What makes HALs room service club sandwich so special?

My doctor would love for me to come back with a few extra pounds, so he won't complain if I eat all of those items on my cruise. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

speaking the truth in love - ---- that is SO NOT funny! sniff....

Just gotta say both my wife both like the club sandwich. It's our "go to" lunch on Glacier Bay day.

Us too! And with some chocolate cake of course :D

Yes, a club sandwich is just the thing, to eat and gaze out from your balcony when you don't want to miss one minute of scenery time.

We love the Club Sandwiches. Well, loved, past tense since being diagnosed with celiac.

I always ordered it with a side of warm cookies and a glass of milk. The perfect lunch after a long morning in port.

Then again, the last time I cruised I was pregnant and room service REALLY took good care of me :D

In my opinion, nothing. The one time I ordered one, it was soggy after being under the dome for a few minutes. The turkey wasn't real. It was pressed deli style meat. I wasn't impressed.

I'll take the one from the diner any day.

Ditto opinion. After three clubs on three different ships I give up. Their Reuben sandwich is also horrible.

I keep seeing people go on and on about the room service club sandwich on HAL. I haven't had one yet. But I'm wondering: What's so special about it, as opposed to your regular club sandwich you can get at any diner?

Thanks!

Where do I begin? I had read a lot of people's posts regarding the Holland America Club Sandwich. I thought to myself, "It's a sandwich with an extra slice of bread down the middle. Sure, they bring it to you, but why would people go on and on about it? It's just a sandwich, right?"

We'll... Let me tell you -

Was that for an Owners Suite?:eek:

There is no owners suite on Hal. That was for a Neptune suite. I know there are people that pay next to nothing for their cruise but it doesn't happen to me. If you live it the port city that would likely help.

I paid $571 per day for my cruise on the westy. That is not a low rate in my mind.

CC - Was that a single fare? Fare for two people? Fare + port taxes? Fare + port taxes + insurance + Patron Margarita, no salt? :) Canadian currency?

Just curious. Our per diem (fare only) was quite a bit less and we booked early and had an SA just outside the Neptune.

CC - Was that a single fare? Fare for two people? Fare + port taxes? Fare + port taxes + insurance + Patron Margarita, no salt? :) Canadian currency?

Just curious. Our per diem (fare only) was quite a bit less and we booked early and had an SA just outside the Neptune.

Yes, it was a single fare but it is the fare I paid for myself to sail. I paid for 2 people basically. This was the upsell rate so not all upsells are cheap. I've kicked myself numerous times for doing this. I thought that cruise would be really special so I was willing to bite the bullet. It was not special at all. I will not be paying that stupid amount again for a cruise. Maybe that is the lesson I needed to learn.

Yes, it was a single fare but it is the fare I paid for myself to sail. I paid for 2 people basically. This was the upsell rate so not all upsells are cheap. I've kicked myself numerous times for doing this. I thought that cruise would be really special so I was willing to bite the bullet. It was not special at all. I will not be paying that stupid amount again for a cruise. Maybe that is the lesson I needed to learn.

If it makes you feel better - and it won't ;) - our per diem based on double occupancy was quite a bit higher. I hate not having a good time, regardless of cost.

Wouldn't it be cooler if you could just order up $5,000 worth of fun? (Or $6K, or $8K?)

If it makes you feel better - and it won't ;) - our per diem based on double occupancy was quite a bit higher. I hate not having a good time, regardless of cost.

Wouldn't it be cooler if you could just order up $5,000 worth of fun? (Or $6K, or $8K?)

No, it doesn't really make me feel better:D. Consider that I only paid $322 per day for the PH. When I see posters asking if a balcony is going to go any lower than $600 total I'm simply amazed. If HAL can't make money on $8K they seriously need to take a look at what they are doing.

OP - sorry for the thread drift.

So, to get back to the OP's original question (which I didn't answer the first time)--what make it so special?

For me, it's a classic club sandwich--correct amouns of ham, turkey, bacon, lettuce, and mayo on three pieces of white toast and ordered with potato salad and a piece of choolate cake or apple tart. A great lunch!

Bottom line-I find it just tasty.

Interesting that a bunch of posts have been removed. Guess I must have ruffled some feathers. Sorry.

I just wanted to know why people like a sandwich. Thanks sapete for saying why you like it.

And since you asked the question a couple of days ago, I've been trying to quantify why I like it. It is the bacon and the mayo, with the tomato. Bacon, mainly, as that is a big treat for me, not something I eat very often. Yup, bacon ;)

And since you asked the question a couple of days ago, I've been trying to quantify why I like it. It is the bacon and the mayo, with the tomato. Bacon, mainly, as that is a big treat for me, not something I eat very often. Yup, bacon ;)

Now if it was a bacon and tomato sandwich then we would be talking:D.

Now if it was a bacon and tomato sandwich then we would be talking:D.

Since the club sandwich was on the room service menu a few years ago...and the components for a BLT were in it ...I thought the kitchen could make me a BLT. I described what I wanted, they said OK, and a club showed up instead. :mad: haven't tried that since!

What's so great about the Holland America club sandwich? Where do I begin?

I guess a little background is in order. While I try my best not to take too much work on vacation with me, I found myself needing to complete a major proposal on a recent cruise. So, while my wife and our friends went off to the pool one sea day, I stayed behind in the stateroom to work on the computer. I found myself suffering from writer's block, unable to make any progress on this very important proposal. At about one o'clock in the afternoon I realized that I was pretty hungry. While we often order room service breakfast, and occasionally order dinner from room service, I don't recall ever ordering lunch and having it delivered to our room.

I decided to order a

from room service so that I wouldn't lose time going to the dining room or the Lido. Poring over the room service menu, I saw the Club Sandwich. -- Remembering how people raved about it on Cruise Critic, I decided to order it. I also ordered a pot of coffee, hoping for a little pick-me-up.

I went back to writing my proposal, or more accurately, attempting to write it.

I was still stuck. A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door.

When I answered, the smiling room service steward greeted me and said, "Good afternoon, sir POA1! I have your lunch for you." (I really appreciate that the room service waiters make every attempt to call you by name.) After tipping him the appropriate amount[1] that one should for a lunch delivery, I left the room service tray on the coffee table and went back to my computer so I could save my work.

[1]
Tipping amount
:
I'm not falling into that trap. It doesn't matter what I wrote here, someone would be offended by it or feel the need to chime in with a comment about how the tip was too high, too low, or how you shouldn't tip at all because you already paid $X for the cruise.
This is a story about the Club Sandwich. No sidetracking!

I saved my proposal, or at least what I had so far, and put my computer into sleep mode. I walked over to the sofa and sat down. I poured myself a cup of coffee - black - and took a sip. It was okay... certainly not what I would consider a great cup of Joe, but I had a lot of work to do and needed a caffeine boost.

It was then that I noticed a faint golden glow emanating from the cloche covering my lunch plate. As I lifted the silver cover[2] from my plate, I could have sworn I heard a faint noise, not unlike an angelic chorus. A burst of golden light bathed the room as I removed the cover from the plate.

[2] Yes, I know it's stainless steel, but it's silver colored.

I picked up my coffee cup and took another sip. It was the most memorable, and the finest cup of coffee I had ever tasted! This was weird.... Just a moment ago, I could have sworn that the coffee was weak and tepid. But now it had an amazing, robust flavor - the most intense, powerful berry aroma I've ever encountered, literally filling the room with sweet Java goodness, Each sip was a lengthy journey through an experience that my palate has never since encountered. The intensity and complexity and refined power of the tight, clear, refined blueberry, raspberry and jasmine flavors and aromas completely overwhelmed me.

I wept.

I picked up my club sandwich and immediately felt a small surge of energy shoot up my arms. I wasn't quite a shocking jolt. It was more like a fast-moving, pleasant, tingly feeling. As I surveyed my club sandwich, I immediately noticed the fresh baked bread. It was soft, yet crusty... somewhat akin to the best sour dough bread San Francisco has to offer.

Magnificent!

My eyes then moved on to the lettuce and tomatoes...

Edited by POA1