credit card chip?

webetraveling

Andrews Federal Credit Union, very easy.... And no we are not military!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have you actually enrolled and gotten the C&P card? I'm asking because that was the CU I called. Then I researched others' experiences applying. Seemed like Andrews' verification process was very labor intensive. If I knew that most found it straight forward, I'd jump on it!

You have no idea how slow they are! We lived in Europe 30 years ago and in 1985 we were using our (swipe) credit cards at the gas pumps! That technology didn't make it to the US for almost 10 years!

We are now introducing 'tap and go' Credit Cards. Are they also being introduced in Europe?

I was in the process of calling my credit card banks today to alert them that I'll be traveling and I happened to ask AMEX about the chip and pin card. They are in the process of converting everyone but since I'm going to Europe in 10 days they moved me to the top of the list and my new, at no extra cost, Amex will be here Monday. Now if I can only find a restaurant or merchant who will accept it!

:D

I was in the process of calling my credit card banks today to alert them that I'll be traveling and I happened to ask AMEX about the chip and pin card. They are in the process of converting everyone but since I'm going to Europe in 10 days they moved me to the top of the list and my new, at no extra cost, Amex will be here Monday. Now if I can only find a restaurant or merchant who will accept it!

:D

Please come back and update us when you get the PIN. I already have an Amex card with a Chip, but when I spoke to them a few days ago they had no plans for introducing the full PIN technology. If you get one, great!

Also please let us know if the Chip and PIN works on your trip.

It is a Simplicity MasterCard. Supposedly pin is being mailed separately and I questioned the agent several times to confirm it is C&P not C&S. That being said, they have been wrong before.

I will post if it turns out to be a C&P.

I am eager to hear a report. BOA tried to give us one of their cards, swearing it was chip & pin, but it was chip & signature, with. 4-digit pin for ATMs. I hope yours is the real deal.

Andrews Federal Credit Union, very easy.... And no we are not military!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have the USAA, from Andrews, chip & pin card, received almost two years ago. We are non-military. We have been informed that they no longer allow non-military people to receive the card, but we can remain customers. How long have you had yours?

Sippican, when I called Andrews the CS told me that as long as I first joined the American Consumer Council I would qualify for Andrews CU membership and could apply for a Globe Trek Visa card. The CS told me it is "a true chip and pin" and that they are one of only a few sources for C$P card. She did not say that only military will be issued the card. Now I have not actually applied so I have no idea if I have received accurate info. After reading these posts, I'm not even sure if the card will be a true chip and pin since there seems to be some conflicting information and confusion between chip and pin vs chip and sign. I admit that I have no experience with either so have no way of knowing what will work and what might be a waste of time.

Could it be that USAA made arrangements with Andrews to issue the cards and Andrews also issues the cards to their members with each determining their own qualifications?

Boy is this getting complicated! I'm thinking about all those non CC members who are blissfully looking forward to,their river cruise without any thought about the credit card they will bring with them.

What do you mean by "labor intensive"?

OK let's see how well I remember the procedure. First I have to join The American Consumer Council because I need that membership number in order to apply for membership with Andrews CU. I can apply for the credit card when :applying for membership. Then I wait for emails with further instructions and will need to make arrangements for the initial deposit into the savings account which must be a electronic deposit. They will then email me instructions to complete the credit card application which the CS said would include sending them 2 forms of ID and any other income verification documents that they may need. Since I haven't actually applied, I am. Not sure how detailed any of the applications are or what additional documentation they will ask for. None of these steps are all that difficult but when you put them together and you can't actually go into a branch, I envision a lot of paperwork.....thus my description of labor intensive.

Since I did not give the CS any personal situation information, I am assuming that these steps apply to all applicants.

On the plus side the C&P card has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and offers rewards. I could not, however find any details on the rewards.

OK let's see how well I remember the procedure. First I have to join The American Consumer Council because I need that membership number in order to apply for membership with Andrews CU. I can apply for the credit card when :applying for membership. Then I wait for emails with further instructions and will need to make arrangements for the initial deposit into the savings account which must be a electronic deposit. They will then email me instructions to complete the credit card application which the CS said would include sending them 2 forms of ID and any other income verification documents that they may need. Since I haven't actually applied, I am. Not sure how detailed any of the applications are or what additional documentation they will ask for. None of these steps are all that difficult but when you put them together and you can't actually go into a branch, I envision a lot of paperwork.....thus my description of labor intensive.

Since I did not give the CS any personal situation information, I am assuming that these steps apply to all applicants.

On the plus side the C&P card has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and offers rewards. I could not, however find any details on the rewards.

Are these the steps for USAA?? All we did was call them and give our information...no hassle. Cards are supposedly in the mail already. We were told they are the most "current" type of card (chip and pin). Hopefully it's true.

From my post earlier on Pentagon Federal CU, both joining one of two veteran support organizations, opening an account (and depositing the initial $5 to open the PenFed CU account), and applying for the card were all done electronically. The only call I made was to confirm the card was a chip and pin card, which it was. Actually real easy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Are these the steps for USAA?? All we did was call them and give our information...no hassle. Cards are supposedly in the mail already. We were told they are the most "current" type of card (chip and pin). Hopefully it's true.

We spoke with USAA and ordered out C&P card. We were told that the first card that would be sent would be a standard and only then could we request a C&P. He said there is no other way to do. Sounds strange to me and he said many were turned off by the process, which takes 20 or so days, so opted not to pursue it. Will post how it goes.

Sitting at frankfurt airport right now after a week on the Amaprima and nine days in Prague and Budapest. Used credit card all the time without chip and the only time ut did not work was when purchasing a metronome pass at a kiosk in Budapest. I would not worry about it. BTW... the trip was exceptional and details to follow after two weeks with granddaughter.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Sitting at frankfurt airport right now after a week on the Amaprima and nine days in Prague and Budapest. Used credit card all the time without chip and the only time ut did not work was when purchasing a metronome pass at a kiosk in Budapest. I would not worry about it. BTW... the trip was exceptional and details to follow after two weeks with granddaughter.

Thank you for posting your actual experience with swipe credit cards. I'm glad to hear that your trip was a good one, I'm sure made even better because of the special time with your granddaughter. Will be looking forward to your review.

No, this was for the Andrews Credit Union card. I didn't see any mention of USAA on the Andrews site.

USAA and Andrews FCU are two distinct entities. I've been a USAA member for close to 50 years :eek: and haver never seen anything in USAA mailings that referred to any FCU. USAA is both an insurance company and a full service bank.

We did AMAPrima from Amsterdam to Budapest last year and used our standard swipe card without a Chip and never had a problem. We did not use any unmanned kiosks, however.

We are going on the AMASonata for a Christmas cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam) and plan to do more self touring post cruise, including by train do want to have a chip & pin card this time just in case.

And FYI, the PenFed card came as a Chip & Pin the first time. No need to get it and then request it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name=Host have an Amex card with a Chip, but when I spoke to them a few days ago they had no plans for introducing the full PIN technology. If you get one, great!

Also please let us know if the Chip and PIN works on your trip.[/quote]

Jazzbeau: I will, although I doubt I will be using it because 1. the conversion fee is too high and 2. I have discovered that many (most) merchants and resturants will NOT take Amex, with or without chip, because Amex charges them too much. I only bring it with me because it's a business card and I have found Amex to be most helpful when I needed them. They did tell me that it would take a year of so to convert all their customers, but since I asked for it (and I wonder if it being my business card has anything to do with it) they offered to change it now. I am not certain whether it's chip and sign or chip and pin or some other card with a chip.

We spoke with USAA and ordered out C&P card. We were told that the first card that would be sent would be a standard and only then could we request a C&P. He said there is no other way to do. Sounds strange to me and he said many were turned off by the process, which takes 20 or so days, so opted not to pursue it. Will post how it goes.

That is exactly the process we followed when we got our card.

Eagerly awaiting your review.

I called Wells Fargo today and while talking to the CS, I asked about a C&P card. She said they have them and I could request one. I asked 3 times if they were C&P or chip and sign and each time she said that they were chip and pin. She said that the pin is preset. Now I have no way of knowing if I was given the correct info. I did not request one as I am going to do some research and see if they are true chip and pin. I know they have a foreigho transaction fee but in a pinch it might be an option. Anyone have experience with Wells Fargo cards?

I called Wells Fargo today and while talking to the CS, I asked about a C&P card. She said they have them and I could request one. I asked 3 times if they were C&P or chip and sign and each time she said that they were chip and pin. She said that the pin is preset. Now I have no way of knowing if I was given the correct info. I did not request one as I am going to do some research and see if they are true chip and pin. I know they have a foreigho transaction fee but in a pinch it might be an option. Anyone have experience with Wells Fargo cards?

That sounds like the right information because on a true Chip & PIN card the PIN is preset, while on debit cards you can choose/change it. I think someone mentioned that there is a hybrid type card which defaults to Chip & Signature but does have a PIN for use when necessary -- that's what the description below for Wells Fargo sounds like to me.

According to bankrate:

"Several other U.S. issuers offer chip-and-PIN cards for some of their credit cards. Bank of America and several credit unions offer chip-and-PIN cards, while Citi and Wells Fargo offer the option of entering a PIN if the retailer supports it. "

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/chase-switches-to-chip-and-pin/

That sounds like the right information because on a true Chip & PIN card the PIN is preset, while on debit cards you can choose/change it. I think someone mentioned that there is a hybrid type card which defaults to Chip & Signature but does have a PIN for use when necessary -- that's what the description below for Wells Fargo sounds like to me.

According to bankrate:

"Several other U.S. issuers offer chip-and-PIN cards for some of their credit cards. Bank of America and several credit unions offer chip-and-PIN cards, while Citi and Wells Fargo offer the option of entering a PIN if the retailer supports it. "

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/chase-switches-to-chip-and-pin/

Thanks, Jazzbeau. I read the article and you are right, it appears that the info I was given is correct.

Here is the interesting thing. I have two BofA cards (Alaska Airlines), one with a chip (Chip & Signature) and the other without. Several websites indicate that some BofA cards, including those through Alaska Air, do offer a Chip & Pin option but I have called and that does not appear to be the case as of now. It even says on their FAQ that do not offer Chip & Pin technology:

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not currently offer chip & PIN technology.

Here is the link to the FAQ:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/chip-and-signature-faq.go?request_locale=en-US

So I guess you need to call multiple times and talk to someone at each institution who know REALLY knows the difference between Chip & Signature and Chip & Pin.

Here is the interesting thing. I have two BofA cards (Alaska Airlines), one with a chip (Chip & Signature) and the other without. Several websites indicate that some BofA cards, including those through Alaska Air, do offer a Chip & Pin option but I have called and that does not appear to be the case as of now. It even says on their FAQ that do not offer Chip & Pin technology:

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not currently offer chip & PIN technology.

Here is the link to the FAQ:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/chip-and-signature-faq.go?request_locale=en-US

So I guess you need to call multiple times and talk to someone at each institution who know REALLY knows the difference between Chip & Signature and Chip & Pin.

I hope some day they will ..