Receiving discount from quarantine

Why do you feel you deserve a discount because you got sick?

I could be wrong but it sounds like the OP was told they would receive a discount and wondered about the details of receiving it. Saw nothing in their post inferring they "deserved" a discount:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I don't feel that we deserved one, but royal is giving us one. And I personally will take things given to me.

"As a gesture of goodwill, royal Caribbean will be providing you with a credit that may be applied to one of our future sailings"

We received this letter in our stateroom on the last day of sailing, and I'm just wondering what kind of credit others have received. On board they couldn't tell us. We didn't ask for this, they already were nice enough to allow my husband all the movies he wanted to rent and free soda/water from the stateroom mini bar. He was only quarantined 26 hours.

RCI has been automatically doing this for many passengers affected by Noro outbreaks for a while now. Nothing to do with the OP feeling they deserve it.

Yup! We were just left a letter stating that we will go something. I was just wondering what others have gotten. I'm nosy :D

While there are people who seem to want to be compensated for every little thing that goes wrong, it is presumptuous to infer that those who are quarantined due to noro feel they "deserve" a discount. It is offered by the cruise line in large part to encourage people to turn themselves in if they get sick.

My wife was quarantined for one day on the Grandeur a few months ago. She received a $72 future cruise credit which was based on the cost of our cabin and the duration of the cruise.

A few years ago I was quarantined for 4 days on the Zenith. I received $400.

Neither of us requested any comp and we did not feel we deserved any just because we got sick. And we don't deserve any snarky comments.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

OP, my experience has been you will receive a letter from RCI in about 4-6 weeks time with instructions of how much credit and how to redeem.

Reading comprehension not a strong suit. Have coffee, try again.

Just a heads up! We also received a letter saying we were entitled to a 10 percent of our present cruise discount on our next cruise because of inconvenience. We were pleasantly surprised.

Finished our cruise, returned home, forgot about it and 6 months later while booking our next cruise, thought of it. Found the letter in which it stated we would receive a voucher within 6 weeks. Had never received it.

Called RCCI and they said that it had never been issued as it should have been. So, very nice of the ship customer service to give the discount to us, BUT, make sure you actually receive the voucher because you have to send it to them before final payment.

Makes you wonder how many of these are not issued by the cruise line and forgotten by the guest.

Perhaps I am being cynical but happy to be using the extra discount on our upcoming cruise.

Ellen

I was quarantined for a day. I had a letter the last day of the cruise saying something would be in the mail for my credit. I got the cost of 1 day on the ship that cruise, as a future discount. It could have been a % I don't remember.

I didn't ask, it was just done by RCL.

Just a heads up! We also received a letter saying we were entitled to a 10 percent of our present cruise discount on our next cruise because of inconvenience. We were pleasantly surprised.

Finished our cruise, returned home, forgot about it and 6 months later while booking our next cruise, thought of it. Found the letter in which it stated we would receive a voucher within 6 weeks. Had never received it.

Called RCCI and they said that it had never been issued as it should have been. So, very nice of the ship customer service to give the discount to us, BUT, make sure you actually receive the voucher because you have to send it to them before final payment.

Makes you wonder how many of these are not issued by the cruise line and forgotten by the guest.

Perhaps I am being cynical but happy to be using the extra discount on our upcoming cruise.

Ellen

The same thing happened to me. I was quarantined for one day of our Panama Canal cruise in Dec. 2013. The letter I received onboard said my future cruise credit would be sent to my travel agent with whom I had booked the cruise. I forgot about it until I went to book another cruise and they had never gotten anything.

I called Royal's guest services and they are sending me a certificate in 4-6 weeks. I was able to call back in one week and find out the amount so I could decide whether to use it on the current cruise or save it. The amount was $170 which was the equivalent of one day of my cruise fare only (not including taxes, port fees, tips, etc.). The letter I received in my room said the future cruise credit would only be good for one year but because it wasn't issued until last week it's now good until May 2015. That works out better for me.

Edited by Agutaya
Spelling correction

My child was quarantined for a day and I had to stay with him in the cabin while missing out on a port we were keen on. Without asking we also got a cruise credit - in our case it was $205 for my son and upon our return our TA suggested I might also be eligible as I had to be 'quarantined' in the cabin to look after him for the 24 hours. Sure enough RCI had no problem with this and we ended up with $410 credit. I thought that was fantastic customer service. My nine year old actually 'enjoyed' the quarantine of free movies, speedy room service and watching dolphins and seals from our balcony as he was feeling fine with no further symptons after a couple of hours.

As for the logistics we got the certificate sent direct to us very quickly after the cruise (i.e. it did not go to the TA) and it was valid for two years (i.e. cruise had to be booked and taken within two years). We are in Australia so things may happen differently in your part of the world.

My child was quarantined for a day and I had to stay with him in the cabin while missing out on a port we were keen on. Without asking we also got a cruise credit - in our case it was $205 for my son and upon our return our TA suggested I might also be eligible as I had to be 'quarantined' in the cabin to look after him for the 24 hours. Sure enough RCI had no problem with this and we ended up with $410 credit. I thought that was fantastic customer service. My nine year old actually 'enjoyed' the quarantine of free movies, speedy room service and watching dolphins and seals from our balcony as he was feeling fine with no further symptons after a couple of hours.

That is excellent service.

I wonder what folks have that RCI is only restricting for one day? My son had NORO our last cruise and he was physically ill for 5 days.

Oh, I don't know, but if the cruise line got me sick and forced me to stay in my room, I'd think I'd be entitled at least to a discount/credit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I had Noro on an Alaska cruise, they quaranteened me for 48 hours and hubby for 24. RCL was great, checked on us, movies for free and offered a discount on our next cruise.

We called them a month or so after we got back and they issued us a certificate for half of the price we paid on the cruise. No questions asked, they totally took care of us from beginning to end!

Oh, I don't know, but if the cruise line got me sick and forced me to stay in my room, I'd think I'd be entitled at least to a discount/credit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

It's not the cruise lines fault if someone gets sick. If you've been on a cruise lately you'll see the extent of cleaning that goes on. But you have to do your part as well. They are being generous by giving a comp certificate, but I would never "expect" it!

The cruise line did not get you sick. You got yourself sick. You picked up the virus by something you touched and then transferred to your mouth/nose/eyes.

Would you expect a discount/credit if you got the flu/noro/cold/etc from grabbing onto a shopping cart at your local supermarket? Anyone can pick up a virus/bacteria from anywhere.

As far as forcing you to stay in your room, that is common health care to keep you from spreading the bug further.

Did you file a claim with your travel insurance for Trip Interruption?

That time while quarantined is a covered issue

Not unless you have documentation from the ship or an onboard medical person. Dependent on your policy, I seriously doubt that travel insurance will reimburse you without documentation.

If the cruise line reimburses you, there is no loss. I missed 3 days of our cruise in December with shingles. I did see the doctor and received medication. Travel insurance did reimburse the doctor visit and (very expensive) medication. There was no quarantine because it is not particularly contagious. I became ill on a cruise. There is no travel insurance reimbursement for lack of enjoyment. :)

That is excellent service.

I wonder what folks have that RCI is only restricting for one day? My son had NORO our last cruise and he was physically ill for 5 days.

I was told 24 hr quarantine from the last physical symptom of the Noro. So, if I was still having symptoms eg. vomiting/diarrhea it would have been longer. The Medic office and Front Desk called the cabin many times to check on me and ask questions on my condition. Maybe also to see I was in the cabin?

I was surprised to get the credit letter on the last day. Not using a TA the letter came to our home with the amount.

We cruise fairly often on Royal Caribbean. Of all of the cruises that we have been on.....we have never experienced Noro, until our last cruise, on the AOS Transatlantic.

I reported to the doctor, and after learning of my symptoms, limited me to my cabin for 24 hours. Shortly thereafter, my DW had the same symptoms, and she too was confined to quarters.

I must say that we had full run of the mini bar...which we enjoyed one Fresca, and full run of the moves while confined. We enjoyed watching "Frozen".

It's not all bad when one has an OS for confinement. After more than 100 cruises, where we have never experienced Noro Virus, it finally hit us.

Folks, it's not fun, it's gut retching for some hours. It comes in several forms, so mine was different from my DW's, but abiding by the rules of calling the medical center, allowed us to have a certificate for a future cruise.

Point here is............if you are ill, report it. You will be rewarded for coming forward, and the quarantine for 24 hours assures the rest of the ship that you will not be spreading the disease.

Rick

Not unless you have documentation from the ship or an onboard medical person. Dependent on your policy, I seriously doubt that travel insurance will reimburse you without documentation.

You are mistaken.

The ships doctor is who orders you to be quarateened.

What more documentation would one need than that?

You are wrong that Trip Interruption would not cover this.

Dh did not have noro, just a nasty cause of diarrhea that we couldn't get under control without the help of some medicine, which we could only get from the ship dr. Made me VERY thankful to have a balcony to open up the door and get fresh air.

Thanks ya'll for the info. I just tried submitting a claim to the travel insurance to see if our plan covered that. He did miss 2 ports from it.