Open Passage Concerns (Threads Merged)

Panderie

Well after six days I have had a reply - Good News!

We are glad to let you know that your friends can get the discount applied

to their bookings also. There is a limit of getting the same discount

applied to up to two other bookings. Please know that if your friends need

to book their cruise after you have booked yours. The discount will be

rejected if they have already made a booking for the same cruise. Please

remember to have this done before 30 days after booking your cruise. Please

tell your friends that will make a booking to ask for me to make sure you

do not have other agents rejecting the discount.

I'm glad you got a response.

As a result of the discontentment voiced on this thread, the management is actively discussing how & why there are problems with the Open Passage program, and how to fix these problems.

Again I ask for your patience, and when in doubt, to call or email the ACC Customer Service in your respective countries.

Thanks to all of you for calling our attention to these problems.

B/rgds, Bonnie

I'm glad you got a response.

As a result of the discontentment voiced on this thread, the management is actively discussing how & why there are problems with the Open Passage program, and how to fix these problems.

Again I ask for your patience, and when in doubt, to call or email the ACC Customer Service in your respective countries.

Thanks to all of you for calling our attention to these problems.

B/rgds, Bonnie

That's good to hear Bonnie. Appreciate things aren't always right as many have highlighted but this response shows that your customer's concerns are finally being taken seriously. I for one, look forward to a clear explanation of the correct process that will be followed, when it comes time for us to use our Open Passage Certificate.

I have now had a reply from Azamara, not that it has cleared up the problem, however. (The email address given by Bonnie is for the US office - my email had been forwarded onto the UK office.) All I can say at the moment (as I guess I cannot post the email from Azamara on this board) is that the response did not clear any part of my query, as for some reason they assumed that I had not attempted to use the Open Passage Certificate. I have emailed back in hope of a clearer explanation. Smoke and Mirrors come to mind. But whatever the truth behind it all, I don't think it should be for the customer to search for the solution to the problem.

We are also experiencing similar problems with the UK operation whilst trying to resolve what appears to be a simple issue with the open passage certificates, once resolved we will provide more details

Edited by Haworth

In the UK the responses are cruiseline

tthe big question of the day is why?? I never had a problem in the states. last i checked this in unfair.. the only reason I get them is to pay less fro my deposit. cost of cruise does not change for me.

Bonnie

Thanks for your reply regarding people taking up specific queries re email etc.

Can you just answer 1 question

Has there been any change in Azamara position since Bills understanding quoted in your email above.

"There is no restriction or blackouts."

Yes or No

We can then

1: Order new certificates when on board

2: Advise any recalcitrant TA s or Azamara customer service personnel to seek/question higher authority.

As I have 2 outstanding it would be helpful.

THANKS

Can you just answer 1 question

Has there been any change in Azamara position since Bills understanding quoted in your email above.

"There is no restriction or blackouts."

Yes or No

Have you read the terms and conditions on your Open Passage certificates? The certificates we have are for US and Canadian residents, and contain the following restrictions (can't speak for UK certificates):

Passage Discount is combinable with 2-for-1 pricing, and most OBC and dollars off offers (certain restrictions apply). A Passage booking may not be combined with more than two other OBC and dollars off offers.

Converting an Open Passage account to select restricted fares is prohibited.

The Azamara Passages account balance cannot be used for cruises chartered by third parties and may not be used for certain customized group programs (i.e. Value add groups).

Program is also available for residents of other countries, please contact your onboard Cruise Sales Manager for discount amounts and further details.

Bonnie,

One of the problems (also with Celebrity) stems from the fact that group bookings require a full deposit.

Some people might not know they are in a group but see or receive a quote from an outside agent and then are told they cannot use the Passage.

Even with Celebrity we usually do not get full use of them. For example I had one two years ago and wanted to use it on Celebrity Xpediton to Galapagos. The benefit with Celebrity is OBC, but no OBC are given on Xpedition since it is all inclusive. But, instead of holding onto the passage I made some calls and found out it could be used for the low deposit, but nothing else. We are not taking that trip until this fall, but have only had to pay the $200 deposit so far (until final payment) so did get some benefit. But, I had to make a lot of phone calls just to use it.

On another Celebrity cruise we took earlier this year we wanted to join a group rate but had our agent use the Passage and took a chance that the group (has to be same cabin category) would still be available. We eventually paid the full deposit before the final payment deadline to make sure we got the group rate and benefits, but had to forgo the book on board credit. Celebrity changed their policy last year to allow two promotions. It wasn't suppose to be retroactive but it seems the book on board OBC was eventually added.

But as you can see, it can be a hassle trying to use these Passages.

We did use one on our last Azamara cruise but our agent didn't have a group onboard so it worked out.

Have you read the terms and conditions on your Open Passage certificates? The certificates we have are for US and Canadian residents, and contain the following restrictions (can't speak for UK certificates):

Passage Discount is combinable with 2-for-1 pricing, and most OBC and dollars off offers (certain restrictions apply). A Passage booking may not be combined with more than two other OBC and dollars off offers.

Converting an Open Passage account to select restricted fares is prohibited.

The Azamara Passages account balance cannot be used for cruises chartered by third parties and may not be used for certain customized group programs (i.e. Value add groups).

Program is also available for residents of other countries, please contact your onboard Cruise Sales Manager for discount amounts and further details.

That is the problem. It seems more so in the UK where it is more common to join a group with package rates that include air and hotels.

tthe big question of the day is why?? I never had a problem in the states. last i checked this in unfair.. the only reason I get them is to pay less fro my deposit. cost of cruise does not change for me.

It must since the book on board advantage, besides the low deposit, is dollars off.

Are you sure your invoices do not show a discount?

It must since the book on board advantage, besides the low deposit, is dollars off.

Are you sure your invoices do not show a discount?

i get the discount but my main goal is the lower deposits up front.

We are also experiencing similar problems with the UK operation whilst trying to resolve what appears to be a simple issue with the open passage certificates, once resolved we will provide more details

After numerous return of emails we have got this far:

The cruise we have booked and paid for did qualify for the Open Passage discount, although we were told by 3 different travel agents it did not.

Azamara do not know why they could not apply the Open Passage to our booking.

Azamara look forward to us booking another cruise with them in the future using our Open Passage Certificate(!?).

To ensure that it is applied, in future we should ring the premium rate number and ask for a specific named operator.

Was it £150 well spent?? Am I happy?

After numerous return of emails we have got this far:

The cruise we have booked and paid for did qualify for the Open Passage discount, although we were told by 3 different travel agents it did not.

Azamara do not know why they could not apply the Open Passage to our booking.

Azamara look forward to us booking another cruise with them in the future using our Open Passage Certificate(!?).

To ensure that it is applied, in future we should ring the premium rate number and ask for a specific named operator.

Was it £150 well spent?? Am I happy?

So they didn't apply your OPC to your recently booked cruise retrospectively?

So they didn't apply your OPC to your recently booked cruise retrospectively?

No they did not.

In their final email they said this:

"For future references, please make sure you keep records of who you speak to so that we can see which agents may need a disciplinary process, a warning or to be updated regarding promotional terms & conditions."

No they did not.

In their final email they said this:

"For future references, please make sure you keep records of who you speak to so that we can see which agents may need a disciplinary process, a warning or to be updated regarding promotional terms & conditions."

Ouch Not sure I like the way that final point is made - no mention of supporting the agents with training. I do hope Guatemala is not a shoot on one mistake culture as this will never help the levels of service

Also they are showing a lack of understanding where the issues stem from travel agents - the cruiseline cannot discipline staff at the agents

Edited by uktog

We returned from Quest yesterday and had considered purchasing an Open Passage. However we decided against it on the last day as the posts on here gave me little confidence and made me wonder whether we'd have to forego a large discount to save a small amount. If its usage had been totally clear-cut, we'd have gone for it. For Azamara, the downside of this lack of clarity is that we're not "tied in" to booking another cruise with them.

I see on the Guatemala concerns thread that another CC member eventually had their Open Passage discount applied retrospectively. It might be beneficial to Azamara's public image to treat all customers equally. We will be taking a print out of the email correspondence regarding this matter on our cruise to show to the excellent staff onboard Quest. I think they will be shocked.

I see on the Guatemala concerns thread that another CC member eventually had their Open Passage discount applied retrospectively. It might be beneficial to Azamara's public image to treat all customers equally. We will be taking a print out of the email correspondence regarding this matter on our cruise to show to the excellent staff onboard Quest. I think they will be shocked.

That seem only fair, as, after all, when you purchased the OPC your contract was with Azamara and not the TA, especially as the cruise you booked did qualify for the OPC.

Good luck with this.

It would be good to get an update from Bonnie after she expressed her concerns to the Management.

I was very interested to hear of the "open passage" debate and yes I agree we have also experienced problems with a well known UK TA who was unable to accept this due to an already discounted price.

Firstly just to bring you up to date, my DW & I have completed 7 cruises with Azamara with a future 4 booked and without exception we have used the open passage certificate (obviously not the first cruise). The only agent that refused to accept this certificate is the one own by RCL - crazy!! Shop around or direct, it can work but you have to check and recheck.

I am pleased to report that after E Mail discussions with customer services regarding the on board sale and subsequent "attempt to use" an open passage certificate/certificattes this has now been resolved to our satisfaction.

I am pleased to report that after E Mail discussions with customer services regarding the on board sale and subsequent "attempt to use" an open passage certificate/certificattes this has now been resolved to our satisfaction.

Pleased to hear that you have resolved the issue. We would be very interested to know what Azamara have done to sort out this for you. We have had no resolution ourselves, even more frustrating as our experience led me to introduce this topic on CC and I had hoped at least for an explanation! Still awaiting Bonnie's promised response on this too.

I was very interested to hear of the "open passage" debate and yes I agree we have also experienced problems with a well known UK TA who was unable to accept this due to an already discounted price.

Firstly just to bring you up to date, my DW & I have completed 7 cruises with Azamara with a future 4 booked and without exception we have used the open passage certificate (obviously not the first cruise). The only agent that refused to accept this certificate is the one own by RCL - crazy!! Shop around or direct, it can work but you have to check and recheck.

Our problem appears to stem not from the 3 different travel agents we attempted to use the Open Passage with, but the refusal of Azamara when telephoned by them to combine the Open Passage at the time of booking with a Free Air offer. Subsequently Azamara say that the Open Passage could have been used but have not allowed its retrospective use as the Free Air offer is no longer available, so we would have to pay more to rebook.

Pleased to hear that you have resolved the issue. We would be very interested to know what Azamara have done to sort out this for you. We have had no resolution ourselves, even more frustrating as our experience led me to introduce this topic on CC and I had hoped at least for an explanation! Still awaiting Bonnie's promised response on this too.

Panderie

if we can have an E mail conversation I will happily give you all the details, I can be contacted at

jcfwalker at talk21 dot com

John