RYNDAM & STATENDAM to P&O Australia

eroller

I believe that down here we are the lucky ones. I love the "R" and "S" ships so much nicer than the new Vista builds and as long as P&O Australia doesn't alter them like they did to the Regal Princess, we will be thrilled.

For once, we are getting two lovely ships and as more and more Australians are cruising, we are going to need these ships here all year round. I wonder if P&O Australia are now going to cater to the older section of our community and not just to the young ones. It will be interesting to see the itineraries of these two ships when they finally are released down here.

Jennie

What did they do to alter Regal Princess...?

From Eva Jenner

Vice President

North America Field, Charter and Incentive Sales

We recently announced the transition of two of our ships — ms Ryndam and ms Statendam — to our sister brand P&O Cruises in Australia. The transition will take place in November 2015 following ms Statendam's Alaska season and ms Ryndam's Europe season. This will be shortly followed by the launch of Holland America Line's new 99,500-ton ship in February 2016. The capacity of the new vessel at 2,648 guests will exceed the capacity leaving the fleet with the transfer of ms Statendam and ms Ryndam.

-------------

I'll miss them

Bill

Ancient Mariner

I think the Ryndam's return to Tampa might be modified; there is no reason to go all the way up there.

Which makes me wonder which other ship HAL will be moving to Tampa, or will they be abandoning Tampa altogether?

Had my first HAL cruise this year on Statendam, to Hawaii etc and have booked another on her next January. Perfect size, crew wonderful etc - so sad she is leaving. Do cruise lines not understand that big is not always beautiful!

Which makes me wonder which other ship HAL will be moving to Tampa, or will they be abandoning Tampa altogether?

My concern also! But I think Tampa has been a good port for HAL - at least, that's what I want to believe. Anyone else have any ideas which ship might replace the Ryndam here? I thought that the Vista ships would not make it under the Sunshine Skyway.

My concern also! But I think Tampa has been a good port for HAL - at least, that's what I want to believe. Anyone else have any ideas which ship might replace the Ryndam here? I thought that the Vista ships would not make it under the Sunshine Skyway.

Oh please let it be the Veendam.......:D:D:D:D

Do cruise lines not understand that big is not always beautiful!

I think they do understand that, but they probably would add a second part to the equation, to wit:

"Big is not always beautiful, and small is not always profitable."

I wonder who is going to take over the Hawaii/Tahiti cruises after Statendam? I've been looking at doing this cruise again the fall of 2015 but hadn''t seen it listed. I guess, now I know why

Anyone have a guess?

Actually, I believe the Amsterdam will do one of the Hawaii-Tahiti cruises. The one in the fall of 2015. Still hasn't been posted, but my TA told me that the Amsterdam would be doing a 50 day Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa and Cook Islands Cruise in the fall instead of the Grand Asia.

Maybe the transferring of the Statendam and Ryndam, caused them to cancel the Grand Voyage on the Amsterdam so that they could use the Amsterdam on a popular route?

Actually, I believe the Amsterdam will do one of the Hawaii-Tahiti cruises. The one in the fall of 2015. Still hasn't been posted, but my TA told me that the Amsterdam would be doing a 50 day Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa and Cook Islands Cruise in the fall instead of the Grand Asia.

Maybe the transferring of the Statendam and Ryndam, caused them to cancel the Grand Voyage on the Amsterdam so that they could use the Amsterdam on a popular route?

Would love it to be the Amsterdam but 50 days might be a little more then we could handle.

HAL used to have the OLD Noordam and the Veendam cruise out of Tampa for years before the Ryndam was assigned that run. We did several of those cruises.

We were told that the Signature ships can not pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

So maybe the Veendam will move back there.

That has been talk of building a new cruise terminal in Tampa:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tampa-bay-facing-tough-choices-to-keep-cruise-ship-industry-going/2155996

What did they do to alter Regal Princess...?

They changed the ship by adding a lot of quads to the two room cabins increasing the capacity from 1500+ to nearly 2000 passengers. We cruised on the Regal Princess in South America about a year before she came down here and she was a lovely ship. She was the last of two being built by Sitmar before Princess took over the line.

Adding 400 hundred extra passengers can change the dynamics of a ship. It was perfect how it was originally built.

Jennie

They changed the ship by adding a lot of quads to the two room cabins increasing the capacity from 1500+ to nearly 2000 passengers. We cruised on the Regal Princess in South America about a year before she came down here and she was a lovely ship. She was the last of two being built by Sitmar before Princess took over the line.

Adding 400 hundred extra passengers can change the dynamics of a ship. It was perfect how it was originally built.

Jennie

We traveled on the Regal and really enjoyed her. I can't imagine adding over 400 passengers to her. Wow, she is not that big, must seem awfully crowded. What a shame!

Quoted here this week, the refurb is going to happen in October...maybe Ann Sherry CEO for Carnival here has incorrect dates!

http://cruisepassenger.com.au/2014/05/po-base-ships-sydney/

The Statendam was our first real cruise in 2006 & have sailed on her several times since.

We are looking at the Ryndam cruise in Europe and would love to try her before she goes.

There has been no news about the Princendam though!!

Edited by Bellair
added

HAL used to have the OLD Noordam and the Veendam cruise out of Tampa for years before the Ryndam was assigned that run. We did several of those cruises.

We were told that the Signature ships can not pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tampa-bay-facing-tough-choices-to-keep-cruise-ship-industry-going/2155996

That would be nice ..

While I'll miss the Ryndam, I couldn't be happier about the Statendam leaving. I'm a fan of the newer ships.

Mrs Banjo & I remain fans of the small ships, and are not fans of the new mega ships, so we are saddened to see the smaller ships disappearing. we have sailed on the Ryndam a number of times and will miss her.

That being said, we will continue to sail on the smaller ships and if that means on other lines, so be it. I'm sure HAL is looking at the bottom line...... Hope it works out for them.

I've been traveling, just catching up on cruise news.

There is a new thread on the Oceania boards, rumors of a new build ship, sister ship to Marina and Riviera, 1250 passengers. They are also bringing back the Insignia to the fleet this summer, it has been on a long term charter in Europe. I think there is a connection to this Holland America news as Oceania has been absorbing HAL defectors.

We have been on the Ryndam, it was a nicer ship than Veendam which we have sailed for dates and itinerary. Two years ago we did Veendam South America and I held my breath that our air conditioning would last, every day I talked to people who had none and the ship was a smoke pit. I concluded they were having major ventilation problems and I vowed no more Veendam.

Have not sailed Statendam but last year we were on the Island Princess which was parked next to the Statendam in a port. We could see the top decks of Statendam and the physical plant seemed so plain Jane as compared to the Island.

mrs banjo & i remain fans of the small ships, and are not fans of the new mega ships, so we are saddened to see the smaller ships disappearing. We have sailed on the ryndam a number of times and will miss her.

That being said, we will continue to sail on the smaller ships and if that means on other lines, so be it. I'm sure hal is looking at the bottom line...... Hope it works out for them.

i agree!!

Thanks for the website, KK. I wondered what was going on with the proposal to build a new port west of the Skyway. OK, so Signature class can't get under the bridge, but what about the Vista class? Anyone know?

Got this email from Hal today.

Holland America Line has announced the transition of the ms Ryndam and ms Statendam to our sister brand, P&O Cruises in Australia. Taking place in November 2015, the transfer will be followed by the launch of our new Pinnacle-class ship - with a capacity of 2,648 guests - in February 2016. Between now and the ships' transfer, the Ryndam and Statendam will continue to deliver our renowned five-star service and onboard activities and sail to extraordinary destinations, including Europe, Alaska and the Caribbean.

So looks like November 2015 will be the last cruises for these two ships under Holland America before being transferred to P&O.

Edited by PathfinderEss

Got this email from Hal today.

Holland America Line has announced the transition of the ms Ryndam and ms Statendam to our sister brand, P&O Cruises in Australia. Taking place in November 2015, the transfer will be followed by the launch of our new Pinnacle-class ship - with a capacity of 2,648 guests - in February 2016. Between now and the ships' transfer, the Ryndam and Statendam will continue to deliver our renowned five-star service and onboard activities and sail to extraordinary destinations, including Europe, Alaska and the Caribbean.

So looks like November 2015 will be the last cruises for these two ships under Holland America before being transferred to P&O.

The article link in post #91 says the refurbs will be done in October, so the last sails for HAL would be September ... Ryndam from Europe, Statendam from AK. They will be joining the P&O fleet sailing in Nov. Edited by jtl513