BOGOHO rates are on the rise....

There are no people with eye-shades sitting at desks raising the rates..... It is a pricing program on the computers that analyze the current demand for every cabin class on each and every cruise. When the computer spots demand above some threshold, the prices are automatically raised and are continued to be raised until that demand slacks off. Same thing happens when the cabins are not selling; the prices are reduced. It is really a very simple concept; get the maximum dollars and bookings on every class of cabin on every cruise.
This makes sense, but doesn't seem to comport with the reality I experienced. When I booked (placed a hold), there was only one pr cabin on deck 8 (showing on the website); after the prices increased, there were several on deck 8, with LOTS in the same category on decks 6 and 7, more than I recalled seeing at the time I booked. Hmmm, maybe the threshold was one or two bookings.

Our JS cabins on the Navigator for Spring Break 2015 have increased $1,000 per cabin since the sale started and we have four of them. We had booked these cabins last year at a great rate but the sale saved us even more.

So glad Royal gave the sale price to pre-booked cruises as I wasn't looking for a fight and didn't want to cancel and re-book down the line.

This makes sense, but doesn't seem to comport with the reality I experienced. When I booked (placed a hold), there was only one pr cabin on deck 8 (showing on the website); after the prices increased, there were several on deck 8, with LOTS in the same category on decks 6 and 7, more than I recalled seeing at the time I booked. Hmmm, maybe the threshold was one or two bookings.

The Royal Caribbean website usually only shows SOME of the cabins available in a category. There are websites that show more cabins available and one website in particular that shows almost all cabins available. Obviously I can't name it, but you can search for it.... If you call Royal they have all cabins available.

We were booked on the Allure in a JS and on May 1st I saw the sale (I check my cruise price twice a day) and called that morning. I was on hold for 30 minutes and I could save $500 and keep the JS or upgrade to a GS for $500. We upgraded and now the GS is $1,400. more.

I still check every day.

The Royal Caribbean website usually only shows SOME of the cabins available in a category. There are websites that show more cabins available and one website in particular that shows almost all cabins available. Obviously I can't name it, but you can search for it.... If you call Royal they have all cabins available.

I hear you.... I use one site in particuliar that shows in a graphic format ALL the cabins available in a selected cabin class. It is so helpful that I can not understand why RCL does not do something similiar.

Our Freedom cruise on Oct. 4, 2015 is still a great price, same as I paid first of May. I think the popular cruises are the ones going up quickly, like Oasis and Allure. There have been some great prices out there. Glad lots of people have been able to save on their already booked cruises too!!

I hear you.... I use one site in particuliar that shows in a graphic format ALL the cabins available in a selected cabin class. It is so helpful that I can not understand why RCL does not do something similiar.

That sounds so helpful. I usually book three cabins and like to get them close together. Would you mind emailing me this site? kathypeters123 at bellsouth dot net.

Thanks, and happy sails.

Kathy

Please email me also the website.

robha2 at yahoo dot com. Thank you.

OK, I searched and I can't find such a site. Would you pretty-please email me the link? frisbeewife at yahoo.com

Thank you so much!

I am also interested in seeing where the pricing goes after the end of the sale

Well, initially, the prices will be much higher. That is because the half off for 2nd person will not be there and you will see the full price for two displayed. Now, IF the demand goes down because of the higher price, you may see either price reductions or discounts (age, military, residence, etc) offered.

Now, IF the demand goes down because of the higher price, you may see either price reductions or discounts

Gotta be totally honest here, I'm a little tired of everyone here assuming that "supply & demand" is actually the reason for these price increases during the sale. I posted about this much earlier in the thread, over a week ago, that I am 100% convinced that that is not the case. And now after reviewing the available cabins for my potential sailing again, I remain just as convinced. The sailing we were looking at back on day one (or maybe day two?) of the sale was a late February '15 sailing of Oasis, and at that time I made note of the cabin availability in the two different categories we were interested in. Then, when the prices started skyrocketing (about a 35% jump) a week later, I noted that in those categories, literally, only one cabin was had been taken in each. And now looking again last night, about one more cabin in each has been booked. So there is NO way that anyone is going to tell me that this actually has anything to do with supply & demand, but rather with simple, very shady, underhanded sales tactics, where the prices were automatically slated to go up no matter how many cabins were sold, thereby giving the outward impression that "oooh, cabins are going quickly, better jump on our booking now before prices go up any more!!!". Please, I really didn't think Royal would fool so may people that way and that people couldn't see right through this garbage, but evidently I was wrong. Very sad indeed.

For your count of available cabins did you rely on the number of cabins listed on the RCL web site or did you count the number of cabins on an European website that shows ALL cabins available? Unfortunately, I can not mention the site here.

Edited by edjny

Gotta be totally honest here, I'm a little tired of everyone here assuming that "supply & demand" is actually the reason for these price increases during the sale. I posted about this much earlier in the thread, over a week ago, that I am 100% convinced that that is not the case. And now after reviewing the available cabins for my potential sailing again, I remain just as convinced. The sailing we were looking at back on day one (or maybe day two?) of the sale was a late February '15 sailing of Oasis, and at that time I made note of the cabin availability in the two different categories we were interested in. Then, when the prices started skyrocketing (about a 35% jump) a week later, I noted that in those categories, literally, only one cabin was had been taken in each. And now looking again last night, about one more cabin in each has been booked. So there is NO way that anyone is going to tell me that this actually has anything to do with supply & demand, but rather with simple, very shady, underhanded sales tactics, where the prices were automatically slated to go up no matter how many cabins were sold, thereby giving the outward impression that "oooh, cabins are going quickly, better jump on our booking now before prices go up any more!!!". Please, I really didn't think Royal would fool so may people that way and that people couldn't see right through this garbage, but evidently I was wrong. Very sad indeed.

I am actually pretty convinced that periodically companies (airlines, cruise lines, etc.) raise the price in order to scare people who have been sitting on the fence about booking to pull the trigger before pricing goes even higher. If the companies don't get enough bookings with that tactic then the prices come back down.

I am sure there are several metrics that go into when prices increase or decrease on sailings. To suggest it is unfair or shady is a little extreme. RCCL is simply doing what all good business do maximize revenue.

While deciding on a cruise on the Oasis for 3 of us I watched the price increase on a D1 Balcony by $200 overnight. We decided we could go and we booked.

Because the BOGOHO was such a good deal I upgraded to a Junior Suite. Regardless of the fluctuating prices in my mind I booked a Junior Suite for 3 of us and the price per person was less that what we paid per person for 2 of us in a Boardwalk Balcony on the Allure last November.

First Junior Suite on a cruise at an affordable price for us and made possible by the promotion. No problem here!

Not entirely certain that anyone can determine a pattern of behavior by only looking at a single data point. Tracking pricing and availability of one cabin category on one ship for one specific date is no more predictive of an outcome than trying to draw a curve with only a starting point.

We have five cruises booked using the BOGOHO promotion, (three existing cruises that we re-priced, and two additional cruises) and every one of them priced out significantly lower than the same cruises; same week; same category that we have booked for this year.

Edited by orville99

I am sure there are several metrics that go into when prices increase or decrease on sailings. To suggest it is unfair or shady is a little extreme. RCCL is simply doing what all good business do maximize revenue.

While deciding on a cruise on the Oasis for 3 of us I watched the price increase on a D1 Balcony by $200 overnight. We decided we could go and we booked.

Because the BOGOHO was such a good deal I upgraded to a Junior Suite. Regardless of the fluctuating prices in my mind I booked a Junior Suite for 3 of us and the price per person was less that what we paid per person for 2 of us in a Boardwalk Balcony on the Allure last November.

First Junior Suite on a cruise at an affordable price for us and made possible by the promotion. No problem here!

I agree. They are just trying to maximize revenue...and that's OK, If they didn't make any money in this business, this industry wouldn't be here. Go with whatever you feel comfortably with. We used this promo to get back to cruising after a 7 year break (kids in college, weddings, etc)...and I'm happy they had it ready for us to sail again in 2015.

Edited by Kayaktom
Added commentary.

I agree. They are just trying to maximize revenue...and that's OK, If they didn't make any money in this business, this industry wouldn't be here. Go with whatever you feel comfortably with. We used this promo to get back to cruising after a 7 year break (kids in college, weddings, etc)...and I'm happy they had it ready for us to sail again in 2015.

Glad you are going too Kayaktom! You are on same cruise as us and the Roll Call keeps growing! Going to be a great time!!!!!!!!!!