Radiance class aft balconies

Looking for some advice on radiance class afts. The only ones left on the sailing we are looking at are all the D1s on deck 7. These cabins appear to be larger on the deck plan but that may not be so.

The corner aft is usually our preference but 7172 looks like it might be a bit narrow and smaller than say a middle one like 7176.

I googled some pics and some look like there's only one lounge chair and two chairs on the corner aft while the middle afts had two of each.

Can anyone give me any insight into these cabins and which one they'd choose?

Thanks for your help!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aft fans are hoping that nobody will notice and they can pounce. :D

Pros-

Great big open space that puts regular balconies to shame.

Nice long walk to help get rid of calories from dinner.

Less traffic in the hallways outside your door.

Wide open view over the wake.

Cons-

Some find soot. ( I haven't had an issue with it myself)

Horrible long walk after a day in port.

Might or might not have the loungers and might or might not be able to get them.

Some people feel extra movement from stern flutter. (another thing I have never noticed)

Just few good and bad. Hope it helps.

We've only had afts on voyager and freedom classes and love them. I'm thinking afts on radiance class would be better?

I'm definitely booking one on deck 7 (that's all that's left) I'm just wondering which one to choose. The corner, which we usually prefer, looks like it has a smaller balcony than the centre with only 1 lounge chair - wondering if this is true.

We've only had afts on voyager and freedom classes and love them. I'm thinking afts on radiance class would be better?

I'm definitely booking one on deck 7 (that's all that's left) I'm just wondering which one to choose. The corner, which we usually prefer, looks like it has a smaller balcony than the centre with only 1 lounge chair - wondering if this is true.

They are better. No superstructure in the way at any level.

If this will help:

2pqu8at.jpg

You can actually walk all the way to the left in this pic. Not enough room for a lounger there but a chair can be moved there. But definitely has room for 2 loungers near the door. We had 9256. Here is its balcony:

4ev5u.jpg

IMHO you can't go wrong no matter which aft cabin you select. All have oversized balconies and unobstructed views. Grab it immediately.

Edited by BecciBoo

We were on the Jewel last month, in 1104, and it was just fine. We had an over sized balconey that had two chaise lounges and a table with two chairs. We still had a lot of room to spare. Loved the location and the clear and panoramic view. The only drawback was that we were directly below the Windjammer outside seating which could get a little loud in the mornings during breakfast. Even that wasn't that big a deal. Next time, we may select one a deck lower but if that deck was the only one available, I would certainly book it again. :)

My biggest concern would be possible Colony Club noise if you are early to bed cruisers.

DH's first cruise I switched from a side balcony to aft-deck 9-at final payment. Keep a close eye on cabins then. You may pickup something on a higher deck and avoid any noise.

There are no obstructed balconies on Radiance Class ships...no superstructure like bigger sisters. We have also never had a pufter of soot.

These balconies are massive. You also have tremendous protection from weather. Raining? No problem. High winds? Who cares, afternoon naps available on the balcony.

DH's first cruise was Alaska. I had trouble getting him OFF the balcony! Back there you eventually see everything on both sides of the ship. Now he whimpers like a baby when I mention anything but an aft facing balcony cabin.

Walk to the cabin SOOOOOOO worth it for the view, privacy and very quiet part of the ship.

I found our aft cabin and balcony so accommodating on our Brilliance/Canadian sailing. I was sick---seriously but didn't know it yet (heart). I spend a few days entirely in the cabin. Our attendant was so attentive with frequent ice, blankets for nesting on the lounge chair on our balcony.

Funny, I did so much less and still loved the trip.

Home.......later........day before my heart surgery, Hubsters and I were terrified. DH showed up in my hospital room with the biggest grin. Alaska bookings opened and he had reserved cabin 1100 for our Anniversary (married on the Radiance in Juneau). He said ....... I'm not planning to go alone! That was almost 450 days ago.

We leave in less than 3 weeks for Alaska!

The Radiance Aft cabins are brilliant. Sensational views. (we saw Orcas breaching from the balcony in Alaska).

You will get noise from the Colony Club. Especially on the Port side, but it stops by about midnight. And no morning noise (as in on deck 10).

Never had a speck of soot in 6 Aft Radiance trips.

Go for it.

Raina

Home.......later........day before my heart surgery, Hubsters and I were terrified. DH showed up in my hospital room with the biggest grin. Alaska bookings opened and he had reserved cabin 1100 for our Anniversary (married on the Radiance in Juneau). He said ....... I'm not planning to go alone! That was almost 450 days ago.

We leave in less than 3 weeks for Alaska!

Donut23, Thank you for all that and especially the part I quoted. It literally brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your heartfelt story. Amazing.

And thanks to everyone else too. I'm definitely booking an aft. I just haven't decided which one. As I said before, the only afts left are on deck 7. I can chose either one but the corner seems too narrow for 2 lounge chairs. It's more narrow than the higher decks and pics I've seen only shows one lounge chair. Maybe I'll just book the centre aft to be sure.

Love those corners though...... :)

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Donut23, Thank you for all that and especially the part I quoted. It literally brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your heartfelt story. Amazing.

And thanks to everyone else too. I'm definitely booking an aft. I just haven't decided which one. As I said before, the only afts left are on deck 7. I can chose either one but the corner seems too narrow for 2 lounge chairs. It's more narrow than the higher decks and pics I've seen only shows one lounge chair. Maybe I'll just book the centre aft to be sure.

Love those corners though...... :)

We had 7172 on the Jewel. We could definitely here the bass of the music from below until 11pm or midnight most nights. We had two lounge chairs on the balcony. The balcony is only wide enough for the lounges directly beside the partition with the next balcony. It tapers off to very narrow with only enough space for a chair as seen in the picture earlier in this thread. You can stand at the railing a ways past that chair but you have to step over a railing support.

You could put the lounge chairs parallel to the railing with no problem. The balcony is just fairly long and narrow.

We did have some covering from above but it is pretty open. I don't think the covering from above would keep you covered enough if it were raining. The center balcony was much deeper and covered, actually looked shady most of the time.

We would take 7172 again if there were no other options since we like corner afts too but would chose another deck if one were available.

We had 7172 on the Jewel. We could definitely here the bass of the music from below until 11pm or midnight most nights. We had two lounge chairs on the balcony. The balcony is only wide enough for the lounges directly beside the partition with the next balcony. It tapers off to very narrow with only enough space for a chair as seen in the picture earlier in this thread. You can stand at the railing a ways past that chair but you have to step over a railing support.

You could put the lounge chairs parallel to the railing with no problem. The balcony is just fairly long and narrow.

We did have some covering from above but it is pretty open. I don't think the covering from above would keep you covered enough if it were raining. The center balcony was much deeper and covered, actually looked shady most of the time.

We would take 7172 again if there were no other options since we like corner afts too but would chose another deck if one were available.

That's very helpful. Thank you. If you had to choose between either of the afts on deck 7 which one would you choose?

We're trying to decide between 7172 corner or 7176/7676 centres.

That's very helpful. Thank you. If you had to choose between either of the afts on deck 7 which one would you choose?

We would most likely chose 7176 because of the depth of the balcony. If you look at the picture of the balconies, 7176 is a full panel of partition deeper than 7172. That makes the loungers much easier to get in and out of, where on 7172, the end of the lounger is tucked under the angled railing.

Like I said before, we would take 7172 if that was our only aft choice, we did enjoy the balcony a lot. A little extra room to move around just makes the other balcony a little more appealing.

Like I said before, we would take 7172 if that was our only aft choice, we did enjoy the balcony a lot. A little extra room to move around just makes the other balcony a little more appealing.

The two in the middle have the HUGEST balconies. They are massive. And also the quietest.

R

We would most likely chose 7176 because of the depth of the balcony. If you look at the picture of the balconies, 7176 is a full panel of partition deeper than 7172. That makes the loungers much easier to get in and out of, where on 7172, the end of the lounger is tucked under the angled railing.

Thanks so much. We put 7176 on hold yesterday with our TA so we'll go ahead and confirm that booking. It looked much bigger to me as well:)

Edited by The Sunset Glow

If this will help:

2pqu8at.jpg

You can actually walk all the way to the left in this pic. Not enough room for a lounger there but a chair can be moved there. But definitely has room for 2 loungers near the door. We had 9256. Here is its balcony:

4ev5u.jpg

IMHO you can't go wrong no matter which aft cabin you select. All have oversized balconies and unobstructed views. Grab it immediately.

Thanks for posting the pics of the verandah of 9256. We will have that cabin for an Aussie Top and Bottom cruise on the Radiance in 2015. Since we will be there about a month it is good to know we will have space on the balcony to move around and have some meals out there. Is the cabin larger than normal or about the standard D2? Did you find any issues with shade on the aft?

Hi

After reading Sue's great review and seeing her beautiful pictures we booked cabin 9260 for Alaska.

I wanted either 9256 or 1100 originally but both were already booked

Is 9260 a good aft? There are a still a few others available, but it looked like it was center aft so hopefully big enough for the 2 loungers as well as the table and chairs.

Thank you

Noreen