurt is closed for European holidays until Tuesday.

So the big questionmark stays and can not be solved/answered until the cruise is almost over. I can not believe that even the HQ can not interfere, that is weird for such a big company.

I think you call this situation a catch 22 situation, right?

I give up and will enjoy the 40xx cabin!

One thing I might try is to bring that screen shot to the pier check-in desk and tell them the story. You might just get a nice supervisor who will upgrade you if something is still available. Can't hurt but go with no expectations in case it doesn't happen. Have a great cruise either way.

did you receive an email about the upgrade?

I received an email about an upgrade on my last cruise. When I logged on I saw my room number as the new room number BUT my luggage tags and some documents still had the old number. I had to call and get RCCL to update my cruise documents for the cruise and print it out again. It took over night for the update to take.

Edited by dasi11

One thing I might try is to bring that screen shot to the pier check-in desk and tell them the story. You might just get a nice supervisor who will upgrade you if something is still available. Can't hurt but go with no expectations in case it doesn't happen. Have a great cruise either way.

I agree with this. Well worth a shot if the cabin isn't even booked yet.

This happen to my brother and his wife. Just before they left they got upgraded to a balcony cabin and were thrilled. When they went to pier check-in they were put back into their original windowed cabin. We don't know why. Pier staff had no explanation. It could be that they were upgraded and then someone last minuted wanted to pay for a balcony cabin or had to switch some balcony cabins around due to plumbing problems and thus they were put back in their original cabin. Yes, I know it isn't that fair to be given something of greater value then you paid for and then have it taken away; but who says life is fair. All the cruise line owes you is the cabin grade you paid for. Yes, it's a major disappointment. We get that, but life is full of disappointments. You are still going on the cruise. Sure, you can write the cruise line and let them know your disappointment; but they still don't owe you anything more than maybe an apology for the mix-up/confusion.

Anybody with a Miami Diamond Plus tel no please?

No Miami Diamond Plus desk, most everything is handled from Oregon now. Call 800-526-9723 and press 9 during the greeting. Explain to agent what happened and see what they say. If not satifactory, ask to speak to someone in resolutions. They should be able to explain or help you out. Good luck.

Edited by Seatravelers

I have just checked the availability of balcony cabins: in the E1 cat 8130 and 3 others are still available!

Ok, here we go with the Diamond Plus desk answer. The gentleman really wanted to help me figuring out what has happened. Since it is an international RCCL Frankfurt booking his hands are tight and only they and the TA control the booking. He has no possibility to change or retrieve something. He made the impression to me of a very helpful employee. but my (their) handicap is that the TA and resolution in RCCL Frankfurt is closed for European holidays until Tuesday.

So the big questionmark stays and can not be solved/answered until the cruise is almost over. I can not believe that even the HQ can not interfere, that is weird for such a big company.

Ok, just checked, and you are right! 8130 and other balcony cabins are still available.

Taking the information that you gave in your original post in this thread - that you have more than 400 cruise points on Royal Caribbean - I believe that RC intended you to have this upgrade.

It is certainly a huge problem that your agent and RCCL Frankfurt are closed for the holiday.

Call that same phone number back again, and get a different agent. Start all over again, and see if you can get your upgrade.

If that doesn't work, try again.

It sounds annoying, but I would not be surprised if persistence will pay off!

:)

What I consider this is a breach of contract. Royal Caribbean gave you an upgrade(like a hotel). In all my years of travel I have gotten many an upgrade from a Hotel and never have they revoked my upgrade.

In fact last year my Father and I were in Vegas and the agent assigned us a room on a lower floor when we were supposed to get a room on a higher floor. So this other agent called her manager and we were upgraded to the 1 Bedroom Penthouse Suite.

My point is if Royal gave you the upgrade and you printed off your set sail pass you should be in this room unless there were other circumstances but Royal should have told you and put you in another cabin in the same category or better as the upgraded room.

I would email Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com with your confirmation# and screen shot of the reservation.

If IT downgraded you due to a computer error then they should be responsible to fix your reservation to reflect the upgrade. Your upgrade falls under confirmed upgrade as you have the documents reflecting the new cabin. If they downgraded you to your original cabin without even contacting you or even assisting you to keep the upgraded cabin then you have a case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the OP was confirmed to a better cabin as opposed to an upgrade based upon availability at time of checkin like at hotels.

Again once an upgrade has been extended they cannot for the most part revoke it unless it was an upgrade based upon availability.

Edited by travelplus

By chance did you print your "new" document in your "My Cruise" information or do a "print screen" to a document of that information? :) That might be the only way you have any recourse! :( Without something as "proof" it would be their word against your word! :mad:

IF this doesn't get resolved, I would suggest that you write RCCL when you get back saying how much you enjoyed the cruise BUT how disappointed you were that they had such a "cruise ruining" glitch in their system! ! ! :D Hope that there is a GOOD outcome!

Sorry but I disagree I would be on the phone and/or write Royal Caribbean today as they do have methods to work with you to upgrade. I would arrive at the port around 10:45 or when the first checkin opens and show them your documents and ask for the Pier Director to assign you the upgraded cabin or better but that you will not accept the downgrade.

If Royal made a mistake and upgraded you then tough luck. Shoot its just like a hotel saying Mr. Jones we have upgraded you to the Penthouse Suite and then 20 minutes later after you unpacked they call you again and say W'ere very sorry but we assigned you the wrong room. In this case you have every right to stay and you are in no obligation to move because you were assigned the room and signed the documents etc.

I was once at a Resort and when we were in the room they said we were assigned the wrong room. So I spoke with the Manager and said you were the ones to assign us this room and we do not have time to repack and move. So they kept us in the upgraded room for the entire stay.

If you don't speak up in a firm but professional manner you would be downgraded to the downgraded room.

I have just completed a course in travel and tourism and what I have learned is that an operator cannot revoke an upgrade unless there was an extenuating circumstance due to maintenance. Once your room has been assigned/upgraded and you as the customer did your part of the contract the hotel is obligated to keep you in the upgraded room since they offered it to you at checkin and they cannot charge you more.

On one flight I was upgraded to First Class and the Gate Agent tried to downgrade me but I stood my ground and firmly but politely stated that I have settled in for the evening and do not have any energy to move to a downgraded cabin. I have boarded the flight and you have scanned my boarding pass so this means you accepted the contract. The agent just moved on and that was that.

Edited by travelplus

I am sorry that this happened to you. It was probably a computer glitch in which you called attention to. More than likely, your stateroom still remained the OV 40xx, even though it showed the balcony stateroom.

Be thankful that you found out before check-in.;) That really would have been a bummer to check-in and find that you were back in your OV. :( This way, you have has time to let it sink in...as we Americans says. :D

What I consider this is a breach of contract. Royal Caribbean gave you an upgrade(like a hotel). In all my years of travel I have gotten many an upgrade from a Hotel and never have they revoked my upgrade.

Uhm...wanting to believe this is true and it being true are two different things. Would I be upset, sure. But I don't see how the OP is OWED anything. Can you please point me to some fine print terms and conditions that support your assertions? Not even RCCL but for ANY business even?

As others have said most likely the upgrade never existed and it was just the screwed up website as it frequently displays incorrect information.

Ok, just checked, and you are right! 8130 and other balcony cabins are still available.

Taking the information that you gave in your original post in this thread - that you have more than 400 cruise points on Royal Caribbean - I believe that RC intended you to have this upgrade.

It is certainly a huge problem that your agent and RCCL Frankfurt are closed for the holiday.

Call that same phone number back again, and get a different agent. Start all over again, and see if you can get your upgrade.

If that doesn't work, try again.

It sounds annoying, but I would not be surprised if persistence will pay off!

:)

In fact last year my Father and I were in Vegas and the agent assigned us a room on a lower floor when we were supposed to get a room on a higher floor. So this other agent called her manager and we were upgraded to the 1 Bedroom Penthouse Suite.

My point is if Royal gave you the upgrade and you printed off your set sail pass you should be in this room unless there were other circumstances but Royal should have told you and put you in another cabin in the same category or better as the upgraded room.

I would email Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com with your confirmation# and screen shot of the reservation.

If IT downgraded you due to a computer error then they should be responsible to fix your reservation to reflect the upgrade. Your upgrade falls under confirmed upgrade as you have the documents reflecting the new cabin. If they downgraded you to your original cabin without even contacting you or even assisting you to keep the upgraded cabin then you have a case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the OP was confirmed to a better cabin as opposed to an upgrade based upon availability at time of checkin like at hotels.

Again once an upgrade has been extended they cannot for the most part revoke it unless it was an upgrade based upon availability.

I agree with both although there really is no timeframe left to email Mr Goldstein and get a reply.

I will add to ask for the Resolutions Dept again and explain that your TA is not available to help you before you set sail.

Shoot its just like a hotel saying Mr. Jones we have upgraded you to the Penthouse Suite and then 20 minutes later after you unpacked they call you again and say W'ere very sorry but we assigned you the wrong room. In this case you have every right to stay and you are in no obligation to move because you were assigned the room and signed the documents etc.

I was once at a Resort and when we were in the room they said we were assigned the wrong room. So I spoke with the Manager and said you were the ones to assign us this room and we do not have time to repack and move. So they kept us in the upgraded room for the entire stay.

If you don't speak up in a firm but professional manner you would be downgraded to the downgraded room.

On one flight I was upgraded to First Class and the Gate Agent tried to downgrade me but I stood my ground and firmly but politely stated that I have settled in for the evening and do not have any energy to move to a downgraded cabin. I have boarded the flight and you have scanned my boarding pass so this means you accepted the contract. The agent just moved on and that was that.

Apples to oranges here.

The OP has not settled into the upgraded cabin. To stay with your examples they have not arrived at the Hotel or aiorport. They have not set foot into the cabin / Hotel room / airplane yet.

I would agree with you if they had occupied their cabin already to be thrown out of it again, but this is not the case here.

If this upgrade was ever there and not some Computer glitch, I still don´t think it´s anything you can Count on. It´s a different thing once you actually have started to "use" the given upgraded product, like in your examples sat in the first class seat / occupied the upgraded Hotel room.

In the OP´s Situation this would be the Point when they have entered the cabin. I might even go as far as saying the deal is done once they have been issued seapass Cards with the upgraded room# on them aka have a key to the room.

We booked an outside cabin 40xx on Serenade for the 19 April cruise a couple of months ago. Since 2 weeks I gladly could see a free upgrade to balcony 8130 in my RCCL personal webpage under "My Cruises" . We praised RCCL for the nice upgrade as this would be our first free upgrade at presently 400 seadays achieved. Yesterday cabin upgrade 8130 was deleted from webpage and the original inside cabin 40xx shows up again. A telephone call to RCCL could not bring any clarification and they said that 40xx is indeed the correct cabin for the upcoming cruise. No further explanations possible (I called three different tel-no.s)

Does this happen often that RCCL reverses the free upgrade to the original booked cabin? Two weeks pleasant anticipation taken in a split second......

So you called 3 different telephone numbers? They shouldn't even talk to you since you stated you have a TA and you don't own that reservation anymore. Why didn't you let your TA handle things? Maybe your TA had a block of cabins and made the mistake not RCL and then realized their mistake and changed you back to your original booking.

Edited by cruzsnooze

did you receive an email about the upgrade?

I received an email about an upgrade on my last cruise. When I logged on I saw my room number as the new room number BUT my luggage tags and some documents still had the old number. I had to call and get RCCL to update my cruise documents for the cruise and print it out again. It took over night for the update to take.

There are glitches in their system and not all the documents update when you are given an upgrade. I have gotten 2 upgrades in 2013 and both times I needed to call to have the documents updated correctly and have the old room number removed and the new room number updated. It showed on the reservation number but not in the documents..... I bet there was a mistake done after you earned the upgrade and the documents were reversed instead of corrected. (I am also diamond plus.... ) At 2-3 week mark they start the upgrades so it makes sense that you got an upgrade for your status.

For future bookings.......... I will never use a travel agent because I want to talk to RCCL directly and they will not talk to you....if you have a travel agent. I have also gotten many price adjustments and price upgrades when sales happened at off hours (Sat. night at 8 pm) and I just called up and got the price of the cruise adjusted down or a higher room category.

Edited by dasi11

So you called 3 different telephone numbers? They shouldn't even talk to you since you stated you have a TA and you don't own that reservation anymore. Why didn't you let your TA handle things? Maybe your TA had a block of cabins and made the mistake not RCL and then realized their mistake and changed you back to your original booking.

The majority of posters here were helpful (I used all your hints with regards to contacting Miami), but some few like this quoted poster write such utterly nonsense because they are too lazy or too incapable to read all the facts laid down in the thread. If he did, he knew the answer on his questions already. why RCCL Frankfurt and the TA can not be accessed during extended national holidays. And yes I got a reply by a Miami rep that it is 8130 which later proofed wrong as reported here.

If these smart "snoozecruiser" - trolls could just get a live and think before opening their mouth.....

I am about to leave Northern Alabama for the drive down to Nola.

Thanks to all the good people for their posts and hints.

The majority of posters here were helpful (I used all your hints with regards to contacting Miami), but some few like this quoted poster write such utterly nonsense because they are too lazy or too incapable to read all the facts laid down in the thread. If he did, he knew the answer on his questions already. why RCCL Frankfurt and the TA can not be accessed during extended national holidays. And yes I got a reply by a Miami rep that it is 8130 which later proofed wrong as reported here.

If these smart "snoozecruiser" - trolls could just get a live and think before opening their mouth.....

I am about to leave Northern Alabama for the drive down to Nola.

Thanks to all the good people for their posts and hints.

Good luck Chris, I hope it works out for you. :)