Packing with Travel Accessories & Toiletries?

frawnsay

Preparing for our first cruise (7-nights). Been reviewing lots of tips and advice.

I don't have a large toiletries accessory bag and am wondering if it would be a good purchase. I've seen them with...

-hanging hook/hanger

-detachable pockets

-lots of little pockets

-few main large pockets

-zipper closures

-Velcro closures

Also have reviewed using these for accessories (jewelry, small electronics, undergarments) beyond the use of toiletries.

Any advice or experience to share? What do you use?

Thanks!

I pack my toiletries in smaller bags. I put like products together. But when on the ship I place a bag/rack? I don't have the right name for it. But it has a hook that I place on the inside of the bathroom door. The shoe storage unit is clear (in the frount). I place my toiletries in the spot where the shoes would have gone. I do this because the bathrooms don't have enought storage for me.

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/over-the-door-clear-shoe-organizer

Edited by geocruiser

I use 'various' bags I have gathered over the years - I have a couple for makeup - one with a 'separate' compartment with 'holders' for my makeup brushes....

Also one for the bathroom - washing up/face stuff, etc. Another has hair products, another body stuff and sunscreens.

Something I do now is instead of 'decanting' my fave stuff or getting travel sizes- I keep an eye on it and when the bottle/jar is about 3/4 empty or just full enuf for about 8-10 days of use I put it away (in a ziplock) and use it for traveling - I have just enuf product to get me thru a cruise then I just chuck the bottle when I'm done at the end.

Also gives me some extra space/weight in my luggage for the way home!

I travel a lot on business too, and out of all the bags I've tried, my favourite is from LLBean: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=203-GN1&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium I have the medium size and it's perfect for a week or two (even though they say that size is recommended for a few days - maybe they mean if it's for a family?) I don't put full-sized bottles in there, though - I use travel-sized bottles for everything. I've purchased leak-proof Nalgene containers (like these http://www.rei.com/product/852369/nalgene-travel-bottle-kit-6-piece) that I can refill with my shampoo etc.

I love the strong hook for hanging it on shower curtain rods or door hooks; I find that the most important feature of a toiletry bag.

Sounds like alot of trouble. Will you be checking bags or not? That's the question! If you are doing only carry-on, then ANYTHING liquid/gel, etc.. has to be in a 1 qt. ziploc....

Otherwise, pack what you want....you don't need all those "over the door" thingys....there is ample counter and storage space.

I have used several different types of toiletry kits throughout the years.

Lately I've been using two 'pockets' from a $1 five pack picked up in the San Fransico Chinatown. The largest is about 6 inches across.

One holds my bathroom 'needs', the other holds other daily needs that can be done outside the bathroom-hair gel, etc.

Anything that is a 'what if' goes into a slightly larger bag that also holds extra flashlights, sewing kit, mirror, tweezers etc.

Meds go into a different bag.

For me, it is easier to pack in several bags than one large bag. The smaller bags can fit into the odd holes that always seem to come about when packing.

I like using smaller bags to give me better flexibility with my packing.

I also do this. Usually I have a "night" bag and a "morning" bag for toiletries used only at those times. Another would have just-in-case meds. Another daily meds. Etc. For me, being able to stuff those bags in whatever corners around my packing cubes makes more sense.

How do you travel for other trips? Do what makes sense for you.

I have lots of bags of various sizes & fabrics I've gathered over the years, and I use what is most appropriate for my trip, what I'll be bringing & how much I'm packing to decide what to carry.

I personally rarely travel with my large shower kit with a hook any more. Takes up too much space and I don't use the hanging feature anyway.

I'm another one that prefers several small "bags" over one larger one. They are much easier to "tuck" into those small, empty spaces in my suitcase. I store them in my suitcase all the time, since I travel frequently, and replenish after each trip.

Another vote for small bags. I put like items in ziplocks or small make up bags. It makes it easier to fit them in small spaces in the suitcase and helps keep unpacking more organized. Plus, if something breaks or opens, any mess is contained in the ziplocks.

We travel often so I always keep my toiletry kit stocked.

I love my Rick Steeve toiletry bag. I bought the inner hanging piece that can be hung on the shower head or shower rod for shower items. (DH and DD have the same bag in different colors)

I have several smaller cosmetic-type bags which I take as needed--OTC meds, laundry/sewing kit, misc such as scissors, corkscrew, can opener, glasses cleaner...) and one for makeup.

I use go toob refillable containers for shampoo conditioner and face wash. They last just the few days past two weeks I generally need.

As for bathroom space, it depends--we've only cruised Carnival and Princess--and Princess had a lot more storage and counter space.

Since we do travel a lot, though, I'll say hotel rooms are more likely to have a place to hang my bag than to put stuff on the counters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I fill my 3-1-1 bag first, and then use quart-sized or sandwich-sized bags to pack by categories. All non-liquid zip-top bags are nestled in a bag suitable to use onboard ship. My (mineral) makeup currently lives in a small metallic bag suitable to carry to dinner as a clutch. It was fun during our last cruise to pop my S&S card and a lippy in a different tiny bag each night. All bags go in the inner pockets of my personal item (diaper bag) and the larger inside area is used to house my flat-iron, a change of clothes, sleepwear, sandals, and swimwear.

Thanks to a post here on CC, I've used a diaper bag as my traveling personal item for the last few years and the pockets around the inside perimeter are perfect for holding my zip-top bags. We also travel. A. Lot. 2-3 days every week from March-October is spent at the lake and my bag is always in my car for any impromptu mid-week visits that may occur, so I know this system works best for me. YMMV

Because of back pain, I'm one of those people that travels carry-on only with a spreadsheet too. Sheesh! Some days I think I'm truly mental. But it's fun in my little world!

Because of back pain, I'm one of those people that travels carry-on only with a spreadsheet too. Sheesh! Some days I think I'm truly mental. But it's fun in my little world!

I would think that a carryon would be worse for back pain, and having a rollable bag that didn't have to be lifted would be better. No?

I've always used a travel bag like the ones sold by LLBean (except for my 311 bags & mineral makeup) because I like everything in one place when I pack & unpack. It holds an amazing amount of stuff but does take up room in the suit case so the responses about smaller bags are giving me something to think about as I plan the packing for our 14 day Alaska cruise/land tour. I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive about packing. :D

Mary Lou

I received this as a birthday gift. I dont know if I would have bought it for myself but after using it for many trips I would totally give this as a gift. I almost want another one.

One of the neat features is there is Velcro that holds down each clear segment down to the larger piece. If you need just one part you can detach it. It is clear so you see the contents of each sections. It keeps all my makeup and little bits organized.

Since space is limited It is nice not having to lay out my huge makeup bag on the counter.

joy-mangano-biggest-and-best-better-beauty-case-set-eve-d-2013072216083161~248352_alt4.jpgJoy Mangano beauty case sold by HSN

http://www.hsn.com/products/joy-mangano-biggest-and-best-better-beauty-case-set-eve/7093463

travel.jpg.f0ab5b9241c4c15ce56e559867da5350.jpg

One of the neat features is there is Velcro that holds down each clear segment down to the larger piece. If you need just one part you can detach it. It is clear so you see the contents of each sections. It keeps all my makeup and little bits organized.

joy-mangano-biggest-and-best-better-beauty-case-set-eve-d-2013072216083161~248352_alt4.jpgJoy Mangano beauty case sold by HSN

This is what I found and wondered if it would be worth it. Though a different brand, it was at a discount department store for just $12. I liked how each compartment detached as well. I can use little bags/compartments for packing, but it all attaches once at my destination.

So, is this product a good choice?

This is what I found and wondered if it would be worth it. Though a different brand, it was at a discount department store for just $12. I liked how each compartment detached as well. I can use little bags/compartments for packing, but it all attaches once at my destination.

just yesterday was watching hsn video of those purple joy mangano bags - really neat ideas !!

which store did you find something similar for $12 ??

What might be a good choice for you is not a good choice for me (ETA- darn, didn't mean that sound nasty, sorry:( ) . Meaning everyone has their own way of packing. Some like having everything together and others do not mind having things apart.

For me (and me alone) I find those big things too cumbersome to pack around, kindof like men's sneakers. What is good about that one is that if you do not like the outer part you could use the pack the compartments on their own.

Edited by SadieN

just yesterday was watching hsn video of those purple joy mangano bags - really neat ideas !!

which store did you find something similar for $12 ??

I didn't respond, as I was out purchasing said item after I put my little ones to bed. It was at Marshall's/TJ Maxx/HomeGoods...and still there $12.99!

It's four triangular cylinders (prisms) with zipper closures that all velcro to a home base mat, if you will. I can pack it rolled up or detach the four compartments, as advised by previous posts, and place in small spaces in luggage.

Thanks so much, everyone!:D

I would think that a carryon would be worse for back pain, and having a rollable bag that didn't have to be lifted would be better. No?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a tendency to give too much detail usually and was trying for brevity. I do use a rolling carry-on bag AND a diaper bag piggy-backed on top as my personal item or purse. Once on the plane, it's one lift and done for the roller and the diaper bag fits under the seat.

OP Frawnsay, I'm glad you found what will work for you. Happy, safe travels!

I didn't respond, as I was out purchasing said item after I put my little ones to bed. It was at Marshall's/TJ Maxx/HomeGoods...and still there $12.99!

It's four triangular cylinders (prisms) with zipper closures that all velcro to a home base mat, if you will. I can pack it rolled up or detach the four compartments, as advised by previous posts, and place in small spaces in luggage.

Thanks so much, everyone!:D

Great find!

So glad to see that people like those. Wouldn't pay a big price for them just to try but also saw some at TJMaxx this week in two different sizes for $12.99. Didn't buy because don't like beige but now will check Marshall's for brighter colors! Thanks for the confirmation of them being handy as they look!

I just use my old-school, box-shaped, waterproof, toiletry bag. It has a zip-around lid that has a soft handle on top. I keep it stocked at all times and replace any product/item that I've used up as soon as I return home from wherever I've traveled to. I put all my body products, hair products, dental products, etc. in separate Ziploc bags inside the toiletry bag. That way when I unpack on the cruise or hotel...I just pull out the Ziploc bags as I need them. I've been doing this for years and it works perfectly for me. It does take up most of one corner of my suitcase, but it's a must for me. I know that I'm able to keep it in the bottom of my suitcase, in one of the corners, and then I know I can just pile up my rolled-up tees on top. It came with two other cosmetic-type, zipped bags that match it. In one of them I put odds and ins, earplugs, travel-sized lint brush, tiny sewing kit, etc. In the other smaller one, I put a couple of pens, a highliter, a few paper clips, and a small scotch tape dispenser. The whole kit and caboodle works for me every cruise/land trip.:D After years and years of traveling...I've got it done to a science! LOL!

I just use my old-school, box-shaped, waterproof, toiletry bag. It has a zip-around lid that has a soft handle on top. I keep it stocked at all times and replace any product/item that I've used up as soon as I return home from wherever I've traveled to. I put all my body products, hair products, dental products, etc. in separate Ziploc bags inside the toiletry bag. That way when I unpack on the cruise or hotel...I just pull out the Ziploc bags as I need them. I've been doing this for years and it works perfectly for me. It does take up most of one corner of my suitcase, but it's a must for me. I know that I'm able to keep it in the bottom of my suitcase, in one of the corners, and then I know I can just pile up my rolled-up tees on top. It came with two other cosmetic-type, zipped bags that match it. In one of them I put odds and ins, earplugs, travel-sized lint brush, tiny sewing kit, etc. In the other smaller one, I put a couple of pens, a colored highlighter, a few paper clips, a small scotch tape dispenser, a few rubber bands, and a child's size pair of scissors. The whole kit and caboodle works for me every cruise/land trip.:D After years and years of traveling...I've got it done to a science! LOL!