Kids allowed at Elite breakfast and cocktail hour?

cruiser77

They (suite guests) are generating high income for the cruise lines and so they would want to maintain their high yield as opposed to the 'odd repeater - low income' (not most repeaters), that complain, yet still return to the fold because of their status (as Jenna109 stated above). Basically, it's a win win situation for them.

Some suite guests are first time cruisers. Many who receive perks such as comped drinks, cruise several times a year.. some even for 10 to 20 cruises a year. A suite cruiser might generate high income on one cruise but repeat cruisers are not the "odd repeater". The repeat cruiser who complains are those who have cruised often enough to remember a wonderful experience that the one off in a suite does not.

I don't know why, but I don't think I will ever get over the, "I DO WHAT I WANT!" crowd, who do not care what the rules are as they do not apply to them. It actually drives me nutes.

To those same people, who insist on bringing their little darlings into adult only labeled events/areas, I ask this. What do you say when there is an adult hanging out in the children or teens area on the ship (ie. Fun Factory). What if this adult said, "but I just love being around childen! I'm just hanging out here being well behaved. How am I impacting you?" It's literally the same thing. Personally, I would find this extremely creepy and wonder if there was something wrong with the person. Especially when adults are not meant to be there.

On the flip side, I wonder what is wrong with those that do not follow stated policies because they "DO WHAT I WANT!" Next time you want to bring kids into a stated adult only area, think about the adults hanging out in the children's only area. I would hope you would have an equal problem with both scenarios...

Edited by Classynfun1

I find it interesting that some of the same people who condemned Celebrity's new suite program because it is taking away public space, limiting their rights, creating a 2nd class cruiser etc., want to prohibit kids from accessing certain areas of the ship. While I would not likely take my daughter to the event, I should have the right to if I have Elite status and I'm permitted by Celebrity to take my daughter.

Finally, on these sorts of threads, someone always pulls out some horror story. Kids eating crackers and a teen complaining about soda options -- the horror, the horror. Next time survey the room. I'm sure half the people are complaining and half the tables look like a tornado hit them.

I don't know why, but I don't think I will ever get over the, "I DO WHAT I WANT!" crowd, who do not care what the rules are as they do not apply to them. It actually drives me nutes.

To those same people, who insist on bringing their little darlings into adult only labeled events/areas, I ask this. What do you say when there is an adult hanging out in the children or teens area on the ship (ie. Fun Factory). What if this adult said, "but I just love being around childen! I'm just hanging out here being well behaved. How am I impacting you?" It's literally the same thing. Personally, I would find this extremely creepy and wonder if there was something wrong with the person. Especially when adults are not meant to be there.

On the flip side, I wonder what is wrong with those that do not follow stated policies because they "DO WHAT I WANT!" Next time you want to bring kids into a stated adult only area, think about the adults hanging out in the children's only area. I would hope you would have an equal problem with both scenarios...

Sometimes I think that we forget these rules are not statutes or laws. These are rules set by a corporation. Some are way more important than the other. Who gets access to an elite event has to be at the bottom of the importance scale. The corporation, in its discretion, has the right to make exception or interpret the rules as they see fit.

I also wonder that the proponents who see this issue as black and white follow "all" the rules/policies while on board the ship. The reality in life is that we are always breaking the rules (speeding, jaywalking etc.).

Sometimes I think that we forget these rules are not statutes or laws. These are rules set by a corporation. Some are way more important than the other. Who gets access to an elite event has to be at the bottom of the importance scale. The corporation, in its discretion, has the right to make exception or interpret the rules as they see fit.

I also wonder that the proponents who see this issue as black and white follow "all" the rules/policies while on board the ship. The reality in life is that we are always breaking the rules (speeding, jaywalking etc.).

I'm not talking about the corporation making changes to stated policies. that would be within their right, and would give me and other cruisers ample time to review and decide for myself how to procede (live with it or go some place else). I'm talking about passengers who fail to adhere to said stated policies and do whatever they want. You know, the "me, me, me" crowd. :rolleyes:

As for following other rules on the ship, yes I do. I always follow the stated dress code, use services at the time they are provided (vs asking for special accomadation), etc. Also, I sail exculsively in suites (unless none are available for a last minute booking) and understand that children are allowed in that lounge provided they are suite guests. Fine with me, unless, like any other passenger of any age, they are being inapporpriate. I have no problems following all the rules and understanding exactly what is available to me and others in the same situation.

Edited by Classynfun1

My 9 year old daughter would be elite on X if she were 18 and she has been invited to both the cocktail hour and the breakfast by Celebrity staff. Since there is no kids program available from 5 to 7 pm it has actually allowed us to attend the cocktail hour prior to dinner. She typically reads while we are there and considers it down time. If she were doing anything that bothered other passengers I would be the first to remove her just as I would in the dining room, pool or any other part of the ship.

[quote name='~Cruisenut~']Some suite guests are first time cruisers. Many who receive perks such as comped drinks, cruise several times a year.. some even for 10 to 20 cruises a year. A suite cruiser might generate high income on one cruise but repeat cruisers are not the "odd repeater". The repeat cruiser who complains are those who have cruised often enough to remember a wonderful experience that the one off in a suite does not.[/QUOTE]

So you think that more income is generated from those that are able to take 10 or even 20 cruises per year (more than likely retired to be able to take that much vacation time), probably last minute cabins at low prices out of season (according to CC posts), than those families that sail in suites 2 or 3 times a year during high season (higher prices due to demand) school vacation times? Obviously, that's why, according to a previous poster, Jo Rzymowska is targeting affluent families :rolleyes:.

Your post also implies that you no longer have a wonderful experience cruising with X: ' to [U]remember[/U] a wonderful experience'? Will this stop you from sailing on X in the future then, or does your status mean that you will stay with the line? If it's the latter, then, as my previous post stated, the cruse line still has that win win situation ;). If not, then you become that first timer on the new line spending more money (winner for the new line).

Btw, we do abide by the rules as probably do the majority of cruisers ;). There will always be some that think they are exceptions to the rule in every walk of life - the rum runners, the people who take food off the ship, passengers who jump queues, the theatre seat savers, the sun lounger hogs, passengers that take photos during the shows, balcony smokers - and that's just a few examples of cruise rules broken on a weekly basis, and I'm sure not all of them have kids ;).

[quote name='Ma Bell']Would there be anything called an Elite function if you had to pay for the drinks? By definition these are "perks" and it wouldn't be likely that they would charge for a party that is supposed to be a loyalty reward.[/QUOTE]

So would elite cruisers not go to a elite event just to share an evening with similar status similar interest cruisers? I had always assumed that it was the exclusivity that was the attraction and that was why it's rules were being so jealously guarded. If the elite/private nature of the party is not enough and it's all about the free drinks then I find it much more difficult to be sympathetic about it being interrupted by any X sanctioned infringement of the rules. Particularly given that the kids are not exactly going to move in on the free drink!

If that attitude prevails amongst the suite guests then it seems to put the kibosh on the celebrity concept of a suites only bar/lounge. I had not understood that suite guests would receive free food/drinks in the new lounge? May be I am wrong in this? But if not then working by the above criteria no one would turn up just to mingle with people of the same 'status' and it will be a bit of a flop. Or do ' high wealth' suite guests act differently from 'high mileage' elite guests? (Some of them must be the same people??):confused: Edited by scifimonkey

[quote name='scifimonkey']So you would elite cruisers not go to a elite event just to share an evening with similar status similar interest cruisers? I had always assumed that it was the exclusivity that was the attraction and that was why it's rules were being so jealously guarded. If the elite/private nature of the party is not enough and it's all about the free drinks then I find it much more difficult to be sympathetic about it being interrupted by any X sanctioned infringement of the rules. Particularly given that the kids are not exactly going to move in on the free drink!

If that attitude prevails amongst the suite guests then it seems to put the kibosh on the celebrity concept of a suites only bar/lounge. I had not understood that suite guests would receive free food/drinks in the new lounge? May be I am wrong in this? But if not then working by the above criteria no one would turn up just to mingle with people of the same 'status' and it will be a bit of a flop. Or do ' high wealth' suite guests act differently from 'high mileage' elite guests? (Some of them must be the same people??):confused:[/quote]

For the Elite party, I think you will find that the reason for attendance is different depending on the person. Some want the free items, some like the ambiance of the space, others like meeting like people, etc. Of course, the Elite breakfasts and cocktail hours are also scheduled so that the only time Elites can take advantage of these perks are during regularly scheduled hours. For the suite lounges, the lounges are always available to suite guests (to come and go), include a suite guest only concierge/host (different from Captain's Club), and yes, food and drink are "free" (I argue that I already paid for them, but yes).

I would say that both spaces have a different 'feel" (one is a permanent space, one not after all). Yes, often people could have the option to use either lounge based on their stateroom and their status. Just remember, for suite guests, there is a dedicate lounge all the time and for some, that is reason enough to just go there. Edited by Classynfun1

[quote name='scifimonkey']So you would elite cruisers not go to a elite event just to share an evening with similar status similar interest cruisers? I had always assumed that it was the exclusivity that was the attraction and that was why it's rules were being so jealously guarded. If the elite/private nature of the party is not enough and it's all about the free drinks then I find it much more difficult to be sympathetic about it being interrupted by any X sanctioned infringement of the rules. Particularly given that the kids are not exactly going to move in on the free drink!

If that attitude prevails amongst the suite guests then it seems to put the kibosh on the celebrity concept of a suites only bar/lounge. I had not understood that suite guests would receive free food/drinks in the new lounge? May be I am wrong in this? But if not then working by the above criteria no one would turn up just to mingle with people of the same 'status' and it will be a bit of a flop. Or do ' high wealth' suite guests act differently from 'high mileage' elite guests? (Some of them must be the same people??):confused:[/QUOTE]

Your premise is flawed. Do you have a party without providing refreshments for your guests? I don't know anyone who does that. Yes, drinks and snacks are provided in the suite/VIP lounge as well. Have you ever been to a hotel with a concierge lounge that doesn't provide refreshments for it's customers?

There are people who enjoy the free drinks and are not particularly sociable and there are people who are sociable but don't really care about the drinks. There are some who enjoy both. There are also plenty of people who are qualified to attend these events who don't because they want to spend their time elsewhere and may want a drink that's not offered at the parties. The frequent cruisers are the same kinds of people as new cruisers, they just happen to have more cruises under their belts.

None of this is really a big deal but it seems that some of the people who are not frequent cruisers have some unusual ideas about what goes on. I don't meet many people who are worried about anyone's status, in fact it's just not part of any conversation I hear. Worrying about what others may have really doesn't bring anything positive into ones life. It's much more fun to just enjoy what you have when you have it.

The point I was trying to get at was that I do not really attend a the business class lounge at the airport or the elite events or the suite facilities for the freebies and I do not expect any of them to be adult only spaces, only that all those in them of whatever age act accordingly to the environment. I therefore have no issue if a host uses their judgement to bend the rules for the benefit and convenience of a fellow passenger as long as if their judgement proves wrong they then do something about it ( assuming the parents have not already done so which we certainly would!) It's much more about the ambiance, convenience, the company (hopefully good and interesting)and service in the facility for me and if that is not compromised I have difficulty seeing the problem that others raise. It sounded however from some of the posts that that the free drinks were the primary driver and this seemed at odds with the desire to keep them exclusive of children - to get back to the OP.

Most people to are not me, me, me, people and most people are prepared to allow latitude on rules as long as it has no big impact on them, it just seems that for some people the mere sight of a child in what they determine should be an adult domain brings on an allergic reaction and it is those people I have some difficulty with. Whilst they are perfectly entitled to their opinions, they do seem at times to have a disproportionately large voice on these boards.
If you have spent a lot of time and effort and in some cases money on bringing up and educating your children to be comfortable and to know how to behave in all settings and company's then the knee jerk and simplistic response of some posters who portray all children as all being 15 seconds from a tantrum or some form of misbehaviour is a red rag. Hence my strong feelings and probably some of the other parents/ grandparents posting here.
Most of us simply want to spend as much time with our families as possible and probably regret not being able to spend more time with our families outside of holidays. It's not about dumping them off to the kids club or climbing walls or water slides it's about spending quality time together and sharing together all the experiences that the cruise has to offer. I can therefore absolutely understand why some might wish their children to attend elite events with them and the older they get the more this is likely to be the case. Maybe in the US the sight of children in a drinking environment is not very common and that unnerves some US passengers? In Europe the sight of families in pubs and wine bars and brasseries is commonplace and maybe that influences my and some of the other posters acceptance of the presence of well behaved children.
I cannot however see why anyone gets hot under the collar about breakfast events? That to me is completely unfathomable in fact I cannot understand why X put any restriction on breakfast events let alone why they should turn families of elite passengers away. Edited by scifimonkey

I have no problem at all with children being anywhere if they are well behaved. We've taken our children and grandchildren on many cruises.

That being said, if someone says it's supposed to be an adult only venue, I wouldn't consider bringing mine with me. I'd rather spend the time with them too and I'd sure rather spend the time in a venue where they are supposed to be rather than upsetting people who do go to a venue expecting an adult environment. It's really simple. Just don't go to the lounge and spend the time with your family. It's a very easy choice for me. There are so many other places to go.

[quote name='cdbaum']My 9 year old daughter would be elite on X if she were 18 and she has been invited to both the cocktail hour and the breakfast by Celebrity staff. Since there is no kids program available from 5 to 7 pm it has actually allowed us to attend the cocktail hour prior to dinner. She typically reads while we are there and considers it down time. If she were doing anything that bothered other passengers I would be the first to remove her just as I would in the dining room, pool or any other part of the ship.[/QUOTE]

From experience make sure you save sea passes or something to prove your daughter was on the cruises. Celebrity's records are not always correct and computer systems change.

Fact # 1, I love kids, have two of them,

Fact # 2, if its posted that kids under 18 are not permitted after a certain time in certain areas, than that should be sufficient.

On our last cruise after the nightly show, we decided to go to Quasar because they were playing 80's music. There were 3 or 4 teens (between 14 and 16 I would say) in there, dancing at times, and it was about 11:30pm. I'm pretty sure that there were adults with them. Now, I have to say when I go for a drink and a dance after hours I do not want to compete for dance floor space with teens, sorry, I just don't enjoy that atmosphere. Even the DJ had a problem with it because he announced the "only over 18 were supposed to be in the bar, but it didn't make any difference to the "its our cruise" crowd. Why do some people feel that they are exempt from the guidelines and rules that everyone else are supposed to follow.

[quote name='scifimonkey']It sounded however from some of the posts that that the free drinks were the primary driver and this seemed at odds with the desire to keep them exclusive of children - to get back to OP.[/QUOTE]

Nail and head comes to mind :rolleyes:. If it was the case just about the quiet adult times, then Michael's wouldn't be being converted into a suite only lounge because it's under utilised.

Some children (more so on Royal than X because of their official point count, even though some children obviously do have CC numbers and cards) have accumulated more points and sailings than some adults sitting there for the whole nightly duration of the happy hours (no qualms there as they are perfectly within their rights) and are not able to have even one free soda, let alone sit down. Furthermore, their parents are also not able to attend the event because the kids clubs do not start until after 7/8pm (depending on age) and they probably have early dinner anyway. But, hey, we stick by the rules and are flamed if one dare mentions children (take the OP who only asked what the protocol was, not that they intended to take their child/ren into the event :eek:). Let's hope Royal and X don't change the format in the Diamond and Elite lounges like they did with the CL - Andy would be mighty busy ;).

[quote name='SixOneTwo']I just want to say that I'm a proud odd-repeater. :D[/QUOTE]

Think I'll get the copy writes on that. I'm definitely an 'odd repeater' :D.

Don,

Perhaps we can ask some of the posters on here to verify the presence of our kids should Celebrity query any sailings :rolleyes:?

[quote name='villauk']Nail and head comes to mind :rolleyes:. If it was the case just about the quiet adult times, then Michael's wouldn't be being converted into a suite only lounge because it's under utilised.

Don,

Perhaps we can ask some of the posters on here to verify the presence of our kids should Celebrity query any sailings :rolleyes:?[/QUOTE]

Sorry but they are very strict, they won't even accept our word that they were on the cruises. My son and daughter should both be Elite but Celebrity won't accept four cruises they were on with us to Bermuda in the early 90s even though I presented proof they were on the cruises with us. Its a long story, I've been corresponding for at least five years with them.

I even presented the CC hostess on one of the ships with pictures on the deck of the Horizon in St. George Harbor in Bermuda and named the employees in the picture. She sent them to Miami who would not accept them as proof the kids were on the ship. By the way they were standing in front of a life saving item that said Horizon. Also submitted their CC cards with their names on them and five digit numbers, which is a long time ago. That would prove they were on two cruises prior to having the cards since at the time you could not join CC unless you had previously been on a cruise. Edited by dkjretired

"Thou shall not take kids to an elite event" is not one of the ten commandments that can't be broken. This rule or policy does not pertain to safety of passengers, restrict criminal activities or protect the environment. However, some posters have elevated this rule to this level. If a parent asks a hostess or other officer on the ship for permission to have his/her family to attend an elite club event and is granted permission, I have no issue with this at all. The staff should always have a level of discretion to make a call. That is good business practice. At the same time, the parents should determine if this would be a good setting for their children.

On the other hand, maybe as a father I wouldn't want to expose my daughter to this toxic environment that I now envision after reading all these comments.

[quote name='parallax']"Thou shall not take kids to an elite event" is not one of the ten commandments that can't be broken. This rule or policy does not pertain to safety of passengers, restrict criminal activities or protect the environment. However, some posters have elevated this rule to this level. If a parent asks a hostess or other officer on the ship for permission to have his/her family to attend an elite club event and is granted permission, I have no issue with this at all. The staff should always have a level of discretion to make a call. That is good business practice. At the same time, the parents should determine if this would be a good setting for their children.

On the other hand, maybe as a father I wouldn't want to expose my daughter to this toxic environment that I now envision after reading all these comments.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I agree with this or not. As long as the same "change" in the rules is applied to all, then that's fine. However, if the next night someone brings their child (or asks if they can bring their child) and they are turned away while your child is allowed in, that's wrong (at least in my book). Of course you may not care about this happening because your child was allowed in.

I've said many times in this endless thread that as long as the same rules are applied to everyone, I don't care if this policy is followed or changed on board.
I just have an aversion to "special" people or those who don't care about others feelings...the "me" folks. Celebrity can make a decision to let all well behaved children in or none...don't give me/us any of this "they were cute" or "they were in a suite" suite stuff. Edited by ghstudio

[quote name='ghstudio']I'm not sure if I agree with this or not. As long as the same "change" in the rules is applied to all, then that's fine. However, if the next night someone brings their child (or asks if they can bring their child and they are turned away while your child is allowed in, that's wrong (at least in my book). Of course you may not care about this happening because your child was allowed in.

I've said many times in this endless thread that as long as the same rules are applied to everyone, I don't care if this policy is followed or changed on board.

I just have an aversion to "special" people or those who don't care about others feelings...the "me" folks. Celebrity can make a decision to let all well behaved children in or none...don't give me/us any of this "they were cute" or "they were in a suite" suite stuff.[/QUOTE]

Perfectly said, as usual!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always find it interesting that those who flaunt the age rules have kids who are ALWAYS well behaved? It's the same notion on every cruise board. These perfect kids are always mature, polite, quiet, respectful and earn all A's in school despite being pulled out of school for these trips.

Well, I'm not one of those parents who see their kids through rose colored glasses. Our boys were boys, and they could get into trouble with the best of them. With that said, we would never bring them into any adult venue no matter what---and we booked suites. If something is adults only, that's the way it should be and no exceptions should be made for any young darling no matter how well behaved mommy and daddy might see them.

Isn't the term "well-behaved" completely and utterly subjective? And doesn't it really depend on the kids' normal state of behavior?

We often hear about how "great the waiter was with my child," lavishing special treatment on him/her because s/he was the only child in the room. When servers and event-goers start patronizing the little one and the situation devolves into "all about the child in the room," then the event suddently has a different atmosphere. It's not an adult event anymore, it's now a child-admiring event, with people cooing and condescending, changing their relation and communication to that level, etc... I see this time and time again. It's not what I expect at an adults-only situation.

[quote name='cruisead']I always find it interesting that those who flaunt the age rules have kids who are ALWAYS well behaved? It's the same notion on every cruise board. These perfect kids are always mature, polite, quiet, respectful and earn all A's in school despite being pulled out of school for these trips.

Well, I'm not one of those parents who see their kids through rose colored glasses. Our boys were boys, and they could get into trouble with the best of them. With that said, we would never bring them into any adult venue no matter what---and we booked suites. If something is adults only, that's the way it should be and no exceptions should be made for any young darling no matter how well behaved mommy and daddy might see them.[/quote]

A voice of parental reason! :-)

If the cruise line enforced all of their rules/policies to a T, then it would be a different cruise experience for all. Examples abound, including:

1. The ship does not have an obligation to give an OBC if they miss a port due to weather or ship performance issues, but often do.

2. If the policy was strictly enforced, I couldn't go to bar and get my wife a glass of wine under her card while I got a beer on my card.

3. I couldn't order multiple drinks at one time (beer and water).

4. If you left you pool lounger for 20 minutes to run to your room or grab a drink, the chair should be up for grabs and all articles removed.

The great majority of people on a Celebrity cruise act in a kind a courteous manner and are not the me, me, me type of people that sometimes we witness on a ship. However, we all benefit from deviations from the rules and policies on a ship. Let's not delude ourselves.

As we prepare to take our 6 year old on a 11 day cruise of Italy, we, as parents, are well aware that she will not be a perfect little princess during the whole course of the trip. However, we have the expectation for her to say please and thank you and be mindful of her surroundings. The voice she uses in the MDR is not the same one she can use at the Kids' Club. She needs to adjust to her environment. We see this as an excellent way to strengthen skills.

Finally, in the 9 cruises I have been on, I have might have seen one case of kids acting in an unruly behavior. However, I have, on each cruise, seen on multiple occasions horrible conduct by adults.

[quote name='parallax']If the cruise line enforced all of their rules/policies to a T, then it would be a different cruise experience for all. Examples abound, including:

1. The ship does not have an obligation to give an OBC if they miss a port due to weather or ship performance issues, but often do.

2. If the policy was strictly enforced, I couldn't go to bar and get my wife a glass of wine under her card while I got a beer on my card.

3. I couldn't order multiple drinks at one time (beer and water).

4. If you left you pool lounger for 20 minutes to run to your room or grab a drink, the chair should be up for grabs and all articles removed.

The great majority of people on a Celebrity cruise act in a kind a courteous manner and are not the me, me, me type of people that sometimes we witness on a ship. However, we all benefit from deviations from the rules and policies on a ship. Let's not delude ourselves.

As we prepare to take our 6 year old on a 11 day cruise of Italy, we, as parents, are well aware that she will not be a perfect little princess during the whole course of the trip. However, we have the expectation for her to say please and thank you and be mindful of her surroundings. The voice she uses in the MDR is not the same one she can use at the Kids' Club. She needs to adjust to her environment. We see this as an excellent way to strengthen skills.

Finally, in the 9 cruises I have been on, I have might have seen one case of kids acting in an unruly behavior. However, I have, on each cruise, seen on multiple occasions horrible conduct by adults.[/quote]

1. They never gave any OBC, beyond a couple dollars of port fees, for any ports we've ever missed due to weather and there have been plenty.

2. There are no rules against this. If you think there are then show me.

3. Don't know if there are actually rules against this or not. Do you for certain? (you might have me on this one).

4. If you leave the area for 20 minutes the chair SHOULD go up for grabs and the items removed!!

As for 1, 2 and 3 above: There is a huge difference between rules relating to the ship's profit margin and rules relating to infringing on the rights and expectations of others.

And please don't use the "kids should be able to do anything because I've seen adults misbehave worse then kids" argument. Just because there are idiots who cruise does not mean your kids privileges should be expanded. I never let my kids do stuff they shouldn't just because they behave better than I do! Edited by Crazy Cruzer