NCL or Princess Cruise

firerunner

GAWD I am going to be 50 next year!! So I am booking a cruise!

I want to do the Panama Canal in late nov or early dec My questions

1) Is that a good date to cruise the Panama Canal

2) Pros and Cons of these ships? NCL we are looking at Norwegian Pearl and Princess we are looking at Coral Princess. It is a partial transit for both (time constraints dictates we can only do a partial and not a full)

Suggestions??

I have not done a Panama Canal cruise so will let someone else respond about time of year, do believe Nov and Dec is the summer time for Panama. We have done a Mexican cruise in Nov and Dec, great weather, mild and warm, low humidity.

I have cruised both Princess and NCL. I am elite on Princess, over 22 cruises, only 3 cruises on NCL. I can tell you the Pearl is one of NCL newer ships. I have cruised on the Jade, a sister ship, had a mini suite very nice cabin. When I cruise Princess I cruise generally in a mini suite.

The main difference between the two lines are: NCL is a lot cheaper. NCL is very informal... Princess by comparison is more formal but still very casual. Princess in my opinion provides a more traditional cruise experience with both set times and anytime diningroom arrangements available. If I was celebrating a special time I would go with Princess. I have not been on the Coral but have heard from family it is a very nice ship.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I have been on two of the NCL Pearl's sister ships over 6 cruises. They are nice ships. I have also been on the Coral Princess. She is basically the same size as the Pearl. There are fewer passengers on the Coral.

As stated above, NCL is much more casual than Princess. I find Princess to have a quiet energy compared to NCL more frenetic energy.

We did a full transit of the Canal on the Coral. The crew then was the friendliest we had ever had at sea. She was a very happy ship. I've read that she still is (and hope she continues to be as we have a partial transit booked on her for January 2015.)

As far as time, we did the transit in January and had great weather. I've read that the rainy season is ending by December, remembering you are in the tropics and rain showers are possible at just about any time.

We have cruised on both Princess and NCL And are Platinum on both. We just returned from the Panama Canal cruise partial transit on the Coral. We loved it. We enjoyed the ship and the itinerary. We like the traditional dining on Princess compared to the freestyle on NCL. Also as the other post stated ,and I agree, on Princess you will see people dressed up a bit more. There are formal nights.

We did the Panama Canal cruise, full transit, in November 2013, on the Island Princess, a sister ship of the Coral. We had very nice weather on the transit, and nice weather in general. Just a little misty rain a little at times. We liked the ship and the cruise very much. At times the music was too loud, was my only complaint. But it wasn't always loud. I think a higher-up at Princess is ordering loud music because he is convinced it is a good idea, but it isn't.

Congrats on your 50th! It's mine too, ( and Husband's) and we are doing a full transit on Coral Princess to celebrate. Have no idea what it will be like - we are going in April.

We were planning to go on the Pearl, but we found that we could book a balcony for only slightly more on Princess, so that was a clincher for us.

Enjoy your celebrations :)

My very first cruise ever was on the Coral doing a partial transit of the Canal. It was such a wonderful experience that in the intervening 10 years I have taken 20 more Princess cruises, and have #21 and 22 already booked, and looking for more to book.

I know nothing about NCL except what I read on Cruise Critic, so can offer nothing there.

IMO, if you are looking for a cruise on a classy, but relaxed, type of ship, Princess is the way to go.

Love Princess for a more traditional cruise and it is great for a special trip (or any trip for me). We like a peaceful vacation most times and Princess is that.

That said if you choose NCL which we also liked for a free style cruise. Try for a suite, it was our first and is all they said it was and more. We had a suite twice last year on NCL and if they go where we want to go at the right time of year we will do it again.

Otherwise we will stay in our mini on Princess.

As for cost if it's a factor, our Deluxe Owners Suite on the Gem was a little less for 7 days than a week on any of our Princess trips. Hard to compare as with Princess it is generally longer trips.

We loved the canal cruise in 2001, never did the partial but a friend did on Princess a few years ago for her 50th. birthday and raved about it.

Have a great time regardless of which line you choose.

Princess= Quiet, traditional, but not boring for us.

NCL= Free style, louder, family's fun for us.

The NCL Pearl has the great outdoors open area on the aft of the ship and an inside observation area at the front (Spinnaker). Both are nice for the canal, and they usually open the crew deck on the bow during the canal transit.

The Princess Coral has fore and aft small observation decks on several decks and they are very nice for viewing in the canal. Coral also has the buffet at the front which is good for viewing.

Both ships are nice and you can't go wrong by selecting either for your canal experience.

thanks everyone for the suggestions

We still haven't decided but since we need a HC room it has to be decided soon or we wont get one!

We are leaning towards a suite and I think we will stick with Dec 2015 and hope the rainy season is almost over.

Now to decide between Princess and NCL.

We are pretty laid back people, so I am leaning towards NCL for that reason but I read alot of good things about Princess! And I guess I am worried, they say the NCL Pearl is a ship that is chartered ALOT.

argh well on a good note only 164 more days till we cruise!

I think Princess offers a better canal experience than NCI. The Coral was purpose built for canal cruising. The layout of the ship is very nice.

Coral and Island Princess we especially built for going through the Panama Canal. You just can't beat them for viewing the Canal! :)

LuLu