Receiving discount from quarantine

You are mistaken.

The ships doctor is who orders you to be quarateened.

What more documentation would one need than that?

You are wrong that Trip Interruption would not cover this.

We have documentation. The letter from the ship doctor saying he is to stay int he room for the next 24-48 hours, and then a letter from Royal saying how many days he was quarantined from. So Hopefully this will be enough for them.

If your received a discount on your next cruise from being quarantined, how long did it take for you to get it? And how much did you receive? :cool:

We were on the Noro Virus cruise 1/21/14 on the Explorer, there were more the seven hundred sick, missed two ports,cruise cut short by two days.We were told discount certificates would come in the mail.Started to book new cruise called Royal Caribbean gave them my old booking number discount was applied to new cruise.No we did not get sick.Do we deserve the discount yes.People that got sick received a higher discount.Don't listen to the Royal cheer leaders :)

We cruise fairly often on Royal Caribbean. Of all of the cruises that we have been on.....we have never experienced Noro, until our last cruise, on the AOS Transatlantic.

I reported to the doctor, and after learning of my symptoms, limited me to my cabin for 24 hours. Shortly thereafter, my DW had the same symptoms, and she too was confined to quarters.

I must say that we had full run of the mini bar...which we enjoyed one Fresca, and full run of the moves while confined. We enjoyed watching "Frozen".

It's not all bad when one has an OS for confinement. After more than 100 cruises, where we have never experienced Noro Virus, it finally hit us.

Folks, it's not fun, it's gut retching for some hours. It comes in several forms, so mine was different from my DW's, but abiding by the rules of calling the medical center, allowed us to have a certificate for a future cruise.

Point here is............if you are ill, report it. You will be rewarded for coming forward, and the quarantine for 24 hours assures the rest of the ship that you will not be spreading the disease.

Rick

Sorry you got sick,but you did the right thing.Report it and help stop the spread of this virus.Have a great next cruise.:)

Sorry you got sick,but you did the right thing.Report it and help stop the spread of this virus.Have a great next cruise.:)

I should correct one thing, that I believe has already been mentioned. The 24 hour confinement, starts from the time of being symptom free. I must say that the medical staff were excellent in checking on us, and called to let us know when it was OK to once again go about the ship.

Room service also had our room number, and we could get pretty much anything that we wanted. I know that being in a suite gives us the full menu, so I asked the Hotel Director about food choices if we were just in a balcony, and he told me that room service will nicely expand the menu for anyone quarantined in smaller cabins as well.

Rick

Not unless you have documentation from the ship or an onboard medical person. Dependent on your policy, I seriously doubt that travel insurance will reimburse you without documentation.

If the cruise line reimburses you, there is no loss. I missed 3 days of our cruise in December with shingles. I did see the doctor and received medication. Travel insurance did reimburse the doctor visit and (very expensive) medication. There was no quarantine because it is not particularly contagious. I became ill on a cruise. There is no travel insurance reimbursement for lack of enjoyment. :)

Thanks for posting this information, Patti, that answers a question for me that I suspected was the case. :)

I should correct one thing, that I believe has already been mentioned. The 24 hour confinement, starts from the time of being symptom free. I must say that the medical staff were excellent in checking on us, and called to let us know when it was OK to once again go about the ship.

Room service also had our room number, and we could get pretty much anything that we wanted. I know that being in a suite gives us the full menu, so I asked the Hotel Director about food choices if we were just in a balcony, and he told me that room service will nicely expand the menu for anyone quarantined in smaller cabins as well.

Rick

I was on the 1-24 Explorer cruise Noro cruise, and I did become sick in the first wave, went to medical and was given generic meds and was told to stay in my room for 24 hours after all symptoms had passed. In the end, it turned out I was quarantined for 3 days, but there was no communication , except a call from medical on the last day of the quarantine , asking if my symptoms had passed , and released me from quarantine. I never knew about the room service menu being expanded, I fact I often had trouble getting through to the room service number.

I was in a balcony stateroom, so I was glad to be able to sit outside and escape the cold New England winter.

My mistake was not contacting the Concierge for his help during this. And he gave me the dickens afterward, for not calling him, saying that is why he was there.

DW did not get sick.

After the cruise, we got vouchers for a future cruise, one in DWs name and one in mine. Mine was more, reflecting the quarantine.

And they did give us double points for the cruise.

Based on this post, i will know better if it happens again.

If it weren't for cruis critic, I would not have known this.

Edited by mo&fran

WOW is all I have to say about this. Maybe re-read a post before slamming the person.

SORRY..... Give me a break here. I read the initial post as someone was trying to get RCL to give them a discount because they got sick.

I did not know that RCL gives one an automatic future discount anytime they are required to stay in their cabin. That is certainly an incentive to go down to Medical if they are not feeling well though. :)

would you have had to see the ships doctor before they credited you and was there any charge to report your illness? thanks

If you think that you have Noro Virus (you can look up the symptoms elsewhere) you must report that to the medical office. The consultation is free, and so were the medications. There was no charge whatsoever, and we were then given a note from the Guest Services Manager that told us that we would receive credit for the time that we were quarantined.

I will follow up with Miami shortly for the adjustment, for final payment on another cruise.

Rick

If you think that you have Noro Virus (you can look up the symptoms elsewhere) you must report that to the medical office. The consultation is free, and so were the medications. There was no charge whatsoever, and we were then given a note from the Guest Services Manager that told us that we would receive credit for the time that we were quarantined.

I will follow up with Miami shortly for the adjustment, for final payment on another cruise.

Rick

thanks for the info, just in case it happens on a future cruise

You are mistaken.

Your comment got me curious so I called my travel insurance company. I was quarantined for one day and have a letter as documentation. Since I wasn't charged anything for medical care and didn't lose any money from canceling an excursion there really wasn't any financial loss to report, thus no compensation. In addition, since our cruise was almost 6 months ago I asked how long we had to make a claim and was told it was one year. YMMV.

would you have had to see the ships doctor before they credited you and was there any charge to report your illness? thanks

You do have to see the medical staff to get credited. I'm not sure if it would have to be the doctor or if seeing a nurse would do. I don't recall seeing a doctor the time I got noro, only a nurse.

The first day I had it I was so sick I couldn't even make it to the clinic. I called down and self reported. They said to come down. I said i couldn't make it and they offered to send a nurse up with a wheelchair to bring me down. That sounded like torture so I said, "No thanks." I was still sick the next day so made it down to the clinic. The shot they gave me for nausea worked like magic. If I had known that I would have somehow made it to the clinic the day before.

By all, or any, means go to the medical clinic if you think you have noro and get treatment. It will help you feel better, you may be compensated, you may help save someone else from getting it and the treatment is free if it is noro. This is the first time in all our cruises that either of us has gotten it. We hope it is our last, but if it isn't we'll report right away, get better, and get on with enjoying the cruise.

My daughter and I both were quarantined for 24 hours with suspected noro when we were on the Oasis 5/10. Royal gave us a a letter that says we get a day compensation each in the form of a future cruise credit. They had a few cases the week of our sailing and our room attendant said she was ill the week prior too.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Rick

Yes, no cost and was given some medication. Also got the note that we woud receive credit.

We were on Allure JAN/2013. After about 30 cruises, this was the first time one of us got it. Been on a ship that had it too, with no self-serve WJ etc.!!! and been careful every time cruising but it finally got me!

DH did not get it but they were very attentive with phone calls. Front Desk and Medical office 2-3X a day. I did not see the Dr. but the nurse had me fill out a form about where/what I ate for the previous 3 days.

No fun is right!!! Sure hope to not get it again.......:eek:

We both had noro on our last cruise. We recieved a letter from guest relations saying we would each get two days of future cruise credit. If we did not receive the certificate in four weeks, to call the TA. We called the TA who didn't know what I was talking about so he called RCCL and received ever more confusing information.

It took a while, but I got through to Corporate Relations (1-800-256-6649). I needed the booking number for the sick cruise and the booking number we wanted to apply the credit to. I did have to follow up since only one was applied but only one more phone call and the second one was applied.

Once I found the right department to help me with it, it was very easy to use the credit.

You are mistaken.

I am not mistaken, and you are misreading. I think we are saying the same thing in a different fashion.

If you have Noro virus and you see the ship's physician. You are given treatment and placed on quarantine in your cabin for X days. You receive documentation from shipboard medical that you have been confined to your cabin. One of 2 things may happen:

The cruise line gives you a credit for X days that you were confined to your cabin. There is no financial loss, and there is nothing to submit or try to recover from travel insurance.

The cruise line does not give you a credit for X days that you were confined to your cabin. In this case you could file a claim with your travel insurance company for trip interruption and submit the documentation that you were confined to your cabin for X days of your cruise.

Unfortunately there is a third scenario, where you experience a non- contagious illness, are seen and treated by a shipboard physician, but you aren't confined to your cabin. You can come and go as much as your pain or symptoms allow. Even though you may miss X days of your cruise, other than the absence of Seapass charges, there is no documentation showing that you missed those days. Unless you have some super-duper travel insurance policy that I am unaware of....those days you spent supine in the cabin NOT enjoying the cruise are just a loss.:)

We were quarantined on Disney, got the free movies, free can soda. I didn't get a sense Disney "cared" about us by checking up very OFTEN, as much as I felt like a prisoner and they were checking up on us to make sure we were staying in our cabin. I called room service and was grilled who the sandwich was for. My daughter got sick before me and was not permitted any solid food. Disney never offered us anything.

This is the second time I've been hit with Norovirus. The first time I had to call their help desk once I got home to get them to start processing the credit, and my TA called them this time.

Both times, medical called me about a day and 22 hours after I'd visited them about lifting the quarantine. I'd actually thrown up w/in the last 24 hours when they called, so they had to extend my quarantine and note two days credit in my letter.

Shore excursions desk was wonderful about cancelling in refunding. As it turned out, we had to cancel two days of excursions. Since we prepaid most of our shore excursions, we ended up with a credit to our card once we returned home. Our diamond concierge had to reschedule our specialty dining reservation twice.

I am not mistaken, and you are misreading. I think we are saying the same thing in a different fashion.

If you have Noro virus and you see the ship's physician. You are given treatment and placed on quarantine in your cabin for X days. You receive documentation from shipboard medical that you have been confined to your cabin. One of 2 things may happen:

The cruise line gives you a credit for X days that you were confined to your cabin. There is no financial loss, and there is nothing to submit or try to recover from travel insurance.

The cruise line does not give you a credit for X days that you were confined to your cabin. In this case you could file a claim with your travel insurance company for trip interruption and submit the documentation that you were confined to your cabin for X days of your cruise.

Unfortunately there is a third scenario, where you experience a non- contagious illness, are seen and treated by a shipboard physician, but you aren't confined to your cabin. You can come and go as much as your pain or symptoms allow. Even though you may miss X days of your cruise, other than the absence of Seapass charges, there is no documentation showing that you missed those days. Unless you have some super-duper travel insurance policy that I am unaware of....those days you spent supine in the cabin NOT enjoying the cruise are just a loss.:)

That information coincides with our experience, and in speaking to others, their experiences. :)

They dont have to offer you a thing, You could just as easily get a tummy ache at school or work. It is life and a cruise ship is much cleaner than work or school i can tell you. The sheer arrogance of demanding feebies because of an illness is mind boggling.