Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion

Nightowl11

I read on another post that the boat for this excursion is old and smells musty/mildewy. Has anyone recently gone on this tour? I have a son that is sensitive to weird smells so I'm not sure if we should go on this tour. Any suggestions for similar tours?

If you have concerns about the boat you can always rent a car and drive to Totem Bight and the Lighthouse on your own. Hard to miss bald eagles around Ketchikan; might take a little work to find a nest but the staff at the lighthouse or totem park might be able to help.

Or if you skip the Lighthouse you can take the city bus out to Totem Bight for $2.

I WOULD NOT!! Recommend the Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion. Been there and done that. You cruise by Totem Bright State park in the boat that stinks, an old Light House, they point out a few eagle nests, give you a snack and take you back to the dock. The boat looked like was about on its last legs. There are a lot of other things to do in Ketchikan. We are talking about taking the city bus out to Saxman Village next week.

While I can't say anything about the tour for this season (or problems), I would not recommend this tour. It is incredibly boring and over priced.

Just letting those who are booked on this in the future and can cancel.

• 1 year later...

We really enjoyed this tour! I did not detect any odors on the boat. Even in the inside when they served snacks. I found the information about the forest and clear cut areas interesting. We had wondered about some of the damage and the regrowth patterns. It was the only tour we took and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We would not do this tour again. You see enough eagles on an Alaskan cruise so I didn't find the eagles here a benefit. For totem poles, you pass by Totem Bight you should just go directly to Totem Bight park. The lighthouse is one of the least interesting lighthouse I have seen. There is so much to do in Ketchikan that this felt like a waste of time.

I am taking this tour in a few weeks. I don't know why some people on here don't like it. It has a high rating on tripadvisor with good reviews. If you look it up on tripadvisor you can find a lot of reviews on it.

We took this tour last year and I enjoyed it. The tour is on a boat with the exception of the bus ride in and out. The bus,ride had a great guide who gave a lot of local information to and ftom the boat. I liked the fact that once you were on the boat their were folks from different cruise ships, not just NCL. We saw a lot of eagles and some seals, no wales. We went by a historic lighthouse and learned the history and yes its true you see the backside of the totems. the crew was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. There was inside and outside viewing too. I wanted more so I booked the early tour through the ship then an independent tour through Wild wolf tours' which was a two hour nature hike in the rainforest and then a visit to the totem park where you could get up close and personal. Our guide took us in the back way to avoid the crowds and she also told us about each of the totems and what they meant. Have fun.

Chalk me up to an unhappy customer. You really don't see anything different than you would see from a cruise ship. Maybe because I have been to Alaska many times and had some great excursions --- I found this pretty mediocre. It is over priced for what you get and the scenery is nothing different than what I have seen before by being out on deck. Underwhelming is probably the best term I use for this tour.

I am rethinking doing this excursion. Has anyone else done anything here that is not too expensive? Under $100? That they enjoyed more than this.

We took the city bus to Totem Bight and Potlatch parks, $2 per person, and had a wonderful time. Same totems that you would see on this excursion, but you get to see them up close and take time to look at them.

We took the city bus to Totem Bight and Potlatch parks, $2 per person, and had a wonderful time. Same totems that you would see on this excursion, but you get to see them up close and take time to look at them.

How long was the wait for the bus? Were you able to get on the one you wanted? Best time to take it? Don't want to have to wait and take another bus because of long lines. Thanks.

How long was the wait for the bus? Were you able to get on the one you wanted? Best time to take it? Don't want to have to wait and take another bus because of long lines. Thanks.

No problem at all. Our ship arrived at 6:30 AM, but we didn't even try to get off that early. I think we took the bus more like 8-9 AM. We got there about 10 minutes early and there were only a few other people waiting. If we'd had a short port time and a tight schedule, we probably wouldn't have done it, but we had plenty of time.

No problem at all. Our ship arrived at 6:30 AM, but we didn't even try to get off that early. I think we took the bus more like 8-9 AM. We got there about 10 minutes early and there were only a few other people waiting. If we'd had a short port time and a tight schedule, we probably wouldn't have done it, but we had plenty of time.

Thanks. Will see how our time goes. I am traveling with someone who for sure doesn't like to wake up in the morning. Thanks.

I am taking this tour in a few weeks. I don't know why some people on here don't like it. It has a high rating on tripadvisor with good reviews. If you look it up on tripadvisor you can find a lot of reviews on it.

There are all kinds of people. and very seasoned Alaska posters on this board. You seem to give "tripadvisior" a lot of credit, but, knowing this area extensively and having been there repeatedly, it is not what I consider good, for what the cost is (and the frequent claim of prices on tours), in my opinion, money is better spent elsewhere.

I will also make one further- comment that will get flamed, but some of the "praises" of this tour, is from people who did little else. In those cases, of course- a "tour" is going to be looked at differently, then someone going on multiple tours.

You are taking this tour- your choice was made for YOUR reasons and interests. It should be right for you, with the research you have done. Enjoy yourself.

So now you are considering just going to Totem Bight? What is your port time? The bus is the Silver line, once per hour, from Front St 25 after the hour. Allow 3 hours, significant benefit to doing this early in your port day, then have later open. Print out and bring the Totem Guide with you. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

And this is #2 rated on Tripadvisor