credit card chip?

webetraveling

Apparently the Credit Card phone workers still don't know what to tell customers as our original information was incorrect.

We received our USAA cards in the mail and activated them. Called USAA to find out if they were indeed Chip & Pin and lo and behold they aren't! Surprise, surprise! They will now send out cards in 7 days that ARE Chip and Pin with a separate letter giving the pin numbers.

Feel like I've been on this merry-go-round before!

And we probably won't even use these cards in July! Prefer to use my CapitalOne with NO transaction fee.

Here is the interesting thing. I have two BofA cards (Alaska Airlines), one with a chip (Chip & Signature) and the other without. Several websites indicate that some BofA cards, including those through Alaska Air, do offer a Chip & Pin option but I have called and that does not appear to be the case as of now. It even says on their FAQ that do not offer Chip & Pin technology:

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not currently offer chip & PIN technology.

Here is the link to the FAQ:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/chip-and-signature-faq.go?request_locale=en-US

So I guess you need to call multiple times and talk to someone at each institution who know REALLY knows the difference between Chip & Signature and Chip & Pin.

I've read this too. They almost always say it's chip and signature. You can get a PIN for cash withdrawal at an ATM, which they say won't work as chip and PIN.

BUT I have used my BofA Travel Rewards Visa, with a chip, as a chip and PIN card in an unattended kiosk in Switzerland to buy tram tickets. The machine insisted on a PIN, and I entered the PIN that I have. It worked, and they treated it as a charge, not as a cash advance. Go figure.

Bottom line: the technology is evolving. Try it. It might work!

Edited by jpalbny

Just an update that my Citi Pin for my new C&P card arrived today.

Also, I was quite surprised when using my Amex Platinum Chip and Signature at Walmart this weekend, their POS system recognized it as such and processed it differently.

My Citi PIN and new card with a chip also arrived today.

But I was able to go on their website and change the PIN, so this isn't a true Chip and PIN card. [The PIN has to be burned into the chip so that off-line kiosks can validate it.] But it should work in more places in Europe.

My Citi PIN and new card with a chip also arrived today.

But I was able to go on their website and change the PIN, so this isn't a true Chip and PIN card. [The PIN has to be burned into the chip so that off-line kiosks can validate it.] But it should work in more places in Europe.

Yes, that was my thought when I received the PIN.

Back to the drawing board.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update on my search for a true Chip & PIN card:

• one apparently complete success: Barclay Arrival Plus -- comes with Chip and preassigned PIN which they say clearly is a full-on credit-card PIN; you can change the PIN (that raises a red flag, because I thought the PIN was burned into the Chip -- but they explain that you have to use it once at a staffed location in Europe, then the card will be updated for use in kiosks with your new PIN) -- no Foreign Transaction Fees, excellent rewards (2% on everything and an extra 10% if you redeem for travel expenses), big points bonus in first three months, annual fee waived the first year.

Citi now issues cards with Chip and ATM PIN -- some CC posters say they have been able to use the ATM PIN in Europe for credit card transactions -- but the Citi cards I have charge 3% Foreign Transaction Fee.

Amex Platinum cards can be reissued with Chip -- but no PIN, so they will only work if your salesperson knows how to do "Chip & Sign" procedure [note: this is the full-on Platinum card with $450 annual fee and no waiver, not the Delta card that also says "platinum"]. Other Amex cards don't even have the Chip option yet

• there are a couple of credit unions that have full Chip & PIN, but joining them is somewhat complicated

Chase will be switching all its cards to Chip & PIN by the end of the year, but that doesn't help for travel this summer

I'm hoping the Barclaycard is just what I need for my next trip. :)

Just got back from 2 weeks in France. We stayed in a condo in Normandy and it was truly in the French countryside. We went to local grocery stores for food, etc and used the toll roads to get to the D- Day beaches and other places in France. We also spent a few days in an apartment in Paris. Our Wells Fargo Private Bank Visa Signature Card worked almost everywhere. And it has no foreign transaction fees. It is a chip and signature. It worked in the local grocery stores and in the motorway toll booths (did not have to sign), and at gas stations. In one store the clerk did not know how to handle it but her supervisor did. Only place it did not work was trying to get a ticket for a funicular in Lyon. We had to go next door and get coins from the tourist office. Our friends who were traveling with us had issues with a regular swipe card.

This card is now working as a chip card without signature at Walmart. But it still does not ask me for my pin number. I have a pin with this card and no one has ever asked for the pin.

I think the whole chip and pin card thing is in a state of transition. Hopefully it will sorted out soon!

Here's an update on my search for a true Chip & PIN card:

• one apparently complete success: Barclay Arrival Plus -- comes with Chip and preassigned PIN which they say clearly is a full-on credit-card PIN; you can change the PIN (that raises a red flag, because I thought the PIN was burned into the Chip -- but they explain that you have to use it once at a staffed location in Europe, then the card will be updated for use in kiosks with your new PIN) -- no Foreign Transaction Fees, excellent rewards (2% on everything and an extra 10% if you redeem for travel expenses), big points bonus in first three months, annual fee waived the first year.

Citi now issues cards with Chip and ATM PIN -- some CC posters say they have been able to use the ATM PIN in Europe for credit card transactions -- but the Citi cards I have charge 3% Foreign Transaction Fee.

Amex Platinum cards can be reissued with Chip -- but no PIN, so they will only work if your salesperson knows how to do "Chip & Sign" procedure [note: this is the full-on Platinum card with $450 annual fee and no waiver, not the Delta card that also says "platinum"]. Other Amex cards don't even have the Chip option yet

• there are a couple of credit unions that have full Chip & PIN, but joining them is somewhat complicated

Chase will be switching all its cards to Chip & PIN by the end of the year, but that doesn't help for travel this summer

I'm hoping the Barclaycard is just what I need for my next trip. :)

All Australian C/C cards are chip and pin and we always change our pin numbers when we first get them.

I have 2 cards both with the same PIN and DH has 3 cards all with his PIN.

I would not be at all concerned about being able to change the PIN.

All Australian C/C cards are chip and pin and we always change our pin numbers when we first get them.

I have 2 cards both with the same PIN and DH has 3 cards all with his PIN.

I would not be at all concerned about being able to change the PIN.

Thanks! A little engineering knowledge can get you [me] in a LOT of trouble!!!

In the UK we have had chip & pin for yonks and the only way to change your PIN number is through an ATM machine so as I don't use them I just remember my numbers. As we have to have chip & pin all card companies provide them but I have been happy with Barclaycard so stick with them.

Happy cruising all.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a new (German) card (the old one expired) and a sticker on the card plus the letter advised me that with this new card I might be asked for my PIN and that I should remember it. Went to my local supermarket... had to use the PIN - while the old card worked with chip and signature...

So seems like over here in Germany they do change to chip & PIN. But of course the machines are still able to read chip only or the magnetic stripe.

steamboats

We had no trouble using the old style in Amsterdam. don't panic if you don't have one. More troublesome for us was the fact that we use a local bank, not a huge chain such as Chase or Citibank for checking and we were informed that our account might be frozen after the first withdrawal, then we would have to go through the process of contacting them.

A true chip and pin does not allow the pin to be changed as it is imbedded. This is the reason they are more secure.

We did have issues at the train station in Amsterdam as they would not accept our chip and NO imbedded pin card to purchase tickets.

Still on the hunt for a true c&p card.

We just returned from a Danube trip, Prague to Budapest. Generally, our "regular" swipe card (which we like to use for the perks) was accepted, although many made it clear they preferred local currency.

There was one exception. When attempting to purchase a 24 hour metro card in Budapest, our first card would not work. We switched to our USAA card and were able to complete the transaction. Out companions had a Citibank card and were issued a pin from Citibank. They were assured before the trip that it was a true chip & pin card that would work in Europe. Well, it would not. Luckily we were able to purchase the pass for them, otherwise they would have been unable to do so. (most stations in the city are transitioning to the unmanned kiosks, with no other options for ticket purchase from a live person).

We just returned from a Danube trip, Prague to Budapest. Generally, our "regular" swipe card (which we like to use for the perks) was accepted, although many made it clear they preferred local currency.

There was one exception. When attempting to purchase a 24 hour metro card in Budapest, our first card would not work. We switched to our USAA card and were able to complete the transaction. Out companions had a Citibank card and were issued a pin from Citibank. They were assured before the trip that it was a true chip & pin card that would work in Europe. Well, it would not. Luckily we were able to purchase the pass for them, otherwise they would have been unable to do so. (most stations in the city are transitioning to the unmanned kiosks, with no other options for ticket purchase from a live person).

This subject has been an ongoing issue so I'm glad to read about your experience. You mentioned needing a credit card to purchase a metro card in Budapest-is there a cash option with the machines? Speaking of cash, any comments on obtaining cash in Budapest? I understand that the ATMs give out large bills unlike Germany which will usually give €20. Did you use an ATM in the Prague airport and any suggestions for ATMs by the Hilton Old Town. Whew! Thanks......once again.:)

A true chip and pin does not allow the pin to be changed as it is imbedded. This is the reason they are more secure.

That is simply not true.

As other posters have indicated, in countries where Chip & PIN has been widely adopted for some years now the pin number can be easily changed at an ATM for example.

The security of the Chip & PIN system is in no way dependent upon an embedded PIN.

Some issuers may have elected to prevent users from changing their PIN, but I suspect that says more about the flexibility of their IT systems than any measure of security ...

That is simply not true.

As other posters have indicated, in countries where Chip & PIN has been widely adopted for some years now the pin number can be easily changed at an ATM for example.

The security of the Chip & PIN system is in no way dependent upon an embedded PIN.

Some issuers may have elected to prevent users from changing their PIN, but I suspect that says more about the flexibility of their IT systems than any measure of security ...

It is true according to AMEX and the other Credit card companies I have spoken with who offer a chip and a PIN that can be changed.

My Citi Visa, which they claim to be a chip and pin, has a pin that can be changed. This did not work at chip and pin locations in Europe. That is the reason I was given.

It is true according to AMEX and the other Credit card companies I have spoken with who offer a chip and a PIN that can be changed.

There is something odd about what some USA based issuers are doing with their cards I suspect.

A changeable PIN is not a determinant of a 'true' Chip & PIN card, pretty much every UK issued credit card has been Chip & PIN for some years now and all have changeable PINs. My UK issued cards seem to work just fine across Europe.

It is a Simplicity MasterCard. Supposedly pin is being mailed separately and I questioned the agent several times to confirm it is C&P not C&S. That being said, they have been wrong before.

I will post if it turns out to be a C&P.

The only Chip and Pin credit card from Citibank is a corporate card.

You are not getting a Chip and Pin card credit card. Are you sure that the card is a pure credit card and not one of the stupid Visa or Mater cards that can also be used at there ATM for cash withdrawal? All ATMS want a pin, put that does not mean the pin is embedded in the chip. It means the bank will verify the pin you enter into the ATM.

That is simply not true.

A true Chip and PIN has the PIN number embedded in the chip. How else do you think it is verified?

A true Chip and PIN has the PIN number embedded in the chip. How else do you think it is verified?

It is stored on the chip and on the mag strip. It is not embedded on it.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

This subject has been an ongoing issue so I'm glad to read about your experience. You mentioned needing a credit card to purchase a metro card in Budapest-is there a cash option with the machines? Speaking of cash, any comments on obtaining cash in Budapest? I understand that the ATMs give out large bills unlike Germany which will usually give €20. Did you use an ATM in the Prague airport and any suggestions for ATMs by the Hilton Old Town. Whew! Thanks......once again.:)

One person in our group found a station in Budapest that had a manned booth, from which she purchased. Yes, you could use cash (local currency). There was also a cash option in the Vienna metro station. We used ATMs to obtain cash in Budapest (once at the Gellert Spa, and the other from a street corner Bankomat). The currency in Hungary is based on a system that seems like everything costs a fortune - thousands of HUF! The bills were large but it was no problem. I love my currency converter phone app - OANDA Currency Converter - it worked once downloaded from the internet onboard in each port without using data. In Prague, we only got currency once, right at the airport ATM.

We tried very hard to get rid of our currencies. We gave our CZK as additional tips onboard (figuring the crew was going to be in Prague again).

You are using the word 'embedded' inaccurately.

The chip is embedded in the card, the PIN is stored on the chip.

The PIN stored on the card can be changed.

The chip embedded in the card cannot be changed .

Ok, semantics here. Same principle as the PIN is not changeable.

Except that the PIN is changeable, I change all the PINs on my UK issued cards for example and they work just fine across Europe.

If your issuer does not permit the PIN to be changed it is down to the limitations of their equipment, not some limit common to all Chip & PIN cards.

Edited by Mark_T