Is there anyone who does not like the Steak House?

Seany527

I tried it on the Pride and was not impressed. I ordered a drink and the waiter brought it to the serving area where it sat for 15 minutes before I could get anyone to bring it to me. I had the surf and turf and my lobster was still frozen in spots. Had to send it back. The service was really lacking. And there was only one other table in there at the time. I don't think it was worth the extra cost.

My DH and I ate in the steakhouse on our first cruise. We really did enjoy it. The food was great and the service was excellent. That being said, we probably won't be doing it again. We found that the food and service in the MDR for the rest of the cruise was just as enjoyable. We see no point in spending extra money when we have already paid for the food in the MDR that we are quite happy with. To each their own, but I don't think I'm missing out by not going again.

I was not impressed. Food was good and service OK. MDR was wonderful so Steak house was not necessary.s

This. Very underwhelmed by appetizers.and sides. Not cooked fresh to order. Just little dishes from the food factory kitchen. Ended uphaving the exact same carpaccio in the MDR 2 nights later and knew better than to order the (not fresh) crab cakes in MDR the next night.

I thought it was supposed to be special? Service was trying to be great. But... Meh.

And the silly cheesecake? Tasted like the fridge. And the extravagant chocolate dessert has very low quality chocolate that doesn't melt in your mouth... Tastes like wax. Although impressive to look at.

Save your $70 per couple!

We ate at the Steakhouse when we were on the Dream.. Although the food was great, we found it no better than the main diningroom. Great food yes, but not worth paying extra for. Save your $$ and enjoy the great service in the mdr.

We did the steakhouse on the Legend in April and both my husband and I agreed it was overall one of the best meals we have ever had. I had the lobster bisque, some kind of tomato salad, surf and turf, and cheesecake. Only the lobster tail was a disappointment--(I have only eaten a truly exceptional lobster tail once in my life--they always seem overcooked and rubbery to me)--everything else was amazing. I took the cheesecake to go.

My cheapskate husband agreed it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We ate at the steakhouse for the first time on our last cruise on the Liberty. We're not foodies, and fairly easy to please. I thought what we had was excellent, and better than what we've had at a couple of steakhouses here at home. When you consider what all you get for $35.00 per person, plus a free bottle of wine on the first evening, you can't beat it. Maybe we were lucky, but we had excellent food and excellent service. No complaints at all. I would imagine that whether you get a great meal and superb service or not depends largely on which ship you're on, much like a land-based restaurant.

We tried it once and will never do it again. It was very intrusive. After every course was served, the waitstaff would be there asking how well we were enjoying the course. That got old real fast. And the chef kept conjuring up these wierd concoctions for us to try. It looked like a bent spoon with weeds on it. I prefer to eat meat, not what the meat eats.

As for the steak, We didn't think it tasted any better than the ones in the MDR. It was just bigger.

We did the steakhouse on the Legend in April and both my husband and I agreed it was overall one of the best meals we have ever had. I had the lobster bisque, some kind of tomato salad, surf and turf, and cheesecake. Only the lobster tail was a disappointment--(I have only eaten a truly exceptional lobster tail once in my life--they always seem overcooked and rubbery to me)--everything else was amazing. I took the cheesecake to go.

My cheapskate husband agreed it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've done it three times. Once on the legend and twice on Valor. On the Legend (in 2011) in was great. Good food good service. Both times on the Valor it was terrible. I tried it the second time thinking the first was just a fluke, it was not. The service was just terrible both times. I even complained about it... and hell I'm Canadian we don't complain ;) empty glasses, dishes not cleared, overall just inattentive staff.

On the other hand I love the cheesecake. And I'll say that my food has been reliably good all 3 times. I may try it again on the Dream in September but I believe the one on Valor is just mismanaged. Badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waterloomarc

See no reason to spend the money.

It appears all the appetizers and salads appear on the MDR at some point during the cruise.

The best steaks I have had are usually at home on my own grill...

I might consider if they had a nice veal chop or rack of lamb.

We went years ago and thought it was very good, but now we can't eat that much food and so it's just not worth it.

However, since becoming Diamond we get a one time complimentary dining for 2 in a specialty restaurant to we're going to use my comp in the Steakhouse on the Magic in August.

I think I'm either going to go with the surf n turf or the fish though. Being from Oklahoma our bar for steak preparation is pretty high.

DW and I have been to the steakhouse twice, once on the Dream, and once on the Liberty...both times, we paid nothing as this was a benefit of moving to the Diamond VIFP level...we both felt that the food was just average in taste, and the service a bit above average from what you would receive in the MDR...also, we decided that we would not invest $70 into an "average" meal that was already available in the MDR and/or Lido buffet

We have done it twice, both times on Pride. No problems the first time but last time this past April they sat us at a window table and the angle of the sun was blaring right in my face, The blind was broken so I asked to be moved, which they did after some serious thought (the place was not busy). Funny thing is that they sat the very next couple in that same seat and had to move them too due to the sun issue. The third couple tolerated it as the sun was quickly setting.

As far as the food, no problem. I had the lamb which was perfect, my DW had the cowboy steak, very good.

We have done it twice, both times on Pride. No problems the first time but last time this past April they sat us at a window table and the angle of the sun was blaring right in my face, The blind was broken so I asked to be moved, which they did after some serious thought (the place was not busy). Funny thing is that they sat the very next couple in that same seat and had to move them too due to the sun issue. The third couple tolerated it as the sun was quickly setting.

As far as the food, no problem. I had the lamb which was perfect, my DW had the cowboy steak, very good.

When I was a kid...until around 6 or so..we had a meat locker and my grandparents would buy special lamb chops, roasts, and steaks and roasts for us. This was before my dad raised beef...and one year in those earlier years took over taking care of a fellow ranchers bums..when he had a serious heart attack... and then received a couple for doing that..well we ended up with a flock that my youngest sis was attached to, she took care of them and sold the wool but that was it..they all had names and multiplied.....lol.

We sold the calves in the fall to a feedlot..so we still had indirect/ non existent viewing of the worst part of the truth, even though we knew where the beef came from and helped dad. Well I am the only lamb eater of my siblings..lol. But I have to have mint jelly..I like a rack or chops one can do that with...not something over beans or lentils....is this possible? Does anyone know if mint jelly is avbx...for me it is a must and if it is a rack or good chops...I am sold for my next Carnival Cruise that has a steakhouse....

I have done it once on the Spirit..filet..good to great..salad was off that nite..spinach and mushroom (too mushy mushrooms and spinach turning)...chocolate sampler dessert good but too much...escargot..fantastic. I will try again..I think it is a good deal but like everything..can be just ok sometimes. Free wine first nite and Easter Sunday to boot..lovely first cruise nite dinner by the window...Easter 2012.

Edited by sjn911

It has been quite a few years since I have sailed Carnival. I have done the steakhouse twice, really didn't see where it was all that spectacular. I really didn't see where their service was all that great. We have always had really good wait staff in the main dining rooms. Only once did we have a little glitch, made a comment to the maitre'd (sp??) and no problems after that. Overall for it being now $35 per person I just didn't see where it was all that special for the extra cost. If it had been perhaps $15-20 then it might be more of something I might try again.

We did the Steakhouse on the Breeze in March. We were 7 adults. We were traveling with kids but didn't think the steakhouse was appropriate for them so we fed them earlier and they went to camp carnival while we went to dinner. On the first night of the cruise all 11 of us including kids ate in the Italian restaurant. For $12 a person ($5 for kids under 12) we had the most fabulous meal, wonderful service and great food so we had really high hopes for the Steakhouse. What a disappointment! No one in there cracked a smile the whole time we were there. The decor was somewhat depressing. The vibe was so negative it actually felt uncomfortable. Our waitress was downright rude. She spoke very low with her head down in her chin and had a heavy accent so it was hard to understand her. My daughter in law asked her about something on the menu and she said "I already told you about that-pay attention". As for the food the escargot was to die for. The crab cake was excellent also. But the steaks although cooked to perfection were like Outback - not the quality of a Ruth-Chris or other really good Steakhouse. I did not care for the desserts at all. All in all it was the only negative experience we had on the Breeze which was an awesome ship and the only money I resented paying.

We have eaten at the Steak house on the Conquest and Sunshine. We enjoyed it each time. Compared to a high end steak restaurant, the $35 charge is reasonable. We view it more as entertainment and try to plan the steakhouse on an at sea night when we know we will be reaching the "bored" status and ready for a change. The food has always been good. I am a filet eater, and love the cheesecake. We do not drink at meals, so ours usually takes about 1 1/2 hours. They do tend to put "snooty" servers here. Guess it is their attempt to be upscale. HA.

After 30 plus cruises...have only done the Steakhouse maybe three times...Chief's Table twice..and Hal's steakhouse once...where I got deathly sick:eek:

Our best time was way back when the Spirit was new and think the steakhouse concept was new too...we had an awesome meal...they had those huge porterhouse steaks back then..and they had live entertainment...probably the best we have ever heard on a ship...It was Joel and Lorna...Play That Duo...they were fantastic...they ended up coming to our table and talking to us...we went back later that week to the steakhouse bar just to listen to them....would love to see them again on a Carnival ship.

We usually enjoy the MDR...and just don't see a need to do the steakhouse...we can do steaks at home better than any we can get out...and we just don't eat that much anymore....way too much food at the Chef's Table too..but we enjoy that experience a lot more!

We have been twice (Valour & Breeze) and were very disappointed with the lamb chops. On both occasions they were tough and chewy even though we ordered rare. Next time we will try the fillet.

I think I'll finally try the steak house on my up coming cruise. I only read and hear positive things about it. Is there anyone who does not like it? I would hate to have just an OK time at the steak house and miss out on something enjoying in the dining room.

me, not worth the extra money