RYNDAM & STATENDAM to P&O Australia

eroller

Your comment brought to mind a question I had. I am cruising the Statendam a few mos. before they are turned over to P and O, and does anyone know will the ships remain essentially the same (same Captains and crew furniture and equipment) right up to the transfer? Are we likely to see them removing artwork, or not replacing broken equipment or anything else prior to them turning over the ship? The Statendam has an excellent "crew" reputation, I'd hate to end up with a less than stellar crew, if they are moving the regular staff to their new assignments early...

I would think not, especially since the ship is going to a partner under the Carnival umbrella. I was on the final crossing of QE2 (the penultimate voyage before cruising Southampton to Dubai) and Cunard took the same care of the ship as always. The one thing that became a concern was souvenir hunting by fellow passengers.

Roy

... or not replacing broken equipment or anything else prior to them turning over the ship?
I can see them skipping non-essential repairs unless it's a minor thing.

... if they are moving the regular staff to their new assignments early...
I can see that happening too, if they are ending/starting contract periods.

I believe P&O is changing its color schemes and logos on its ships.
I've not heard anything about P&O Australia changing it's ship livery, only P&O UK (stylised Union Jack painted on the bow, dark blue funnels with gold rising sun logo).

I'm disappointed that this day has come, to say the least. I have a special fondness for the S-class ships, and the Ryndam in particular.

Thanks for the link, eroller.

I'm very late to this party. Been out of the country since the announcement, until a couple days ago.

Like RuthC I will miss dreadfully "my Ryndam".

I first sailed on Statendam when she was less than 5 years old. Every time I was a pax, it seems as if everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. YMMV, but she was 100% snakebit for me.

<snip>

I first sailed on Statendam when she was less than 5 years old. Every time I was a pax, it seems as if everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. YMMV, but she was 100% snakebit for me.

I feel that same way. Adios Statendam!

The Ryndam was my first HAL ship. She was only six weeks "old" back then and still was shining like a new penny. Four years later Carey and I honeymooned on the Ryndam. For obvious reasons she'll always have a special place in my cruising heart and mind.

• 1 month later...

New names announced today in a huge mural on the sand on Bondi Beach, Sydney -

Pacific Aria

Pacific Eden

Itineraries and home ports will be announced in the coming weeks.

Edited by MMDown Under

Pacific Aria

Pacific Eden

Awe, that makes me so sad. sigh Thanks for the information, but I don't like it, sorry.

Pacific Aria

Pacific Eden

Did they say who is who (who gets which name?) Tanks! - I would imagine they each get an overall white paint job at someone's dry-dock

...I am cruising the Statendam a few mos. before they are turned over to P and O, and does anyone know will the ships remain essentially the same (same Captains and crew furniture and equipment) right up to the transfer? Are we likely to see them removing artwork, or not replacing broken equipment or anything else prior to them turning over the ship? The Statendam has an excellent "crew" reputation, I'd hate to end up with a less than stellar crew, if they are moving the regular staff to their new assignments early...

Here you go:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057001&referrerid=17880

Did they say who is who (who gets which name?) Tanks! - I would imagine they each get an overall white paint job at someone's dry-dock

No.

I seem to recall that they will be keeping their blue "bottoms", but I can't remember from where.

This is sad news. I have wonderful memories of the Statendam and always wanted to sail on her again but never got the opportunity. I wish they'd come up with better names for those beautiful ships..hopefully they don't ruin them like they did with the old Regal Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt a thump in my stomach to read this.

We sailed all the "S" ships back to their Inaugural Seasons.

Sorry to see any leave the fleet.

Thanks for sharing the information..

Thanks for the information, though we already had a thread that reported the names awhile back.

Oh, so sorry for the repeat. Captain Albert stated the names were "recently" announced, and I didn't recall seeing the names in a thread before but I must have missed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Oh, so sorry for the repeat. Captain Albert stated the names were "recently" announced, and I didn't recall seeing the names in a thread before but I must have missed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Don't apologize. If there was a previous post about the new names, I missed it. I'm sure others missed it as well. Certainly not the first time we've had information repeated.

Again, thank you for posting it.