Allure dining room dress code

Our 13 year old grandson wears long pants and a polo shirt to dinner when we dine in the MDR. He wears his flip flops or sneakers. If others don't like it I don't care. We always get a 4-top table so we are not sitting with others.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Even though I wasn't looking for individual opinions on whether shorts are appropriate or not, I appreciate what everyone had to say. I guess I should have worded my question differently. What I wanted to know was whether my 14 yr old son would be allowed in the dining room on non-formal nights wearing shorts, or if the "no shorts" was a strictly enforced rule, specifically on the Allure.

Vacation_Junkie, I really liked your reply. And no, I'm not taking any of the remarks personally. Do you mind if I ask how old your son is?

Merion_Mom, what did you mean by your last reply? What is Q.E.D?

He is 14.

He has been on more cruises then he is old and he was worn shorts in every single main dining room on every ship/line we've sailed from Carnival to Seaborn.

He doesn't wear shorts to " disrespect" anyone. We come from the north the kids wants to wear shorts as much as he can while he escapes the snow and cold.

We always request our own table as well. It's not that we don't like dining with others as per say..it's that we enjoy the quiet meals together to regroup as a family :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last week, we saw people in shorts every night, including formal night. Not a whole lot on most days (and less on formal night), but they were in there.

Forgive me, but I sincerely doubt you saw this. On occasion, one might slip by, but Allure will turn people away when noticed. I was just on it, and saw it. When posts like this, it sounds, more like a person wants to push their agenda, to get more people dressing like they don't care.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Even though I wasn't looking for individual opinions on whether shorts are appropriate or not, I appreciate what everyone had to say. I guess I should have worded my question differently. What I wanted to know was whether my 14 yr old son would be allowed in the dining room on non-formal nights wearing shorts, or if the "no shorts" was a strictly enforced rule, specifically on the Allure.

Vacation_Junkie, I really liked your reply. And no, I'm not taking any of the remarks personally. Do you mind if I ask how old your son is?

Merion_Mom, what did you mean by your last reply? What is Q.E.D?

A one year old, is cute wearing shorts, but a 14 year old should be in the process of preparing for manhood. It's not cute anymore, and they should be directed to dress appropriately. For the posters that said it is ok, I believe, they mistook this for Carnival, where, anything goes. The Allure, as well as all the RCCL family of ships, you will find, the large majority, respect the dress code, and more important, they will respect it on formal nights. Out of thousands of people in the dining room a small percentage of around 2-3% will dress "as they want" because it is "their vacation" and "I'm spoiled, and no one will tell me what to do".

Even on occasion, you will see a person, with one of those t-shirts with a tux design on it, enter a formal dinner.:rolleyes:

I saw that on the Oasis a few years back. It was sad to look at. I think he felt embarrassed by it.

A one year old, is cute wearing shorts, but a 14 year old should be in the process of preparing for manhood. It's not cute anymore, and they should be directed to dress appropriately. For the posters that said it is ok, I believe, they mistook this for Carnival, where, anything goes. The Allure, as well as all the RCCL family of ships, you will find, the large majority, respect the dress code, and more important, they will respect it on formal nights. Out of thousands of people in the dining room a small percentage of around 2-3% will dress "as they want" because it is "their vacation" and "I'm spoiled, and no one will tell me what to do".

Well as the mother of a 14 year old girl, she certainly thinks 14 year old boys are cute ;) and the thing is, 14 year olds dress in the fashion of their era, not what us old people think.

Personally, it really depends on what their mates are doing (the ones they make on the cruise) and I would never, ever, expect my teen to dress differently from their mates just to follow the appropriateness of the older generations.

I dress up and I love seeing my Hubbie in tux. Having a daughter she also likes wearing very short dresses and very high heels which are the deal at the moment. Ridiculous but hey ho. And if she had a mate come to our dinner table, and he was in shorts, so long as he smiled and was polite I wouldn't give two hoots.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Edited by Adayatatime

My boys are older now so it isn't an issue but when they were teens, they followed the guidelines for dinner and then changed into shorts afterward.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that teenage boys are not always dressed appropriately but the teen girls sure are! I took two 16 year olds on the Navigator last week and they were dressed up every single night (they changed after dinner). I will note that I didn't see any shorts at dinner (but will admit to not really looking)

It was important to me that my kids learned to dress as requested but I understand that it isn't an issue for every parent. Some kids are not comfortable wearing shorts because it is widely publicized that they are not allowed.

The wearing of shorts sort of puts the teen on the "kid" side and not the "adult" side. Every kid will feel differently about this. Some will care, some will not. I think, to some degree, it will depend on the maturity level of the teen.

Edited by galavant3

1. A kilt is not shorts. It's a skirt. :)

2. A full outfit is formalwear. Haven't you seen the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral???? :D

3. Just because "tux" is formal in YOUR culture doesn't mean that a "kilt" isn't formal in another culture.

Gee, I hope that your post was a joke.........at least you have been a member since 2006. ;)

Yes, it was a joke!

Elvis

:cool:

1. A kilt is not shorts. It's a skirt. :)

2. A full outfit is formalwear. Haven't you seen the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral???? :D

3. Just because "tux" is formal in YOUR culture doesn't mean that a "kilt" isn't formal in another culture.

Gee, I hope that your post was a joke.........at least you have been a member since 2006. ;)

And I have seen Prince Charles many times in formal wear with a kilt! :cool:

See that's what I love about CC. If you ever have any doubt about how you should be living your life or raising your kids or guiding your teenage son into manhood, someone will be along shortly to let you know :D

Havingfun2010 I'm sorry you had to endure the hardship of seeing only 97-98% of the people in the dining room respecting the dress code. These are dark times indeed.

My boys are older now so it isn't an issue but when they were teens, they followed the guidelines for dinner and then changed into shorts afterward.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that teenage boys are not always dressed appropriately but the teen girls sure are! I took two 16 year olds on the Navigator last week and they were dressed up every single night (they changed after dinner). I will note that I didn't see any shorts at dinner (but will admit to not really looking)

It was important to me that my kids learned to dress as requested but I understand that it isn't an issue for every parent. Some kids are not comfortable wearing shorts because it is widely publicized that they are not allowed.

The wearing of shorts sort of puts the teen on the "kid" side and not the "adult" side. Every kid will feel differently about this. Some will care, some will not. I think, to some degree, it will depend on the maturity level of the teen.

I think girls dress up as that is the fashion at the moment. I don't personally think it is to follow any rules. I don't think long trousers equates to maturity either. I think some parents, as you say, find it important and some do not. Whereas I do understand 'uniform' it doesn't bother me, at all, what teens wear. Except for my daughters shoes, I have nightmares about them.

See that's what I love about CC. If you ever have any doubt about how you should be living your life or raising your kids or guiding your teenage son into manhood, someone will be along shortly to let you know :D

Havingfun2010 I'm sorry you had to endure the hardship of seeing only 97-98% of the people in the dining room respecting the dress code. These are dark times indeed.

I would much rather see teens in shorts anywhere than little 'mini-me's' of old men :eek: I also quite like them hanging around the ship playing guitars and chilling. So much stress on teenagers now its good to see them relax.

Is it okay for kids/teens to wear shorts to dinner, or are long pants required?

the dress code is for all ages, not just adults. no shorts at dinner in the MDR.

one pair of khakis will last them all week as they can change into them for dinner and back out afterward.

they are going to have to learn to dress accordingly soon enough , might as well give them a taste of it now.

I think girls dress up as that is the fashion at the moment. I don't personally think it is to follow any rules. I don't think long trousers equates to maturity either. I think some parents, as you say, find it important and some do not. Whereas I do understand 'uniform' it doesn't bother me, at all, what teens wear. Except for my daughters shoes, I have nightmares about them.

I haven't give it much thought but I would have to agree that girls just like to dress up and it really isn't about compliance.

It does seem like people always think "kids" should not have to adhere to the guidelines which is what made me think of maturity level.

Bottom line is parenting is hard enough and I don't think dress code on a cruise ship is the "hill to die on" for any of us.

I love the veiled insults that come with the dress code threads. If your teen wants to wear shorts and doesn't care its because they are not mature.:rolleyes:

OP, your son will be fine in shorts. My teen will be wearing them for all casual nights.

Edited by deedeetoo

I love the veiled insults that come with the dress code threads. Iif your teen wants to wear shorts and doesn't care its because they are not mature.

OP, your son will be fine in shorts. My teen will be wearing them for all casual nights.

I promise you that was not how it was intended. My point was just that at age 14 some kids are more mature and consider themselves to be closer to adulthood and others are still "kids". It really is a transitional time.

There's a simple solution to this dilemma: Leave the kid at home!

I don't have children, so I don't understand. I'm sure someone will clue me in!

On a side note, I did notice somebody on my last cruise on formal night wearing a kilt! How is that different from shorts?

I just play it safe and wear my tux!

Elvis

umm a KILT is FORMAL DRESS. shorts are not..unless you are in Bermuda and have them appropriately tailored. problem is 'shorts' these days seems to be a baggy basketball uniform as opposed to a crisp pair of belted khaki trousers cut off at the knee and hemmed nicely.

Is it okay for kids/teens to wear shorts to dinner, or are long pants required?

If by "okay" you mean within the cruise lines recommended dress code the answer is no. If by "okay" you mean "I paid good money for this cruise and I'll do what I darn well please" then of course it's okay.:rolleyes:

Forgive me, but I sincerely doubt you saw this. On occasion, one might slip by, but Allure will turn people away when noticed. I was just on it, and saw it. When posts like this, it sounds, more like a person wants to push their agenda, to get more people dressing like they don't care.

Forgive me, not trying to push any type of agenda but...just off the Allure also. Early seating deck 4 and I will say that it was far more than just "one" person wearing shorts that slipped by on both formal nights. Doubt me if you will but I know what I saw.

How will wearing shorts vs pants honestly affect someone's meal? Seriously people :eek:

It doesn't alter the quality of the food nor the level of service that you will receive!

As well how does pants prepare someone for manhood?

What he wears absolutely does not affect the type of person he is nor will turn out to be!

My husband whom is a highly respected Cardiothoracic surgeon does not wear a tie to the main dining room.... and not on formal night either. :eek: for shame!!!!

Does that mean he's less of a person or a 2nd class cruiser?

People need to mind their manners and really.. what one wears is none of anyone else's business but their own!!

I don't care what someone else wears, I'm there to enjoy my vacation.

How will wearing shorts vs pants honestly affect someone's meal? Seriously people :eek:

It doesn't alter the quality of the food nor the level of service that you will receive!

As well how does pants prepare someone for manhood?

What he wears absolutely does not affect the type of person he is nor will turn out to be!

My husband whom is a highly respected Cardiothoracic surgeon does not wear a tie to the main dining room.... and not on formal night either. :eek: for shame!!!!

Does that mean he's less of a person or a 2nd class cruiser?

People need to mind their manners and really.. what one wears is none of anyone else's business but their own!!

I don't care what someone else wears, I'm there to enjoy my vacation.

Have you ever seen the legs on some of those people? Believe me, I'm doing you a favor by keeping mine covered! (On formal and casual nights!!!)

Elvis

I'm doing you a favor by keeping mine covered! (On formal and casual nights!!!)

Same here! First of all, my legs are pasty WHITE! :eek: Secondly, Im paraplegic and muscle atrophy has set in big time over the last 20 years making them very skinny. My legs and upper body remind me of a pair of toothpicks stuck into a potato and Im very self concious about it.

You wont ever find me in the MDR wearing shorts! I dont even LIKE wearing them to the pool but people would stare if I jumped in with my pants on :p

I just simply do NOT care what others wear and am all about everyone being comfortable on their vacation but still being able to enjoy the served meals in the MDR that they paid for.

Edited by ryano

I am curious, how is wearing shorts dressing like you don't care. Don't care about what? My shorts are very nice and the only difference in them and long pants is the length. They are hemmed, have buttons, zippers and belt loops. I wear them about 9 out 12 months.