ID for Alaska cruise?

alyssa0922

Hi All,

Surprising my dad with a last minute cruise to Alaska. Myself, my dad, and my 11 month old would be going. Are we ok with just our regular drivers licenses, do we need the enhanced WA state license, or our passports? The cruise does stop in Victoria.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If it is closed loop (same start and end port) then you are OK with driver's license and "official" birth certificate. If it is one way with fly there or back you need a passport.

Edited by denmarks

With a stop in Victoria, sounds like you are looking at closed loop cruise, starts and ends at the same port. If so, you do not require a passport. If you are U.S. citizens then those over 16 will need an original official government issued birth certificate plus an enhanced government issued ID like a drivers license. Children under 16 require the official birth certificate only. Look here for the official information: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background

If any case I would call Princess at 1 800 princess

Princess policy is that if only one parent is traveling with a minor, they need to have passports. In the event (god forbid) that something happened to the child or the parent and one had to be disembarked at a Canadian port, they would have to have passports to stay together.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

Check with Princess, but it sounds like you and your son need passports, while your father would be okay with just his driver's license and original birth cert.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp - third link is for travel document requirements.

Can you take your son back and forth to Canada with his BC and your enhanced drivers license?

Most of us have little idea about the Enhanced Drivers License because pitifully few states have them available.

Passports would solve any and all of your issues.

As noted, Princess policy will require a passport for you and your child for any cruise, in case of emergency. With that in mind, in the offchance there is an issue, its better for your dad to have one as well, as it grealy reduces any drama in transit (for example, without one - even if you had an issue in Skagway, they could not fly you home via Vancouver if that was the most practical way.

Hi All,

Surprising my dad with a last minute cruise to Alaska. Myself, my dad, and my 11 month old would be going. Are we ok with just our regular drivers licenses, do we need the enhanced WA state license, or our passports? The cruise does stop in Victoria.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess policy is that if only one parent is traveling with a minor, they need to have passports.

The policy says if "only one adult," not "only one parent."

Since there will be two adults, the passports are not required by this policy.

Hi All,

Thank you!

A DL would be OK in each port on and off the ship, but its best to travel with a passport.

The policy says if "only one adult," not "only one parent."

Since there will be two adults, the passports are not required by this policy.

In which case they'd need not just driver's licenses but certified/notarized birth certificate as well. A hospital birth certificate or a copy are not acceptable.

Passports are highly recommended and would make embarkation and disembarkation a lot easier, particularly with a child.

Edited by Pam in CA

A DL would be OK in each port on and off the ship, but its best to travel with a passport.

But the certified birth certificate will also be required to check-in to board the ship on embarkation day if you are using the DL.