RYNDAM & STATENDAM to P&O Australia

eroller

The article link in post #91 says the refurbs will be done in October, so the last sails for HAL would be September ... Ryndam from Europe, Statendam from AK. They will be joining the P&O fleet sailing in Nov.

I'm sure you are right, but I can't help it, that is the post I got from Holland yesterday, who said November 2015. Guess they don't know what they are talking about.

I'm sure you are right, but I can't help it, that is the post I got from Holland yesterday, who said November 2015. Guess they don't know what they are talking about.

I don't know which is right - just pointing out the discrepancy. The original article linked to in post #1 said "The ships will join the P&O Cruises fleet in November 2015 and itineraries are being developed for the expanded fleet."

On further checking, on the HAL site they are saying that you can book a 15 day Spanish Farewell leaving Barcelona on Oct 24, but the last cruise showing for the Statendam is a 14 day round trip out of Seattle Sep 7 to 21. Maybe they aren't going simultaneously, so that only the Statendam gets the refurb in October and actually starts carrying P&O passengers in November. :)

Edited by jtl513

This transfer was announced in a recent HAL Mariner email. I am surprised that there isn't a very active thread on the topic.

"Holland America Line will transfer ms Ryndam

and ms Statendam as new Pinnacle-class ship joins fleet

Holland America Line has announced the transition of the ms Ryndam and ms Statendam to our sister brand, P&O Cruises in Australia. Taking place in November 2015, the transfer will be followed by the launch of our new Pinnacle-class ship - with a capacity of 2,648 guests - in February 2016. Between now and the ships' transfer, the Ryndam and Statendam will continue to deliver our renowned five-star service and onboard activities and sail to extraordinary destinations, including Europe, Alaska and the Caribbean.

"

This transfer was announced in a recent HAL Mariner email. I am surprised that there isn't a very active thread on the topic.

Holland America Line has announced the transition of the ms Ryndam and ms Statendam to our sister brand, P&O Cruises in Australia. Taking place in November 2015, the transfer will be followed by the launch of our new Pinnacle-class ship - with a capacity of 2,648 guests - in February 2016. Between now and the ships' transfer, the Ryndam and Statendam will continue to deliver our renowned five-star service and onboard activities and sail to extraordinary destinations, including Europe, Alaska and the Caribbean.

"

All of that having been said: Should we be concerned that perhaps - just perhaps - pax-facing maintenance and upkeep (as opposed to machinery) - might suffer some as the transfer date nears? Thinking of things like paint, carpet, a/c, furniture, menu variety, things like that. With certain corners appearing to be cut fleet-wide, just concerned that these ships have become a kind of instant step-child -- despite what the PR department may say.

"

Very long thread here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2044589

What e-mail? I never received any e-mail from HAL and I am a 4 Star Mariner.

You wouldn't believe all the email I get from Hal now that I don't have several cruises booked with them. Before, I would only get emails to book shore ex. Now I'm their bestie. I'm also 4 star.

Edited by cruz chic

You wouldn't believe all the email I get from Hal now that I don't have several cruises booked with them. Before, I would only get emails to book shore ex. Now I'm their bestie. I'm also 4 star.

Another example of inconsistency!

Inconsistency has plagued HAL, in my opinion, for quite some time. Both in their on-shore operations as well as their on-board operations.

Another example of inconsistency!

Inconsistency has plagued HAL, in my opinion, for quite some time. Both in their on-shore operations as well as their on-board operations.

As far as I can see if they think they have you in their pocket you do not need to be "courted". Once you look like you're not, they are interested in keeping you. It's very annoying.

As far as I can see if they think they have you in their pocket you do not need to be "courted". Once you look like you're not, they are interested in keeping you. It's very annoying.

I do not disagree.

But, it used to be the experience one had on HAL Ship A was the exact same experience on HAL Ship B and HAL Ship C, etc.

That is no longer the case.

I now think the determining factor as to the quality of my on-board experience depends upon the Senior Management of the ship, i.e. the ship's Master, the Hotel Director, and maybe--not sure about this person--the Cruise Director. I really do think that the Master and the Hotel Director are the most important people aboard as far as guest satisfaction is concerned.

I do not disagree.

But, it used to be the experience one had on HAL Ship A was the exact same experience on HAL Ship B and HAL Ship C, etc.

I now think the determining factor as to the quality of my on-board experience depends upon the Senior Management of the ship, i.e. the ship's Master, the Hotel Director, and maybe--not sure about this person--the Cruise Director. I really do think that the Master and the Hotel Director are the most important people aboard as far as guest satisfaction is concerned.

Agree 100 per cent.

It's a sign HAL will remain mass market.

They lose money when they discount the S class.

But their newer builds aren't that big in comparison to the competition.

HAL better decide to go large or face getting stuck with Vistas and Pinnacles that can't compete with the discounts.

I do not disagree.

I concur with your post, rkacruiser.

Will hate to see the Statendam go.:) She holds a special place in my heart. Put my husband's ashes to sea off her.:cool: Won't miss the Ryndam for a minute. Got bronchitis on her due to a freezing stateroom. They could not move me since ship was full. Had to sleep in a hoodie. The damn ship was falling apart the last time I was on her. Industrial laundry was broken and most of the elevators too.:mad: All I can say now is good riddance. On another cruise HAL upgraded me (?) to a cabin above a bottle recycling depot. Not nice to wake up to the sound of smashing glass at 6:00AM on vacation.:mad::eek:

Edited by solocanadian

Since 2015 will be the Statendam's last season--at least this version of her--and since she will being the two week job out of Seattle all season, I think I might see if I can take this one for my Alaskan cruise in 2005.

There is actually an option for a second Pinnacle class ship for delivery somewhere in 2018-2019.

Unhappy to see that some of the smaller ships are being sold & 2 of them being replaced by a larger one. There has to be a market for those of us who like ships in the 1500 or so passengers without having to go to the ones that are twice as expensive. We don't mind not having bells & whistles & decor that rivals Las Vegas. The older, smaller ships have so much more character, and are much easier to get around.

Unhappy to see that some of the smaller ships are being sold & 2 of them being replaced by a larger one. There has to be a market for those of us who like ships in the 1500 or so passengers without having to go to the ones that are twice as expensive. We don't mind not having bells & whistles & decor that rivals Las Vegas. The older, smaller ships have so much more character, and are much easier to get around.

Exactly........:)

Well done. Would love to see what you could do with my photo:):):)

Hi solocanadian ! GOOD JOB !

As a graphic design teacher in a technical school in Quebec city, I can assure you that I like your composition.

I encourage you to continue your experiments in photo editing.

http://www.cfpmr.com/formations/infographie

Sad… but True, those two ships are gonna leave the fleet.

Is it a good deal for P&O Australia ? Thats I dont know...

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

FWIW, I am in the process of booking Ryndam's October 2015 transatlantic, which I think will be her final HAL voyage.

Roy

Your comment brought to mind a question I had. I am cruising the Statendam a few mos. before they are turned over to P and O, and does anyone know will the ships remain essentially the same (same Captains and crew furniture and equipment) right up to the transfer? Are we likely to see them removing artwork, or not replacing broken equipment or anything else prior to them turning over the ship? The Statendam has an excellent "crew" reputation, I'd hate to end up with a less than stellar crew, if they are moving the regular staff to their new assignments early...