Allure dining room dress code

Per information provided on the RCCL website and on the ships themselves, shorts of any kind are not permitted in the MDR for dinner. There are examples where men (both boys and adults) wearing shorts have been allowed access to the MDR but there are also examples where these individuals have been turned away. IMO, I wouldn't want to take the risk on being that person who is stopped at the door in front of everyone and asked to return to my stateroom and change.

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago I wore shorts the first night and the last night along with my polo but this was due to me being tired and lazy. Also on the Allure if you're seated in one of the side dining areas you don't even have to go through the main entrance.

Kids are not a separate social group with special rules.....so therefore, the dress code for kids, are the same as an adult! Although many people will tell you it's ok for shorts, and that people are seen doing it, it is not common, and just like in regular society, people will be seen dressed in a manner that is different than what is expected. Even on occasion, you will see a person, with one of those t-shirts with a tux design on it, enter a formal dinner.:rolleyes:

Edited by Havingfun2010

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago I wore shorts the first night and the last night along with my polo but this was due to me being tired and lazy. Also on the Allure if you're seated in one of the side dining areas you don't even have to go through the main entrance.

They tend to look the other way the first night since luggage may not yet have been delivered. Our DGS started cruising at age 6 and never wore shorts in the MDR.

tired and lazy? :rolleyes: this seems the theme now adays , people just cant be bothered to dress up a bit.

I see shorts every single day in the main dining room.

I see no one turned away.

Everyone does whatever s/he wants these days.

That's the reality. Not the suggested guidelines (aka, dress code), but the reality.

That's the reality. Not the suggested guidelines (aka, dress code), but the reality.

No there is a limit, i have seen sleeveless shirts turned away on GOS.

Reality is unfortunate, although we do have to live with it that doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

Last week the dress was surprisingly very respectful but there were exceptions allowed in MDR (sleeveless tees, shorts, etc.

You surely must have a pair of pants to have your young one wear. A cruise is something special for kids too.

Is it okay for kids/teens to wear shorts to dinner, or are long pants required?

Yes, I understand that there are “Suggested” Guidelines as to the attire that should be worn in the dining room.

Remember there is also a “suggested” number of fruit and vegetable servings one should eat in a day. Not everyone adheres to that either J

Be prepared for a backlash of what others think you should wear on YOUR cruise!!

Please….Don’t take any remarks on here personal.

Remember it’s your VACATION!

What you wear is YOUR business!!

No one else’s!

If a fellow cruiser insists that someone else wearing a pair of nice, clean shorts in the dining room will ruin their dinner then they pay way to much attention to others.

They need to mind their own business and concentrate on their own meal.

It’s their problem..not yours!

Will a pair of shorts affect the quality of their food? Realistically…. No? Will it affect the level of service they receive from their server? Realistically…No!!

People waste way too much time worrying about what others do and do not do on their vacations.

It’s simple..If it doesn’t impact your vacation directly then what a fellow cruiser does,wears, says is really none of anyone else’s business !!!!!!!!!

Don’t let anyone else make you feel like you are a 2nd class cruiser just because you want your child to wear shorts in the dining room.

Wear what your family feels is comfortable in.

The short answer is Yes.

A pair of long pants are preferred on formal nights. Our son wears clean, neat and tidy shorts every other night and a pair of khaki pants and a polo shirt on formal nights. (And this isn’t limited to RCCL... He’s worn this attire on higher classed lines as well)

Will others give you the stink eye if someone in your party wears shorts…yes!

Just smile and pass them by!!

Edited by vacation_junkie

Yes, I understand that there are “Suggested” Guidelines as to the attire that should be worn in the dining room.

Remember there is also a “suggested” number of fruit and vegetable servings one should eat in a day. Not everyone adheres to that either J

Be prepared for a backlash of what others think you should wear on YOUR cruise!!

No one else’s!

If a fellow cruiser insists that someone else wearing a pair of nice, clean shorts in the dining room will ruin their dinner then they pay way to much attention to others.

Will a pair of shorts affect the quality of their food? Realistically…. No? Will it affect the level of service they receive from their server? Realistically…No!!

People waste way too much time worrying about what others do and do not do on their vacations.

It’s simple..If it doesn’t impact your vacation directly then what a fellow cruiser does,wears, says is really none of anyone else’s business !!!!!!!!!

Don’t let anyone else make you feel like you are a 2nd class cruiser just because you want your child to wear shorts in the dining room.

The short answer is Yes.

A pair of long pants are preferred on formal nights. Our son wears clean, neat and tidy shorts every other night and a pair of khaki pants and a polo shirt on formal nights. (And this isn’t limited to RCCL... He’s worn this attire on higher classed lines as well)

Well said and I agree with you!!

No one else’s!

The short answer is Yes.

Q. E. D., in other words, SEE?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Even though I wasn't looking for individual opinions on whether shorts are appropriate or not, I appreciate what everyone had to say. I guess I should have worded my question differently. What I wanted to know was whether my 14 yr old son would be allowed in the dining room on non-formal nights wearing shorts, or if the "no shorts" was a strictly enforced rule, specifically on the Allure.

Vacation_Junkie, I really liked your reply. And no, I'm not taking any of the remarks personally. Do you mind if I ask how old your son is?

Merion_Mom, what did you mean by your last reply? What is Q.E.D?

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Even though I wasn't looking for individual opinions on whether shorts are appropriate or not, I appreciate what everyone had to say. I guess I should have worded my question differently. What I wanted to know was whether my 14 yr old son would be allowed in the dining room on non-formal nights wearing shorts, or if the "no shorts" was a strictly enforced rule, specifically on the Allure.

Vacation_Junkie, I really liked your reply. And no, I'm not taking any of the remarks personally. Do you mind if I ask how old your son is?

Merion_Mom, what did you mean by your last reply? What is Q.E.D?

Well, as I wrote, "see?" In other words, that poster proved my point.

Q.E.D. literally means "quod erat demonstrandum" and is used in mathematical and scientific proofs, and means "that which was to be proven" (has now been proven)

:)

There's a simple solution to this dilemma: Leave the kid at home!

I don't have children, so I don't understand. I'm sure someone will clue me in!

On a side note, I did notice somebody on my last cruise on formal night wearing a kilt! How is that different from shorts?

I just play it safe and wear my tux!

Elvis

There's a simple solution to this dilemma: Leave the kid at home!

I don't have children, so I don't understand. I'm sure someone will clue me in!

On a side note, I did notice somebody on my last cruise on formal night wearing a kilt! How is that different from shorts?

I just play it safe and wear my tux!

Elvis

1. A kilt is not shorts. It's a skirt. :)

2. A full outfit is formalwear. Haven't you seen the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral???? :D

3. Just because "tux" is formal in YOUR culture doesn't mean that a "kilt" isn't formal in another culture.

Gee, I hope that your post was a joke.........at least you have been a member since 2006. ;)