Captains Circle Magazine - Laziness?

sunviking90

I just received the new Captains Circle magazine and on page 2 starts a nice timeline celebrating 50 years at sea. I'm disappointed at the lack of effort put into this as the 1968 picture celebrates the first cruise to Alaska, but shows a picture of the current Coral or Island Princess. The 1974 shot says that the Sun Princess joined the fleet and begins the Sun Class and shows the 1995 Sun Princess which did indeed begin the "Sun Class", but was not around in 1974. Was it too much trouble to find a picture of the Princess Italia of 1968 or the old Sun Princess (former Spirit of London).

They also claim the Star Princess of 1989 was the first of the Grand Class!??.

Badly done Princess.

Edited by sunviking90

Wow, you're good at noticing the details. You'd think it would pretty easy for them to scan an old picture of one of their ships!

They aren't the best at editing the Patters either. My favorite goof-up was the amazing sale in the atrium, "Inch of God only .99 cents!". :D

Wow, you're good at noticing the details. You'd think it would pretty easy for them to scan an old picture of one of their ships!

They aren't the best at editing the Patters either. My favorite goof-up was the amazing sale in the atrium, "Inch of God only .99 cents!". :D

>>>"Inch of God only .99 cents!". :D<<<<

Sorry I just had to laugh and wonder if there was a "naughty" movie made with that title! :eek:

I think they should have scanned an old picture as well. If I can scan a picture onto powerpoint then anyone can.

We were recently looking through the latest Cruise Atlas and my DH had a good laugh over some of the images used (he has a good eye for graphic design). One of the Paris photos was clearly from the 1960's if the cars are any indication. And then there are the badly done Photoshop jobs, particularly an Alaskan rafting excursion where the raft was clearly added to the water in the editing room. Can't Princess afford a decent graphic designer for their marketing materials? :)

LOL. I used to be a teacher, and one of my favorite daily activites is "grading" the Patter when on a cruise. They have had some spectacular fails. I think the "editor" on each ship is someone on the cruise director's staff, and some of them are better than others. I've always had the impression that Princess cuts corners when it comes to their publications.

When and how did this come? It seems it's been quite some time since I've gotten one.

If you are asking about the Cruise Atlas I had to order it from the Princess website. I think we got it in less than a week and it is so fun for dreaming :) The Atlas was free, and I also requested some other brochures as well.

That is also one of my secret favorite activities on a cruise- spotting the errors in each day's Patters. Some people are good at trivia, others Sudoku..I have a knack for spotting other people's errors in a wall of text (but, sadly, not my own).

LOL. I used to be a teacher, and one of my favorite daily activites is "grading" the Patter when on a cruise. They have had some spectacular fails. I think the "editor" on each ship is someone on the cruise director's staff, and some of them are better than others. I've always had the impression that Princess cuts corners when it comes to their publications.

The Princess Patter shell is put together by the CD. Each day on most ships the Dep. CD has a short time frame to place all the activities from the various departments into the day's Patter, and get it to the printer for evening delivery. I can see why you would find some editing errors. But, large errors in publications as mentioned in these postings from the home office should not be tolerated by the executives. It's makes a bad impression on customers.

I agree with all of the comments. I just finished reading it and wonder if anyone checked facts or did any editing.

Maybe Princess figures that no one really reads the magazine and they can get away with it. I agree though it was poorly written.

That is also one of my secret favorite activities on a cruise- spotting the errors in each day's Patters. Some people are good at trivia, others Sudoku..I have a knack for spotting other people's errors in a wall of text (but, sadly, not my own).

LOL Me too. I carry it too far - I even want to correct Mother's Day cards!! Terrible, I know! :o

I agree that some editors are better than others. I used to be a proofreader so it drives me crazy to see errors (if you're looking at my posts, just remember that one usually can't always catch one's own errors -- even the best proofreader or editor will read copy the way thinks it should read). I've found errors on handouts given to my daughter from teachers, errors on law firm websites (when I was helping someone find a lawyer), and errors on school websites.

If I see an error in the first day Patter, I know I'll find plenty more.

I wonder how much a Patter would change from one sailing to another if the ship is repeating an itinerary and the activities are basically the same. I edit a weekly newsletter for a school activity and I don't start from scratch each week.

How about the passengers in the brochures???

I knew someone who worked as a model along with her husband for a Princess brochure. They actually went on the cruise, which makes sense. That way the photographer can get the shots in without having to rush the shoot on a turnaround day.

Re brochure models - we were on a Caribbean cruise about 18 months ago and at 1 dinner we eat with 2 ladies that were on board as models for brochures pictures, They were from separates parts of Florida. There was a total of 6 models on board and they were doing shoots during port days.

One cruise was so bad, I was seriously tempted to get out the red pen and then place the corrected Patters at the purser's desk on the last day.

The Princess Patter shell is put together by the CD. Each day on most ships the Dep. CD has a short time frame to place all the activities from the various departments into the day's Patter, and get it to the printer for evening delivery. I can see why you would find some editing errors. But, large errors in publications as mentioned in these postings from the home office should not be tolerated by the executives. It's makes a bad impression on customers.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for slipshod work. It takes only a few minutes to properly proofread something and it's a hallmark of professionalism. I can't imagine why you'd excuse one sort of error but not tolerate another -- it all makes a bad impression on customers.

A click on <enter> would get the Patter to the printer on board in seconds. Most of the on board activities and ship advertisements are pre-planned and the pages are already formatted. Most high school newspapers don't have it that easy! But it's not just Princess who has this problem with errors on ship board newsletters, and from my observation, the errors are increasing. Sloppy work, perhaps as a result of low pay? lack of training? - I don't know, but it is really sad to see the decline of a simple print media.

Edited by Salacia

I think you need to step back.

Cruise lines don't employ cruise historians, I suspect most shore side workers don't even care that much about "cruising"

I suspect that some higher up will have decided the broad outline of the next deliverable and dumped it on some minion with a ridiculous time scale.

The patters(same for other cruise lines), here we will have a template for each day based on the previous trips that will just have a few regular edits date weather, headliner, loads will get missed and with the trend to use more international cruise staff hosts where English is not the first language or grads that are not the smartest it is no wonder there are errors.

The number of times a quiz turns into a English lesson for the poor young things that are given a list of questions* with difficult words.

Why they do not do a practice run through with someone before they turn up with something they have never read before confounds me.

* I have noticed on few lines now the quizzes are set by head office(with the odd wrong answers) or use commercial quiz questions and they are not allowed to use there own sets of questions any more.

Edited by insidecabin