With all the recent changes of RCI ships - how do you feel now?

How do you now feel about your future cruising loyalty with Royal Caribbean?  

476 members have voted

1. 1. How do you now feel about your future cruising loyalty with Royal Caribbean?

• My loyalty to RCI is gone
    • I will shift to another cruiseline for future cruises
    • I will stay the course with RCI
    • I can't even describe how angry I am about the RCI ship-switching
    • The recent news doesn't change anything here
    • Carnival here I come

If RCI wants to see how revamping their product to attract a younger, hipper customer who's looking for a boutique-type experience will succeed, I have one name:

JC Penney

Never a more perfect response. Now how many of their stores have they closed and continue to close?

Penney's hired that CEO who made the disastrous decision to retool everything in a boutique (ie, Dynamic Dining) concept that tanked the brand with loyal customers.

I see RCI taking the same path. Just let them have a catastrophic noro outbreak or system failure on one of the floating amusement parks that gets international bad press and depresses bookings fleet-wide, and we'll see an overnight swing back to the advantages of the "classic traditions of cruising."

The pendulum seems to be swinging to its max in the other direction right now, but the ships causing that will ironically create the swing back to tradition.

Or I'm just a wishful thinker. :)

I have to say that, yes, I'm a bit bothered by the recent changes. The NCC and ship deployments are the ones that bother me. NCCs just became mostly pointless. The ships...I always cruise January/February. I was looking forward to Anthem, but there's no way I'm going to NYC at that time of year. Also, it looks like they've left NOLA, and I'd like to go out of there sometime as my wife has never been there at all. Plus.. the itineraries seem boring as it's always the same 4 or 5. I'm eyeing some NCL cruises for 2016 just for a complete change. Freestyle doesn't bother me at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I sure hope they do not hire Ron Johnson to fill Adam Goldstein's former position as President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International.:eek:

Now that you mention it LuvBNatC, there's more to compare the Royal Caribbean changes to JCPenney. In addition to the boutiques (Dynamic Dining), they eliminated sales and coupons in favor of "Everyday Low Prices". C&A Savings Certificates have now been eliminated.

(My biggest problem with JCP under that CEO was that my size wasn't in stock. Now that he's gone and they reinstate the previous CEO, they have my size and I now continue to shop there.)

As for targeting a younger, hipper clientele with Dynamic Dining; it's a load of garbage. The real reason is to get people into eating at specialty restaurants, especially the extra $$$ ones. Other than Johnny Rockets for dinner on the first night of my first cruise, I do not eat at the extra $$$ restaurants for dinner. I enjoy the company of my tablemates at dinner in the MDR, and the menus elsewhere for an additional charge do not impress me. By taking away the MDR, Royal Caribbean is banking on more people eating at $$$ restaurants since choices are limited to 4 non-suite complimentary restaurants with limited niche menus that may not be appealing to some passengers. At least the MDR has a different menu each night of the cruise, along with classics to cater to most peoples' tastes.

Never a more perfect response. Now how many of their stores have they closed and continue to close?

Interesting thought about the JC Penney comparison.

The only difference I see is that RCI is in much better shape at this point, but yes...I can see how the direction of their decisions parallels the JC Penney path.

As for targeting a younger, hipper clientele with Dynamic Dining; it's a load of garbage. The real reason is to get people into eating at specialty restaurants, especially the extra $$$ ones. Other than Johnny Rockets for dinner on the first night of my first cruise, I do not eat at the extra $$$ restaurants for dinner. I enjoy the company of my tablemates at dinner in the MDR, and the menus elsewhere for an additional charge do not impress me. By taking away the MDR, Royal Caribbean is banking on more people eating at $$$ restaurants since choices are limited to 4 non-suite complimentary restaurants with limited niche menus that may not be appealing to some passengers.

You're probably right. When I was booking my Dynamic Dining I was choosing all free restaurants. The rep said, 'don't forget to leave room for specialty dining'. DD is new to me so I didn't feel the need to book specialty at the time.

First and foremost, RCI is a business. They can and will do whatever they feel is necessary to position themselves to make the most money. That's fine. They can do what they want. I will continue to seek out the cruises that interest me, my budget, and my interests. More than likely, most of them will continue to be on RCI because that's what we prefer, but we will also be seeking out other options once we move to FL. And that has always been my plan.

Interesting poll results so far. Seems a majority could care less about the changes.

RCI has changed a lot over the years. This is nothing new. Most changes they do work well in doing what they are intended to do. Gain more customers / guests. If the cruise line loses 1 loyal customer but gains 3 new customers they win. Other markets are very important to expanding the product.

I saw many of the same complaints when Oasis and Allure came out. Some how those ships succeeded enough to justify the expense of another ship.

The 1st world complaints are entertaining nonetheless so please complain away. :p

I really do not care what the poll shows one way or another and all this dissecting of the poll numbers proves nothing. In the end you choose what works best for you and for me I choose what I like and what I can afford end of story.

I sure hope they do not hire Ron Johnson to fill Adam Goldstein's former position as President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International.:eek:

Now that you mention it LuvBNatC, there's more to compare the Royal Caribbean changes to JCPenney. In addition to the boutiques (Dynamic Dining), they eliminated sales and coupons in favor of "Everyday Low Prices". C&A Savings Certificates have now been eliminated.

(My biggest problem with JCP under that CEO was that my size wasn't in stock. Now that he's gone and they reinstate the previous CEO, they have my size and I now continue to shop there.)

As for targeting a younger, hipper clientele with Dynamic Dining; it's a load of garbage. The real reason is to get people into eating at specialty restaurants, especially the extra $$$ ones. Other than Johnny Rockets for dinner on the first night of my first cruise, I do not eat at the extra $$$ restaurants for dinner. I enjoy the company of my tablemates at dinner in the MDR, and the menus elsewhere for an additional charge do not impress me. By taking away the MDR, Royal Caribbean is banking on more people eating at $$$ restaurants since choices are limited to 4 non-suite complimentary restaurants with limited niche menus that may not be appealing to some passengers. At least the MDR has a different menu each night of the cruise, along with classics to cater to most peoples' tastes.

Excellent you broke the so called Dynamic dining code.No way would we sail on one of those Amusement parks of the seas.We only dine in the MDR. :)

First and foremost, RCI is a business. They can and will do whatever they feel is necessary to position themselves to make the most money. That's fine. They can do what they want. I will continue to seek out the cruises that interest me, my budget, and my interests. More than likely, most of them will continue to be on RCI because that's what we prefer, but we will also be seeking out other options once we move to FL. And that has always been my plan.

What you point out is totally true. Moving around ships, even for me who lives in S. Florida is good. Our first cruise was in 2004 on Navigator, and we did not appreciate the experience as much as we could have, simply because we were just felt overwhelmed by her. Now having cruised many more times, we will get a chance to cruise her again, with her return to a S. Florida port in the future.

We haven't been able to add extra days to vacations, to do cruising from other ports -- which would involve air transportation- very often. We did it last year a S. Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico.

I really do not care what the poll shows one way or another and all this dissecting of the poll numbers proves nothing. In the end you choose what works best for you and for me I choose what I like and what I can afford end of story.

Perfect Statement!icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

What you point out is totally true. Moving around ships, even for me who lives in S. Florida is good. Our first cruise was in 2004 on Navigator, and we did not appreciate the experience as much as we could have, simply because we were just felt overwhelmed by her. Now having cruised many more times, we will get a chance to cruise her again, with her return to a S. Florida port in the future.

We haven't been able to add extra days to vacations, to do cruising from other ports -- which would involve air transportation- very often. We did it last year a S. Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico.

Welcome neighbor we live in Sunrise we did the opposite we did two radiance class ships before cruising on NOS and we were ready for it since then we have cruised NOS three times it is our favorite ship and are so glad she is coming back to Ft Lauderdale I also like that the Seranade is also sailing out of Ft Lauderdale two great choices.

We don't do the Caribbean any longer and we don't sail on anything bigger than Voyager class so none of this effects us.

Though we sail with Celebrity, too, and did our first (and probably last) Azamara Club cruise this year, RCI is still our favorite line.

Actually....it proves not everyone agrees with that view.

At least 20% of the respondents indicated they cared enough to voice an alternative view.

Clearly there are plenty of people who are not happy with this past week's announcement (the Internet is rampant with other polls, posts, and blogs on this topic as well.

Feel free to ignore it...oh wait...you already posted.

So maybe its just time to get back to sailing...only plenty of folks will now be rethinking with whom...

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Actually....it proves not everyone agrees with that view.

At least 20% of the respondents indicated they cared enough to voice an alternative view.

Clearly there are plenty of people who are not happy with this past week's announcement (the Internet is rampant with other polls, posts, and blogs on this topic as well.

Feel free to ignore it...oh wait...you already posted.

So maybe its just time to get back to sailing...only plenty of folks will now be rethinking with whom...

Lol, you just mad your in the minority :D

I hope they NEVER put the big ships in San Juan. Because of their size, they'd be limited to only the big ports - most of which they currently visit on the eastern routes out of Florida. We'd lose the smaller (and in my book, FAR more interesting ports) like Dominica and St. Kitts.

From a totally selfish perspective, I prefer the small ships and was a little disappointed that they've swapped the Jewel and Adventure itineraries. I would have preferred the Adventure itinerary on the Jewel. I'll probably go Jewel... more of the SEA!!!

Can't freedom class do theses ports? We sailed on mariner many times and enjoyed that class too...I'm just not crazy about oats...the metal enclosed balconies....I would love to sail to a different port at least once but I want it on a newer ship ;)