credit card chip?

webetraveling

We also have a BofA Travel Rewards Visa. NB: though these are all advertised as chip and signature, they all have PINs, ostensibly for ATM use...

That's the one I just got! And I called BofA explaining that it needed to be for chip and sig and they insisted it was.

I don't believe they are well versed in what that means which is why they say yes to everything.

In the UK, I tried to use my Amex Platinum - no go (which surprised me). Luckily I have a chip and pin card from the UK so I can use that if need be.

May be looking into the Barclays one mentioned here though.

Y

Yet it has worked exactly as a chip and PIN card on the few occasions that I've used it - both the BOA card and the AMEX platinum card. Go figure...

This is interesting. On AMEX Platinum, are you referring to 4 digit PIN on front of card?

This is interesting. On AMEX Platinum, are you referring to 4 digit PIN on front of card?

A PIN number will not be on your card.

From what I can understand about cards issued in the US if you get a credit card only you are not issued with a PIN - you always have to sign. In AUS we are always issued with a pin and up until now you can either choose to remember your pin and enter it instead of signing. From August 1 you must use your pin.

In the US if you are issued with a combined ATM and Credit Card you are issued with a PIN for the ATM function but told you cannot use it with the credit card function. Some members on here have discovered that the PIN does work internationally on their Credit Card.

Please correct me if this is not correct. :D

A PIN number will not be on your card.

From what I can understand about cards issued in the US if you get a credit card only you are not issued with a PIN - you always have to sign. In AUS we are always issued with a pin and up until now you can either choose to remember your pin and enter it instead of signing. From August 1 you must use your pin.

In the US if you are issued with a combined ATM and Credit Card you are issued with a PIN for the ATM function but told you cannot use it with the credit card function. Some members on here have discovered that the PIN does work internationally on their Credit Card.

Please correct me if this is not correct. :D

You are incorrect, about the chip and pin. :rolleyes: you are correct that the pin doesn't appear on the card.

At least one US bank issues a chip and pin credit card with no debit function (not linked to a bank account). The give you a pin, in a separate mailing, when it have used it in a chip reader I always enter the pin.

Edited by CPT Trips

You are incorrect. :rolleyes:

At least one US bank issues a chip and pin credit card with no debit function (not linked to a bank account). The give you a pin, in a separate mailing, when it have used it in a chip reader I always enter the pin.

That's good as that means after August 1 down here that will be the only credit card you will be able to use.

As others have said, not that number. The 4-digit number on the front of your AMEX is the CVV number, which you sometimes enter when making an online or telephone purchase. It (theoretically) proves that you are in possession of the card when you make the purchase.

Your PIN is supposedly only for cash withdrawals from ATMs, which would be treated as a cash advance on your CC. Banks love it when you take cash advances; they hit you with a few % up front and charge interest from the day you take the advance. Just about every CC we've had has come with a PIN to be used for this purpose.

But I've been able to use that PIN to make purchases on occasion, just like a chip and PIN CC.

As others have said, not that number. The 4-digit number on the front of your AMEX is the CVV number, which you sometimes enter when making an online or telephone purchase. It (theoretically) proves that you are in possession of the card when you make the purchase.

Your PIN is supposedly only for cash withdrawals from ATMs, which would be treated as a cash advance on your CC. Banks love it when you take cash advances; they hit you with a few % up front and charge interest from the day you take the advance. Just about every CC we've had has come with a PIN to be used for this purpose.

But I've been able to use that PIN to make purchases on occasion, just like a chip and PIN CC.

I agree with you we have a chip card with no pin # ..

The 4 digits on the front of your Amex is the security code. On most other cards it's a 3 or 4 digit number on the back of the card. Pin number is supposed to be specific to the card holder and would therefore not be printed anywhere on the card.

Not an endorsement for Sams but it looks like some retailers are moving in the "chip" cc direction.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/sams-club-to-issue-mastercard-branded-card-with-security-chip-1401877261

Another review here… seems like Walmart terminals are 'chip and pin ready'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/business/sams-club-plans-a-safer-credit-card.html?_r=0

My chip & pin card has a pin that works for cash withdrawals/advances OR in a chip & pin reader overseas. I had to set the pin myself after I received the card. It syncs with the card the first time I use an online chip & pin terminal, and from that point on the pin is stored within the card's chip and can be used in both an online or offline terminal.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about our Barclay's chip & pin card. I wish they offered a referral program so I could make money off my enthusiasm (supposedly that's in the works). We've already saved over $1250 off our upcoming trip from rewards points/bonuses we've earned since getting our cards in February.

After reading all the posts, many of which are about chip and pin but not actually about personal difficulties using a swipe card, I am thinking that most of us will not have a problem in Europe, at least for the time being. If someone plans to travel extensively pre or post cruise, rent a car, use trains, stay in small non touristy places, dine in restaurants that don't see many US tourists then you may want to get a chip and pin card. The rest of us don't need to panic and if a back up plan will give you peace of mind....go for it. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, chip and pin in the US is on the horizon and hopefully we all will have those cards before Europe cuts us off. As for Australia, I have not researched their situation to see if some tourist oriented establishments will continue to accept swipe cards. If this isn't possible, I hope every U S tourist planning to visit Australia is made aware of this.....sure could be a huge shock to some.

Finally, every credit card, no matter what type, has the potential to be refused and frequent travelers will advise you to not only have more than one card, more than one ATM card and possible some cash that can be exchanged in an emergency.

Happy travels everyone!

Sharon

After reading all the posts, many of which are about chip and pin but not actually about personal difficulties using a swipe card, I am thinking that most of us will not have a problem in Europe, at least for the time being. If someone plans to travel extensively pre or post cruise, rent a car, use trains, stay in small non touristy places, dine in restaurants that don't see many US tourists then you may want to get a chip and pin card. The rest of us don't need to panic and if a back up plan will give you peace of mind....go for it. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, chip and pin in the US is on the horizon and hopefully we all will have those cards before Europe cuts us off. As for Australia, I have not researched their situation to see if some tourist oriented establishments will continue to accept swipe cards. If this isn't possible, I hope every U S tourist planning to visit Australia is made aware of this.....sure could be a huge shock to some.

Finally, every credit card, no matter what type, has the potential to be refused and frequent travelers will advise you to not only have more than one card, more than one ATM card and possible some cash that can be exchanged in an emergency.

Happy travels everyone!

Sharon

The problem for American tourists after August 1st will not be whether their CC is a chip or swipe but whether or not they have a 4 digit pin number. After August 1st no retailer in Australia will be able to accept a signature. This new law was put in place to try and eliminate credit card fraud not to pick on Americans. For the like of me I cannot understand why some people simply don't research the monetary and credit card requirements of the countries you plan to travel to. The slow way in which American banking institutions are approaching the methods required for universal use of your credit card borders on arrogance.

The world is changing and to enjoy your next overseas holiday you too will have to change the way you use your credit card.

The problem for American tourists after August 1st will not be whether their CC is a chip or swipe but whether or not they have a 4 digit pin number. After August 1st no retailer in Australia will be able to accept a signature. This new law was put in place to try and eliminate credit card fraud not to pick on Americans. For the like of me I cannot understand why some people simply don't research the monetary and credit card requirements of the countries you plan to travel to. The slow way in which American banking institutions are approaching the methods required for universal use of your credit card borders on arrogance.

The world is changing and to enjoy your next overseas holiday you too will have to change the way you use your credit card.

Well not quite, As of August 1 2014, ALL Australian credit card holders will fall under this new law but not cards that are from overseas (tourists). The "imbedded chip" (better have one) has a 2 digit country code that tells the CC processing terminals if the credit card being presented is an Australian card or an overseas card.

Interesting article have a read... This is of course the beginning of the end to magnetic cards.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/australian-credit-cards-boost-security-as-chip-and-pin-deadline-approaches/

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

The slow way in which American banking institutions are approaching the methods required for universal use of your credit card borders on arrogance.

What? You think our bankers--who nearly destroyed the world economy in 2008 (not to mention my retirement funds)--are arrogant? Why--oh, right...um, yes...you have a point...

Edited by Langoustine

I am thinking that most of us will not have a problem in Europe, at least for the time being. If someone plans to travel extensively pre or post cruise, rent a car, use trains, stay in small non touristy places, dine in restaurants that don't see many US tourists then you may want to get a chip and pin card. The rest of us don't need to panic and if a back up plan will give you peace of mind....go for it.

Since we do all or most of those things on every trip to Europe, it is definitely a concern for us. For those who only cruise or who book end to end with the cruise line and do no independent travel, it may be a non issue.

I called Citi on Wednesday and had my chip and pin arrive yesterday.

Since we do all or most of those things on every trip to Europe, it is definitely a concern for us. For those who only cruise or who book end to end with the cruise line and do no independent travel, it may be a non issue.

So pleased that you got a chip and pin card so easily.

Which Citi card did you get? I just did a search of their site and found some some chip & signature cards, but only the Corporate with chip & pin.

Happy travels everyone!

Sharon

We did start having trouble with swipe cards around 2009/2010, in ticket machines, gas pumps, etc. Thus I finally found a chip card (it was difficult in 2011, though much easier now).

I think you make some really nice points in your post. I definitely agree with your sentiments that if you travel independently, you're much more likely to need one. That has been our experience; we would not be able to be as independent as we are without chip CCs. Though to be 100% fair, I will admit that I have not tried a swipe card in a train station kiosk in several years.

You are also right on that having more than one card is vital. We've definitely had random instances where one card won't work but another will.

When all of this started ~5 years ago, MC and Visa originally stuck to their party line of, "All merchants who accept MC/Visa are obligated to take swipe cards as part of their agreement with us, so US travelers do not need one..." And true to this, we did find that hotels and restaurants in tourist areas would process our swipe cards without difficulty. However, the proliferation of unattended payment kiosks, and the Target data breach, have finally put an end to this nonsense.

What I've read is that by late 2015, the MC/Visa will no longer "eat" the fraud costs for any swipe CC fraud. Instead, the responsible party will have to bear those costs - and "responsible" is defined as the party who prevented the transaction from being a chip transaction. So if I read this correctly, a merchant who doesn't upgrade their CC reader to chip technology, and continues to accept swipe cards, will be responsible for any losses due to fraudulent charges. Similarly, MC/Visa will hold the issuing bank responsible for the fraudulent charges if they haven't issued the consumer a chip card. Some incentive, finally!

A few articles for anyone interested:

http://www.tsys.com/acquiring/engage/white-papers/United-States-EMV-Adoption.cfm

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/06/october-2015-the-end-of-the-swipe-and-sign-credit-card/

It sounds like you travel like we do. I'm surprised you've not found a need for a chip card sooner than now.

Which Citi card did you get? I just did a search of their site and found some some chip & signature cards, but only the Corporate with chip & pin.

It is a Simplicity MasterCard. Supposedly pin is being mailed separately and I questioned the agent several times to confirm it is C&P not C&S. That being said, they have been wrong before.

I will post if it turns out to be a C&P.

The slow way in which American banking institutions are approaching the methods required for universal use of your credit card borders on arrogance.

You have no idea how slow they are! We lived in Europe 30 years ago and in 1985 we were using our (swipe) credit cards at the gas pumps! That technology didn't make it to the US for almost 10 years!

You may have misunderstood my attitude toward C&P cards. I would welcome it if my current card issuers were to switch to this type. As for researching the places I plan to visit, believe me I do that and have already made sure my swipe card will be accepted where is is necessary for us to use it. The independent part of our next trip is such that cash will work just fine in the majority of instances. I am not planning a trip to Australia in the near future, Si I am not yet doing any research. I do thank you for bringing the Australian law to my attention and as you advised, I hope all planning to visit are aware of it also.

After reading all the posts, I felt that some were rushing to apply for a C & P card fearing that their swipe card would be refused once they arrived in Europe. I was only pointing out that, while those who travel independently may well have problems but that there are also those travelers who will not.

I don't think that most of us are opposed to a C & P card but many if not most US issuers aren't offering them at this time. I won't go into the reasons or consequences, it is what it is....for the time being. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to a C&P card. After researching who is offering them, I called one credit union and I was put off by their very involved process. I then read reviews from those who had applied and found that there were just too many hoops to jump thru'.i am not giving up and if I find a good source for a C&P card I will certainly apply but in the meantime I'm not going to panic.